• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Suggestion The Dark Side of RPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mx.Trinity

Pro Stranger
Ya know like... a locked thread that if you try to make a topic in or try to go in at all will give you a notification saying "some of the material contained here is for mature audiences only, and may be offensive to some."

This would just be a place to vent, no adult images or anything like that. Sure we come here to have fun but my definition of fun is a lot different. I don't like walking on eggshells here on the site because someone might take something that wasn't even meant to be offensive, offensively. It's getting a bit excessive at this point and I'd like a place for myself and other people like me to belong or feel welcome on this site. I think you can take a look at my thread that was deleted and piece together what I'm getting at. It was a lighthearted jab, not something that should've been taken negatively.

Just wanted to vent a little I know what staff is going to say or at least, about what they're going to say.

"Here at RPN we promote creativity and fun, if we allow an area like that it will just promote negativity and that's not what RPN's purpose is. It's to help our roleplayers feel welcome."

Which sure... I get it. But in doing so you're like... kinda alienating another group of people... like the ones that like to rough house and tease each other with profanity and crude images. Anyways... I won't make you facepalm anymore just sad this site isn't even really PG-13. I'm just upset that I can't joke around with my friends without other users getting offended and reporting my posts. That's all.

Agreed.
I'm glad I'm not the only one whose experiencing this.
Theres quite a few people here who are honestly single-minded, you can't state your own mind anymore and not say anything insulting or rude without them thinking it's somehow offensive and going off on you. I've had quite a few hurtful things said to me all because didn't like something specific.
Along with people who find the smallest of faults and are suddenly just 'I don't like that, bye'.
But yes, mostly to what you said, I agree with that. This site should have a few changes.

Agreed.

Theres quite a few people here who are honestly single-minded, you can't state your own mind anymore and not say anything insulting or rude without them thinking it's somehow offensive and going off on you. I've had quite a few hurtful things said to me all because didn't like something specific.
Along with people who find the smallest of faults and are suddenly just 'I don't like that, bye'.
But yes, mostly to what you said, I agree with that. This site should have a few changes.
Well the thing is... my thread that got deleted.. everyone in there was having a good time, they were just being silly and I'm assuming someone just happened upon it, didn't like it, and reported it then disappeared without saying anything. Like... nothing offensive was said to the person or about the person. I feel like if that sort of post needs to be deleted and isn't RPN safe then NONE of the debate posts should exist. Especially ones like "roleplay pet peeves" or any other kind of debate topic because people will naturally not agree and some users could get offended by it.

I think by setting up an area of the site where users can rant or just be themselves without fear of judgement would be a good thing. The rules of RPN would still apply, users would be notified before they read anything that the content could be seen as offensive, and making a general set of rules for this section of the site like "Keep it ethical" and "no targeting other members" could be a good way to moderate it.

I once said that someones post "wasn't necessary" because it was almost an exact copy of another users reply and got chastised to high hell because of it. Like trivial issues like that shouldn't even be an issue especially if the person I said it to doesn't take offense and doesn't report me for it.

I've had plenty of intelligent conversations that someone could of easily taken offense to but didn't because both parties mutually agreed that it wasn't offensive. I feel like allowing anyone anywhere to report any comment or any thread rather they're involved or not is pushing a professional victim agenda.

"XYZ said F*** I don't like that so I'm going to report it, even though I've never talked to this person"

Like... where's the equality in that? I feel there should be some level of flexibility with posts and threads. I think it should be an individual by individual basis or report template. For example if two friends are calling each other names I shouldn't be able to report them for it because it's not up to me to decide if it's offensive for them. It being offensive to me is completely irrelevant; I'm not involved, and should have no reason to feel victimized.

Wow, I agree with the flexibility, and honestly a lot of people need to get over themselves and stop looking at others posts and whatnot and deciding themselves they don't like it so it should be removed because it's somehow offensive to them. I don't see why they even need get involved or anything, it's idiotic and self centered.
But yeah, I didn't know it was a MEME thread, now if that got taken down, then thats bull, they should already know Rees going to be offensive stuff. Hell, me and my friends joke about memes and very offensive ones all the time.

YES! Because it was "promoting a negative environment" *rolls eyes* Bacon is fluffy Bacon is fluffy
I'm sorry,but the rp discussion section is 90% ripping on other players without naming names. How is that not promoting a negative environment? But making a few jokes in light of what people actually say on this forum, is somehow worse? If people are constantly harping on other for being edgy and edge lords, why are they deleting your thread and not the others?

https://www.rpnation.com/threads/what-is-the-most-frustrating-rp-you-have-ever-been-apart-of.318725/

Take a look at these people. How is making a bunch of jokes using memes, supposed to be worse than people actually being jerks?

I'm sorry,but the rp discussion section is 90% ripping on other players without naming names. How is that not promoting a negative environment? But making a few jokes in light of what people actually say on this forum, is somehow worse? If people are constantly harping on other for being edgy and edge lords, why are they deleting your thread and not the others?

https://www.rpnation.com/threads/what-is-the-most-frustrating-rp-you-have-ever-been-apart-of.318725/

Take a look at these people. How is making a bunch of jokes using memes, supposed to be worse than people actually being jerks?
Right! It's the difference between laughing at someone at the expense of the individual rather than just laughing about things in general at no one's expense. I feel like targeted prejudice against individuals should be dealt with harshly but threads that are just meant to be fun and silly posting shouldn't be subjected to the report system. I think the entire thread was making fun of myself in one way or another, and things that I've seen.

Right! It's the difference between laughing at someone at the expense of the individual rather than just laughing about things in general at no one's expense. I feel like targeted prejudice against individuals should be dealt with harshly but threads that are just meant to be fun and silly posting shouldn't be subjected to the report system. I think the entire thread was making fun of myself in one way or another, and things that I've seen.
;-; Please dont punish me too harshly. I've already had my fair share posts of irritation in that cesspool. It's just, that actual negativity isn't being dealt with.

Haha I actually saw a lot of me in there, with all my characters who are antisocial assassins and what not. Hope you get a response you've been waiting for though.

The entire thread was mocking not just the entire site, but recognizable subgroups and in some cases recognizable members. Not using names does not remove the insult. There was no point to that thread besides the mockery. If you and your friends like to get off on that kind of thing, you are welcome to create a PM where none of your targets can see it.

We have the Negative Environment rule for a reason. Yes, it's subjective, but in cases such as these, it's decided on by multiple staff, not just one person, so several viewpoints are taken into consideration.

Anyone is free to report anything they see as against the rules. We can't be everywhere, although we do try.

;-; Please dont punish me too harshly. I've already had my fair share posts of irritation in that cesspool. It's just, that actual negativity isn't being dealt with.

Haha I actually saw a lot of me in there, with all my characters who are antisocial assassins and what not. Hope you get a response you've been waiting for though.
Me punish you? Never. Yes I agree however that's where the report system is supposed to come into play, but... can't catch everything. Though threads that have been going for a really long time with a reputation of negativity that haven't been dealt with... that's a bit different.

I won't get the response I'm waiting for, I never do. Rarely do suggestions ever get implemented because there's always some way around it, or the site already has it implemented or covered in some way, or it's too hard to do, etc. etc. etc. But I appreciate the sentiment <3

The entire thread was mocking not just the entire site, but recognizable subgroups and in some cases recognizable members. Not using names does not remove the insult. There was no point to that thread besides the mockery. If you and your friends like to get off on that kind of thing, you are welcome to create a PM where none of your targets can see it.

We have the Negative Environment rule for a reason. Yes, it's subjective, but in cases such as these, it's decided on by multiple staff, not just one person, so several viewpoints are taken into consideration.

Anyone is free to report anything they see as against the rules. We can't be everywhere, although we do try.

I'm not involved in this either way. I didn't even see this thread. I just had a question. Things like the Role Play Pet peeve thread has before mocked people who can't type all that much or there are ones mocking people who want a lot of replies. Negative words being used to describe them. Does that whole thread need to be looked at? They are insults without any names.

I just said I was mocking myself and things I've seen. While it can be justified as a personal attack it very clearly wasn't especially if you looked at the comments it was just a ridiculous thread meant for memes and random posting. If any sole individuals took offense to it... they're victimizing themselves and that's not my problem. There's a difference between laughing at a situation and laughing at someone with the intent of hurting their feelings. It wasn't supposed to be an insult it was supposed to be comedy, humorous. I think the whole environment rule is very subjective and should be handled on a case by case basis. Since staff recruit like minded individuals there's little room for flexibility or debate when it comes to these topics, so it's less a consensus and more of a majority vs minority. As you can see there are plenty of people who agree with what's been said and understand the difference.

I'm not involved in this either way. I didn't even see this thread. I just had a question. Things like the Role Play Pet peeve thread has before mocked people who can't type all that much or there are ones mocking people who want a lot of replies. Negative words being used to describe them. Does that whole thread need to be looked at? They are insults without any names.
Yep I for one had a prolonged discussion about the meaning of particular words like "literacy" and "literate". Feel free to warn me for having a discussion XD

Wait a minute, they deleted your meme thread just because?
I think it triggered some people. No one was targeted, mentioned, or attacked. It was a very broad "this site in a nutshell" post. Someone took offense to it, and it got taken down. There's apparently no difference between laughing at a situation and laughing at someone specific with the environment rule.

Any content that concerns a community member can be reported so that staff can review it. Not all the posts in roleplay pet peeves target specific members or member groups. [EDIT: when your tab refreshes an older save] So if there are any that you've found, report them.

Also, this topic is derailing from the purpose of discussing the suggestion of the original post and is instead focusing on speculation.

Any content that concerns a community member can be reported so that staff can review it. Not all the posts in roleplay pet peeves target specific members or member groups.

Also, this topic is derailing from the purpose of discussing the suggestion of the original post and is instead focusing on speculation.

Thank you for the answer. :)

Any content that concerns a community member can be reported so that staff can review it. Not all the posts in roleplay pet peeves target specific members or member groups.

No not all comments target specific members, but neither did my thread. So if my thread got taken down any threads similar should be taken down as well. As it promotes potentially negative comments, creating a negative environment.

I think it triggered some people. No one was targeted, mentioned, or attacked. It was a very broad "this site in a nutshell" post. Someone took offense to it, and it got taken down. There's apparently no difference between laughing at a situation and laughing at someone specific with the environment rule.

That's censorship to an extent if you ask me.

The pet peeves and worst RP threads tend not to even talk about people on this site in particular, whereas your thread specifically targeted the site. You were told why the thread had been deleted, the staff have the right to do what they deem necessary to keep this a good environment for all.
Fair enough some people can recognise the joke and the intent, but not all members will see it that way.
Sorry your thread was targeted on this occasion, but what's done is done.

The pet peeves and worst RP threads tend not to even talk about people on this site in particular, whereas your thread specifically targeted the site. You were told why the thread had been deleted, the staff have the right to do what they deem necessary to keep this a good environment for all.
Fair enough some people can recognise the joke and the intent, but not all members will see it that way.
Sorry your thread was targeted on this occasion, but what's done is done.
I don't see how that's possible as it's a thread about roleplay pet peeves specifically on a roleplay site.
I feel like if you're going to be offended by something that has nothing to do with you, you should just not involve yourself. It's the internet, there are blocking functions and the ability to choose what content you get to look at.
What's done is done, but that's not the point. I'm tired of censoring the way I talk because someone whose oversensitive may get offended. This is supposed to be a site for all roleplayers not just children. Flexibility is the issue here, and I feel I've offered a reasonable compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back