System/Mechanics The Cruelest Animal

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
I have a private theory, Sir, that there are no heroes and no monsters in this world. Only children should be allowed to use these words
Alfred de Vigny, 'Stello'

A World Without Sun

The City is often called simply that; The City. The thanatocrats call it Umbra without a trace of irony, and well, they would know, one supposes. It is found on no map, and some say that by the twisting, arcane nature of the place the idea of mapping it is a hopeless dream besides - it sprawls endlessly inward from the dark sea and the lights of its towers can be seen far beyond the furthest known street. Who dwells in those lost boroughs, we do not know.

The streets are cobbled, in various states of repair. The buildings are tightly packed, often two or three stories tall over narrow streets, the monotony broken by dismal parks, unsettling monuments, and civic institutions long abandoned. Some streets have gas street lamps, a few electric. Rats, cats, crows, and feral dogs are common.

The sun does not rise, in this place. Only moons of varying size and colour to give any living rhythm to the place. Surprisingly, this seems to have no physiological effect on the people who live here. Unsurprisingly, no scientist remains unchanged by their new home; either driven quite mad by the revelation that much of the natural sciences seem to collapse in the City, or inspired to dark brilliance by the possibilities.

Ask anyone living the date, and they'll tell you it's 1800 and something.

As Children Fear The Dark

The sinister, the terrible never deceive: the state in which they leave us is always one of enlightenment
Thomas Ligotti, 'Medusa'

Umbra is a Thanatocracy. On Lily Hill, the promontory overlooking the bay, live the elite of the City; the lich-lords in their finery and funeral masks, their stately sepulchres and mortuary-mansions. The Undead. The Dead Who Rule.

The Reclaimers Guild and Governor exist with their support; if the outlanders refused the Dead openly, they would receive no finance, no supplies, no mercy.

Masters of necromancy, the Thanatocrats enforce their will with subtle magics of decay or hulking knights of bone - though more commonly a few indentured vampires and loyal mortal serve as their agents.

They rarely descend from their palatial and silent district of the city.

The Docklands are controlled by the vampires, the Ab-Dead, or Dead Who Reave. Sailors, thugs, and pirates, the vampires are tenuously under the command of the liches. When the night is without a moon, the vampires sail out to kidnap new tenants from the world left behind. A share is taken in slaves, pets, playthings, minions and companions, but most captives find themselves in the City proper. Outlanders can often trade blood to the vampires in exchange for items wrested from the wider world. The Docklands are probably the most bustling and vibrant part of the City known.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
Samuel Johnson

The Botanical Gardens, sprawling for a couple of miles to the far west of Providence, are inhabited by the Thropes - beasts that walk like men. Dissidents against the lich-lords’ regime, they are dangerous to know both for their radical politics and dark appetites. They support anarchists and undermine the Thanatocracy at every opportunity, and ably subvert Strangers or frustrated Theurgists to their cause.

Strangers In A Strange Land

There are two kinds of people in the City, living mostly in the district of Providence at the heart of this inhabited region. The first kind are the Outlanders; those taken from the outside world by the Reavers and left to fend for themselves. The oldest have been here thirty years, the youngest less than a month - and as young as twelve, in some cases. The outlanders are the largest group of mortals, and most are slowly spreading out and refurbishing the City under the guidance of the Reclaimers Guild and the Governor.

The Strange are the other kind of people; the children born in the City. The eldest is twenty-four, now, a young woman best known as The Witch of Isley Row. The Strange are young, yet, and still mostly in whatever group to which their parents might belong, but they’re easily recognizable and the moniker is well-deserved. The Strange are paler than their parents, with darker eyes, and hair in abnormal hues. Sooner or later they demonstrate a kinship with the shadows of the City, a talent for becoming unseen or finding their way in the dark, or calling on eerie powers.

Understandably, relations between them and their forefathers are somewhat tense.

Likewise, relations between the 'unaligned' and registered Guild members are tense, with Anarchists lurking in the midst of both doing nothing to ensure stability or compromise.

We Unfashioned Creatures

The scientists not driven mad by the oddities of the City draw from them terrible inspiration, and build devices both wondrous and sinister. But their proudest achievement is the voltaic men.

Corpses raised by occult science, sewn together and riven with cables, powered by lightning, most are mindless, servile things. But some are aware enough to still feel, to piece together the remnants of their living history and recognize their hands are not their own.

Outlawed by the Thanatocracy for its 'vulgar imitation of our august powers', people so resurrected find themselves hunted, untrusted, and with few options beyond criminality or terrorism to survive.

What But Design of Darkness To Appall?

The City is waking up. More captives have arrived and are filtering out from the Docks. Lily Hill sighs with fresh mockery of life. Guild and Theurgists increasingly risk coming to blows, and people on the streets are more worried about eyes in the dark than politics.

Where do you fit in? What's the secret of the City?

This game will use a light, diceless system I've been tinkering with. Some things may be changed as necessary as we proceed.

Vigor is spent on Actions, whether use of a Skill or a Power. There are no dice. You need only spend enough Vigor to beat the Difficulty of the task.

At Character creation, select your Stock and add the starting points to your Traits.

Traits
can go as high as 5. You get 20 points to spend on Brutality, Grace, Poise, Intellect, and Wit. Fortitude is equal to your Poise and Intellect, and your Vigor is equal to your Fortitude + any bonuses.

Next you choose your Calling. Each Calling has a Core Trait which effects your Vigor recovery, and a selection of Skills. You get ten more points to spend on Skills, Talents, and Powers/Spells/Expertise.if you qualify.

When you want to do something, the task will have a Difficulty. To overcome that Difficulty, you spend Vigor equal to the Difficulty. However, your Skill is limited by how many points you spent on it, plus your relevant Trait, and you only have so much Vigor per Scene to divide between different actions.

If you cannot meet the Difficulty naturally, you can ask for assistance from an ally or use an item to help you meet the Difficulty.

When two characters oppose each other, the victory goes to whoever can overcome the other's action with superior Vigor. This may require some creative justification for certain actions.

In this build, there are no dice involved at any point, only decisions.

• Brutality

Grace

Poise

Intellect

Wit

Fortitude

Vigor

Going to be live-hacking this concept in this thread to find a working model to run an RP with.

Part of the initial design direction for this is building a diceless system because I wanted to try it, and because people on RPN can be wary of dice, and I thought it would make a good shallow end of the systems pool.
This poses a few challenges.

1. A lack of randomization means a bit less easy tension, less unexpected results to play around.
2. With the current Vigor-bidding model, it basically means you need strong guidelines for assigning effort levels and for tension you need to heighten the scarcity and resource-management to force interesting decisions. The benefit of course is potentially really leveraging player decision making over luck.
3. In addition to guidelines for challenge levels, you need to clearly present options of varying cost and reward.

Overall it feels more like pre-production for a Darkest Dungeon style game, so I may switch to a Forged In The Dark kind of model with dice or cards for randomization and playbooks for characters.

Currently, I'm thinking:
Any exertion, physical or mental, must consume 1 Vigor, and this has to come up often during play.
Players need opportunities to save Vigor by being smart and making clever decisions.
There have to be high points where you need to spend more Vigor to get out in one piece, so you can further create decision points between DARE actions and finding safe rooms to rest (called Boltholes).

DARE moves, for the interested, are a way to recover Vigor by playing to archetype in a way that puts the players at risk.
The Theurgist, the mad scientist, DARE action is to get obsessed with dissecting a monster or disassembling a mysterious device at a time when it puts themselves or everyone else at risk of a monster catching them, or a trap triggering, or the building burning down around them.

At the moment, the presumed structure of play is a collection of Outlanders and Strangers exploring the City.

They spend some time gossiping and beefing in Providence, then head out into the dark. They light lampposts as they go, encountering monsters, mysteries, loot, and maybe skirmishes with rivals.
The survivors return to Providence for some more politicking, recovery, interpersonal stuff.

I also like the idea of bringing in playable vampires and thropes but will probably keep the liches as NPCs.

Hard to decide what kind of storylines to encourage, beyond uncovering the strange history of the city and pseudo-dungeon crawl exploration.

Hard to decide what kind of storylines to encourage, beyond uncovering the strange history of the city and pseudo-dungeon crawl exploration.
If it were me, I'd probably opt for a very linear story progression early on. Considering your world and tone I imagine a lot of the possible character concepts won't play nicely with others, so as the GM I'd force their hand. Maybe bring them together and make them pawns to a more powerful and influential figure. Then leave it up to the players as to how long they would like to continue on as pawns.

And to make the stakes and larger story more personal I'd try and squeeze in an individually tailored sidestory for each player. That's where I'd hope a major character evolution would take place.

If it were me, I'd probably opt for a very linear story progression early on. Considering your world and tone I imagine a lot of the possible character concepts won't play nicely with others, so as the GM I'd force their hand. Maybe bring them together and make them pawns to a more powerful and influential figure. Then leave it up to the players as to how long they would like to continue on as pawns.

And to make the stakes and larger story more personal I'd try and squeeze in an individually tailored sidestory for each player. That's where I'd hope a major character evolution would take place.

My thoughts too, largely. Rather than pawns I conceive of the part as working for the Reclamation Guild so the incentive to work together is the job they do to earn their living has assigned them to the same unit, so to speak.
Sidestories with possible defections later is certainly ideal. I think the two branches I can see are the players choosing to stay loyal and uncover some incredible revelation, or deciding to resist the thanatocrats in some way.

Rebuiling the system in PbtA. Kinda. Looking more like this.

Brutality: Dislocate a limb, or reset it. Speak without tact, act recklessly, dismiss collateral damage.

Grace: Kill with a single strike. Act with precision, speak with clarity, be remembered as elegant and cruel.

Intellect: Find solutions, apply education. Argue rationally, think carefully. Invent and repair.

Wit: Quick thinking. Artful conversation. Easy charm. Amuse, defuse, deflect.

Poise: Keep calm. Carry on through slings, arrows, and barbed comments.

Resolve: The limits of the mind. Resolve aims to map the breaking point of yours.

Fortitude: The limits of the flesh. Fortitude seeks to describe the point yours cries out ‘no more!’

Tension
Tension increases as a scene builds to emotional or physical harm.
No one can use a Move that intentionally inflicts Harm if Tension is 3 or lower. Not even the Architect.
Every Move used outside Providence raises Tension by 1,
The presence of a Horror, Minion, or Anomaly sets Tension to a minimum of 4.

A Deadly Premonition:
Core Move

When you trigger this move, recover 2 Vigor and describe the terrible thing you anticipate befalling your squad. The Architect reveals how the truth is so much worse.

Succour
Core Move

Provide comfort and care to a companion.

Roll +Brutality
Reset a dislocation, cauterize a wound, or tell them to suck it up and deal or we’ll all die here.
On a 7-9, companion recovers 1 Resolve or Fortitude and Tension increases by 2
On a 10, companion recovers 2 Resolve or Fortitude and Tension increases by 1

Roll +Grace
Apply sutures, inspire confidence
On a 7-9, companion recovers 1 Resolve or Fortitude and Tension increases by 1
On a 10, companion recovers 1 Resolve or Fortitude

Roll +Intellect
Offer a rational explanation, a plan to proceed, or apply medical training
On a 7-9, companion recovers 1 Resolve or 2 Fortitude
On a 10, companion recovers 2 Resolve or 4 Fortitude

Roll +Wit
A bit of gallows humour can distract one from the situation.
On a 7-9, companion recovers 2 Resolve
On a 10, companion recovers 4 Resolve and Tensions decreases by 1

Enact Violence
Core Move

Someone or something is in your way. The situation forces you to relax your scruples in the cause of removing it.

Roll +Brutality
On a 7-9, inflict double Harm.
On a 10+, choose one and inflict double Harm.
  • Break an item or fixture in the brawl
  • Injure a third party for normal Harm
  • Seize a weapon or item from your opponent
  • Inspire witnesses to hesitate - take 1 Hold for your next Negotiation against them.
  • God almighty, what have you done?
  • Reduce or increase Tension by 1, if applicable.

Roll +Grace
On a 7-9, inflict Harm and choose one.
On a 10+, choose two.
  • Inflict double Harm
  • Disarm your opponent
  • Steal an item from your opponent
  • Take no Harm
  • Impress witnesses - take 1 Hold for your next Negotiation against them
  • Raise or hold Tension by 1

Negotiate
Core Move

Diplomacy by the first means, ideal when one respects the humanity of an interlocutor and is interested more in the content of their character than their ribcage.

Roll +Brutality
Your approach is blunt, offensive, forthright, of violent rhetoric or emotion.
On 10+, increase Tension by 1 and pick two from the list below.
On a 7-9, increase Tension by 2 and pick one from the list below.

Roll +Grace
Your approach is cool, polite, circuitous, detached; elegant and cruel.
On a 10+ pick one from the list below.
On a 7-9, raise Tension by 1 and pick one from the list.

Roll +Intellect
Your approach is reasoned, calm, diplomatic; detailed and compromising.
On a 10+ pick two from the list below.
On 7-9, you and the other party pick one each from the list.

Roll +Wit
Your approach is clever, charming, funny; irreverent and relaxed.
On 10+ reduce Tension by 2 and pick one.
On a 7-9, reduce Tension by 2

• The other party concedes resources
  • You take 1 Hold against the other party in future Negotiations
  • The other party is provoked to Enact Violence
  • The other party is compelled to avoid violence
  • The other party will do you a favour
  • The other party will fight at your side at least once
  • The other party believes you
  • The other party is compelled to antagonism against a third party
  • The other party is compelled to cooperate with a third party

Users who are viewing this thread

Back