A Mysterious Figure

French Horns Are Better Than Trombones

The Beginning Of A New Life

Iustus.jpg   Decora.jpg    Gloria.jpg

Iustus the Just          Decora the Kind        Gloria the Renown

Arcanus.jpg                         Morgana.jpg

Arcanus the Concealed             Morgana the Enlightened

Epulari.jpg Resolvera.jpg Ares.jpg

Epulari the Merry                      Resolvera the Sure                            Ares the Warrior       

“Today was supposed to be the greatest day in the history of the universe. The demon city on Earth was reported deserted, not a single trace of demon left behind. What on earth could have caused the demons to abandon the place that was sacred to them? We sent out a small taskforce of angels to the Portals, with their goal being to find out if there was something amiss in the Abyss.

“When they returned, they returned with the demon children. Some appeared frightened and confused, others passive and unaffected, but the expressions of the angels were of both triumph and fear. The younger angels were excited, proud to have been there first hand to see the emptiness of the Abyss, to be the ones to share the news that the demons were gone. The older, wiser angels were concerned. If something or someone could destroy the entire plane of demons, what could it do to the Heavens?

“And now we convene for the second council of today. This is an important matter; we must not make any errors, lest our final decision forever bear a burden in our hearts. These demon children, young and impressionable, are now our charges, and we will be deciding their fate today. Who would like to make the first statement?”

Iustus the Just, head of the council of the Heavens, stepped back, looking around. He and the other council members sat around a semi circle of a table, in the middle of a circular room. The walls were transparent, providing them with a view of tall, smooth, white buildings and pathways, with other angels walking about, occasionally stopping to talk, and often glancing uneasily at the council building. The window was one sided, the outsiders only able to see plain white walls, and perhaps if they had been able to see inside, they would have scattered in terror.

Ares, the great angel known for his bravery and skill on the battlefield, was in full attack mode, his fists clenched by his sides and his height nearly doubling. His face was set in a stony glare, directed at one of the reporting angels, who looked as though he was going to either faint or relieve himself right then and there. “I wish to speak,” he said, his voice ringing across the room, filled with scorn and irritation. “I believe the demon children should be executed as soon as possible. I elect myself as one of the executioners.”

Iustus merely levelled his gaze with Ares’ own, his face passive and unyielding against the warrior’s flames. “What is your reasoning behind this verdict, Ares?”

The angel slammed a fist down onto the table, making a large dent that smoothed over the minute he lifted his hand, making it obvious that something like this had happened before, possibly, and most likely, multiple times. “They are demons! The spawn of murderers, of hatred, of evil itself! We cannot show mercy simply because they are not yet mature!”

A third member spoke up, her voice pure and light, a vast contrast from the anger pouring from Ares. “If I may, I should like to say something.”

Even Ares’ gaze softened at the words. “You may, Decora,” Iustus said, inclining his head slightly.

The woman stood, nodding at Ares. “It is true what you say, that these children are descendants of pure evil. However, are we not forgetting their youth? Children are impressionable, naught but soft balls of clay, waiting for guidance. Their parents are gone now, and we have the chance to change their views, to make them see the good in the world.”

Ares shook his head violently. “No, it is impossible. They are not babies, Decora! Most are teenagers, already experienced with the harsh ways of the Abyss. They are the darkness, and the only way light can purge it is through shining through it. Light and dark cannot exist in harmony.”

“And what of the sun and moon? Day and night? They work in equal harmony, bringing light to the Earth, allowing darkness for resting. Perhaps even we can learn something from the demons ourselves,” Decora replied.

“The moon would be dark and useless without the Sun. Its light is naught but a reflection of the Sun’s radiance. It will never truly be bright, and the same goes for these evil bringers.”

Iustus stood once more, interrupting the discussion. “I do not believe this will lead us to a resolution, however I thank you both for your inputs.” The two council members sat back down, Ares continuing to smoulder. “So far we appear to have two options; assimilate these children into our society in the hopes that they become good, or execute them without trial for the crimes they and their species have committed. Does anyone else have an opinion?”

Resolvera stood, her stance strong and sure. “I agree with Decora, however I disagree with immediate forgiveness and trust in these children. While some may be reachable, it is highly likely at least a few will stray onto the path natural to their kin.”

Epulari’s eyes sparkled with mirth, and he leaned back in his chair. “What do you suggest then, sister? That we give them goodness classes? Teach them not to give poison to babies?”

The angel turned to her brother, an expression of thought on her face. “While I assume you spoke in jest, brother, I believe you may be onto something.” She turned back to Iustus. “Iustus, what if we were to assimilate the children, not straight into our society, but into our own children, to learn and grow alongside them? There would be supervisors, of course, and we could evaluate the individuals once a period of time has passed.”

Ares stood once more, knuckles turning white. “Put them in the School? That is practically signing a death warrant for our own children!”

Resolvera sighed. “Ares, we all know about your… particular bias against demons. But are you truly ready to condemn without any attempt at healing?”

He faltered. “No, of course not. I am not like them. But we should not be so eager to trust, either.”

Before any others could reply, Gloria stood, and the room hushed. “I agree with Resolvera’s proposition. The demon children are impressionable, and being with our innocent young angels will purify their own souls. We should only condemn once we know they are unsalvageable.”

Arcanus also stood, his pure white hood concealing most of his face. “I also agree. It is the safest and smartest way to go about this that also aligns with our ideals and morals.”

Iustus nodded in acknowledgement, and the two angels sat down. The room was still, the council members forming their own opinions and thoughts based on the situation and the judgements presented. After a brief moment, Iustus spoke once more. “We shall now vote. Who would prefer to execute these demon children in order to prevent any chance of destruction in our home and on Earth, but also prevent them from potentially being saved?”

Ares raised his hand, and sighed when none of the others followed his lead. “We shall come to regret this, I am sure,” he murmured to himself, lowering his hand.

“Very well. Who would prefer to assimilate the demon children into our society, giving them homes and planning that our purity and light will break through the darkness, but also opening us up for the potential of attack if they are indeed unable to be saved?”

None of the council members raised their hand. It was clear which option would be decided. “Very well. Who chooses to allow the demon children to join our own children at the School, and after a certain period of time, bring them in for judging?”

Everyone, save for Ares, raised their hand. “I see. This will be our final decision, and we cannot back down. We shall have a short adjournment, and then decide on our supervisors, teachers and arrangements for the children.”

The group stood, and the angels standing around the entrance left quickly, most likely going to collect the demon children from the room they had been placed in for the time being. The council members spread around the room, speaking in pairs or small groups, or sitting by themselves, staring out the window or musing at their seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morgana had sat quietly through the discussion between the other council members. As one the older members, she'd found it better to listen for a time before speaking. She had even cast her vote before she looked to each of the members. "Well, now that we've come to a general consensus. I would like to put forth another stipulation to this merger of demon and angel students. I want to be the one to greet the students to their new home and make the announcement. I'm already looked at coldly by a great many angels for having lost my wings and controlling ectoplasm. Let them hate me more for this idea. Then the rest of the council looks like they merely went along with a tyrants push." Her words held truth and a bit of deceit at the same time. She wanted to inspect the students directly for her own purposes.

"I would also like to give the demon children a bit of a false choice in the matter." Her next words were contradictory to the vote. "As those that will not wish to be here will likely start trouble I would like to weed them out so that we can keep an eye on them." Continuing the monologue Morgana rose from her seat and started opening rifts in the world. "As you all know, I can travel between the three worlds as easily as walking through a park, I could also send the young back home to the Abyss. If they choose this option, that I will not be obliged to allow, we know who to keep an eye on. And if any succeed in getting back, though the odds of that without my guidance are slim before they die or go mad, then we send Ares off to hunt them down and kill them. Does that meet everyone's needs a little better than just blindly taking them in and putting them with our students?" Morgana stopped with her hands on Ares' shoulders, as if pressuring him to give a response. He was the most against the plan that she fully supported and thus, adding a little stipulation to convince him would be fairly easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back