The Bronx

upload_2017-3-9_22-58-44.png

Clarissa's recovery from the night before was a swift one. They often were, not really feeling the effects such as headaches and nausea. The effects she was feeling, however, were the ones of the possible mistake she made the night before. Kissing Oliver would possibly on her mind for the entire day. She didn't know how she felt about it last night but now that she was sober she figured it out. There were feelings she had for him except those feelings were buried beneath the one's she held for Thomas. She sat in her bed for hours thinking on it. What was wrong with her that she was so deeply in love with a man who now treated as if she were nothing? How could she still try to hold on to the little memory she had of the past? Then she started thinking that it may have to do with her abandonment issues she continues to ignore. As she walked through her luxury apartment to get herself ready for her day, she made a stop in the living room where she kept all of her pictures. Just like in her office at Lape she lingered on one of them with her and Thomas. Such happy times they had. And then she threw it to the ground with a straight face, glass shattering around her feet. She just shrugged her shoulders and kept throwing down photos until they were gone and walked away. The girl had some serious issues. She would finish getting dressed, wearing a white dress with flower and beaded decals, and walk downstairs to a taxi and give him directions to The Bronx. Today would be a day for herself, shopping, and recuperation.

Untitled.png

It wasn't often that Lucas went out for the night and arrived home before sunrise, but on this occasion, he did. Lape had proved to be a very productive location for him. Aside from catching up with his friends, he'd made a deal with Clarissa that would prove useful, in many different ways. He slept well during the night - as he usually did. He'd had the bed to himself, as Fran had stayed with her sister for the night, and that suited him just fine.

The next morning, Lucas managed to clash with his eldest son, Eddie, before even making it downstairs. The lad thankfully stormed out of the house before overstepping his mark. As Lucas began making his breakfast, Fran stepped into the house and gave her husband a quick kiss on the lips. "Did you have a good night?" she asked him. "Where has Eddie gone?" she inquired, having noticed her son's car missing.

"I had a great night, thank you. How is your sister?" Lucas replied, grabbing an extra mug to make his wife a drink. They made the normal married couple's small talk seem so genuine and natural, but it was forced by both parties. "Eddie rushed out in a bad mood. One of these days he's going to push me too far, so I suggest you have another talk with him."

Fran didn't bother responding to the question about her sister as she hadn't even been to her house. She'd spent the night with her other man. She hadn't expected Lucas to be home; he usually ended up staying at his hotel with some other woman he'd picked up. She frowned as they discussed Eddie. "He's your son, Lucas. By blood and attitude. You only have yourself to blame for the way he is - after all, he picked it up from you." Fran sighed as she really didn't want to argue with her husband today. "I'm sorry," she said, backing down.

"That's okay," he said, passing her drink to her. "I'll be out all day, so it's just you and Samuel," he said, changing the subject with some small talk. Frankly, he couldn't wait to get out of the house and conduct his business - talk to people who had something interesting to say.​

upload_2017-3-9_22-58-44-png.285243

It wasn't long before she reached her destination in the Bronx. She asked to first be dropped off at an upscale dress store, where she knew the owner pretty well. What better way to heal than try on dresses and buy half of them? Of course, she would put herself on her a budget and would only walk out with 2 per store she visited. "Hello, darling." The man would greet her with a kiss on her cheek and smile at her, looking over her chosen outfit. "I would think you'd wear something much different than this old thing." Clarissa feigned offense looking over it in a mirror. "I beg to differ. This is the first time I have worn this thing." He laughed and walked towards a rack with different styled dresses. "And hopefully the last." That was how much of their conversations went. While most people found him repulsive, she found him an absolute joy to be around.

She didn't spend long in the dress store, having to go out and buy some new clothes for the dancers at the club. Instead of buying all new things, she would buy things that were old and upscale them to make them better. It was a cheaper and more effective way to keep the club wardrobe full. All the shopping she was doing was proving to be a good way to ease her mind, until she remembered the deal she made. What a time to be thinking about business, while she's relaxing. She groaned as she walked out of the store, her hands filled with bags. She needed to take a little break and what better way to do that than to go to a café?

1489269891473.png

Lucas looked to his watch as he sat at the table in the coffee shop. It was a neutral place without the Pickens' name directly attached to it, but he'd already had a persuasive word in the owner's ear when he first ordered his coffee. As an off-duty cop entered the cafe, Lucas made a point of looking to his watch before pointing to back room of the shop. "Keep my table free," he told a waitress, as he walked into the building's staff-room, the cop following a distance behind. "You're late," Lucas said, bluntly, sitting down at the small table. "Now, is there anything I need to know?"

"I was hoping you could tell me," Officer Green began, displaying an awkward smile in the serious man's direction. "I've got Captain Wells on my back. He won't shut up about the alcohol - if you could just tell me where some of it's coming from. If we implicate the Murphys, then it's a win all round." The look on Lucas' face said more than words could. That was an extremely unwise request and the cop immediately regretted it. Lucas remained silent, wanting to see what the idiot would spew out next. "My apologies. I just need a way to get him off my back. Is bumping him off still out of the question?" he half-joked.

"Did someone hit you on the head? Everything you just said sounds like the words of a damn moron, and I seem to remember you were an intelligent man." Lucas leaned forward, the anger evident in his voice, even if he kept his speech quiet. "I don't give a fuck about the Murphys; they can all get killed or arrested and it wouldn't bother me. But I will never utter a single word about their business to any bloody cop and you'll be wise to never suggest it again. As for Captain Wells," he said, sitting back. "Killing him is completely out of the question." No matter how much Captain Wells got in their way, he doubted Andrew Pickens would even authorise such a move. Lucas sure as Hell wasn't going to go behind his cousin's back.

"Well, what can you do for me?" the cop boldly asked.

"I'm not doing anything for you. I pay you to do favours for me. It doesn't work the other way round." Lucas's stare seemed to pierce through the cop's skull. "How about you do your fucking job? You're a cop and if you can't solve a crime, then you need to reconsider your profession." Lucas was already done with this meeting. Officer Green was rapidly losing his appeal to him and thoughts of the cop having an accident were genuinely crossing his mind. "We're done for now, Officer. You just sit tight and I'll find a solution to your problem. Just be patient," he lied to reassure him. "Have a good day," he pleasantly added. Officer Green was disposable; Lucas had more useful cops than him on his payroll.

A few minutes after the cop had left, Lucas returned to the front of the coffee shop and ordered another drink before sitting back at the table that he'd reserved.​

Clarissa loved this little Bronx cafe, it being so cute. It wasn't as big as most but she didn't mind it. The size of it was just right for the things she needed to do. Mostly do paperwork of her finances for the club. She recently befriended the owner who would let her come in and work in peace. She was huddled up in a little corner when she noticed Lucas come from the back room. How long had he been there exactly? He must've been in the back when she came in. It was an internal debate of whether or not she should go over and talk and she decided not to. One business thing at a time.

The thought of business and Lucas in one thought made her think of the night before. Had she made the right choice in coming to him for help? Of course, who knew how the Murphy's would react when they found out she went to him instead. But then again, she was neutral and it wasn't like she was picking sides. People already thought she favored the Murphy's and this branching out would ensure that she didn't. Just because she slept with one, didn't mean she was a complete Murphy girl. She stopped herself from staring at him too long and went back to her work.

1489269891473-png.285959

After finishing off his drink and closing the newspaper he'd finished reading, Lucas removed some notes from his wallet to leave a healthy top for his server. It was the first time he'd been inside the quiet little place, which is why he'd chosen it to meet with that dirty cop. It was good to keep changing up meeting locations to keep anyone watching him on their toes. As he got up from his seat and began fastening his jacket, Lucas glanced towards the corner of the room where Clarissa was sat. Like her, he also debated whether or not to go over and speak. Figuring she must have seen him stood there by now, he decided it would be rude to leave without some form of acknowledgement.

"I'm surprised to see you here, Miss LaVixen," Lucas said as he approached Clarissa. "I suspect you're very committed to your paperwork, otherwise, the man you found last night wasn't very good," he remarked, quiet enough for only her to hear.​

Clar was signing her name on a few last documents when Lucas decided to speak. She never knew when it was okay to speak with him, always assuming he spoke to you and not the other way around. She smiled at him and put her pen down, offering him a seat. Shaking her head, she gave a small laugh at his comment. Instead of informing him about the mishaps of her night, she gave a different answer. "I'm a very hard woman to please, I'm sure you know. He just couldn't keep up." She gave him a wink and collected her papers together, to get them out of the way. "Why so surprised I'd be here? I do like to get out of Brooklyn whenever I can." That was the truth. Staying in Brooklyn all the time was something she didn't want to do. It was stuffy and seeing the same people and doing the same thing all the time was boring. The girl liked to go on adventures and have fun.

When offered a seat, Lucas looked over his shoulder to the exit as he decided what to do. There wasn't any business he had that couldn't wait, so he accepted the offer and sat with Clarissa. A change from his serious expression, Lucas couldn't help but laugh at her comment about the man's inability to keep up with her. "Oh, Miss LaVixen, I imagine you are hard to please," he said, the smile remaining on his face. She was a very interesting woman and the fact he could talk to her on such a level without her taking offence or being embarrassed made her all the more compelling. Lucas barely glanced in the direction of the papers as she collected them together - it was none of his business unless she made it so. "I suppose I misjudged you. With the Murphys and the club, I expected to only find you relaxing in Brooklyn - where the men can't keep up," he quipped. "I take it all back, though. You're nothing like the company you've been known to keep."​

"Expect the unexpected, love." She said before picking up her cup to take a sip and then setting it back down. What a nice thing to not have a man fawn over you as you talked. That's what she liked the most about Lucas. Even if he did find her attractive or in some way intrigued by her, he wouldn't let on. It was way better, sometimes, not to know. "I would certainly hope you didn't think I was a thing like the people I keep around. I am my own person by nature." Did people really think she was like the others? If so she really had to go off and do some serious image rebuilding. Clar just had different tastes in the type of people she hung around and she felt she shouldn't be at fault for it. Though of course she knew it could effective much, such as her reputation, she didn't care. What she did and she did it with was her business and her business alone. S

Lucas realised he may have touched a nerve and found something that bothered Clarissa, without it being his intention to do so. He usually delighted in making others feel uncomfortable, but she wasn't someone he needed to knock down. "No, I realise now that you are your own person," he reassured her. "In this business, I end up having to judge people quickly without having time to hear them out. Regrettably, I made the assumption that you were like the Murphys purely because you associate closely with them. But I'm glad we've been able to speak enough for me to learn the truth," he told her. It wasn't anything new to him as he was used to people judging him too. Although, for the most part, he gained from people being intimidated and expecting the worst from him. It paid to know most were too afraid to cross him and Pickens.​

For the first time in a while, she let her guard down. Now that she knew Lucas wasn't going to try and berate her, things would be fine. She just gave him a genuine smile and laughed. "Calm down. I'm used to it. I'm just glad at least one person doesn't see me as a woman weak to the Murphy's just because Tom and I-" She stopped herself and closed her eyes and pursed her lips. All the feelings she had were beginning to pour out and she needed to contain them before things were said. She opened her eyes and shook her head, her face expressing many regrets. "Sorry, I started rambling." Signaling a waitress she asked for more tea and put her hands on the table. "Now. Not to change our pleasant conversation around so soon, but I do believe there is some business we ourselves need to discuss." She was using the topic as a way to distract herself from the outburst. It would be a good little distraction away from any type of thought of any of the Murphy's for a while.

14893213992265.png

Lucas raised his eyebrows when Clarissa mentioned Tom before cutting herself off. He'd heard enough about their relationship before now and how it had ended, with Clarissa clearly still not fully over it. He was curious as to what on Earth had gone through Thomas Murphy's head. Had it actually been any of his business, Lucas would have beaten some sense into the man by now. But it wasn't his business, nor was Clarissa's love life his problem.

When the conversation was steered in the direction of business, the slightest smirk appeared on his serious lips. "Straight to business? I like it," he remarked. He mirrored her by placing his hands down on the table and sat forward a little more. "We discussed I'd see to it the cops left your club alone; I raise your profile and make sure you get the respect you deserve. In return, you give me 35 percent and my own room in the club, with a few drinks thrown in," he summarised. "Do you still agree with this? Nothing is set in stone, so if you want to make any changes or requests, I'm open to consider them," he told her. In giving Clarissa a second chance to consider the deal, he was already being more generous than usual. Had it been most other people, they would be tied into the deal last night.​

Last edited:

Of course, Clarissa had to think about the deal once more. She was doing it in the best interest of herself and her club. The only negative aspect that might occur is the one with the Murphy's. But if they were to get upset, it'd be their problem, not hers. She swore allegiance to no one and therefore she could do whatever she pleased whenever. Giving him a smile and patting his hands she nodded. "I do, Lucas. I may have had one too many last night but my mind has not changed. The terms are still agreeable and I have nothing to change." She felt as though she were missing something, though of course she wasn't. This deal was turning out to be something terrific and she seemed to be getting a friend out of it too. If not friend than a partner in her business. "I do believe this is going to be a fantastic deal, don't you?"

14893213992265-png.286415

Lucas flashed a rare wide smile at Clarissa when she agreed to the terms. "Then, I believe we have an agreement," he said opening his hand out flat to formally shake on the deal. He trusted the verbal agreement to be enough. She was a smart woman who would know better than to cross him. It was no secret that others had paid the price of breaking an agreement with Lucas. "I feel the same, Miss LaVixen. I'm going to enjoy working with you and seeing your business continue to thrive. It helps that you're one of the only associates who is both interesting and easy on the eye," he complimented her. It wasn't flirting, it was him stating a fact.

Of course, there were unspoken benefits Lucas had to this deal. He genuinely liked Clarissa and wouldn't do anything to personally harm her or the club. However, this opportunity was just the start for him. This was a way of getting at the Murphys from the inside and keeping an eye on them, especially since Oliver's latest hand in stealing from Pickens territory. He worried his cousin wasn't paying enough attention to the small details and he'd be damned if he sat back and allowed the Murphys or the Lees to get the better of the Pickens Family. If he played his cards right, he could even cause friction between the Murphy brothers themselves.

"I don't know about you, but I always feel great after making a deal," he said, his tone softer. "You seem like you needed something to cheer you up. It doesn't take a genius to know Thomas and Oliver are the reasons you needed more to smile about."​

Returning his smile, Clarissa gave his hand a firm shake. The sign that the deed was done and there was no going back. She could only hope that things were going to be perfect but even she wasn't naïve into thinking there would be no conflicts whatsoever. If something did happen, she was sure she would be able to handle it. "You are just a natural charmer, aren't you?" Clar joked at his compliment. She started thinking that this Lucas that she was sitting in front of was nothing like the Lucas she heard so many people speak about. Maybe because he was around her and she wasn't like most people but whatever the reason, she couldn't help but feel special. Of course, she wasn't falling for him but it was nice to be around him. When he brought up Oliver and Tom, she gave him a devious smile and narrowed her eyes as if to say 'Whatever do you mean?' and feign any knowledge of his words. "I agree. This does feel pretty great. And yes... I needed a distraction for a while."

All Lucas could do when she called him a charmer was laugh a little - he didn't think further words were needed on the subject. It was just nice to hear it said how Clarissa had said it, rather than the bitter sarcastic way his wife often said it. He often wondered how he ended up marrying someone so bland, but then he remembered Fran had been interesting when they first met! Not Clarissa's level of interesting, but still enough to pull him in at the time.

He noticed Clarissa wanted to ignore the subject of the Murphy lads, so he chose not to press too far on the matter. He'd have to be subtle with that. "I'm glad I could distract you," he said, as he glanced to the shopping bags she had with her. He then sat up straight and looked at his watch. "Unfortunately, I've spent enough time in here for one day," he said, standing. "My car is parked around the corner if you need any help dropping those bags off at your place." Now he was being too nice and he almost had to question who he was. He knew it wouldn't last, though, as he had people to deal with who required less civil methods.​

She was quite shocked at being offered a ride. For a second she began to regret asking him for help, but then realized he wasn't always like this. Although she had never seen it for herself, she knew that he wasn't a man to be trifles with."Well. If you are offering, Mt. Peterson, who am I to decline?" She respindles as she emptied the rest of her cup. How nice of him to offer her a ride. Perhaps this was what the real Lucas was like? Before business, before having to keep up an appearance. She felt it a slight honor that most people were able to be themselves around her. She gathered the last of her bills and documents placing them in one of the shoping bags. After paying for drink, she stood up and smoothed out her dress. It was a subconscious thing she had done anytime she was sitting. She gave him another smile letting him know she was ready. It was certain people like him she couldn't help but smile genuinely at. With Thomas and Oliver, it was different. More... intimate. But with Lucas, it was friendly and flirty of course but never as intimate.

Lucas placed his hands in his pockets as he gave Clarissa time to get her belongings together. "It's all part of the service, Miss LaVixen," he said. "You'll just have to remind me where you live." Whilst it had mostly been a courtesy, he figured driving her home would help where his side of the deal was concerned. He was well-known throughout New York, but the Bronx was Pickens territory and that meant his face mattered here. If anyone wasn't giving Clarissa the respect she deserved here, then that would soon change.

If Clarissa wished to be dropped off back in town again once offloading her belongings at home, Lucas would wait for her by his car, smoking a cigarette to pass the time. Whether they parted ways outside her apartment or back in town, Lucas would once again flash a rare smile in her direction. "Enjoy the rest of your day. It's been a pleasure working with you, Miss LaVixen. I will start on my side of the deal today. I have a few people to see, but I will make sure I fit it in."​

She gladly gave him instruction, trusting him with the location of where she stayed. It was a little bit away, but being in the same car as he was something she could tolerate. She decided that she would remain home for a while, sewing together new costumes and doing more business work. Her entire budget would have to be redone to add Lucas to her list of payments. Once they were in front of her apartment, one of the doormen opened her door and took her bags up. She turned to Lucas and nodded her head. "I thank you for the ride, sir. Between us, you're a nice guy." She whispered the last bit and gave him a knowing wink before walking into the building. What an intriguing man, she thought to herself.

The morning had got off to a great start for Lucas, with his and Clarissa's meeting proving to be highly successful. He was looking forward to seeing how that business turned out. After dropping the woman off, he drove to his hotel and spent some time checking on things there. After "motivating" his staff to work harder, he relaxed in his private suite for a short time until one of his men arrived to pick him up and drive them into Brooklyn. He wished to scope out the area around Lape and see who was hanging around there; civilians, criminals and cops alike. He'd also heard a group of teenagers had been causing trouble around there and wondered if they were the same young idiots who weren't giving Clarissa the respect she desired. He would have to do some research if he was to keep to his end of the bargain.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back