The Blood Demon Clan - Out of Character

SachiGrl

Indecisive Being
<p>

</p>

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:36px;">If you have any questions, please ask here. </span><span style="font-size:36px;"><span style="color:#b300b3;"><strong>ANNOUNCEMENT: TheRandinator will be the 2nd GM.</strong></span></span><span style="font-size:36px;"><span style="color:#b300b3;"> </span></span><span style="font-size:36px;"> </span><span style="font-size:36px;"><span style="color:#000000;">In dice games, it is important to have a 2nd pair of eyes. </span></span></p></div>

<p> <span style="font-size:36px;"><span style="color:#b300b3;"> </span></span>

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it is pretty simple once you get the hang of it. (Sorry, I just noticed your post now)

Instead of looking around, I can answer some of your questions here. @KaldorDraigo

How does the dice thing work here?

Nevermind! I found it in the Settings/Locations. Wow. That isn't so bad. Sounds really cool.

@TheRandinator

You'll see a little square with a mountain and a moon in one of the icons above. Select the option and put the Link of the desired picture you wish to use.

Hales said:
What class would an archer fit into?
The fighter class is the DPS class, so dragoons, ninjas, gunners, ect. all fit in that category.

Warriors are like Tanks. Heavy built characters.

Hales said:
When you ask for skills, are we talking Dungeons and Dragons skills?
Umm... whatever is easier for you. I made up my spells. I used the game FFXIV and their skills as guidance.

SachiGrl said:
Umm... whatever is easier for you. I made up my spells. I used the game FFXIV and their skills as guidance.
Would archery be considered a skill or does the fact that she has a bow imply that she can do archery? I guess I'm trying not to go overboard with things so I'd like a bit of guidance on what I can and can't do because I have played dungeons and dragons before and that has very stringent requirements on character creation. This looks as though you are trying to set it up in a similar manner, but there is a lot that dungeons and dragons would have that is missing here so I'm not sure how close to stick to D&D rules.

That being said, my character does have a fatal flaw built in so I'm not too concerned about being OP.... she has brittle bone disease.

I guess one archer skill idea off the top of my head would be "Poison arrow" a good description for it would be as follows: The player shoots a poison arrow. The enemy loses (total of strength stat times 5) if poisoned. Roll an even number and the enemy is poisoned.

I didn't use any reference for that, but I'll help with the description. Just pick a cool skill, so you can show it off in the battle field.

DergTheDergon said:
I haven't but I've played games like it, mostly the more medieval fantasy ones. I love the design of the cs btw, that bbcode (<3)
Starting on my cs as we speak. Speaking of which, I'd like to make a Fighter class and it you mentioned they can change thier sats. I'd like to switch evasion and strength cuz I like to play fast, versatile classes in dice rps like monks and rouges. Not getting hit is always good xD
What the stat strength does is determine your physical damage.

Evasion stat determines if you evade an attack or not.

Intelligence stat determines your magical damage.

So, if you have 1 Strength stat, you'll be rolling one die with 6 faces.

If you have 2 Evasion, you'll roll two dice with six faces to avoid an attack. If that is what you want. DO IT BIG!!

@SachiGrl speaking of skills, I just came up with a character idea that I wonder would work with this. You keep mentioning dragoons, and by that I assume you mean dragons with a human form. I was thinking that my character defaults to human form, and has some spells but they are weaker in human form (outright can't use them in it right now I think, if a 0 in intelligence means what i think it does). I came up with a skil around this idea:

Dragon form: User becomes a dragon for (x) round(s). They gain +1 Intelligence and lose 1 Strength. This ability can be used (x) amount of times per battle.

I will leave the number of rounds and uses to your discretion, since this is your system. Sound balanced? Or do you not like the idea of skills temporarily adjusting stats?

DergTheDergon said:
@SachiGrl speaking of skills, I just came up with a character idea that I wonder would work with this. You keep mentioning dragoons, and by that I assume you mean dragons with a human form. I was thinking that my character defaults to human form, and has some spells but they are weaker in human form (outright can't use them in it right now I think, if a 0 in intelligence means what i think it does). I came up with a skil around this idea:
Dragon form: User becomes a dragon for (x) round(s). They gain +1 Intelligence and lose 1 Strength. This ability can be used (x) amount of times per battle.

I will leave the number of rounds and uses to your discretion, since this is your system. Sound balanced? Or do you not like the idea of skills temporarily adjusting stats?
Tell me if you agree:

Skill: Dragon Humanoid (it doesn't have to be this name)- All stats are multiplied times 2. The form lasts two turns. Can be used during Attack or Evade roll. (if you start on an attack roll, then your next attack roll will be your last in your dragon humanoid form. Can only be used once per battle.

I am beginning to rethink joining this rp honestly. The mechanics are too vague which makes it really easy for people to become op while I sit here with a character legitimately designed to be weak and fragile.

Hmm, I'm very impressed with the work you've evidently put into this, but for such a detailed RP I feel like a lot of information is still ambiguous or unmentioned, which could lead to some confusion. I have a lot of questions, and apologize if any of them are misguided or already clearly explained in your info posts under each tab. Homebrew is always admirable, but enormously challenging. It might be easier to scaffold certain aspects of the game (such as the magic system, etc.) with rules, guidelines, or skills from other game systems.

Is fighting monsters all that the players do, or will there also be riddles or quests of some kind? Do non-combat/looting-related skills or spells have any significant use?

How many skills/spells can you have? Can you learn more along the way? On a related note, how powerful are our characters supposed to be in the beginning? What level do we start out at? What would you define as over/underpowered?

If fighters can combine effective physical attacks with effective magical attacks, aren't they more powerful than either mages or warriors, in terms of the number and variety of attacks they can competently perform and their adaptability to different situations?

Is there a limit to the number of times you can use spells or skills in combat, during a day, or on a floor? Can you heal yourself by sleeping overnight? Is your health restored every time you reach a new day, floor, or monster?

Wouldn't the "safe zone" mechanic basically mean that everyone goes to a safe zone at the end of their post? It seems like that could bog down combat and make communication more difficult. Also, if you can't be attacked in a safe zone, couldn't you leave, attack the monster, then retreat to the safe zone, thus escaping all the monster's attacks?

I'd like to know more about the healing system. Who and what can be healed, and is it an inherent mage ability or do they need a spell for it? Can fighters have such a spell? Can you heal anything? How many dice do you roll? A brief summary of the mechanics of the use of magic in general would be helpful.

What about the mechanics of movement, speed, and range? Are long-range/short-range weapons/attacks just flavor?

What are the available races, and do they influence stats? What are dragoons and why aren't they a playable class? What are demons? What is the Blood Demon Clan, what are their function and purpose, and why must they be stopped? Why are the other races opposed to their bloodshedding? Is it a moral, social, political, religious, economic issue, etc.?

What kind of world is this taking place in? Where is the technology level at? Do we all come from the same country/culture? Is it a pretty egalitarian society, or is there a lot of racism, classism, homophobia and/or sexism? Is it a meritocracy?

If everyone gains health at the same rate, the health differences of the classes at the beginning become negligible as characters level up and opponents become stronger. However, stat differences continue to be highly influential. This appears to give mages a major advantage and fighters a minor advantage while giving warriors a major disadvantage (since mages have 4 stats total, fighters 3 and warriors just 2, in exchange for slight differences in health). Perhaps class-based stat gains per level that maintain the relative significance of the health gap could help mitigate this imbalance.

Is evasion the only defense? What about armor?

Quill said:
Hmm, I'm very impressed with the work you've evidently put into this, but for such a detailed RP I feel like a lot of information is still ambiguous or unmentioned, which could lead to some confusion. I have a lot of questions, and apologize if any of them are misguided or already clearly explained in your info posts under each tab. Homebrew is always admirable, but enormously challenging. It might be easier to scaffold certain aspects of the game (such as the magic system, etc.) with rules, guidelines, or skills from other game systems.
Is fighting monsters all that the players do, or will there also be riddles or quests of some kind? Do non-combat/looting-related skills or spells have any significant use?

How many skills/spells can you have? Can you learn more along the way? On a related note, how powerful are our characters supposed to be in the beginning? What level do we start out at? What would you define as over/underpowered?

If fighters can combine effective physical attacks with effective magical attacks, aren't they more powerful than either mages or warriors, in terms of the number and variety of attacks they can competently perform and their adaptability to different situations?

Is there a limit to the number of times you can use spells or skills in combat, during a day, or on a floor? Can you heal yourself by sleeping overnight? Is your health restored every time you reach a new day, floor, or monster?

Wouldn't the "safe zone" mechanic basically mean that everyone goes to a safe zone at the end of their post? It seems like that could bog down combat and make communication more difficult. Also, if you can't be attacked in a safe zone, couldn't you leave, attack the monster, then retreat to the safe zone, thus escaping all the monster's attacks?

I'd like to know more about the healing system. Who and what can be healed, and is it an inherent mage ability or do they need a spell for it? Can fighters have such a spell? Can you heal anything? How many dice do you roll? A brief summary of the mechanics of the use of magic in general would be helpful.

What about the mechanics of movement, speed, and range? Are long-range/short-range weapons/attacks just flavor?

What are the available races, and do they influence stats? What are dragoons and why aren't they a playable class? What are demons? What is the Blood Demon Clan, what are their function and purpose, and why must they be stopped? Why are the other races opposed to their bloodshedding? Is it a moral, social, political, religious, economic issue, etc.?

What kind of world is this taking place in? Where is the technology level at? Do we all come from the same country/culture? Is it a pretty egalitarian society, or is there a lot of racism, classism, homophobia and/or sexism? Is it a meritocracy?

If everyone gains health at the same rate, the health differences of the classes at the beginning become negligible as characters level up and opponents become stronger. However, stat differences continue to be highly influential. This appears to give mages a major advantage and fighters a minor advantage while giving warriors a major disadvantage (since mages have 4 stats total, fighters 3 and warriors just 2, in exchange for slight differences in health). Perhaps class-based stat gains per level that maintain the relative significance of the health gap could help mitigate this imbalance.

I am in agreement with every one of these questions needing an answer at some point and it needs to be an answer that can be located somewhere in the thread. There is a lot that is not explained.

@Quill

I created this role play more for the role play than the fighting. I encourage character mingling and going in and out of the dungeon to buy supplies. If you go to the settings tab, you will find additional quests, such as rescuing prisoners, and defeating a floor boss. The monsters on the floor are randomly placed by the GM (me), so players aren't always fighting. I not going to allow loot skills. I provided a temporary item that allows players to gain additional loot. Other than that, there is no non-combat/looting skills.

5 max skills and/or spells. For simplicity's sake, no you can not learn more. Spell items can be purchased for a one time use. Everyone starts at level one, the second GM is the exception cause he's not actually playing, only moderating and providing events. Starting at level one will at best put you even with early creatures, but there's a greater chance you'll be at a disadvantage. Considering the combat still involves luck, there's no way to be directly overpowered. However, once you reach more than 3-5 levels above a monster, you have a significant chance of beating it compared to being at an even level.

No, it's mainly just for flavor really. The monsters and demons will not be given any elemental weakness/defenses. Therefore the spells or skills used by the players are purely for role playing flavor. At the end, the main thing that determines the progression the battle is the dice rolls.

Unless specified otherwise, your spells can be used once per attack roll (or evasion roll, if the spell is defensive/evasive). The GMs will be monitoring to make sure that existing spells and skills, as well as those thought up by players, are balanced. Cannot heal by sleeping. You need to either use potions for healing, or a mage with healing capabilities must heal you. Your health constantly carries over into anything you do. (new days, floors, monsters, etc...)

No, it doesn't mean anything in particular. The player can choose to go back to the safe zone, or continue exploring or mingling with the other adventurers. What do you mean exactly? Because I fail to see how a person could think they can, mid-combat, side step into and out of the safe zone to get in cheap shots on the monster, because that is obviously cheating. What you can do is enter combat, finish it by either running away, winning or dying. After, you can choose to continue exploring, or retreat to the safe zone in the event of substantial injury.

Lets start by saying monsters/demons do not have healing powers. Only mages can heal through spells, and select fighters as well. Warriors only method of healing is potions, but they can be healed by partners. Any role player can be healed, and if given the proper scenario, a role player can heal an NPC (ie. an injured prisoner during the rescue mission).

Combat and movement is meant to be simple. The combat and movement is expressed through role play, and the dice will determine the success and the damage of the role played action. Long/short range weapons/attacks are flavor.

There are no specific races, that is up to the imagination of the player, so long as it isn't completely absurd (and I'm pretty lenient, believe me). The stats are based on the classes and have nothing to do with race. Dragoons are a subcategory of fighters because they are elite lancers that would combat dragons. It was my mistake to have left it in the "Overview," as it was the first thing I wrote before actually setting up the majority of the RP. I deleted it, thank you for pointing that out. It's mainly a moral issue. The Blood Demon Clan kills for religious purpose, as their kills are sacrificial. Seeing as this is an RP, the majority of the story gets built along the way, there is just a basic lore for now that can be fleshed out by not only my GMs and I, but the players.

The story takes place on the territory of the Blood Demon Clan. The world is what the players make it. The players describe their hometowns/cities and how they fit into the scenario with the Blood Demon Clan. As far as the technology goes, that is dependent on each characters' background, etc...Society, also something that will be a product of the role players.

I will review the stat balances and take your suggestion into consideration. Thanks for the advice.

I wanted to keep the stats simple, so yes. Evasion is the only defense.

@Hales

You've promptly and kindly resolved the vast majority of my questions! Thank you for your patience and understanding, and let me add that I am deeply impressed by your helpful and productive response to my questions and some criticisms, which were intended to be constructive and not maliciously motivated. Hopefully my words have not been hurtful. I would hate to discourage you, you're clearly competent and innovative. The simplicity and succinctness of your work is fantastic; many GMs are undone by lack of an editing eye. No doubt that won't be a problem for you.

As to the safe zone, I was referring to players logging out during combat. As it turns out from your response, "safe zone" is broader than I imagined and you acknowledge using the safe zone mechanic in defense as cheating, which generally appeases my concerns with the function. Interesting, I've never seen it before in an RP and I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Player-generated world is interesting. Another thing I've never seen before in a detailed dice RP, another development I'd love to watch.

On the stat balances between classes, if I could be so bold as to make a suggestion, I would add that warriors having zero defense means that they would get hit every time unless an ally intervenes. Meanwhile, having 2 evasion while fighting lvl 1 or even 2 monsters might mean, with a decent amount of luck, evading 51% if not 90% of the time (a perhaps erroneous assumption based on the combat example in Settings/Locations), a similar effect as doubled health. This would make it even more important to have a substantial health gap favoring classes with low evasion. Also contributing to this point is the factor that warriors cannot replenish their health by themselves without using up money. Not sure how I feel about that. Being unable to heal yourself seems like a pretty major disadvantage in a game where you can't regenerate health naturally. But maybe it's a good way to balance the great strength, endurance & health of these tanks.

Usually I'm not into dungeon crawls as much as quests and stories that are less combat-focused, but with such an exceptional and creative GM and this impressive and concise homebrew system I'm interested in applying once stats & classes are finalized. Since I like to play warriors, it's no wonder I'm biased in favor of that class ;)

Based on the information you provided, I will be giving this a shot although I would appreciate it if I could be given a general technological time period because I don't want to have my character come from a time where it was normal bow and arrow while someone else is carrying around a machine gun because that is extremely unrealistic.

My character will use a bow and arrow regardless although there are technological things I can add if the technology could theoretically exist which would make her more like Hawkeye. I just don't want her technology to null and void someone else's weapons ore vice versa.

@Jaye Wow, I love your skill set. Can you change massacre- doubles strength stat and adds +2 for one attack roll.

Thanks for adding the comment explaining bide & massacre. I don't want people to get confused.

CS accepted. You may now go to the Demon's Market and get to know your comrades while purchasing goods.

Hales said:
Based on the information you provided, I will be giving this a shot although I would appreciate it if I could be given a general technological time period because I don't want to have my character come from a time where it was normal bow and arrow while someone else is carrying around a machine gun because that is extremely unrealistic.
My character will use a bow and arrow regardless although there are technological things I can add if the technology could theoretically exist which would make her more like Hawkeye. I just don't want her technology to null and void someone else's weapons ore vice versa.
Your character has a bow and arrow because she's from a culture that is pro nature or she has the most advance mechanical metal bow because where she's from technology was a great influence.

The technology advancement is based on where you come from. You tell me how your culture has influenced your weapon selection. There are all kinds of lifestyles around the world.

Do you see/understand what I'm writing?

If you can't, TheRandinator can explain it more clearly.

Hey, who wants to roll dice with me just for the hell of it :D

[dice]9739[/dice]

If I roll a 6, TheRandinator is going to clean the dishes tomorrow<3

[dice]9740[/dice]

Dammit, I have to clean them now Dx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back