Other The Best Milk? Milk And You?

Do You Know Why Humans Drink Other Animals' Milk?

• Yes

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • It's Complicated

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
This is a very interesting topic. I don't think anyone knows for sure other than it's an evolutionary advantage, making livestock basically produce food for longer.

It's specifically that you suddenly have an option to get protein from your cow... without killing the cow. Killing the cow kinda defeats the purpose of getting long-term noms from said cow. Some people will bleed cattle for the same protein-rich purpose, but it's less common. And (fresh!) milk has fewer pathogens than blood, since it's intended to be eaten, and thus was/is a safe food source.

Plus, you can ferment and age milk, which extends its' life even longer. (Why is alcoholic horse yogurt a thing?)

I love cow milk. But I'm also becoming lactose intolerant as I age, so I'm leaning more and more on goat milk (better for lactose intolerance) and alternative (nut) milks.

Cashew milk is the closest, consistency-wise, to animal milk, so I'll go for that in smoothies and shakes. Pea milk (frex, Malk) is closer to flavor. And I do love me some chocolate Silk, but soy milk is super bad for people with ovaries, so I can't have it all the time. :<

I've never been a big fan of milk, mostly because of the smell. I'm also getting more and more intolerant as I get older.

I pretty much avoid it if I can, and if I have the choice I usually go with Almond milk. It's much sweeter and goes well with cereal!

(Also wow, I learned so much about milk in this thread!)

I've been sampling dairy alternatives for a while now, in part just to try something new but because they do seem healthier with the right brands.

Aside from the fact that I’m lactose intolerant, I was never really a fan of the taste of milk in general. Now, coconut milk? Makes my tummy AND my tastebuds happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back