• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Terminology

Shiona

Recanion Sunshine
Hi,

I stumbled over some terms that I have not seen before while browsing the 'looking for partner' forum, and I don't know where else to ask;

What is 'Double'?

What is '4 x 4'?

Is there a guide for terminology of this site? I searched, but I did not find one. I would appreciate a link, if there is one.

'double' or 'doubling' with someone means that you both play the same two characters. for example if i asked to double someone with character A and character B, i would play A and B and so would my partner so we would both get the same satisfaction out of roleplaying that plot. :)

'4x4' would probably mean 4 characters paired with another 4 characters (romance.) I'm not entirely sure if it means anything else, so if i'm wrong someone please correct me!

I still don't understand doubling. Does it mean, if I play A, and my partner plays B, that I can decide actions for both A and B at the same time? Wouldn't that take away the choice of my partner?

Or do you mean you play the same plot two times and switch who plays A and who plays B?

I still don't understand doubling. Does it mean, if I play A, and my partner plays B, that I can decide actions for both A and B at the same time? Wouldn't that take away the choice of my partner?

Or do you mean you play the same plot two times and switch who plays A and who plays B?

you play the same plot two times, but both play opposing characters :)

plot 1: you play character A, your partner plays character B

plot 2: you play character B, your partner plays character A

Ah, this makes more sense! I can imagine that could be fun, if you really want to experience both sides. And the plot would probably evolve in different directions, too ^^;

Thanks for clearing that up!

you play the same plot two times, but both play opposing characters :)

plot 1: you play character A, your partner plays character B

plot 2: you play character B, your partner plays character A

Ohhh... Okay. I always just assumed it was that you played Characters A and B, and they played C and D, usually for pairing or romantic purposes.

I'm not the only one confused ;-P

Your best bet is to just ask the person. Different people define terms differently.

fo doubling I've seen it mean :

• we both play two or more characters that progress the plot
  • my partner wants to play a specific gender ( ex. A girl ) but rather than force me to play the girls boyfriend they'll offer to make a second character ( a boy ) so we're both playing a boy and a girl.

So really it depends on the person if you message them directly they'll likely tell you what they mean.

nerdyfangirl, alright, i'll keep that in mind, thank you

But so far, doubling does not seem to be something I would be interested in - I like to concentrate on one main character. That is to say, I never roleplayed any other way, I can only guess that this is my preference.

nerdyfangirl, alright, i'll keep that in mind, thank you

But so far, doubling does not seem to be something I would be interested in - I like to concentrate on one main character. That is to say, I never roleplayed any other way, I can only guess that this is my preference.

Lol. I don't do it either just because I feel like 

a. I have too many roleplays to juggle and can't make multiple characters in one rp and neglect the rest

b. You don't need more than two protagonists

c. It's just so the poster can have their pairings without the partner getting mad about being made to play the love interests.

now why some people do it is because they think it fleshes out the world. As obviously there are more than two people that exist and they think it fleshes out the story to follow multiple people.

but I'm like you can have side characters without playing multiple mains.

and if you see someone who doubles ask them if that's a deal breaker of if it would be okay just to make side characters. People the players might interact with but that aren't main characters.

Mhm, I am usually interested in what the main characters think/feel/experience, and not so much what happens in the rest of the game world. I guess I am just not a world builder. So I don't usually flesh out stuff that much. In fact, I try to not even play too many side characters. But maybe that is because I was used to another platform? I started roleplaying with Legend of the Green Dragon Servers (LoGDs), and you are a little more restricted, because the world is already there, and you act inside it. More like a P&P, I guess. (Really, I never played a forum rp before, but I am excited to try it out. And maybe world building _is_ for me, who knows)

Thanks for the detailed answers, @nerdyfangirl, I appreciate it ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back