• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Tales of the Fox and the Runaway

Xiulan's entry to the scene was unexpected... but it was strangely effective. Pizarro and crew seemed likewise dumbfounded, just as the kitsunes.

"Hey, Fieldrunner. You know this woman?" - Twigwhistle whispered to him.

"Yes I do. She's a cook with the westerners. And she's scary." - Gengoro admitted.

"Oh, now we're talking sense!" - Pizarro spat out. - "I get my women by going to places. Get your own boat, cheapstake. Boys, we're leaving. I presume the esteemed foremen of Odawara have no objections?"

Daisuke Anno, stressed out as he was, let out a deep sigh. - "We will make measures of the damages, and will hold you accountable if there was loss of civilian life."

"Pfft, yeah, like you are going to boycott trade now that I enabled it. Or prevent me from sailing out while my cannons are facing the town." - the sarcasm was deeply embedded in his tone, but neither he nor Anno added anything further. The sailors looted what they could, hauled off Mieko's and Gengoro's captive monk, along with a couple of survivor ninjas, and left the scene spouting a few curses, cusses, but some giggled while looking over to Xiulan, who was whispering sickeningly sweet things to Yori. Gengoro had the feeling these few joyous sailors knew something that he didn't.

Twigwhistle bowed to Daisuke, praising him. - "You have done the reasonable thing, foreman. A blessing upon you and your bloodline. Please excuse my companions and myself for now; we wish to thank our helpers on our own accord."

Later that night, Yori lay naked on his bed, festooned in iron needles in his skin, unable to talk, move his limbs, or do anything beside nose breathing at all. Xiulan nonchalantly hummed to herself as she dressed up. It has been a while since she treated anyone to her own trademark erotic acupuncture, and she was happy she remembered the method down to the last details. As she was leaving Yori behind, all alone, she turned back for a minute:

"I'll inform Hanae of the proper sequence of removal. If not done right, removing the needles can be excruciatingly painful. Then again, chances are someone else will find you first. She's such a good daughter, I doubt she would intrude upon her father when not called upon personally." - she chuckled gently, blowing Yori a kiss. - "Good night."

"Drink 'till you all pass out! I'm going to!" - Pizarro stated as he gulped down half a bottle of wine in a single swing. With everyone aboard his ship, they were throwing a typical sailor party, with booze and horrible singing.

"I don't know what this liquid is." - Twigwhistle muttered, her cheeks rosy red as she snuggled a barrel. - "But it is strangely attractive."

Gengoro pushed away a mug that was offered to Mieko: - "This time, I'm not letting you do it, girl. Remember, we have prisoners to interrogate below deck."

@Cottontail

Last edited by a moderator:
Mieko gave an annoyed groan and a stern look toward Gengoro, trying to reach across the table for the mug but to no avail. "Come on, it wasn't even that bad last time! I just drank a little and nothing horrible came of it." She stuck her tongue out, getting a few laughs from the sailors around her. She didn't seem horribly pleased, bur it was good that the sailors were in high spirits, even at her expense. Junji lay at her feet, head in his paws as he curiously observed everything going on around him. He hadn't spoken much, which was a little worrying, but Mieko was certain he was just fine.

Hanae had joined them, for the party at least. She would later return home once everything ended, but the linger she could avoid her father the better. She wasn't keen to deal with his wrath, after all, especially considering he'd lost this fight. And he never lost anything. She only lightly sipped at her drink, knowing that she was rather intolerant when it came to alcohol. Instead, she chatted idly with the sailors, talking about this and that in a mix of Japanese and whatever else she knew of their various languages. After a little while, she turned to Gengoro and Mieko, looking rather giddy.

"That was incredible, what you did! You saved the town and managed to talk down my father!" She clenched the mug in her hands, grinning broadly. "No one has ever stood up to him before. Last time someone did, when I was little, they were dragged through the street with a rope attached to an angry ox. Not only did his skin get ripped off, but he was later gored."

Mieko winced. That definitely wasn't the most pleasant of thoughts."I'm just glad we can get you away from him for a little while. He doesn't seem like the nicest of men."

Hanae's smile fell slightly, and she wisely stared into the bottom of her mug. "No, but he does take care of me. He's just a little strict with a few things, that's all. The people may be scared of him, but he's actually not all that bad."

"I don't know, a man who beats his daughter seems pretty bad to me."

Hanae spluttered. "He doesn't--" She clamped her mouth shut, gazing back down again. "... He doesn't do that."

A nearby sailor gave a bitter laugh. "We both know that is not true, Hanny. All of us have seen the bruises."

Gengoro looked to Hanae with a worried expression. He was beginning to understand why Hanae hasn't tried moving away from town; her father may have provided for her, but also intimidated her to obedience, and he seemed to be on all too good terms with the local officials. Hanae couldn't have maintained her own seperate workshop without Yori's contribution, however skewered their relationship was. But that could not stand on long terms. - "Hanae, I know I'm in no position to judge, but... you know this cannot continue. Men should not beat their children. You have talent, creativity, ambitions! I saw it myself when I presented that tsuchigumo fang. It's just not right that you're forced into things, not allowed to go your own way."

Twigwhistle crawled by on all fours, dizzy and mildly pixilated. - "Yeah... *hic*! This guy here..." - she gestured towards Pizarro - "Is a better daddy. I mean, you even hug him and use him as cover. Adopt him or something... *hic*!"

"Don't mind her, she'd drunk." - Gengoro fondled Twigwhistle's hair as she laid beside Junji.

"Am not! Just tingly." - she rolled over on the board, milling with her hands in the air. - "Gimme' bellyrubs, Mieko, I demand them. Woof woof." - she requested, unaware that she was in her human form, minus the fangs which she frequently forgot to change.

Gengoro sighed in slight annoyance, his attention turning to Junji. He was a bit worried over his silence himself; understandable, since so much happened in such a short time. He was probably still shocked and confused, puzzling together the chain of events and how and why they transpired. Or he was just exhausted from having been in bestial fury for over a whole day. One or the other.

Still, knowing they better make haste, and that soon only he and him will be the only sober personnel onboard, the kitsune decided to adress him: - Junji, what do you say we leave the girls their own space for a while? In the meantime, we'll have words with that monk on the brig. Figure out what to do. Sounds good?"

@Cottontail

Hanae sharply turned her body away from Gengoro, not even near ready to breach that subject. She knew he was right, but she wasn't about to admit it. She wanted to believe that her father was sincerely a good man, considering he actually did have moments where he cared for her. Granted, those were small in the masses of his rage, but they were still present. She could do good on her own, if she wanted to, but it would also be strange to suddenly have to deal with her own finances.

Junji offered Twigwhistle an annoyed look as she suddenly lay down next to him, begging for the same bellyrubs that he usually wanted. He turned his back on her, instead looking up at Gengoro. His ruby eyes blinked softly, and he slowly rose up with a small grunt. His body was still rather sore, considering not all of his wounds had recovered. His mouth hurt terribly. "Might as well," he mumbled, tail scraping the ground as he trotted up next to Gengoro.

Mieko raised a curious eyebrow at Twigwhistle, not having expected to see this level of drunkenness coming from her. She would give her a nice bellyrub... But she was in human form. And that was just strange. She offered a forced smile. "Ah, not right now. I'll drink a bit of... Whatever this is, though." Now that Gengoro seemed to be distracted with Junji, she snatched up the tankard and began to indulge herself, a pleased smile on her features. It was warm and slightly burned, but it was definitely good.

Pizarro kept some pause, looking into the distance of the night sky, the starts bright and unveiled. While spirits were high, he heard what Hanae could only partially understand: the songs of his sailors were not all merry. They were a kind of funeral dirge, and one that was used more by pirates than proper traders, sounding jovial only to mask the bitterness.

"Here's to our friends and their knobs of a-heads,

here's to the blood spillt, the smoke, and the dead.

The gate is knocked in, and the town's a-flame,

it's ours for the taking, but they get the fame!
"

In the meantime, Twigwhistle drew herself closer to Mieko, grabbing onto her leg, tails wiggling happily. - "Aww... Come on. Pet me. You do it with Fieldrunner all the time! You even let him come unto you. Not fair... *hic*!"

One of the sailors gave a disturbed look. - "He did WHAT with her?"

Gengoro gave Junji a soft pat on his back, a gesture of friendly reassurance. - "I know this is a lot happening at once... these people are the acquaintances I mentioned, before you and Twiggy got snatched by those ninjas. She told me what happened. For what it's worth..." - Gengoro kept a short pause, head hanging down - "...I'm sorry we couldn't come to your rescue earlier. But coming without backup would had been suicide." - he explained to him. - "How are your wounds faring?" - he inquired.

@Cottontail

Mieko still didn't have enough alcohol in her to deal with this. She gave Twigwhistle an incredulous look before snapping her head to the shoulder. "Nothing like that! He's done nothing at all!" She looked back to the kitsune, face harsh and stern. Apparently a drunk Twigwhistle had absolutely no filter whatsoever. That was definitely not in her best interest. "What we said in the cage? That was totally fake. We were just trying to confuse the kuinochi so that she would let us near one another."

Hanae perked up at this, propping her chin in her palm as she smiled at Mieko. "What did you say?" She let out a bubbly giggle, batting her eyelashes. "Was it naughty? I imagine that if you're reacting like this, it probably was."

The girl's face went red, and she soon busied herself with emptying her tankard as fast as she could. Hanae barked out a loud laugh, her smirk turning to a broad grin. "I didn't know you felt that way!"

"I don't!"

---

Junji shrugged, or at least the best that a dog could. He did seem at least a little bothered about what happened, but he was doing his best to show it. "I... Suppose I can understand the delay. I'm still mourning for the loss of my master, however." He turned around, briefly nibbling at an itch on his haunches. Once it felt satisfied, he returned his attentions to the kitsune. "My wounds do hurt, but we inugami are meant to heal fast. We might actually be decomposing bodies, but that really means that we use whatever dead tissues we've gained to cover up the wounds. It might not work the same, but it at least prevents infection."

Twigwhistle let Mieko go and promptly flattened her face against the boards, her voice becoming muffled. - "Pfft, I saw it all, *hic!* He smooched you, went right through your fingernails and then you farted out his tails. You'd look so much better with mine. *hic*!"

The sailor previously listening decided he didn't drink enough to comprehend this conversation, and discreetly backed away.

It was about this time that Xiulan arrived back at the ship, smiling faintly. She was greeted with great shouts and cups raised, along with joyful smiles. Pizarro turned his head as well, inquiring slyly: - "Well well, Xiu, what took so long? One could torture a man to death in such a timespan!"

She chuckled with ladylike elegance. - "Your speculation is not far off the mark, captain." - she remarked as she joined the girls' circle. - "Greetings, Hanae. I can grant you my assurance your father will be on a better behaviour for the short-term future." - Xiulan closed her eyes while she fanned herself. - "Ahh, what a lovely evening breeze. How do you fare, younglings?" - she asked Mieko and Hanae, unaware that Twigwhistle was crawling under the table in her general direction.

Gengoro pondered whether his and Twigwhistle's healing magic made Junji twinge in pain due to the inugami's unusual state of being. They could mend the dog's wounds with kitsune magic, sure, but still an inugami was brought to being via its own desecrated remains. A theory for later... he nodded at Junji's elaboration, and drove the conversation to a more relevant matter: - "It's understandable. But from what Twigwhistle told us, there may yet be hope for Noboru. He was captured by some special incense censer, and that was to be transported to someone, along with decaying bodies, to some... sorcerer, or somesuch." - he told him, uncertain how much the inugami's memories were intact of the situation. - "Mieko and I captured some strange monk at the hideout that was working with the ninjas. I'm certain he'll know something."

He giggled to himself a bit, recalling how he managed to cheat himself and his companions out of a hopeless situation... with a joke about his gender features. Too bad Junji probably wouldn't get it. When he told Pizarro on the way back to the ship, he didn't burst out laughing like the kitsune expected, but instead clapped, with an admiring look in his eyes.

They got down to the makeshift brig, finally. Two sailors stood guard, but let them through. They understood this was personal business. The chamber that served as the cell of the captives was, ironically, the same chamber Gengoro and Mieko used for practice.

It still had that "nenjans arr stoopid" stick-figure painting.

Beside the monk, there were two ninjas captured during the sailors' raid, unmasked to reveal a young man and a woman, his elder by several years. Hands and legs tied for everyone. The monk hang his head low, while the male ninjas scoffed at their visitors: - "Great. You really had to bring down that stinking mongrel carcass, you sly-ass kitsune?"

"Careful how you adress my friend here." - Gengoro warned the man - "We've both had a rough day."

@Cottontail

Mieko glared at Twigwhistle, but she decided to just leave the matter for now. She could explain what actually happened when the kitsune was more sober. Sipping from her tankard, she turned to greet Xiulan. Offering a small wave, she motioned for her to take a seat. "It's good that you put that man in his place." She glanced to Hanae. "I'm sorry, but you do have to agree that he did need a lesson. He definitely wasn't going to change his own ways anytime soon."

The blacksmith thinned out her lips, shrugging. "I don't know. I just hope you didn't do anything too bad to him, Xiulan. Otherwise he'll probably end up complaining to me for a long time."

Mieko snorted. "I hope she did something awful. Maybe cut off his di--"

"Mieko!"

The girl waved her hand. "Yeah, yeah. Fine." Still, she secretly hoped Xiulan had done something permanent to the man. It would at least teach him a lesson. "In other news, I think we're all fine. Each one of us is having a little drink to commemorate the night. Some more than others, but I think it's just fine to let loose."

---

Junji growled low in his throat at the ninja's jeer, the fur on his back lightly bristling. He definitely wasn't fond of these men, and he wouldn't try and pretend to be. Instead, he merely flicked his tail and sat back on his haunches, turning up his nose to the prisoners. "Hmph. Maybe we should put you in a tiny cage. Maybe I'll piss in it too just to make sure you get the proper treatment."

The female ninja rolled her eyes. "Shut it. We've dealt with worse, mutt. What the hell do you want with us anyway?" She sneered, showing her slightly yellow teeth. "Information isn't coming out of us. We've been trained against all interrogation techniques."

Junji bared his teeth in what could have been a grin, but the dried blood on his gums made it look rather menacing. "That so? Maybe i'll just flay your skin off of your body with my teeth. I'll have you know, people actually don't taste all that bad. I'm sure you wouldn't miss an arm. Or leg. Or perhaps even your eyes. Those are particularly delicious."

Xiulan chuckled softly, barely revealing her shining smile of perfectly white teeth. - "Oh, worry not, Hanae darling. I've taken exquisite measures of him, especially his mouth. Won't be talking comprehensibly nor loudly for a week at least, I warrant it." - she poured a little cup's worth of wine for herself, and her face seemed more lively after she sipped it up. - "Ah. There's not much I appreciate of barbaric cultures... but I do say they can make lovely drinks."

It was around that time that Twigwhistle invasively knelt up under the table, and put her jaw against Xiulan's lap. With incredible speed, Xiulan took out a couple of iron spikes from her overly elegantly done-up hair, and were it not for her quick recognition of the situation, would have driven them straight into the vixen's eyes. She stared down at the rosy-cheeked kitsune in surprise, who gazed back in turn with a pouty look.

Twigwhistle broke the silence first: - "Worship me, strange woman."

Xiu stared coldly in turn. - "Ahh... another huli jing. A white one, even, representative of celestial order. Have you no shame, vixen, descending to a drunken stupor?"

Twigwhistle's response was less then reassuring as she pushed her face up, followed by placing her palms on Xiulan's knees. - "The only shamefulness is refusing to venerate the fluffyness that is Inari's gift! Pet me and be delivered!" - she proclaimed as she pressured her face into Xiulan's belly, making farting sounds with her mouth.

Xiulan sighed gravely, even unladylikely. Ultimately though, she patted Twigwhistle on the head. - "I suppose I can lower myself to do this... by the way, Hanae." - she turned to her - "If I'm not intrusive, might I ask... how you fancy your future? I know weapon forging is profitable now that civil wars are going on. But I fear that could make you a target as well. This... incident with the ninjas has proven it." - she tod her.

Gengoro rolled his eyes over the petty threats Junji was exchanging. - "Easy, Junji, don't let them get under your skin. It's not their company that interests us anyhow." - he shrugged as he gestured towards the monk, who was keeping silent and trying to back into a corner. He grabbed him by his collar and pulled him aside.

"Let me go you accursed fox!" - he complained. - "Perverted possessor! Mischief-maker! How dare you lay hands on a man of my sacred profession?! Do you know whom I work for? He'll implode your guts and shatter every bone in your bodies with a mere invocation!"

"Why, we're so excited to meet him!" - the kitsune smirked. - "Tell us where we may find this fine gentlemen, or else my friend will lick your bare teeth. I warn you, his mouth is very unhygienic!"

The monk, still wearing his partially shorched robes was visibly sweating. The ninjas may have been trained for pain endurance - but he was not. Thusly, he was nervous in accordance as to what a kitsune and an inugami may do to him. - "I... I know how you tricked us, kitsune! The girl had your hoshi no tama with her, didn't she?! So that's how your power was preserved when we kept you sealed seperately!"

Gengoro leaned closer, hands held together. - "You're smart. If only you knew sooner, baldie."

@Cottontail

Mieko gave Twigwhistle a blank look, none to happy that she was no accosting other people for her own pleasure. There wasn't much she could do to stop her, so she merely brought her gaze up to Xiulan. "I'm sorry, Xiu. You're really welcome to shove her away if you'd like. She'll go find someone else to terrorize, but it will at least keep her off of you." Really, did a servant of Inugami have no manners?

Hanae tilted her head curiously at Xiulan's question. Indeed, what would she do when this all came to pass? She definitely wanted to continue making weapons, simply because that was her best skill. It also brought in a good amount of money. "Even with all the dangers that accompany it, I do think I'll keep up my trade. It's one of the only pleasures I find in life, and I'd rather not leave it behind. I'm sure you can understand that."

Mieko gave her a look that she couldn't quite interpret. "Have you ever considered making weapons for a specific group of people? Becoming a smith or an organization or government?" She crossed her arms. "It's more dangerous, but sometimes it pays well. Plus, you'll actually have people on your side."

The smith shrugged. "No, not really. I like where I am and what I do, and I really don't think I want to change that. If I work for an organization, what about the others that come to me? I wouldn't be able to serve them. It doesn't really seem like the kind of person I want to be."

---

Junji rolled his eyes, giving an unprofessional huff. "I'm not even particularly joking. Human flesh really doesn't taste all that bad, though it is definitely looked down upon for obvious reasons." He twisted, his back paw coming up to scratch his ear a few times. "Though I definitely prefer boar meat over human any day. It's also more morally right to eat." He shook his head once he was done scratching, his ear flipping up and folding back on his head. If he noticed, he didn't care.

Now looking considerably less intimidating, he turned his attention to the monk. "Really a bad move on the kitsune's part, I think. Trusting that girl with something that powerful?" He sneered at Gengoro. "I guess you don't mind being a manslave, huh? At least she'll have a servant if she ever gains any higher standing." And he could be a lapdog. Oh, he would definitely be happy with that.

"It's fine, little bird." - Xiulan told Mieko as she tilted her head downwards, Twigwhistle settling and resting her head in her lap. - "It's... nostalgic. And if she inconveniences me, I certainly know how to subdue her." - she displayed a soft smile with a hint of sadness, something so far unseen of her. Nonetheless, she returned to the topic of discussion: - "It's understandable, Hanae. But the way things are, neutral suppliers can't afford to stay independent for long. These folks..." - she nodded towards the sailors - "...they aren't tied to the land. If trouble rears its ugly head, Pizarro can back off as he pleases. But you cannot, Hanae. You live here." - she pointed it out to her.

"If war stretched to this region," - she kept a moment of pause - "The townsfolk may pillage your workshop in desperation, or the besiegers would ramsack it first thing after winning. And you wouldn't have anything left. I say the little bird has a point - someone of your talent needs a patron for protectorate. That, or you start a traveling business and be more flexible in your policies." - she advised her. To her, this wasn't about Hanae's father - an abusive man is no less a bother, true, but there are larger factors at work behind Hanae's outlooks for the future.

Twigwhistle slid forth a bit, gently hugging Xiulan around her waist. - "She's a good mommy. Adopt her and wed her to your new daddy. *hic*!"

Xiulan rolled her eyes, visibly annoyed, but she indulged Twigwhistle nonetheless.

"Wow, Junji, never took you for a chef." - Gengoro remarked, then held his arms apart theatrically. - "As for the orb switch, it was all part of my ingenous master plan." - he revealed his shining teeth with an ear-to-ear stretching smile. - "After you were captured, Junji, the kuinochi came to blackmail Mieko and I. She wanted us alive, and I figured she'd be onto my hoshi no tama. Because bad girls love jewels. So after I met up with these foreigners, we let ourselves be captured, and I tricked them into letting me into Mieko's cage, which was not magically sealed. And lo and behold, the day was saved by my humble self's craftyness! Am I clever?" - he posed it rhetorically.

"...brilliant." - the male ninja remarked dryly. - "Our entire operation was screwed over by a cock joke. A. Cock. Joke."

"Hey, it's not like it was my fault your superiors did not inspect them properly!" - the monk yelled at the ninjas with a reddened face.

Gengoro patted Junji on the back. - "My relationship with Mieko is a personal matter. But so far as you won't be hagging her all for yourself, I'm sure we'll get along just fine, my canine friend. But first and foremost..." - he stepped closer to the monk, a single finger grabbing to his kimono, and drawing him closer to Junji: - "Baldie, tell my distinct cousin here what we both want to know. We had another prisoner, yet only you were left behind. It's all too obvious that the kuinochi wants us to follow after her to your master's lair. By all means, a lady shouldn't be kept waiting!"

The monk gritted his teeth. - "And what makes you think I'll cooperate?!"

Gengoro shrugged. - "Oh, it's so simple. You said your master is powerful, ain't he? Therefore we are of little threat. Or is his omnipotence not so universal after all, hmm?"

After a moment of pondering, he whispered a name. - "Zhang Yasu."

The kitsune contemplated the name. 'Zhang' was not a typical japanese name. Was he of foreign descend, chinese perhaps? He may have to consult Xiulan over this. - "Hm. Ever heard this name, Junji?" - he asked the inugami.

@Cottontail

Hanae didn't look pleased at all. "It's not that easy, Xiu. I've lived here all of my life. If I were to suddenly be uprooted, where could I go?" She shook her head. "I can't just leave my dad behind. While he does support himself, the money I make helps him a lot. What would he do if I wasn't here? What if he grew old and died while I was gone?"

"Abandon his ass," Mieko bluntly suggested, "He's done nothing to help you at all. Why should you stay with someone who's more inclined to hurting you than loving you? You should find your own way in life, instead of just staying with him."

Hanae offered her an incredulous look. "But he's my father!" She knew that he wasn't the kindest of men, but most daughters inexplicably had a bond with their father. Whether through an Electra complex or some other bonding matter, they wanted to be with them and please them. Hanae was no different, and she found it nearly impossible to just leave the man behind. She had no mother that she knew of, and if she were to abandon her father, then it would feel as if she had no family."

Mieko sighed heavily, folding her arms on the table and leaning her head into them. "You could always come with us, Hanae. We might not pay well, but the people we meet sure will. It'll be dangerous, but you'll at least get a sense of adventure. It's nice to be free, and Fieldrunner, Twigwhistle, and Junji really aren't all that bad to hang out with. We'll take care of you."

Hanae bit her lip. "I... I don't know. This is my home."

The girl shrugged. "The offer still stands. I just think you'd like it a lot more."

---

Junji tilted his head, making a small noise deep in the back of his throat. "I feel as if I've heard it before. My master might have mentioned the name once or twice, but I can't be certain of much more than that." The inugami sighed, looking a bit put out. "Bald man, tell us more about your master, otherwise I'll break your bones with my teeth. And I'm awfully hungry too." Actually, he'd eaten a little bit with Mieko, but he was still definitely ready for another meal as long as he could get one.

While waiting for the monk's reply, he glanced to Gengoro. What was the kitsune's relationship with the girl anyway? Clearly they cared for one another a lot, but what beyond that? The dog smiled slightly. He was certain if he just maintained a human form, Mieko would like him a lot more than this stupid fox. He wasn't even all that attractive, anyway. Certainly, if Junji could procure a form appealing to the girl's tastes, he could get her to stick by his side. Then he could have a new master.

Xiulan cast Mieko a strict gaze. - "Don't pressure her, little bird." - she turned to Hanae, then: - "I know it's not an easy decision, Hanae. Nor is it one that you should make immediately. But ponder upon this exchange. Sooner or later, you'll have to take your own path, and while we are in no position to judge, the captain, Ginni and myself both think you'll be better for it."

There was a passing silence between the ladies, abruptly broken as Twigwhistle started sobbing into Xiulan's lap. She looked down on the kitsune girl, perplexed. - "Is something the matter? Have I caressed you roughly?" - she asked.

"No, it's just... so sad... *hic*!" - Twigwhistle muttered while her tears kept flowing. - "Hanae's dad is a prick... Mieko has no family... you have no family... and I never had anyone at all, except Stargazer..." - she started bawling deliriously, turning Xiulan's skirt wet with her tears and nose drippings.

Xiulan's face defaulted into an unreadably bland expression, as if she was restraining herself from hurling the vixen overboard for ruining her clothes, and trying to figure just how the kitsune tapped on her situation of lacking relatives and offspring.

"I am not afraid of you, inugami." - the monk proclaimed none too convincingly. - "But rest assured, I'll indulge you, so that my master might wear your defiant carcass as his cloak."

"Woo-hoo, we're sooo scared." - Gengoro yawned. - "Just drop the act and tell your piece like a good expositor is supposed to."

"Oh, FINE!" - the clean-scalped monk threw a little fit. - "But when master Zhang will rearrange your still living bodies into furniture, don't say I didn't warn you! Zhang Yasu - or that's how he is known to us disciples - is a master of dark arts, practicing his craft away from prying eyes. Should you desire an audience... you'll need to venture to the black valley of Owakudani, where his palace lay within the heart of a basalt mound."

Gengoro picked his ears in boredom. - "Yeah yeah, again with the cryptic narration. Geesh, some people have a fetish for that sort of thing it seems."

@Cottontail

Hanae frowned. This situation was just all too perplexing, not to mention a struggle. Apparently she had the most family out of anyone at this table, and that really wasn't saying all that much. She nervously messed with her hand, just trying to do something in the meantime. She felt awkward, as if everyone was looking to her for her answer. She didn't know. She wasn't someone who could make decisions like these so easily. All of these sort of things took thought and time, neither of which she had much of.

Mieko peered around the table, rolling her eyes at the kitsune. "Twigwhistle, stop bothering Xiulan. As far as I'm concerned, we have enough family with each other. You shouldn't cry because you know that." Sitting up straighter in her seat, she sipped from her tankard. While she was sad at her lack of family, she definitely considered those surrounding her to be a decent substitute. They weren't her father or mother or her brothers, but they were still the closest thing she had to them.

She thought about her family often, and whenever the kitsunes slept separate of her she often had horrid nightmares of their deaths. She could remember her father being skewered, except his head would turn completely around to stare at her. Isao would blame her for his death, gripping her kimono with bloody hands as he spit ichor into her face. It was horrid, but she did her best to dutifully ignore it. Nothing good would come of fretting over such imaginary things, considering they had no real bearing on her future.

---

"Maybe this guy is just overly dramatic himself," Junji offered, letting out a small yawn. It surely seemed like it. The monk's leader wanted to definitely keep up an image for himself, considering he tried to make himself seem as devious as possible. It was actually rather funny in its own right, and Junji couldn't help but snort at the thought. He stretched out his front legs, claws spanning out and digging into the ground below. "Owakundani, though? That's a few hours from here, isn't it?"

He didn't know much of the outside of Odawara, but he could at least place cities and towns on a map if they were close enough to his home. He racked his brain for anything relating to Owakundani, The Boiling Valley. Boiling... Hot. Hot! He smiled at Gengoro. "Basalt? Doesn't Owakundani have tons of volcanic vents? This Zhang fellow might just be located in one of them."

Mieko's remarks seemed to have reached out to Twigwhistle's brain, however scarcely, for she lifted up her face and turned to Mieko with all the charm of a sad puppy. Next thing she knew, the kitsune launched herself at her, glomping and sobbing over her instead of Xiu. - "You're so right, Mieko! *hic*, like a big sis I never had, but I do now! And that stupid field fox is my big brother... one hot brother, but still, just a brother... *hic*!"

"She'll really need to sort out her thoughts after this." - Xiulan noted, frowing as she inspected her soaking wet, ruined dress, standing up slowly, resting a hand on Hanae's shoulder, her gaze meeting hers for a lingering moment. - "Whatever happens, Hanae, remember: you'll always be welcome to come and visit. Your poor father certainly won't dare come aboard, after all." - she chuckled softly, then made her way to down to the cabins so she could get changed.

Gengoro nodded. - "I think you're onto something, Junji. The Boiling Valley, huh... I never visited the place, but heard of it. It's a volcanic region, yes... how completely cliche of this Zhang fellow, to pick the most sinister looking place around. Then again, he might be in there for the hot springs. Mmhh, could use one of those to relax after all this..." - his thoughts drifted off momentarily at this idea. - "But that's several days' travel at least, even with our speed. We'll need supplies."

The monk giggled to himself. - "You'll be going to your doom, foolish yokai-"

Gengoro tore a paper down from the wall, crumpled it and showed it to the man's mouth. - "Yeah yeah, thanks for the directions. Come Junji, there's better food upstairs than down here." - he concluded.

Walking past the two ninjas, however, he couldn't help but turn his head and ask them something: - "I'll never understand folks like you. Especially your boss lady. What's the deal with assassination that so many are willing to do this?"

The younger ninjas shrugged. - "Our chief had a rough childhood. We all did."

"Rough enough to be forced to kill, then learn how to profit from it?" - Gengoro tilted his head.

"Rough enough to grow indifferent and accept life for the frail thing that it is." - came the reply.

The kitsune sighed. - "Always the same lesson learned. And never the right one." - with that, he exited the cabin room, and decided to join the group aboard deck.

...only to be met with the sight of Twigwhistle rubbing herself over Mieko, tails wiggling in rabid frenzy. - "Uhh... have we missed something, girls?"

@Cottontail

Mieko was struggling to shove Twigwhistle off, the girl's white hair getting all in her mouth as she rubbed into her. "Get off!" she cried out, shoving her but to no avail. She was an absolute nuisance. Upon hearing Gengoro's voice, she offered him pleading eyes. "For the love of everything that is holy, help me, Fieldrunner! Twigwhistle drank too much and she's trying to kill me!" She didn't have enough alcohol in her own body to deal with this right now.

Hanae let out a small laugh, scratching her cheek. "She just really seems to like you, it seems. You should be happy for that." She looked to Gengoro as well, before offering a small noise of surprise. "Who's your friend, Fieldrunner?"

Mieko peeked around Twigwhistle, eyes widening as she saw the man standing behind Gengoro. He was a few inches taller, pale skin, shaggy black hair... Thank the gods, he had a kimono this time! He looked a little different, for his eyes were no longer red but a bright fawn, and his face seemed to be a little less sunken in, a little less rugged. "Junji, when did you transform?"

"On the way up here. I figured it would be easier to navigate this ship as a human than a dog." A lie, but she didn't need to know that. His kimono was white, representative of his fur. After observing the kitsune's own kimonos, he had been able to figure out how they managed to convert their fur into it. Now he no longer needed to be horribly naked. At least, horrible to other people.

Hanae looked even more surprised. "Can every yokai transform like this?"

Junji shook his head. "No. Normally, I'd prefer to be an inugami, but this is simply easier for now." He flared out his kimono, striking a pose of sorts and flashing Hanae a smile. His teeth were perfectly human. "How do I look?"

The smith spluttered. "Uh, just fine."

Gengoro let out a little sight. Honestly, the company he's putting up with... why must he play the role of the adult? - "Mieko, just tickle her. Remember, Twiggy is sensitive to that." - and with that said, he decided to ignore the ongoing molestation. At least now Mieko got a taste of what it felt like to be rubbed against without consent.

He eyed Junji curiously as Hanae and Mieko both drew attention to his change. Curious... the inugami seemed to have bothered learning a new trick, mimicking that of the kitsunes. Gengoro was unsure where or how Junji got this capacity from, but for now, he let the matter rest, and was thankful the inugami managed to convert his looks more efficiently. Last thing they needed was a blazing-eyed albino walking naked on board as the crew were descending to tipsyness. They might would have started panicking and brawling, or at the very least throwing clothes. However, despite his best efforts, Junji was still looking unusual, sticking akwardly out of the crowd compared to normal people. Gengoro swallowed a mild chuckle as he introduced him to Hanae: - "This here is Junji, an inugami. We met him on the way to town, and he had unsettled business with the ninjas. Truthfully, we wouldn't have come in this direction if it wasn't for him." - he elaborated, then turned to Junji: - "Nice work on the kimono, mate. It makes you look much better-"

"You look like a drowned corpse fished out in the morning. *hic!*" - Twigwhistle blurted out with the subtlelty of a sledgehammer. With Junji's pale skin, unhealthy eye color and wildly messy hair, she had a fair point, if an insensitive one. - "You're unworthy of Mieko's love. She's my... *hic*, sweetness and am not letting her go!"

Gengoro buried his face into his palm. - "Twiggy, you're drunk. Fall asleep or something. We have matters to discuss, for crying out loud."

@Cottontail

Hanae gave Gengoro an unsure look, but she supposed as long as the two were on somewhat friendly terms, she had nothing to fear. Even if the man--inugami--did look a bit frightening. He was taller than normal, and his nose was rather European. He was paler than some of the geisha she'd seen, whom even without makeup were pale due to not ever working a day of their lives in the sun. His hair was wild, waves falling down to frame his face and cascade over his shoulder, choppy bangs flared across his forehead. Yes, he was definitely a strange looking man, but Hanae supposed she'd have to deal with that for now. She offered a small bow of her head. "Nice to meet you."

Junji only snorted, sneering at her before making his way over to Twigwhistle. He frowned slightly, folding his arms and giving Mieko his most pitiful look. "Why do you pet the dirty kitsune but not me? How come she's more deserving?"

The girl glared at him. "I'm not petting her! She's just getting all over me!" Deciding to heed Gengoro's words, she curled her hands into claws and began to viciously tickle the kitsune's sides, going up and down them in any effort to get the girl off of her. It wasn't that she didn't appreciate her friendly gestures, but this was just completely out of hand. Hugging and petting was one thing, and full-body molestation was another. Once they discussed the aspects of personal space, then she would allow Twigwhistle closer.

Hanae giggled, watching the scene with amused eyes. It seemed that they were truly dogs down to their core. Twigwhistle seemed eager to get any contact whatsoever, and the dour Junji seemed rather hurt by the fact that Mieko was paying attention to someone else more than him. Both even had puppy-like faces, their eyes representative of their species. Twigwhistle's a bit more severe, yet holding a playfulness. Junji's were rounder, more bright, but they were a bit muddled by his gloomy expression. Overall, they were definitely competing canines.

Twigwhistle was writhing in painful chuckling as Mieko moved on to the counter-offensive. - "Ahaha*hihihHIC*! S-stop ihihit!" - she complained as she succumbed to her inherent weakness, but still doing her best to snuggle with Mieko, albeit steadily losing her grip until finally she dropped hard against the planks of the ship.

Gengoro put up a neutral expression, occupying a seat beside Hanae. - "Take notes, Junji. What Twigwhistle just did is called molestation, and humans don't like it." - he remarked as he poured a cup of wine, sipping ever so gently. - "Why do I have to be the adult of this motley crew..." - he muttered more to himself than to her.

Out of the blue, Pizarro roused his voice: - "Ahoy! Attention, sea-rats and land-mice alike!" - he steadied himself, though almost falling over his own legs, whilst raising a mug. From his gesticulation, it seemed he was trying to give a speech. He cleared his mouth with the sleeve of his shirt, then carried his gaze around as the crew fell strangely silent. Despite his hazy eyes, the captain seemed serious. - "We have lost some good folks today. Some of you questioned: why. Why bother standing up, when we have no part in this town's fate? Why stand up to injustice, if there's no profit to be made of it? Why lend a hand, when it will only be pushed aside once the dangers pass?" - he kept a short pause. - "Because all evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Had we not interfered, we would have betrayed many - not just poor Hanny, but ourselves. Betrayal is cowardice. Betrayal is refusal to lead by example. Betrayal is to sit idly by, claiming it's no business of ours, until the devil's minions run rampart and have corrupted all hearts."

He began waving and pointing his hand around fiercely. - "All Japanese speak of courage and honor. But I tell you, precious few know the meaning of it. Courage is to stand by your principles against all odds. Yet they let some scores of furnace-cleaners terrify them to passivity. Honor is to do the right thing, even if you have absolutely no reason for it. And that is why..." - he turned towards Hanae, Mieko and the yokai trio - "I can state that it was our pleasure, to prove ourselves beside you. Those who died did not do so in vain - we will remember them, and the losers of this bag of shite city will remember us. That we did what they dared not, and we have more honor than they'll ever have! Cheers!"

The crew broke out in simultaneous roars, despite barely comprehending half of what their boss said.

Gengoro himself merely tilted his head. - "...why did he speak one half Japanese, and the other in his own tongue?" - he wagered it was because of the captain drunkness, but he couldn't have been sure.

@Cottontail

Hanae raised her glass as well, offering a broad smile to Pizarro. While she hadn't caught all of his speech, she at least knew the gist of it. These men valued loyalty above all else, and thus they would gladly carry out any action their dear Captain proposed. She found it to be both terrifying and kind all in one strange roll.

Mieko looked much more confused, her brows furrowing. She decided to raise her glass to follow everyone in suit, but she had real no idea what was going on. Junji just ignored the situation, settling himself on the floor and placing his head against Mieko's leg. She offered him an odd look, but decided to say nothing on the matter. She could reprimand him later when she wasn't so exhausted. Instead, she favored for leaning in toward Hanae, brows furrowed together in confusion. "What was that last bit he said?"

The smith offered a pleasant smile. "Something about keeping honor. I really wouldn't worry too much about it. All you need to know is that Pizarro was more than happy to help you out, even if it did cause us all our fair share of troubles. He wasn't afraid to assist, even if it could have costed him his life. It's just the way of this crew."

Mieko nodded. "Ah, I guess that makes sense." She now turned her attentions to Junji. "Did you need something, or are you just tired?"

"Pet me."

"I--uh, I don't---"

"Pet me."

Well then. Making an uncomfortable noise in the back of her throat, she began gingerly petting his head, all the while giving Gengoro a pleading look. His hair was so greasy! They needed to get this damn dog a bath before she went around petting him. Stifling her gag reflex, she just ignored how his hair felt and instead focused on just stroking it.

Gengoro decided to settle for an amused smile at the begging look in Mieko's eyes. - "Oblige him, girl. He is emotionally traumatized and in need of comfort." - he concluded as he took another sip. He has had more than enough quarreling and parenting for one day. But as if that wasn't enough, Twigwhistle has chosen him as her next target of harassment, sliding up to him with rosy cheecks, laying her head on his shoulder. He offered no commentary, but didn't push her away either.

This was a long, long, way too long night. And tomorrow they'd have much to do.

And so it was that after a night of rejoycing - and a morning full of akward realizations and regrets - that the strange group of three yokai and a mere mortal girl resumed their journey. Saying farewells to the strange captain from a faraway land, as well as his crew of noble misfits, they would depart for the Boiling Valley.

But not before a last order of business. Though ashamed that he had nothing more to offer Hanae, Gengoro would ask Hanae for a new weapon for Twigwhistle. Something sturdier than the last acquisition. He picked a slender, relatively short naginata that was forged steel from tip to bottom, with a detachable head. He felt he would not be able to ever repay the debt to the smithing girl and the selfless help she and her business associate, captain Pizarro showed. Bereft of magic, Twigwhistle herself was hesitant to accept yet another gift - but promised to pray for Hanae's well-being frequently. This was the least she could do in turn.

Having packed their backpacks full of supplies, the yokai and their host were on their way to confront the source of much unrest.

The first couple of days passed by largely uneventful. The kistunes would train with Mieko, and Gengoro would make her practice the same unorthodox mixture of dancing and writing as they did aboard the foreigners' ship, if only for short times. Junji proved himself invaluable in pursuing the trail of scent the kuinochi involuntarily left with her passage.

Stopping to rest for a while during a third day, by a riverbank coursing through uninhabited woods, Gengoro mused on possibilities while conversing with Twigwhistle: - "You seem to be holding up well. I thought that if the hoshi no tama were seperated, you'd be in a much worse state."

"I thought so myself." - Twigwhistle nodded as she settled down and let her bare feet into the streaming flow of water. - "I mean, I do feel that... I'm missing an important part of me, and it's stressful, but... physically, I'm not affected that much. Maybe it takes longer for the weakness to take hold?" - she theorized. - "Or... perhaps the kuinochi isn't that far, and she's deliberately keeping just a certain distance so I don't die off? I mean, if that happened, she'd gain nothing from me."

Gengoro gazed off into the distance. - "Good point... but why this obsession with yokai?" - he smothered his chin.

@Cottontail

Mieko was wading in the water, having folded and pinned her kimono up with that old hairclip she'd bought a ways back. The cold water slipped around her bare legs, making her feel quite refreshed. She'd already sipped from it and filled up their canteen skins, so now she was more than happy to play in it. Had it been any deeper, she would have avoided it like the plague. However, since its shallow nature meant she couldn't possibly drown, she was glad to splash around. "Some people just really like the legends of yokai," Mieko offered, kicking up some water toward Junji. He was laying more downriver in his dog form, his mouth wide open as the water flowed directly into it.

"Back at home, whenever I got to go out, I would sometimes get to talk to this older man who was absolutely obsessed with all the legends. That's probably half the reason I only know what I do. He was mostly interested in the gods, but he liked to talk about yokai too. Some people just believe so much that it takes over their lives." She let out a squeal of surprise as Junji snuck up on her, using his tail to splash water on her back. She rounded on him, beginning to chase him through the shallow river as he bounded away, no more than just a few feet out of reach.

Finally, Junji allowed himself to be caught by her, but he promptly flopped down so she fell along with him, getting her kimono completely soaked. She yelped at the sudden cold, and it only became worse when the inugami transformed into his human form, flipping her over to her back got wet too. He ensured her head was able to stay above water, but he lightly pressed on her shoulders until she was squirming about her soaked kimono. "Junji!" she cried out, laughter in her voice, "Get off!"

He relented, jumping back and smiling down at her. He was glad to be able to move like this again, now that he back was mostly healed up. Plus, she was very happy to play with him now that he could clothe himself when in human form. Overall, it was a dog's dream. Once she managed to get back up, she settled for chasing him again, doing her best to try and catch him so she could give him a taste of his own medicine.

"Well, he was wise to educate you, Mieko." - Gengoro told her - "After all, here you are, surrounded by us humble canine folk." - he elbowed on his knee as he sat, resting his head in his palm. - "Still... this is worrying. We may never know whether that kuinochi is luring us to a trap." - he muttered to himself as Junji took Mieko's attention by his surprise tail-splasher attack.

For a while, the two kitsunes just watched the ensueing childish game. The field fox pondered on the river's shallow state - the riverbed was just so wide, there's no way the flow it had now was its original, natural state. Perhaps further up some village built a dam upon it? He wouldn't know. Twigwhistle leaned with her head towards Gengoro: - "I thought you didn't like Junji being with Mieko?"

Gengoro shrugged. - "Well, I had my concerns. More out of worry for Mieko than jealousy, but when it boils down to the basics, just look at him: he's a big dog, nothing less or more. Let him have his fun after all he's been through."

"He's still a petty, selfish dog, to crave her attention that much." - Twigwhistle remarked.

Gengoro smiled cheekily. - "Is that so? Then what do you have to say for yourself, oh venerable fluffyness of Inari? Woof woof." - he mimicked Twigwhistle's drunken mannerism, causing her face to go red with embarrassment.

"I- it wasn't me, Fieldrunner, that odd foreign drink did it all, clouded my judgement and an- ...wait." - she stopped abruptly, ears sharp, her head tilting. - "Do you... hear that? Something rumbles in the distance."

Gengoro paid heed to her. She wasn't wrong - something was coming strong and hard down the river's current, not like walking, but more as a wave. The realization sunk in. - "Everyone, out of the river!" - he yelled, darting straight for Mieko and grabbing her by the waist, he quickly moved her ashore to safety, hoping Junji will follow suit.

Like some crushing tidal flood, a humonguous wave of water came crashing across ferociously. Had Mieko been caught within, heavens know what would have happened. But why did this happen so suddenly?

The answer came in the form of an amphibious, grotesque, toad-faced entity which emerged as the wave settled down and the river's water level was now much higher. It was a kappa - a water yokai, and it was none too pleased. - "A HUMAN in MY river?! Of all the INDIGNITIES! Why don't you just invite your whole DISGUSTING species in?!"

Twigwhistle rose to her feet, naginata in hand, extending it in a gesture of warning. - "You adress a companion to an envoy of Inari, kappa! She has done you no harm. Why the hostility?" - she questioned the creature.

"What have humans as a whole done to ME!? Oh, where do I even BEGIN!" - the creature cried out in frustration, its thin scaly fingers clenching with a strangling motion.

Gengoro sighed as he let Mieko down. - "Ah great. Look Mieko. Another crazy person."

@Cottontail

Junji had luckily heard the same sound, darting out of the water himself and making it to shore in record time. Mieko was the only one left unawares, and she didn't look too pleased at all that Gengoro had decided to ruin her fun. She initially struggled to pull away from him, until the giant wave came by, splashing water onto those even on shore. Oh. Well, she definitely wouldn't have wanted to be in the water when that happened. After all, she still couldn't swim, and she didn't want to attempt that now.

The kappa was a rather ugly creature if she was going to be honest. She was never normally one for putting down others, but, gods, she had never wanted to see this kind of yokai before. It looked a bit like an oversized turtle, but turtles were cute. Kappas were not. This fellow was all green, with a squished face, stringy hair coming out of a circular bald spot, and weird webbed feet. Mieko really couldn't help the scrunched up look she gave to the creature as she slipped to move a bit more being Gengoro for safety.

"Fieldrunner," she murmured, her voice low, "It's really ugly." Its face was even worse when yelling. Perhaps she was being too mean, but it seemed that Junji had picked up on her little conversation meant for Gengoro's ears, because he was snorting. He definitely agreed, but he was a little wiser and didn't go blatantly stating his thoughts to the kappa's face. Instead, he merely settled for tilting his head at the yokai.

"Oh, please, tell us more, kappa. If you don't tell us anything, we'll never know." He knew some humans were less gracious than others. He could imagine what travesties had fell upon the kappa, but surely they weren't so severe that he would blatantly attack people. If so, they would definitely need to straighten out this fellow's way of thinking with a few choice words. Or a lovely fight. Really, Junji would prefer the latter if it could come down to it.

Gengoro held up his index finger in a lecturing manner after Mieko was firmly on her feet. - "Mieko, girl, you should not apply your human beauty standards to representatives of other races. It's impolite, even if they are ugly."

"Oh, now they're even dumping talking dog CARCASSES to MY river?! DESPICABLE!" - the kappa cringed at Junji's plight. - "First they take pisses, then dumps, then pour all sorts of other liquids in when they wash, and now animated CORPSES!? DO HUMANS NOT REALIZE MY FOLK LIVE IN HERE?!? UGGGH! And they have the nerve to call US ugly! They are the most wretched beings is ALL creation!"

Twigwhistle was unsure how to reply. - "Uhh... I symphatise with your sorrow... I guess?" - she never really pondered on the perspective of kappas, and now it was all emptied upon her, with all the unpleasant and unhygienic implications. - "Nobody should have their living space violated so... grossly... euggh..." - she covered up her mouth.

"Esteemed kappa." - Gengoro approached, bowing lightly. - "We apologise if we have been trespassing on your property. We were unaware of your claimancy of this lovely river."

"Feigning ignorance now, are we?!" - the creature yelled inelegantly. - "It's all the same story, people just bumble right in, assuming if no-one's around, they OWN the place!"

Gengoro tilted his head. - "It's clear to me this is not the first occasion. Has something happened that tipped you over the edge so much?" - he inquired.

The kappa snorted in noises that would not be fitting the throat of any animal. - "A DAM. A DAMN DAM. I TEAR IT DOWN EVERY TIME, YET THEY REBUILD IT! And now, to top it all off, they hired murderers to kill ME!"

"Ah." - Gengoro concluded. - "So you're venting your frustrations on innocent bystanders because you were unjustly driven out and have nobody else to bother about it."

The kappa promptly started pummeling the pebbles on the riverside. - "SHUT UP! DON'T TALK LIKE YOU'D DO ANY OTHER WAY, YOU FIELD FOX!"

"...I loathe being right about everything." - the kitsune rolled his eyes.

@Cottontail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back