• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Tales of Nakashigata - Hoshi's Journal

T
Created at
Index progress
Complete

Roleplay Index​

Kaerri

Dannigan's Lady
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
As explained in her first entry, Shirai Hoshiko started keeping a journal on her first day at the academy. I've deliberately not dated any of the others; though in-character she writes daily, I don't have that kind of time (and couldn't make them all interesting in any case), so these will be more highlights along the way.

Most of these will probably ordinary-day entries, but some will reflect in-RP happenings from Hoshi's perspective. At that point they'll probably start getting out of order, oops. But then I hear Robert E. Howard didn't write the Conan stories in order, either -- he's described it as listening to someone (Conan) telling the stories to him and wrote them in the order in which they were told to him. So at least I have a high-profile example to look up to? ^:3^

First day at the academy

To Rui-sama, Dragon of the Koi

Please forgive my impertinence in addressing you. You see, my mother suggested I start a journal when I started at the academy, and my father has given me a very nice book in which to write, and so I feel I ought. However, it feels very cold and alone to be writing to oneself. I hope you do not mind that I write to you, instead. When I do, I feel as if I am back beside the waterfall up which you ascended, back in the home I so miss, and not in this dry and solitary dormitory. I do not mean to complain. It is very nice to have a room to oneself. And it is odd to say it feels solitary when I am no more comfortable when I am among my fellow students -- less so, in fact. Shyness is truly a curse. I am trying, however. I even asked a question of the senpai who showed me around. And of course I thanked her for her kindness. It would be rude not to do so, and I must not be rude.

I did enjoy the journey here. My father said that as it was a special occasion, we would not be taking horses but the train! It is a great expense to be sure, and I will send him a gift from the city shops when I am able to find one that is both appropriate and something he would use and enjoy. He does not like presents that are merely for show. Perhaps I can find a new mechanical pen for him. I hear there have been some improvements in the design of late. The train was very interesting. As passengers of course we did not see the engine, only the passenger cars, but as such things will be part of my studies I hope to see one up close another time. It was very odd to be moving and not feel the wind, though the vibration and swaying of the cars did convey some sense of movement. I liked it very much. Maybe when I am a full engineer I can afford to take train rides more often.

Classes do not start until tomorrow, but I was given my schedule when we passed through the registration. I was pleased to see that both archery and music are included in this term. There is nothing relating to clockworks, which I was particularly hoping for, but perhaps there are other classes prerequisite that I must pass first. I will do so. I will do my best here, and more than my best if that is not good enough.

I have just heard the signal for lights-out, and so I must conclude for tonight. I hope that all is well in the Lake and Shrine of the Koi and that you have had a good day. Good night.

Chance meeting (Hoshi and Tora)

Good evening, Rui-sama. I hope that you are well and that all is peaceful at the waterfall tonight. It is clear and moonlight here, and the stars are lovely.

I met a boy today. This does not sound unusual because there are many boys in my classes, but this one I spoke to, a little. I was in the little copse near the archery butts, the one with the pines whose branches hang so full and so low that I may sit under them and be not just hidden, but almost unheard, if I do not play too loudly. Today I must have played too loudly, because when I opened my eyes (I had shut them to focus), there was a boy standing there. He seemed to be older than me, and not in one of my classes. I did not know what to say. Perhaps he felt the same. For a while we just looked at each other. Then he said, "That's an odd song." That seems not quite polite to me, but perhaps it was odd to him. (I was playing "Cry of the Dragon.") So I said, "Yes." We looked at each other again. He said, "Mind if I sit down?" I said, "No," which was not quite true but it would be rude to send him away. I did not want to stare, so I looked down at my flute. He said, "You can keep playing if you want. Don't mind me." Of course I could not think of anything to play. Finally I remembered "Sakura," because everyone knows it and so I learnt it very early. After that, he said, "You play well." I said, "Thank you." I wished I could think of something else but I could not, and my music was in my room because I had just stayed here after archery practice, not planned on playing. We sat in the quiet for a long time. He didn't seem to mind, but I felt very nervous because Grandmother always says that small talk is the responsibility of the woman, and I am never any good at it. Finally I put my flute in its bag and grabbed my bow and arrows, and said, "Please excuse me, I have geometry to finish." Which was not a lie because I did, but only a little because I had done most of it during lunch. I do not know if he said anything because I ran away then.

I wish I had stayed. Maybe we could have talked.

Next time I will stay. Next time I will have my music, too, so that if I cannot talk, I can play.

Not so chance meeting (Hoshi and Tora)

I saw the boy again today. His name is Matsumoto Toratetsu. He has already passed his four years in the School of Defense and is now in the military program, so he is not a boy anymore, really, but a man. I am glad I brought my music to archery today, so that I would have it when I went into the pines afterwards. I started with a happier song this time, and there he was again. I said, "Please come sit. My name is Shirai Hoshiko, of the Lake and Shrine of the Koi." He did, and then he told me his name. I showed him my music and asked if there was something he wanted to hear. (I practiced that last night before I went to sleep, so that it would come out right and not shy like usual.) He picked one my flute instructor said is very popular in the Lake and Shrine of the Sword, which is where Matsumoto-senpai is from. He smiled when I played it. He has a nice smile, as if his whole self was in it. Some people smile only with their mouths and it feels false, but not him. I was going to play another song, but he asked if I was in the School of Humanities for my flute-playing. I am sure I blushed, because that is a good compliment, but also because I am not, and it still seems unfeminine to say I like engineering. But I did anyway. I said, "No, I just like it. I'm in the School of Sciences, and I want to design clockworks and machinery." I think I surprised him. My brothers always teased that I don't look very smart, but then they are always teasing about something.

Matsumoto-senpai did not tease me. He just said, "Oh," and then I asked what he was studying so that I would not have to talk about myself. He must be at least four years older than I am to be so far ahead, maybe even five. But he doesn't talk down to me, even though I am so much younger. I really did have a lot of classwork still to do today, but I told myself I could do some during dinner instead of reading ahead as I usually do. So I had time to play several songs for him in between when we talked about classes, and did not leave until the meal bell chimed.

We are not meeting by the pines tomorrow because I have an extra hour of mathematics after archery. Matsumoto-senpai says that we can drink tea after dinner instead. I think I will like that. The forms of the tea ceremony are almost as relaxing as playing music. Maybe he thinks so too.

Chemistry lab

It was laboratory day in chemistry. I hate laboratory days. It is not that I do not like chemistry, although truthfully it is not my favorite and I would rather be studying principles of motion in physics, which we are supposed to begin next week. It is that we are always partnered on laboratory days. Talking to people is less hard when there is only one of them, but the other tables are not so far away and everyone can hear when I mix the wrong thing and my partner scolds because our solution is the wrong color. And then they all stare so that I cannot remember what I'm supposed to be doing and it all gets worse. I wish I could do laboratory work on my own, and with no one in the room except perhaps the instructor, if he is not watching. Only he is always watching, especially when someone makes a mistake. He looks like a hawk, with his sharp nose and gold-brown eyes.

I should not complain. Washi-sensei is always watching, but if he does not speak kindly neither does he speak harshly, he only corrects and moves on. It is the staring of everyone else that upsets me so. I just wish I could not make that first mistake because it always leads to others, and then I look like I do not know what I am doing. And that is the worst feeling of all.

I will stop writing early tonight and read my chemistry text until it is time to sleep. Maybe if I can learn the experiments better beforehand, I will not forget them so easily on laboratory days.

I hope your day was much better than mine, Rui-sama. Good night.

September 14
Yes, there's a date on this one, but for a reason! And it doesn't mean entries I post after this necessarily came after. Chronology is hard when you write by inspiration instead.

Today is my birthday! Even though I am at school and cannot have a proper celebration, I am still too excited to sleep until the morning bell, and so I am writing to you. My family sent a box that arrived yesterday, so as to be on time -- they are very particular about such things. It was such a surprise! Mother did not mention it at all in any of her letters, and Father just wished me a happy day in his last (which arrived the day before yesterday, and so he must have sent it while they were still filling the box!). There are presents from everyone. I am glad they are all small -- I would feel bad if they had had to pay a great deal to ship it all.

From Grandfather is a small leather case, no bigger than my hand, which holds a number of small tools. They look like those the travelling watch-makers have -- small screwdrivers, a little hammer, tweezers for gripping tiny gears, and other useful things. He also sent several white cloths, like handkerchiefs but absolutely plain. He says they are for cleaning my hands afterwards. I think he has not forgotten the time I took Father's pen apart and got ink all over my hands!

From Grandmama are a pair of new hairsticks, which appear to be gold but I think may be gilt, and have strings of tiny glass koi in shades of orange and white dangling from one end. I must be careful with them so as not to scratch the gilt or lose any of the koi, and will only wear them for special occasions. The silver ones I have now will do very well for ordinary days. I would like to learn how to make the glass koi. They are molded and carved, not blown, but the tinting is within the glass, not painted on.

From Father is a set of goggles that I fear must be expensive, they are so fine! I thought at first they were for safety, but when I tried them on I could tell the lenses magnified things! (That is how I could inspect the koi on my new hairsticks.) Some of the students here have goggles that are much more ornate, but I like these better. Father knows I like simple things, if they are well-made and useful or pretty.

From Mother is a number of new songs for my flute. Some of them seem very strange; I do not think they are even from Nakashigata! I will learn them however. Music is always a joy even if I do not understand it.

My brothers all gave me books: one on flute-making, one on springs (it is the same as in the library! So I can read it in my room without worrying about someone else needing it), and one from Kesuke that he made himself. It tells your story, Rui-sama, but with only a few lines on each page because Kesuke filled in the rest with the most beautiful little paintings. He is such an excellent artist. I hope he will come to the academy when he is older, but of course I will be gone by then. He is only twelve now, and I am nineteen today!

Oh! There is the morning bell. I must get dressed for the day. I will wear my new hairsticks in honor of my birthday, but I must remember to come back and exchange them before archery. I do not want the koi getting caught in my bowstring.

Today has been a mixed day. Some parts were upsetting, and some were good, and some were possibly both. But I think it ended well.

In geometry we started advanced calculations, using graphs and a lot of notepaper. Someone should invent a device to do the math. It is not that I cannot do it, because I can, and I like to see the numbers come together for a solution. It is that it takes so very long sometimes, and when one wants to get on with it and set up one's bridge structures (sensei promises that will come after we all have learned the proper calculations), it would be nice to do the math quickly. Perhaps I will work on the calculating device. But I would much rather be building the bridges. It is so interesting to see how our work on angles can be applied to real things!

I stayed behind to ask sensei about weights for the bridges (he says that's for a later course; for this class we are just to concern ourselves with angles and lines). But then I had to almost run through the halls so that I would not be late to my next class. Only I came around a corner too quickly and ran into someone, almost knocking both of us down. But I think she might have been running too, because the next class period was about to start and there were no classes in this part of the hallway for her to go into. She was very angry that I had run into her. She turned very red and stared at me, and said, "Watch where you're going, idiot!" I could not say anything in my defense, because I had been running, and it is not right to blame someone else when you have done wrong, even if they have too. So instead I bowed, very properly as Grandmother taught us when we have done wrong, and said, "Please forgive me, senpai." (I said "senpai" because she looked older than I am, even though I do not know what year she is in.) She stared more and said, "Don't do it again!" and walked away very quickly. I bowed again just in case, and then ran for my class. Except when turning corners. Then, I slowed down so that I would not run into someone again.

But having to stop and apologize made me late to class. It was flute, too, which is particularly embarrassing because I like the flute sensei and I think she likes me. Of course I bowed and apologized to her, deeper than I had to the student I had run into because it is to an instructor instead of a student. Because I was the last one there, everyone else was watching when I came in and bowed and apologized and tried to find an empty place. Of course the only one was in the back, so that I had to pass by the entire class to get there. I could feel my cheeks burning the entire way. It is a good thing one cannot really die of mortification. However, sensei is kind, and she did not call on me at all today, which was good because I am sure I would have done something wrong from being so upset.

After flute was archery. I was not late and nothing in particular happened to draw attention to me, which was good because I did not shoot as well as normal and I was afraid the archery sensei might notice. But if he did, he did not say anything, and spent most of class helping one of the other students who was shooting very badly indeed today.

After archery I retreated to the little copse of pines so that I could calm down before supper. Matsumoto-senpai found me there before I had played more than a couple songs, and I suppose I still looked upset to him, because he asked me what was wrong. I told him about the girl in the hallway. His smile went away. Well, not exactly away, because his teeth were still showing, but it somehow looked very different, not happy at all, and his eyes narrowed and his brows lowered. It was almost scary except I knew it wasn't at me, because the next thing he said was to ask who she was. It is maybe a good thing that I could only say I did not know. I don't know what he would have done but I think it is better that he could not. I said that it was only a small thing. He said it wasn't small if I was upset, which I couldn't argue, but I did say that I was feeling much better now, which was true, or at least mostly true. He still looked like he wanted to find the girl himself, but he didn't go away, just let me play more. I played my favorites today, like "The End of the Road of Clouds" and "The Dance of the Tree Spirits." Those are hard to stay upset through, and I think Matsumoto-senpai and I were both feeling a lot better by the time we had to leave. All the same, I made sure to smile at him so that he knew I was not upset anymore, and he smiled back, much more like his normal self.

But it wasn't over yet, because I ran into the girl again on the way back from supper. Only not literally this time, but as I was leaving she stepped in front of me. I couldn't help looking around for Matsumoto-senpai, but she didn't yell this time. She just said, "I shouldn't have been running either," and looked at me like there was more she wanted to say but didn't have words. I know what that looks like because I feel the same way a lot. I said, "I will be more careful next time too." She nodded and walked off. I am not sure what to think about her, but I like that she came looking for me. I think she was trying to apologize, and wasn't sure how.

So today ended on a good note after all. I will have to remember to tell Matsumoto-senpai that she apologized so he won't be angry with her anymore. I don't like seeing him angry, even if it isn't at me.

This was very long today and I actually kept on writing after the bell for lights-out, but I wanted to finish before I went to sleep.

Goodnight, Rui-sama.

Last edited:
To: Rui-sama, Dragon of the Koi

Bridges3.pngGrandmother would say that writing so large is wasting space, but I don't care! We did bridges in physics today! Not real ones of course, that will be in structural engineering or architecture. But even small ones of toothpicks and glue require calculating and consideration. We each built our own, and then Sensei tested each with weights. And MINE held up second-longest!!

I had to go and dance around the room a little, I am still so excited! I did not expect it! Many of the other students are very clever, and I was sure I would be in the middle at best. But I think some did not remember what Sensei said about triangles being the most stable shape, and others made bridges that were very pretty but not very well supported. You see, they are to be made entirely of toothpicks held together by glue, but not coated in glue because that tests the glue and not the design. Sensei said mine is like the design called "Bowstring" which I liked because it combines two things I am good at, math and archery. But of course it is not just the design you use, but how you construct it. I cannot show you the bridge because they all ended up destroyed at the end (that is how we found how much weight each could hold) but I will sketch it for you:

design1.jpg

You see, the triangles distribute the weight across the bridge so that no one support has to bear it all alone. Isn't that a nice idea? I think people work the same way, only instead of triangles, we have friends. Matsumoto-senpai was as pleased as I was, not because he likes building bridges (he is a warrior, not an engineer) but because he is my friend and he was happy because I was happy. It is like when I go to the competitions to see him fight. I cannot shout as some of the other girls do, but I wave and smile, and he can see I am there to support him.

Oh! That is the bell for lights-out! Please forgive me, Rui-sama, I did not have as much time to write today because Matsumoto-senpai and I went to Shimasetsu Hall to celebrate. Hansho-san made ikinari dango, which is my favorite! But because we spent so much time there, I returned to my room later than usual and of course I must finish my classwork first. I will try to come earlier tomorrow so that I will have more time to write to make up for it.

-- The kanji means "bridges," at least according to Google translate.
-- Bridge illustration is from The Toothpick Bridge . I tried to do my own, but I didn't like what I could manage, so I borrowed someone else's.
-- Ikinari dango

Users who are viewing this thread

Back