• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Tales from the Fifth City ( A Fallen London Roleplay)

This couldn't do if some stranger could notice that she was shaken. But even then, Lady Osthavula refused to let go of Frederick's hand. What gave it away? Wasn't it normal for lovers to hold hands? Or was it the statement towards Solveig? That was a sound observation, though. Was it her face? No, she was a fairly good actress and she wouldn't let it show in her expression. But it wouldn't matter now, something has to be sorted out.

"Pardon me, gentlemen. We shall rejoin you shortly. "

Then she vanished into the side alley with her companion, into the places where the streetlights barely reached. She turned a few corners just to make sure no one was following them until they came to an alley with all walls, only the bugs far from the ceiling were illuminating them. Then there was the Neath light, the darkness that was hard to penetrate through that veiled the couple in its abode.

A few moments were taken to make sure that no one was following now before the graceful lady released his hand --- she wondered if it felt sore already --- and buried herself into his chest with a firm embrace.

"More than ever I need your strength, Frederick. "

She felt his arms around her, holding her tightly. She felt herself resting on them, and sighed into his crimson bandages. Then she turned her face, allowing their cheek to brush against each other, and she whispered lowly into his ear. He still smells like zee today, a smell now became a comfort and a reminder of home.

"I need to stay strong, sweetheart. You know I've been strong, but it's not enough. Home feels so distanced... At this very moment, few things felt real but you. "

When it came to their relationship, Lady Osthavula must admit she hasn't opened up to the man completely. These words were not only sweet but hard to come by. The fear of, perhaps, the feebleness of London's romance slipped away, unearthing the genuineness. She had been distancing herself, all these times.

"Please, Frederick. Stay with me. This journey and then some. "

He did not reply. Instead, he held her shoulder to pull her even closer and let their lips meet. The night may be cold, and the lady may be somewhere above the darkness in the centre of the coldness. Now she was trembling in the lock of his arms, dizzied in her mind but waken with the new found warmth. It was only then she understood. Only then she stopped questioning.

The Bazaar watched, as it always does.

Reinol watched her leave, silently, pondering. His face scrunches up or form a tiny smirk before it morphs back knot his usual neutral expression.

'So the castle crumbles...'

Time. Waiting for it to pass. For the second to arrive when he must depart. Faces in mirrors. Mirrors in dreams.

Time. He once thought, was like a wheel. Yet the Fingerking told him it was like a fire. Cool at its heart. Wildest at its edges.

He never understood what they said. But as the Sentimental Writer leaned against the wall, waiting for the time to pass, he once again pondered their words.

It seems Lady Osthavula has a few demons of her own.

Not that he didn't of course. They all have secrets. We just wish we can leave them in the dark.

It took long, but the lady soon came back with her partner, hand in hand, everything on them tidy and with no signs of passion. Something had changed this time, though. A new flame now presence in her eyes, a new confident that no one thought had room to spare. They were holding hands, the lovebirds, but now casually and gently. Everything of them signified a new change, even with the man bandaged tightly under his suit seemed pleasantly different.

"He will come with us, a zee captain and a hunter. The best one if there ever was. " Said the lady with her eyes narrowed in smile. "As for my associate, her name is Solveig. We can look for her in Watchmaker's Hill, though I don't guarantee she will come. She has... A personal quest that few can distract her. It will not be in our urgency to look for her. She has no interest in investigating, and it will be better if we've done our part and brief it to her. "

The lady gracefully nodded to the minor devil. As she followed and pass Reinol, she did not look directly but whispered. "Thank you. "

He froze, for just a moment, then nodded. 'Right. Let's move.'

Hubert looked at Lady Ostha as strange noises gurgled inside his throat. Then he scampered off into the shadows once more. Reinol looked at a nearby apartment. 'Never liked climbing up there myself. Though I can't deny that the view is good.'

He takes out his Ratwork Derringer and fiddles with it for a second, before loading it and returning the weapon inside his coat. 'I don't know what we'll be finding up there nor do I know who but knowing Eleison, his hoodlum must've seen something terrible during their little quest. Enough to make them leave his service. A bad idea.'

Reinol stretched his neck before turning to her. 'I hope you're armed.'

"No need to worry. " Lady Ostha gestured for them to go first. The person with a dress shouldn't be on top of any ladder or stairs, or anything that requires climbing. As for weapon? The lady smirked subtly while she moved her wrists behind her, checking if they were stiff. Never did she equipped any good combat weapon, but she was born with ones that could be used.

Reinol nodded. 'That will do.' He looked up and knocked on the door of an apartment. Upon receiving no answer, he charged and pushed the door open. It led to an empty room filled with shattered aspirations.

'I'm don't like climbing all that much. We'll reach the highest floor and make our way o the Flit from there.'

The journey was quick. Within a few minutes, the party soon found tmesleves staring over the chimneyed rooftops of Fallen London. Reinol sighed, admiring the beauty, before speaking. 'Okay...Lady Ostha, where do you think we should go?'

Last edited:
While Reinol was admiring the beauty, lady Ostha was discussing with Frederick quietly about the locations they could see from here. It was the tomb colonist who did the most pointing, and the lady who did the most listening and nodding, and waving as if she was conducting a symphony. Only after that, she returned to face the writer, a little hesitant.

"First, I'll be honest. Flit is foreign ground to me. I had spent my limited time here in limited areas. It would be of a more familiar place to my partner here. Secondly, there are two ways with our limited knowledge. We can consult the Raggedy men, who kept watch in the Flit and noticed anyone, not of their league. Or we can consult the urchins of the place. We can do both, of course. I'd find my urchin boy to bring me some weasels... My weasels. " She smiled to the colonist who reacted. "There are more basic searches, but these are the two option that is the fastest. "

The Sentimental Writer nodded. 'Right. I'm not exactly the best at knowing the Flit either. Only came here to conduct a few errands.'

If the term 'errand' meant 'burglary' then it summed up his whole experience in this place. Other the view, he had no reason to come here, save for of course, a little affair regarding bats and cats.

Reinol turned to gaze at the Flit with an analytical eye. 'If we turn to the Raggedy Men, then we'll be needing bribes. Said bribes being rats. And I'm going by a hunch that tells me our little friend hasn't that taken care off.'

Hubert turned to look at him for a moment, before plunging a hand inside his coat. For a brief moment, it was unveiled, revealing a whole lot of stringed up rats, before it was quickly redacted.

'Unless you have anything to offer the Urchins, then we're heading there. Though if you have sufficient connections with them, it should be enough. I know I don't.' Reinol said. 'Never had time to invest in buying weasels.'

Hearing weasels, the lady and the tomb colonist chuckled together like some sort of inside jokes. Perhaps one day they will share it with the writer, but not yet. "Unfortunately I have not befriended the little ones too well. " said the graceful lady, "Let's ask the Raggedy Men then. We can always get weasels to ask the urchins later. "

The questioning and the search for the missing hoodlum took some time but they were finally there. The party stood infront of the door to a rather shanty rooftop shack. Hardly a good place for a hideout but amongst the dozens...

Reinol stood outside, his Derringer drawn. With a nod he knocked twice. The sound of a chair falling down and a startled gasp soon answered him. A second later and muffled warning echoed out. He sighed and kicked the door open, rushing inside.

The missing hoodlum stood there, her weapon drawn. At the sight of them, she backed away, nearly tripping over a pot of boiling rat. He scarred face widened with fear as she looked around for possibilities of escape.

'L-listen, I know why you're here. I implore, leave me alone. He's a madman. A madman you hear me! Refuse, run, hide, just leave me ALONE!'

She backed away slowly, waving a pistol around. 'I-I'm warning you.' Her bravery was lessened by he quivering of her lower lip and the gentle bead of sweat trailing down a battered forehead.

Behind was Lady Osthavula who slipped between Reinol and the doorframe, and positioned somewhere left of him and behind him. Somewhere she wouldn't obstruct him if Reinol was to pull out the gun. At that safe distance, she scanned the interior of the room, at the ceiling too low to jump, at the boiling pot of rat in the centre of the room. The window was open slightly to let the air circulate, but not nearly enough, with the fire she started for cooking. The air was even dirtier if it was possible.

"Do you mind explaining?" She said calmly. The tomb colonist joined beside her, his presence intimating with the room's size.

Her eyes dart to every person in the room, from the tomb colonist to the armed writer. 'He's a bloody Conjurer! Need I say anything else? The man consorts with what he should not. If you were there...if only you were there...'

The hoodlum backs away, a hitch in he steps. 'Gone....all gone now....'

Hubert appeared, climbing on the walls, above Reinol. The hoodlum screeched in fear. 'NO!' She fires her pistol at the Imp. The bullet sailed over Reinol's head and struck the wall nearby, sending splinters falling onto the discombobulated writer.

A kick and the pot falls down, sending the grim mix of water and rat spilling on the floor. The Sentimental Writer stepped back, more in surprise than fear.

The hoodlum yelled as she fired again, this time at Frederick. Her aim was true and the tomb colonist was struck in the chest. Reinol fired back, his aim impaired by the fast series of events.

A bullet shatters the window, another hits the wall. The hoodlum turned and jumped out, falling into a rope bridge, where she made her way acorss the Flit.

Lady Osthavula acted fast --- before and when the gun sounded, she dodged not away but towards the woman, easily evading the spilt rats soup, and was the first one to hop over the window, following the woman. It was hard to say what was guiding her, perhaps her head that focused on how the person should not get away. It went even before the emotion of being angry at the shot fired at Frederick, and before the hesitation of jumping down towards the bridge.

As for the tomb colonist, he roared with rage and not of pain. The bullet hit something metal, and it must feel less painful than a normal human would feel. But it would cause some pain and anger, and the dangerous man wouldn't let her go so easily. Firmly and surely and almost instinctively he snatched the gun away from Reinol's hand, and followed tightly after his lady. Sensing what was coming behind her with the shaking of the bridge, Ostha paused to dodge to one side, letting the hunter through. A wiser decision, since he was the better pursuer than her, having already caught up and passed her. A momentary pause, just enough for them to switch places, then she continued on.

Reinol sighed as looked at his empty hand before rushing over to jump out the window as well. He landed with an elegant roll, the Imp following shortly after.

It hopped over both Reinol and Ostha, snarling. The woman turned and saw the tomb colonist approaching, before she fired two shots blindly behind. One grazed his arm. The other flew past his bandaged head.

The hiodlum quickened her pace before Hubert jumped into her back, bashing her head. The hoodlum lost her balance and came crashing down on to the nearby roof top.

At the same time Hubert tackled the hoodlum, Frederick aimed and fired at her, the bullet penetrated her trousers and tore into her leg. Both him and Lady Ostha jumped onto the rooftop, but it was the lady who folded the hoodlum's arms, signalled Frederick to hold it firmly, before checking the wounds. She was still alive, a bit dazed with the knock. and barely reacted with the pain. Her left leg bled where the bullet buried deep, and her head bruised and skin flipped open by the friction with the roof's scales. Taking out her handkerchief, she wiped the blood that was seeping into her eyes and spoke to her in a low voice.

"Can you hear me?"

The hoodlum was breathing harshly but seemed a little conscious.

"I didn't wish to come to this. Remember, you fired the bullet first. You maybe have assumed our objective, but we have no intention of capturing you or to force you to continue your previous task. What I ask is clear information, and you will do better to give me the details instead of keeping it before I do what you don't wish us to do. Of course, it is unfortunate if you refuse to tell..."

The cold tip of the loaded gun kissed the back of her head. The lady smiled sympathetically.

Hubert hissed and pulled the tomb colonist's hand away from her. Dangerous he may be, the Imp was still a minor devil, used mainly for carrying out the more physical tasks. Still, he struggled to an extent but moved fast enough to avoid Frederick's natural instincts.

Reinol stopped next to them an pulled the gun out of the tomb colonist's hand with a scowl. He holstered it and turned to the Imp. 'It seems that our employer didn't trust us with certain bits of information.'

Hubert hissed at the woman and made motions to bind her hand. 'She's wanted alive apparently.'

Th woman looked up at them, dazed. 'What do you want....?

Both Frederick and Ostha looked at the Imp, hints of irritation in her eyes passed instantly. She had Frederick bound her arms already and had no intention of firing the gun. Of course, they still have the advantage. From her pocket, she took out a thin roll of bandages, tore and used a section to tie the wound on her head. "What the man did, what the man wants, and where is it, apparently. We were given minimal information, all we know is you, and he wanted something. So, do tell us, even if you wish to persuade us from it. You have one chance, dear, I don't imagine we'll meet again. "

The hoodlum looked at her before she spoke. 'An..an experiment...' She waved her hand up the at the roof. 'Looks so scary....they want it....don't know...'. Hubert kicked her in the gut. She winced before curling up in pain. Another blow to the head and she spoke no more.

Reinol's scowl deepens and he aimed at the Imp who hissed. 'So the little devil knows...' He looked at the rise and fall of the woman's chest. 'Alive. But unwell. A doctor would be best though I doubt he would want it.' He jerked his head at Hubert. 'It's best we take her to Eleison.'

Frederick was going to act, but lady Ostha pulled at his hand. "Help me here. " She said, and proceeded to patch up most of the wounds as she could. She didn't say more, when she positioned the hoodlum carefully with Frederick carrying her. And she only nodded to Reinol's talk. The smile was no more, though, in its place an unreadable expression.

Birth.
She repeated to herself. Birth. What could it be? Could be anything.

Hubert led the group to a small room atop a gambling den. Sebastien nodded as he saw them approach. 'Good. You were successful. That's at least one good thing to hear about....' He trails off. The door opens and Eleison stepped out.

His face was pale and waxy, with a slight distortion in his features. But his red eyes seemed as bright and menacing as ever. A thick black cloak was wrapped around his thin body. He gazed at the party with a look of curiosity and surprise. 'So you did it...pay them.'

The Suave Henchman nodded and retreated inside. When he returned, a sack of rostygold was tossed into each member. 'Consider this advance payment for your services.'

Eleison beckons them to bring the woman closer. 'So there's the little deserter...' A slight twinge of anger was in his voice.

"She seemed to be... Fearing something." Lady Ostha stepped closer to Frederick, they moved closer to Eleison but not close enough to reach. "She even sent a bullet in us..."

With a questioning gaze, she looked at the red-eyed playwright. With this much work, she deserved a little more explanation, right? So the lady hinted.

Eleison silently glowered at them. Damn traitor. She would pay...the wound on his wrist ached slightly. Dearly. Eleison sighed and looked at her, his veins on his neck visible under the pale skin.

'Call it an experiment of mine. I suppose I was lying to you when I mentioned it had nothing to do with the moon-misers. It does. And it also involves the Sorrow Spiders of Saviour's Rocks. And a few other things. A breeding project of sorts. Funded by the research of Hell. Along with secrets from the purloined research of the Starved Men. It escaped my hold on the way to London. Slaughtered most of my crew. I sent the hoodlums to capture it. Obviously, they panicked and failed.'

He pulled the cloak closer around him. There was no need to mention his other sponsors. Elesion turned around and pulled up the hood. 'Certain parties weren't happy with its escape. Naturally, I have been...reprimanded.'

The American turned back to her. Under the shadows of the hood his eyes glowed like pinpricks of red light. 'Find you hunter, Leave the girl here. Meet me on the southern edge of London.'

Lady Osthavula listened quietly when Eleison explained. Nodding, she took the unconscious body of the hoodlum and placed her on the ground, gently and grimly. Her hand caressed the bandaged forehead, and at one point it seemed she would have said something. In the end, she turns away, hooking onto Frederick's hand, and walked away from Eleison and his men. She seemed determined not to look back.

Eleison glowered at the woman. When the group was at enough, he leaned in and spoke. 'You have done a great offence to me. It cannot go unpunished. I know a spirifer. Your soul shall be your bill.'

He turned to Hubert who stayed behind. 'Come. There is work to be done. Make sure that business goes well Sebastien.' The Suave Henchman nodded and picked up the struggling hoodlum. She had long since woken.

Eleison sighed and walked away. There was much to do...

------------

A brisk walk to Watchmaker's Hill. Reinol dug out a small flask. 'So what can you tell me about this hunter of yours. Any peculiarities?'

Reinol looked around. 'I hope she's trustworthy.' He gazed at Ostha's face, an unasked question there. Are you all right?

She had done... A horrible thing to the hoodlum by leaving her to Eleison, really.

Lady Osthavula continued her long night of walking, arm locked with her lover Frederick. What would he had done, if not for her? She looked up to see his face. A well-covered bandaged face that was, and through the shape, she knew he did not like how the business had gone down. Perhaps sensing her gaze, or a reply to her movement, their arms locked a little tighter.

What he would have done... Could be what she would want, really.

He would have questioned more, confronted more. And she admired that, always has been. Even if at times they made different decisions.

It was noisy. Her mind was quite noisy.

Towards Reinol von Lorica's concerned gaze, the lady smiled faintly in an apologetic way. She didn't intend to ignore him, but it was undeniable that tonight she didn't quite pay attention to him. They did work together before. Was he supportive of Eleison's idea? The two were friends, said von Lorica before. She scanned him inquisitively, but nonintrusive. It was her instinct that told her this man acted more humane than his friend and perhaps had more care about the other people.

"Solveig had a person to find. All other wants were either denied or unexisting, so she would have no means to betray us. I had helped her and this she saw it as something to pay. Other people can't really buy her, not with money or honey or wine, nor with gamble nor promises of fame. Not with the promise of life eternal would she care in the slightest. All but one venture were distractions. "

Their shadows danced as they walk passed the congregation of street lamps.

"Other than that, Solveig was a hunter. A good hunter with more than sufficient experience but not any effort of mingling with other hunters, so not even her colleagues had known her too much. Unlike me, she wasn't interest in many things and often times she wouldn't ask excessive questions. I do think she has a nobler moral, though. "

She didn't explain how she got the conclusion. Now passing the Walkstack Docks, the smell of both the zee and marshes grew strong, and rats scurried passed their feet.

"Speaking of... Well, related matter. What is your thought on our task? Of what your friend told us? Were you aware of it? Do tell me honestly, I don't intend to judge or react. It is pure curiosity. "

It was probably the first time tonight she questioned his opinion. She didn't need it like she said.

It was only a matter of curiosity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back