Super Powerful PC's

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
What do you guys do when you're players are just too damn powerful? I hate when that happens because it gets super difficult to run a game.

I've never had characters become "too powerful". As the ST, I can adjust the powerlevel of my game infinitely. I don't see how it could ever become a problem.

-S

It's all about numbers...just raise yours accordingly.

If they can talk a prince into selling his kingdom, fine.  Give them a harder prince next time.  If they can kill a 2nd circle demon by looking annoyed, fine, give them a harder demon.  It's all numbers.

There's also a matter of switching things up a bit.

Yes, the PC's are ultra-powerful machines of orichalcum death on a stick, but can they administrate an empire?  Can they mete out justice, not just revenge?  Great, they can tear down entire mountains, but is that going to get the crops in on time, save a starving people, or keep a dam from bursting?

They have acrued wealth, power, and fame--but now can they walk on the streets without being mobbed?  Can you make their own success a challenge of itself?  

Actions have consequences.  Bringing past actions back to roost in their barns is a good way to keep PC's involved.

Nine Jaguar was but a tot when the PC's rolled into his village, and they killed the headman who had captured their friends--his father but a simple Extra lost in the fray.  But now, Nine Jaguar has come into his own--either as an Abyssal, a God Blood, or even as an Exalt of another sort--and he's been stalking the characters, looking to exact his revenge on the folks who killed his pa.  Cue the guitar and whistle music and give Nine Jaguar a poncho while you're at it.  

The kicker is that Nine Jaguar is the protector of that town, and is closely allied with several folks who the PC's want to do some business with.  And let's note that Nine Jaguar is a fairly decent fella, who protects the innocent and does his share of good deeds.  He just has a hate on for the folks who slew his poor father.  

Nine Jaguar knows that attacking the PC's head on is suicide.  He's not a dumb bastard, so instead he goes about striking at their loved ones, their treasury, their nation, whatever they hold dear.  Maybe he doesn't kill the folks, but he certainly snatches them, and fills their heads with his version of the truth, maybe even getting some of the PC's own allies to turn on them.  He bollixes up trade negotiations, or even gets allies to abandon them on the eve of a great battle.

You get an interesting tale, that doesn't hinge on straight up combat, but a mystery, and one that can't be just solved by picking up a rock and invoking a Spirit or some magical effect to make the plot point come out.  You make the tale the thing, and the PC's own actions, and their effects the center of attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back