Suggestions for Theme Anime?

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
I was just wondering what shows (real life and/or anime) you guys watch to get in the story mood or while your writing up a story. I know the main book and a few others have suggestions, but i figured everyone has their few faves. I'd also like to know some that are good to show players, so that they might understand what the theme/feeling/idea behind the game is. I'm going broad here... not tailor for personal ideas, just Exalted in general.

So far i've figured:

Ninja Scroll

Ninja Resurrection

DBZ (kinda off target but to give an idea about banners & peripheal essence)

Thanks,

Inyusha, Naruto, Hero, Hudsen Hawk, King of Hell, Jing King of bandits, Fushi yui, Dragon Hunter, Bleach, Angel Scauntary, Sorcerer Hunters, Mortal Kombat, Dynsty Warriors, Lord of the Rings

all that to name a few sources i turn to :twisted:

I had figured Hero, Crouching, House of Flying Daggers etc.  But thanks for the list. I may pick a few up while i'm working on a story.

Thanks,

forgot, Samuri Deeper Kyo... you want a confusing as hell plot with some bad ass fights... this is were its at... the Magna though mucho better

I'v eonly watched a limited amount of anime, but most of what I've seen has been inspiring.

Princess Mononoke: An infernally tainted Solar (Eclipse?) and his Lunar ally fight alongside a host of Little Gods against a DB Noble and a crooked Immaculate priest.

Spirited Away: A young girl accidentally wanders into the Carnival of Meeting and gets trapped in Yu-Shan.

Berserk: A Dawn Caste with an unattuned daiklave kills thousands of extras, then he and his friends get ganked hard by the Yozi.

-S

Not so much a show, but the video's from the various Legacy of Kain/Sould Reaver games always get me in the mood to game. You can see them all pretty much on demand if you beat the last game.

Storm Riders--with Sonny Chiba.  Great wuxia flicktoon.  Fire Monkeys. Red Monks.  A guy named Cloud, and his pal Thunder.  A scene with a couple of hundred swords flashing from one single blade. What's not to love.

Zu--Warriors of the Magic Mountain--Tsui Hark directing Sammo Hung and Baio Yuen.  So much tastiness, so little time.

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas--Seriously, one of the best animated movies to date that get the feel of Exalted Stunts, and fun as all get out swashbuckling action.

Equilibrium--for stunts.

Rome--If you want to run a Dragon Blooded campaign, or something with Heroic Mortals in the Realm this is a MUST see.  Even if you don't want to run anything in the Realm, it's a must see, just to watch something so perfectly laid out, pacing wise. Story wise. It's one of the best written series to come out for a long while, and watching this series should give an ST LOTS of creative urges.

Farscape--Not so much for Exalted-ness, as much as creative approaches for new stories, introducing characters, and how to set up a unique setting and world.  The devil is in the details.

Dang near anything that Joss Whedon has written.  The man knows how to put plot lines together.  In Angel he did a bang up job.  Firefly was masterful for getting good stories out.  You don't have to take anything from any of these plots for yourself, but use it as inspiration on breaking out of the ordinary plot lines.

Might I also humbly suggest Samurai Champloo and Samurai Gun for their over-the-top action and sometimes brutal violence that just makes you sit back and say...

'Huh....so that's what it looks like when someone's on the receiving end of Excellent Strike' or, more simply, "Ow".

In my opinion, both anime are wonderful in their own rights but the action really makes them useful fodder for stunts and the like, especially Champloo.

You can find relevant bits in almost any show that has lots of action or fantasy in it. The chateau scene in Matrix Reloaded always gets me in the mood. Even something like Yu-gi-oh has things that can be relevant- I took the Winged Dragon of Ra out of there and turned it into a giant magic robot. Never really finished that idea, but that's the kind of inspiration you can find lying about.

Hmmm... as for me?

Everything I watch and read gets used in some way in my Exalted stuff... be it anime, manga, movies, tv shows, novels and what have you... it gets mixed in... just because I can.   :D

Bleach is about as Exalted as it comes.  It has Hungry Ghosts, a corrupt Heaven filled with uber crazy powerful Exalts, a lone hero facing off with ridiculous odds for no other reason than because he is a good guy...hell, not to spoil anything, but the whole "Shikai" and "Bankai" sword forms just plain scream custom Sidereal MA styles.

Vision of Escaflowne for the original Warstriders if you plan on using them in your campaign at all.  Also, look for the badass with the grand daiklave in the second or third episode that takes on the Warstriders with just his sword.

Shadow Skill is kinda old school but it has a very Exalted feel to it.  Warriors use ritual phrases to unlock their inner strength and beat the tar out of small armies and each other.

Saint Seiya is even older (before Ronin Warriors but by the same guys) but all of the Saint warriors look and act like Exalted.  Their armor is definitely the best part.  Even just a few screenshots of the Saint warriors would be pure gold for visual Exalted inspiration.  For that matter, Ronin Warriors would be good as well.  That is, assuming you can hack the corniness of the plot and dialogue...

Twelve Kingdoms has a "magical land" feel to it.  It's a pretty entertaining take on the "girl gets taken to another world where there's magic and she gets special powers" sub-genre.  It adds a lot of politics to the standard formula, which is also useful for Exalted.

And I second Bleach, Naruto, and Berserk.

I think Rurouni Kenshin is good for feel if you're doing a combat-heavy adventure.

And if we're including games in this, Samurai Legend Musashi for the PS2, while not the best written (So far as I've p ayed it, it seems you have to carry nearly every damn girl you meet), has a great look and feel to it that has inspired me in regards to swordsmanship in Exalted- especially the techniqus, and the way enemies die.

Aah yes, I wholeheartedly agree with those who've said Bleach; 'tis perfect. And very good even if not looked at exclusively for inspiration. Naruto also has plenty of cool stuff to steal, and Hellsing has some cool scenes (but don't watch it for enjoyment... it ends like a dead duck, to say the least).

Other than that, I sadly haven't seen terribly many relevant animé. Sweden is quite dead on such stuff. Well... Neon Genesis Evangelion. Won't give you much Exalted- themed material, but it is damn good.

...It feels like I've forgot something.... Wiat... Oh, yeah :oops:  ...

*A Pathetic First Post Dance*

...I feel silly.

riven5 said:
Bread

You'll understand when you watch it.  Especially if you like good breads.
... I'm sorry what? There's an anime called 'Bread'? That wouldn't be Yakitate Japan?

riven5 said:
Bleach is about as Exalted as it comes.  It has Hungry Ghosts, a corrupt Heaven filled with uber crazy powerful Exalts, a lone hero facing off with ridiculous odds for no other reason than because he is a good guy...hell, not to spoil anything, but the whole "Shikai" and "Bankai" sword forms just plain scream custom Sidereal MA styles.
I always wanted a Daiklave in the style of Zabimaru (Renji's sword... the one that divides into a whip-like weapon).

Also, the scene when Ichigo faces off with Zaraki Kenpachi and he releases his Reiatsu just *screams* Anima Banner... :-P.

Plenty of anime coolness already mentioned in this thread. Dunno what I could possibly add...

Yakitatke Japan, correct.  Gotta love the "Solar Hands".

And yeah, a daiklaive mimiking Renji's Shikai would be flipping awesome.  Similarly, some Bankai's actually seem to be very much akin to anima banners...except they actually fight on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back