Story Suggestions for Neutral Characters?

AlbaGuBrath

"Scotland Forever"
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but it seems to be the most logical place.

So, I have an idea for a story and would like to do something a little bit different with my protagonists and antagonists, but I'm not entirely sure how to make it work. Basically, I want to have two groups called the Ionith (protagonists) and Mythra (antagonists), and instead of the main conflict being between good and evil, I'd like for it to be between order and chaos. However, the Mythra are the lawful good group and the Ionith are chaotic, which is a little unusual in my experience. Now, with the story being from the Ionith perspective, the Mythra are seen as very evil, but I'd also like to show the readers that they're not really. At least, not entirely. Where I'm running into some issues in this case is that I'm seeing the Mythra as employing a sort of law enforcement inspired by the Thought Police from 1984 and I'm finding it difficult to describe them in a way that doesn't seem good/evil or that doesn't bring up images of the Gestapo or such.

So, basically, I'm asking if any of y'all would have some suggestions on how to portray opposing groups (and, actually, most members of this society in general) without true good or evil, and how to show a chaotic group struggling against an orderly one. I like the strange sort of feeling that gives because I do want these characters to seem very alien, but I'm also really not sure how to write it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back