• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern  ◞✩ 𝘴𝘶𝘨𝘢𝘳 𝘱𝘭𝘶𝘮𝘴

cwosont

Supporter
Roleplay Availability

sugar plums

make my wish come true ♡

• h

all i want for christmas

mariah carey

the scene

Christmas Eve, 2023

The holidays are here, and so are the last minute shoppers. Malls across the country are filled the brim forgetful partners, cousins, uncles, every type of person you can imagine. All running around in hopes of getting in and out before the doors close.

Unfortunately for the shoppers of Westfield Mall in inland Maine, there will be no getting out of the mall anytime soon. A heavy blizzard has swept through the city and has locked all shoppers inside for the foreseeable future. It is recommended for everyone to buckle down and hang tight, because it is going to be a long night of Mariah Carey's Christmas hits.

♡coded by uxie♡

scroll

shopper

charles.

mood

uneasy

outfit

westfield mall

interactions

tags

tags here

Standing in the middle of a store selling infant's clothing, Charles strained to hear the crackling voice which had interrupted Miss Carey's infamous holiday jingles. It was difficult to understand the woman speaking. Blizzard. Something about inches of snow. And then locked in for the foreseeable future. Charles blinked in confusion and turned to look around at the other customers lingering around him. Had he heard that right?

Charles had, in fact, heard the woman correctly. A mixture of shock and horror registered in the faces surrounding him. He felt his stomach churn uncomfortably. Surely this wasn't actually happening, right? This was just a ridiculous prank to mess with all the selfish shoppers still at the mall on Christmas Eve. His grandchild was going to be born by morning, he couldn't afford to be stuck here. He couldn't mess things up with his son again.

He set the onesie he was holding down and stepped out of the store to make a call. No signal. Charles cursed under his breath and wrote a text to his son. With some hope and a little bit of luck, holding up his phone above his head would do the trick.

Pacing around as he waited, Charles turned to see a blonde someone exhale a sweet smoke into the air. He faltered.
"Are you..."
He hesitated, attempting to remember what it was called.
"Vaping? In the mall..."

♡coded by uxie♡

MOOD: seriously?

OUTFIT: think cozy

basics
MENTIONS: N/A

INT: N/A

tags
TL;DRJan desperately needs to find the perfect wedding guest outfit.
tl;dr
january
do you wanna do nothin' with me?

It had been a few years since January was in school. Having graduated University when she was twenty-three, and now she neared her twenty-seventh birthday, she hadn't been a student in four years. At first it was hard to adjust to post-graduation life, going from being around her friends every day and having every bit of her life dictated to seeing barely any of her friends from month to month and having a much more open-ended schedule. With Jan's life of being a musician, there was nothing in the way of a 9-5 office job.

Yep, Jan's a musician! In fact, for most of her schooling life, she's attended fine arts schooling. Her Junior year of high school, she transferred out of public school over to a fine arts school. Then for college, Jan went out of a limb and applied for a prestigious fine arts university and was actually accepted! It was there where she felt she was making life-long friends and finally stepping into her own. Even at graduation, she and her friends all believed they would keep in touch forever and ever.

Then they all moved away. Jan moved from Arizona to Washington and then to Maine. She felt so far away from her entire support system, but that proved to work in her favor of her music. With her friends and family so far away, the music never seemed to stop flowing out of her. While in school, Jan released four albums, and now she was trying for her fifth one.

Jan had come a long way, as a person, since she started on her music journey. Back in high school she was freshly dumped and essentially told she was worthless. She carried that insecurity with her through the rest of high school and all the drama it entailed, and even through her college days, she struggled to like who she was and trust her skills as a songwriter. And while she was currently a completely different person, being able to become comfortable with herself, she still carried that bit of insecurity with her throughout her life. Jan felt she had to appear as God's gift to music in order to prove she was doing something worth-wile after college.

What brought on those feelings? A high school friend had sent her an invitation for her wedding, and Jan may or may not have begun freaking out. The wedding wasn't until Feburary, but the thought of being around all these people who last saw her at her lowest point? It was enough to undo the effects of her anti-anxiety medications. Not only would she be around a bunch of her high school friends, but the best man at the wedding was her high school ex; the one who dumped her over text.

Unfortunately, Jan was all too familiar with the feeling of needing to show up your high school classmates. Jan had never proven to be vengeful in anything she did, but this would be her small taste of revenge. She had to go out to the mall and search for the perfect wedding guest dress. On a certain December day, Jan had nothing better to do and decided now was the time to go down and spend her day looking everywhere for the drop-dead most perfect outfit ensemble to show up each and every one of her high school classmates.

She had been to this mall many times; It wasn't as familiar as the one she had at home in Arizona, but she knew her way around. She had befriended a few of the servers at the soft-pretzel counter, as she could never meander around the mall without some soft-pretzel bits and their classic cheese dip. But this time, Jan knew she had to wait until after she found the outfit before rewarding herself.

Time had passed by at a rate that Jan was not paying attention to. The windows throughout the mall, that once showed a good amount of sunlight for cold and stormy Maine, had slowly dimmed to almost being completely black. Over the PA system, a woman's static-y voice cut through the mumbles of the ongoing shoppers. Jan immediately perked up and listened to her words as she paused at a dress rack. She said something about how the mall was officially on lockdown until further notice due to the blizzard calmed down.

Well that kinda sucks. I was wanting to go home and sip on some hot chocolate this evening...

code by valen t.

"Excuse me?"
Emily whispered furiously, heated gaze fixed directly on the scratchy announcement box that had just sucker-punched her plans right in the teeth.

Exhaling an angry breath through her nose, she placed the dress she had been inspecting back onto the sales rack with a gratuitous rattle.

Emily Williams hated Christmas. She was a self-proclaimed grinch, and her current predicament felt like the universe saying yes, see, Christmas is a terrible, terrible time for all. It didn't help that she had no one else to spend it with. She was still new to the area and greatly questioning her plan of starting the new second hand bookstore in a new city so close to the holidays.

She granted herself a second to stand up straight, close her eyes, and take a deep breath.

Feeling her anger unspool into a more manageable level of annoyance, she cast her gaze around the store to see how everyone else took the news. Her eyes caught onto that of the shopper standing on the opposite side of the dress rack and Emily smiled in what she hoped would come across as sympathetic, in a "wow this sucks doesn't it" way instead of "I just wanted to go home to my cats, drink an ungodly amount of hot chocolate and fall asleep in a sugary daze with my current read". She wasn't sure how effective she was, though.

2nd hand bookstore manager

emily.

♡coded by uxie♡

Edith Park

Manager of Sephora

What greater joy was there than working on Christmas Eve? The faces of all the hurried moms, forgetful boyfriends, and giddy children reminded Edith of the good old days when she was in front of the counter buying her mother a new purse or eye shadow kit.

Now however, she was among the retail workers counting down the minutes until they could close shop. As store manager she could technically let everyone off early but most of them needed their hours (her included).

That didn't mean they needed to put in any effort though.

Everyone had been taking turns running the counter, taking on the clock lunches, naps in the back, and smaller breaks whenever necessary. If a customer whined for help, Edith would usually take care of it, but she'd done her service. Not that it mattered much considering the fact that everyone was snowed in.

"Are you...Vaping? In the mall..."

Taking another hit of her vape, Edith blew two strawberry-scented rings into the air before taking note of the brunette man chiding her. He was a fair bit older than her and someone who clearly, never worked a retail gig.

"I'm on my break and it's cold as shit outside," she shrugged before inhaling the mixture of nicotine and artificial sweetener, "so unless you have a way of changing the weather, I'll continue my smoke break."

weather

cold as shit

time of day

17:00

westfield Mall

tags

♡coded by uxie♡

i gave you my heart . .

FRUITS OF YOUR LABOR. The saying is really starting to make sense to him. The overworked hours, underpaid shifts, having to put up with Renee, the store's manager─who doesn't actually care about her role in the workplace─ are his labors. The fruit was the store's display window looking this good. He thinks that analogy is right, Lev was never really a poetic literature type.

But essentially, he did well. He had to uphold the reputation of Abercrombie's Christmas display and do Renee's job as manager. I mean seriously, how did he get assistant manager and her manager?

The front window had been transformed into an image of a winter night. A mirrorball hung in the middle of the store and sheer fabric decorated the ceiling. The sight of delighted patrons enjoying themselves made him happy. Renee had stressed that Lev needed to ensure that everything was perfect. That was what a lot of their recent conversations had been about, to be honest. He tries not to feel hurt by that fact.

For Lev, this night isn't some amazing winter dream, it's a nightmare. On top of all the crazy college problems he had found himself thrown into, he had exhausted himself coordinating on what was supposed to be a day off. Hell, he had come early to set up the front window and was the first one there before the store even opened for last minute shoppers.

He had learned to grin and bear it. He didn't have any plans for the holidays, anyway. Not anymore. Delia had had stopped talking to him a few weeks prior, something something blatant disregard for other's feelings something something. Not to mention, as soon as his shift ended he would be forced to remember the college problems he'd been dealing with for weeks. Was it bad that he craved the college movie experience?

No, he's okay. These things don't matter, if patrons are happy, he's happy. Plus, Renee has proved to be good for something because she passed him a flask to take a gulp from a while earlier.

"You hanging in there, Woolridge? You look stressed," Renee appeared by his side as he looked out at the display floor.

He would have said it was because of her, but he's learned to bite his tongue. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. From beneath folded arms, Renee dipped into depths of her knitted coat. The glint of a metal flask passed from her hands to his. Renee had always been a terrible manager and shift lead, but she was always trustworthy in practically every other avenue.

He took a swift swig from the flask and glanced over at her, clearing his throat as he returned the flask to her hand.
“Thanks."

He lets the time tick by, toying with the confetti splayed across the front counter. The small bit of alcohol in his system makes him feel only a tiny bit less bad. He wishes she could be out there, shopping for loved ones, rushing to get home to someone. But there's not really anyone that comes to mind when he thinks of it.

Maybe it's his alcohol-tainted brain but what happens next moves in flashes. A woman approached him at the front register, slamming down a stack of hangers and clothes with an annoyed huff. "Can you do returns, or what?" His lips parted, but no words came to mind. Instead, the intercom above his head crackled to life, cutting through the kitschy Christmas music Lev had learned to drown out. His eyes widened into saucers, staring back at the women as the words registered like a deer in headlights. The last thing he needed was to spend the night sleeping in the break room.

Panic erupted throughout the store, voices talking above the sound of music, which had resumed shortly after the sudden announcement. Lev glanced over at his shoulder at Renee, who pulled a walkie talkie from her belt. He watched her fiddle with the antennae, get frustrated, and glance up to meet his gaze.

"Lev, can you do me a favor, and find security? This piece of shit isn't working."

“With pleasure."

last christmas

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

scroll

shopper

charles.

mood

uneasy

outfit

westfield mall

interactions

edith, santa

Charles blinked in surprise as the woman took another hit. The scent of strawberry was pungent, but not entirely unpleasant. "I'm on my break and it's cold as shit outside," she shrugged. "So unless you have a way of changing the weather, I'll continue my smoke break."

"Sir, at my age, you learn to let the little fights go."

He turned and nearly jumped at the sight of a jolly looking man in a bright red suit. Santa Claus standing right in front of him had Charles wondering if the vape was actually a hallucinogenic. He quickly reminded himself that he was in a mall and it wasn't at all uncommon to see a Santa wandering about.

"Right, my apologies. I didn't mean to sound like I had a problem with it."
Charles smiled apologetically.
"I was more startled than anything, I think."
He chuckled and offered his hand for the older man to shake.
"Let me introduce myself, since it seems we'll be stuck in here for a bit. Charles Harrington."
He nodded politely in the woman's direction.

"I suppose 'happy holidays' are also in order. Although, I'm not sure how long the joy will last during this blizzard."

♡coded by uxie♡

”Last Christmas, I gave you my heart…”
Clementine couldn’t help but quietly sing along with the music playing softly through the speakers—it was George Michael, after all, and she had that man to thank for the masterpiece that was Careless Whisper. If anything, the song was a welcome reprieve from the nonstop Mariah Carey songs that had tormented her since last month, but she knew many people didn’t view it as positively, judging from the faces around her that held expressions ranging from mildly annoyed to seconds away from suffering from a pop song-induced heart attack.

Clementine didn’t really get it—she didn’t feel any specific way towards Christmas songs or the holiday itself for that manner. She vaguely remembers a childhood where she’d stay up until exactly 12:01 on Christmas morning, running to her parents’ room and eagerly telling them that it’s technically Christmas and can we please open our presents now?, but that excitement was a thing of the past.

She’d guess that it died somewhere around puberty, on an otherwise unremarkable night where she stumbled upon the bills her parents had been so careful to hide from her and her sister. She saw the bright red letters stamped OVERDUE and it was like the fairy dust had worn off, introducing her to a world full of bills and mortgage payments. After that, it had been impossible to miss the dark circles beneath their eyes and the hushed whispers that ceased whenever her or her sister entered the room, something along the lines of how are we going to afford this and you’re going to have to apply for another job.

That Christmas, she told them not to get her a gift.

That’s the way it’s been since she was twelve—and though it may sound sad to some, she’s perfectly fine with it. Christmas has never been in the budget for her, and though she knows it’s irrational, a part of her feels anger at her child self for being so selfish, for not realizing sooner that while she begged and pleaded with her parents for music lessons and a $300 guitar, they were struggling to scrape together enough money to make it to next week. And yet, somehow, she had gotten her music lessons and her $300 guitar. Which is why she’d never, ever stop trying to repay them, even if it meant working a minimum-wage retail job on Christmas Eve.

Clementine sighed—she was not going to let herself spiral even further. She turned to Quinn, her coworker with shock purple hair and so many piercings she might as well be a pincushion, and said,
“I’m gonna take a smoke break. Be back in fifteen minutes.”

music store employee

clem.

♡coded by uxie♡

Edith Park

Manager of Sephora

Oh of course he would be here. A smile tugged at her lips as Westfield's resident Santa Claus interjected in her and the Brit's exchange. With flush cheeks and a belly full of both sugar and joy, he was the shining example of what someone expected out of a mall Santa (surpassing Tim Allen by a country mile).

As grumpy as she could be while working the holidays, Herschel never failed to lift her spirits. Her expression softened in the face of the other man's expression, returning his nod with one of her own.

"No worries, I think the cold is getting to all of us," she sighed, "I'm Edith. If we're lucky the blizzard'll subside before the generators run out of power."

But God knows the last time anyone's checked on those things. Having dealt with her fair share of issues in her store, Edith had a general idea of how often maintenance was performed at the mall...which was to say never if those cheap bastards could help it. Despite the glamorous coating, the building itself was old (closer to Herschel's age than either her or Charles) and it was a miracle that outages didn't happen more often.

"So what's your story?" Edith asked, smoke billowing from her nostrils, "grabbing gifts for your family across the pond?"

weather

cold as shit

time of day

17:00

westfield Mall

♡coded by uxie♡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back