• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Suburban Fantasy (Toaster Muffins x Dawnster)

usagi froggy

Rhythm Heaven Enjoyer
Danielle sat silently in the back of her aunt's minivan, staring out the window, rain slowly falling down. It all seemed so cliche to her, the weather matching up with the way she felt. Her father had just been killed by an assassin who was still at large, and she and her older brother were sent away to somewhere small and discreet so they wouldn't be next. She felt like the plan was stupid, but Alex was quick to remind her that their mother had used magic to keep their location unknown to anyone who might be pursuing them, at least until they reached their destination. How it all worked was beyond her, but she thought that they could've come up with a better solution.

As they reached a stop light, Danielle sighed and looked over at Alex, who seemed to be lost in thought himself. Sure, they had already been on a 12 hour long flight, but the death of a family member was a lot to process. "How much longer do you think this drive will be?" she asked. While the airport was in the middle of a big city, they were actually moving to a small, suburban town a while away. Their aunt was a human and after hearing about the death of their father, conveniently not knowing about the assassination part, she was more than happy to take them until their mother could "get back on her feet."

( Dawnster Dawnster I'll think of a better title later)

While the minivan drove on through the rain, Alexander read the small book he had brought with him. The thing was, he hadn't turned the page in a while. He couldn't get himself to focus, and kept reading the same line over and over again. This cycle probably would have kept going for a while, had Danielle not said something to him. Alex shook his head to try and clear his thoughts. "It can't be much longer. We've been in the car for a while now." He put the book down and glanced briefly at the driving aunt before leaning forward to whisper quietly in her ear. "Just hold on and then we can talk when we have more privacy." He assured her. Since recent events had happened rather unexpectedly, they hadn't had any time away from human eyes. Alex wasn't sure about Danielle but it was starting to take it's toll on him and his patience. "Excuse me, but do you know when we'll be there?"

( usagi froggy usagi froggy Eh no worries. Let me know if the whole colored text thing bothers you.)

Aunt June was sitting in the front seat, bopping her head to whatever song was playing on the Top 40's station, waiting for the light to turn green. She had been totally focused on the road, not paying attention to the kids who sat in the back.

Danielle looked over at Alex, expecting a response from their aunt, but getting none. She decided to pipe up, "Excuse me? Aunt June?"

Hearing her name quickly took June out of her zone, turning around to answer her niece, "Oh, yes, sweetie? What is it?"

"My brother was just wondering when we would reach your house?"

"Umm, looks like we've got about another hour and a half. Is that okay with you guys? I could stop for some snacks, if you want?"

"That won't be necessary..." she said, looking over at her brother and shaking her head.

"An hour and a half?" Alex groaned quietly as Aunt June turned back to the wheel. At the very least she seemed far to preoccupied by the road and the music playing from the radio to listen in on their conversation. Worst case scenario, he'd convince her otherwise. Not really knowing how to start the conversation he sighed. "I know things are pretty bad right now. On the bright side though, no one knows we're here. We can take our time to regroup before returning and taking back the throne." He pointed out. "Maybe some quietness is what we need. A small town could be nice."

Aunt June chuckled, "Sorry, kiddo. Don't worry, it'll pass by in no time." She turned back around, focusing back on the road, oblivious to any conversation between the two siblings.

Danielle shook her head. A small town was the last thing she wanted right now. She had no idea what was going on back home. "Really, Alex? All of our family could be dying right now, and you think we need some piece and quiet?" She realized she had gotten a bit loud and looked to make sure Aunt June hadn't noticed.

Aunt June was bopping to Taylor Swift and had missed every word. Again.

"Look, I don't really want to be here either. But we don't really have much of a choice right now. I'm doing my best to stay calm because I can't freak out right now. Neither can you. If we blow this thing with our aunt then we're really stuck." Alex muttered, and eye on Aunt June as well. The last thing they needed was for Aunt June to know what was really going on. There was a chance she would call the police, and that wasn't something they needed.

Danielle was silent. She knew her brother was right, but she wished he wasn't. She hated feeling powerless, like there was nothing she could do about anything. She sighed, "You're right. We're doing what we can right now, which is staying hidden. If we get killed then it's over for the vampires."

Alex nodded in agreement, knowing how terrible the situation made her feel. It was pretty mutual. "It isn't a permanent plan. It'll work out." He said, going silent for a while before speaking again. "I wish she would shut that music off though." He said irritably, though his irritation wasn't really with Aunt June, but more about the situation they were in. But the music was pretty bad.

Danielle didn't have much to say after that, turning her focus to the windows. They were passing by large swaths of green field, with almost nothing in them, save for a few cows and horses here and there. She could tell that their new home was nothing like their old one.

"Who even enjoys this kind of music? It's awful," she said back, glad to be having a conversation that didn't have to do with the tense situations happening in their lives.

Up ahead the scenery changed to show the tops of houses and buildings. The town wasn't ridiculously small, but it definitely wasn't large by any standards. "Looks like we're here!" Aunt June said cheerfully, finally turning down that god-aweful music. "Aren't you kids excited?"

Alexander glanced briefly at Danielle before plastering a smile on his face. "Yes we're ecstatic." He said, grabbing his bag from his side of the seat as they pulled up to a nicely sized blue house that looked and smelled freshly painted. A small dog was tied up in the front of the yard. Alex despised small dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back