• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Digital Stuff from Quarkie

Quark

Fundamental Particle
Seeing the state of my previous art thread.... and so probably time to make a new one...//time to start fresh o/

Constructive criticisms are welcome, since I hope to improve!

I've been taking art seriously for about a year and a half now. But having not taken any art classes in high school makes me not knowing what I'm doing a lot of the time :'D. So all feedback and suggestions are very welcome.

For testing a new brush I decided to redraw something from last year. Both feature my OC Blanche (though sometimes I refer to her as Akira)

You would think that after a year I would struggle less with lines and invest in new characters, but I guess not. :'D

left - Akira/Blanche 2016
right - Akira/Blanche 2017 [rough sketch]

b810eab15c.jpg
tumblr_orou3zYWnA1wrjg3qo1_r2_540.jpg

Finally finished exams, yay! And back to sketching OCs again. I decided to try and test out the effect layers in Clip Studio paint.

... And I'm just going to ignore the hair physics and pretend they both used too much hair gel... ^^;;
Aeron & Blanche - rough sketch
tumblr_os3l0z3jQY1wrjg3qo1_r1_540.jpg

tumblr_os3l0z3jQY1wrjg3qo2_r1_540.jpg

Last edited:
Props to you if you know which fanart this is from.
This is Luki from DOGS: Bullets & Carnage, a Biopunk thriller manga series. One of the cute twin kids that love having fun. Oh and also they carry a weapon for homicide. OuO

Luki - DOGS:Bullets & Carnage

tumblr_osiu7mVtzT1wrjg3qo1_1280.jpg

"Draw the friggin' background you coward."

I guess I should practice more.. and colouring as well. It wasn't exactly as I imagined, but I do feel better that it's less stressful doing backgrounds :'D

tumblr_ot3cyxvGcw1wrjg3qo1_1280.jpg

I love the dystopian image, but don't feel pressured to draw a background! Character conceptions dont have to have backgrounds, but they help improve/tell a story for your character! I work as a concept artist for a gaming company(that shall remain nameless) and I find most character sketches are amazing on their own without a background. Just giving a simple gradient or shadow drop is really all you need to get a point across. Focus on your character, they're the star!

One way to really give your characters some oomph is to give them an action/motion to perform in their image. It gives a great sense of personality without needing any background or props. Are they adventurous? Give them a running motion! How about brooding? Give them a little dismissive gesture to some unknown victim on the receiving end of their sass! Its really fun and is helpful for practicing expressions and varying poses.

I love the dystopian image, but don't feel pressured to draw a background! Character conceptions dont have to have backgrounds, but they help improve/tell a story for your character! I work as a concept artist for a gaming company(that shall remain nameless) and I find most character sketches are amazing on their own without a background. Just giving a simple gradient or shadow drop is really all you need to get a point across. Focus on your character, they're the star!

One way to really give your characters some oomph is to give them an action/motion to perform in their image. It gives a great sense of personality without needing any background or props. Are they adventurous? Give them a running motion! How about brooding? Give them a little dismissive gesture to some unknown victim on the receiving end of their sass! Its really fun and is helpful for practicing expressions and varying poses.
Ah, sorry for the late reply! Thanks for your suggestion. I do notice that expressions is something definitely worth practicing more, so I'll be sure to practice more on gestures and stuff when I get to characterization.

And my mistake for not labelling the art :'D. That actually was a fanart for yugioh Arc-V, where I had a particular scene in mind.

I love your shading technique. Question, what brushes do you use in Clip Studio?
Again, sorry for the late replies >_<

And yay, another CSP user. When I use Clip Studio I tend to use either the opaque watercolour or the dense brush. In terms of the density of the brush strokes, it just varies, depending on how much I want it to blend, but I generally use about 70-100.
For the one with the girl with the bunny ear hat (Luki), I used transparent watercolour though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back