• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Story of two NPC's

Leran

Wholesome, friendly Adventures wanted
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
It was the first somewhat warm night of the year. The last winter full moon, nature was already sprouting left and right. Life returned to the little village on the forest’s edge.

The villagers had been celebrating all day, it was Fairies Feast or also called Fairy Housing. The evergreen branches, which were the winter decorations of all houses, were brought back outside. With those branches surviving, spring survived. Winter might had frozen the life outside, but if people took care of it, spring would return. With knives and sickles the village had freed the fallow fields from weeds and shrubs, making space for the fairies. Together with the evergreen branches, the proud owners of fields and gardens-built fences around the fallow of the year. Many weaved in ribbons, trinkets and other decorations or constructed little gate arches for the fairies.

It was in everyone’s interest, that the fairy houses looked good, nobody wanted them to skip their fallow land. After all, they were the reason why after the years break, those fields would bare fruit again! While families and elders built their fences, the young and unmarried ones sat on the village square, busy with their own tasks: fairy servants, little straw puppets with an evergreen branch as a crown, a belt, or a staff. Two puppets for each house, taking care of the fairies so that they had time to focus on replenishing the soil.
Many young couples were eager to make sure they constructed almost twins. This evening, they’d had to guard a field with the person whose fairy servants were similar.

On the edge of the group, carefully working, sat Thomas. He was also very eager in his construction effort: he wanted to make the most hideous puppet he could think off, so nobody would match him, and he’d be allowed to stay at home tonight. Every year he made two headed, three legged or undefinable puppets, so that the elders choosing the pairs, were convinced the charcoal maker must be the most untalented wood worker in the world.

But this year, at nightfall when the elders walked through to inspect the puppets, they actually found a match for the little straw-cat, Thomas decided to make…

It was the Fairies Feast! Rolf was incredibly excited. Given the day to himself, as his master focused on weaving the branches they’d kept in the bakery, he would be locked in the kitchen, creating his doll. It had taken a few tries, but he’d created a doll he was proud of.

The past few years, there were girls who’d wanted to pair off with him, but he’d always wanted to leave it to chance…except he knew for all his creativity, his straw dolls never looked like he intended. But then it occurred to him, bread! He could knead the bread into a proper shape, bake it and voila, success! A little kitten doll, it’s ears delicate triangles, and carefully he slipped pine needles in for the whiskers. He wrapped the warm bread in a simple blue cloth, and headed out to the elders.

It took some time to get to the fields, mostly because he got distracted talking to some of the villagers. He was in good spirits when he came to the wise men, waiting in line for another to have their doll checked.

He unwrapped the bread with a flourish, holding it out in one palm, with a grin on his face. It faltered, when the first man frowned, turning to his peer.

Out of bread? Ridiculous.

It’s too delicate, it wouldn’t last.

More murmurs were had, but the end result was the same, “This just won’t do Mr. Jackson. Stop trying to be funny and do what you’re supposed to.

Rolf knew better than to argue. He may have been well liked by the villagers, but that did not make him popular with the elders. Some of which were hoping he’d marry their daughters, he was sure. So it was with a lowered head, he rewrapped his prize, then joined the others around the gathered straw.

The problem was, the straw never listened. Where it seemed easy for others to curve it to form a head, parts liked to stick out in his attempts. Finally deciding the extra humps were ears, he focused on the body. Tying the string off, he joked around with the others, letting them laugh at the deformed head as he shaped the arms. He showed off his rejected attempt, commiserating with the younger villagers on the prudishness of the elders.

Having dressed the misshapened doll as well he could, he took it off to the elders to have it checked. They did without a comment, merely nodding, then turning to the next in line. Disappointed in his subpar results, he joined the baker in shaping the fence. Though not before showing off his proper doll.

I could have told you it wouldn’t have worked.” Was all he got as praise.

Bemoaning the cruelty of the world, he nonetheless helped with the fence.

To his surprise, his accepted doll was matched, not with an elder’s daughter, but a man. The charcoal burner. Rolf knew him of course, since the ovens ran on charcoal, they’d be lost without him. But he couldn’t say he’d ever talked to him beyond the vague hi and thank you. So as he met up with Thomas in the field right beside the forest, he wasn’t sure what to say. Looking down at the bread he’d yet to relinquish, he blurted out, “Do you want an arm?” As he unwrapped the package.

Thomas was already packing his things, in his mind getting ready for the day. Also, his little garden needed some attending. He usually built a little fairy house on the edge of it, to invite those who might be not high enough in hierarchy to get one of the villages fields to attend too. He was certain, since he had started doing it, his turnips and beets became massive.

Stretching out his back, shouldering his bed roll and other things he brought for a night on the fields, he waved to the elders, as usual expecting them to just nod and dismiss like very year.

“Thomas, good news! This year someone matched your… skills.” Elder Bernhard called, he was almost ninety but still very fit and fond of the young read head. Convinced the char coal maker was just untalented but a good man. Slowly approaching, heavily depending on his cane, he crossed the little village square and pointed towards the fields “My field it is, I hope the fairies like cats as much as I do.”

After the fences were built, the cider was emptied, and the songs and dances were done. He marched to the field. In the west the sun was setting, leaving some warmth and the smell of blooming life behind. Around him, in the other fields, behind freshly woven fences he heard giggling, whispering and laughter. He honestly hoped it wasn’t Magda who matched him, the carpenters daughter became quite pushy lately and Thomas didn’t know how to tell her kindly he wasn’t interested.

Arriving at the field, he smiled relieved. It was Rolf, a customer. “Good evening,…” he started when the other man offered him bread. “I’d love too! Let’s set up.” He said, unfolding his blanket to sit for them. As everyone in town, Tom made a bit of an effort today: clean white shirt, comfortable linen trousers and his leather shoes were clean. Usually when he was in town, he was covered in coal dust and smelling like a forest fire. His hair was standing in all directions, from a day in the fields tough and his shoes were already covered in dirt from the fields and paths. With a smooth shake the blanket was unfolded and placed on the fallow, they had to guard tonight. “Be my guest.” He said, while breaking of the offered arm of the bread-cat.

Oh! What a good idea.” Taking full advantage, Rolf turned and sat on the blanket, laying back to stretch before sitting up once more. “Last year I had to give Magda my jacket to sit on. You’d have thought I’d remember that before now.” She was a pretty girl, who knew it. Still to her credit, she accepted that he wanted to complete his mastery before settling down. Instead she’d spent the night filling him in on all the gossip he hadn’t been paying attention to. It’d started off feeling almost as illicit, but he’d put the knowledge to good use. His customers had never been happier.

Glancing up at the charcoal burner, he suppressed a smirk, remembering her comments about him interwoven. He was honestly surprised the two hadn’t gotten together, what with how interested she was. For good reason: redheads were the best after all. Even if Thomas's was a mess. He smoothed down his green tunic with a smile. “It’ll be a great chance to get to know you. That’s what I like best about this tradition. Sure, you can make your dolls together, but I like the bit of chance that sets us up. Even with people you’ve rarely talked to.

He patted the blanket beside him. “Might as well make yourself comfortable too. Tell me, what do you normally do when you’re picked? My last time was filled with gossip, but you don’t seem the type.” Now that he thought about it, he didn’t remember seeing Thomas at the group breakfast that came afterward, but he was a quiet type; he might have missed him.

He smiled, listening, unsure where he should chip in. Rolf in his free time seemed much chattier than when he delivered the coal. “Yeah, dolls.” He murmured and picked up their creations to put them later in the north and south corner of the field. With a lot of fantasy, they both could been considered cats but Rolf’s bread cat, would have been the best cat out of the three.

“I usually make animals or disfigured humans, so nobody gets paired with me. Then I walk home, build a little fairy cove in my veggie garden, and start a new pile before heading to bed.” He said, sitting down. The wood has been almost fully stacked already, today he would have covered it before lighting. “This is the second or third time ever.” Sitting, he took a first bite of the bread. His eyebrows raised a little, surprised how good it was. Buying bread was something way out of his budget, he usually made little flatbreads with flour, water, and salt. Nothing as delicious and well thought through as this.

“The first time I was a teenager, right at my first evening. We told each other gossip too and the second time was a few years back, with a cousin of mine. She brought cider and we mainly trash talked about my brothers. Does your hometown celebrate the Field Fairies too?”
With a second bite, the rest of the piece was gone. Just like an animal, now that he has gotten some friendly chatter and a treat, he was much more looking forward to the night.

Oh.” Rolf blinked. He…really couldn’t imagine trying to not get picked. But sense returned as Tom explained, he wanted to make his own fairy cove in his veggie garden. The man must still believe in the myth. Rolf wasted a few seconds of wondering if his vegetable garden could be included in the fields, but shrugged asking, “Will you do it tomorrow instead?

He laughed at the charcoal burner’s anecdotes. Unable to help himself, he asked, “Too many of them? Or are they just too much? I’m an only child, my father wasn’t around enough to get another sibling. Always wanted one though.” He took a leg from the cat, before offering it to Thomas again.

Oh, my hometown is more focused on the forest.” He gestured at the one behind them. “We celebrated the Oak King’s victory over the Holly King at the turn of winter and the return of the birds come spring. But no, fairies were something to avoid in my hometown. They could help you, but there was usually a price.” Then he nods towards the dolls, “Here we pay the price in advance, so the fairies help. It’s smart.” Then he frowned, cocking his head. That grass looked different…didn’t it? Maybe he was just not used to seeing it at night. It wasn't like he was a farmer.

“I will definitely, you don’t want to mess with them.” Thomas said, nodding seriously. Once one starts to bond with them, it was wiser to stick with it. The charcoal maker was convinced they were the reason why everything is working out in the end. “I always have a little basket with a few branches out, in case I get picked… I call it my fairy tent. I hope it will do until tomorrow night.” Smiling over his very practical approach, he looked up to the clear sky.

“Too many and too much. They got the flat land; I got the wood and the hillside. Took me ages to clear enough area for the hut and the plot. But when I was thinking what to do with all the leftover wood, it came to me: what’s not suited for building, I could make into coal.” Moving around with his hands, to paint out the short story, he ended with a wide gesture as if charcoal was the big enlightenment of his life. Unable to keep a serious face at it, he laughed out loud. “You didn’t miss out, trust me.”

“Ah, don’t start with them. You won’t believe how many trees I plant each week to keep the balance. I don’t mess with the forest spirits either. First year I didn’t pay my end and a tree nearly hit me and the hut, first winter morning. I’ll show you one day, I have even made them a little shrine, just to be save.”

Thanking, he broke off another piece of the bread and took a long sniff before smiling. Yeah, that was the good stuff. He might buy it for festivities as a treat from now on. “So, the Oak King and the Holly King? I don’t know that tale, what happened between the two?”

Rolf ignored the grass. It must have just been him overthinking things. Grass didn’t change that fast. There was a reason watching grass grow meant boredom. Instead he focused on Thomas’s plans.

Rolf didn’t say anything further. In his experience, fairies weren’t very forgiving, but these Fae folk seem different from ones at home. Maybe, hopefully, it’ll be alright. Otherwise Thomas would have to do with the town’s crops instead.

It was a relief to move on to his brothers. There wasn’t anything either of them could do to appease the coal maker’s Fae. “Were you the youngest? Either way they sound like snots. Are they still nearby?” He hadn’t noticed anyone in the village visiting him, but if he’d tried to avoid them that could be why. Rofl didn’t know how to explain he wanted a connection with someone, like a brother. A strong bond. But since it seemed Thomas’s brothers weren’t that type, he didn’t bring it up further.

It occurred to him that he should have brought more bread. At least the company should make the night pass faster. He was surprised to think that Thomas was so affected by the forest spirits. He’d taken to ignoring them in his lifetime, believing his father to use quelling them as an excuse to avoid his family. Still, he knew how to pay his respects--if a tree had nearly killed Thomas, it was better to be safe than sorry. “I’d like to see it.

As for his beliefs, “Oh, well. It’s like a balance, see? The Oak King represents life and growth, while the Holly King represents death and endings. They’re both present all year round, but when the Holly King defeats the Oak King, he has all winter to reign, getting stronger and stronger. But the Oak’s been growing under the surface, biding his time. At the Solstice there’s a great battle and when the Oak King wins, Spring can come again.” Rolf spoke like everyone should know this, and he was somewhat surprised Thomas didn’t.

"I'm the youngest, yeah. Well they got all the land, so they stayed too. But I mostly keep to myself, coal needs attention."
Thomas answered, swallowing his last bite and layed down, watching the night sky. It wasn't too bad with Rolf, it was Smalltalk rather than judgemental village rumours and the young man realised that he enjoyed it.

"I'll be home all day tomorrow, building my fairy home, feel free to drop by after the bread is done."
Given the size of the settlement the redhead just assumed that the other would know the hut with the charcoal pits. Listening to the explanation he was a bit surprised.
He never thought of Holly as something bad, it stayed green all year and some even used it for the fences too. It wasn't edible but it made amazing little coves to hide in danger.
"It's funny how every town has it's own little stories! Are those kings fairies?"

Rofl couldn’t judge. He’d left his family to go to an entire different village. Still, it seemed sad that Thomas’s was here yet so distant. It reminded him of his father. He swore he’d befriend the man, who was good company. He could visit the coalmaker’s hut.

Starting tomorrow, “I’ll be there.” He didn’t bother to explain it would be late, for Thomas likely knew he’d have to stay and sell the bread. It had been his job for years now.

He agreed, the variety of stories was interesting. It made him consider traveling to learn more, but first he had to get his mastery. Then the world would be his. “Oh yes, they’re king of the fae. Only Fae would be strong enough to have power of life and death. Both must be respected, even in their off seasons.” He paused, wanting to make sure he was clear, “You can’t think of Holly as bad. It isn’t. I mean, death sucks and all, but endings are good sometimes too, you know? Like when I get my mastery, it’ll be the end of a great period of my life, but it wouldn’t be as important if it didn’t end.” Something he felt his father didn’t understand. Endings were distant things to elves. “It’s like fire. It just is. Nothing evil.

„I think so too, I wonder why it gets defeated in the tale. Especially since death’s the only thing that never loses.” Tom answered, despite sounding a bit grim, enjoying the talk. He never went to a school or education but felt like a scholar now, discussing the tales and fairies. “I guess someone had to be the face of winter.” He said, honest laughing in enjoyment.

The spent the rest of the night talking, taking turns sleeping on Toms blanket, performing the “midnight calling” by telling the last verses of the “Fairies Court”, describing the gathering of the big old fae kings and how they dispatch the field fairies, their long march and how lovely the rest on the fields of the village will be:

“In fields where spring's embrace is tight,

Evergreens guard both day and night.

Here, where field fairies softly tread,

In secret quarters they make their bed.

Strong fences of green, forever unswayed,

A year of rest, in quiet glade.

Two servants of willow and grass stand tall,

Offering shelter, peace to all.

Meals of wild grasses, herbs delight,

Nectar of meadow flowers, pure and bright.

In this haven, fairies find their cheer,

In whispers of nature, they hold dear.”

In the morning, they stood at the east end of the field, watching the sun rise and reciting tales of the fierceness of the field faries and their protection of the meadows and villagers, to ward of evil spirits. And with the end of the tale and the sun shoving up above the village halls roof, they had done their deed. Quietly, not talking, to not disturb the new lords and ladies of the field, they sneaked out.

As soon as Rolf was turning towards the village, Tom smiled and said his goodbyes: “I’m not big with that breakfast and the chatter, I’ll head home and build my fairy house. I don’t want to upset them. I hope you come over tonight!”

After departing, the charcoal maker returned home. His little house was in the hillside, stilts, and stones evening out the slope. The dark roof was made of thatch, the walls white from the limewash. Its chimney stood up on the back of the house, made of river stones. Like most houses in the village, it had just one room and in Tom’s place it was a small one. A bed, a table with two stools and the fireplace, was beside the cloth chests and the shelf with food all he owned. The young man entered, changed into his work clothes, and immediately followed the little path up to the hilltop, where his little garden waited for him.

In the evening, watching the sun set in the west, Tom was sitting on the stairs leading up to the door of his hut. Carving a spoon, from a piece of wood, he waited for his newmade friend. He had a good view down to the fields, houses and the little path leading to the farms at the foot of the hill. The charcoal maker had made a little woodfire next to the stairs, to lead Rolf towards the hut as well as to dispose his attempts of making a spoon. While three or four had already landed in the fire, just two halfway decent were waiting next to him.

Rolf enjoyed the night. His fellow red-head was good company, and with the blanket to ward off the chill of the ground, it was easy to find rest in between watches. He preferred when they were both awake, preparing for speaking the final verses at the chime of midnight or just letting conversations continue in lieu of sleep. It was his best Fairy Festival.

After they warded off the evil spirits, Rolf turned and bowed to the little hut, the most respectful he could be. He followed Thomas out silently, surprised when he spoke before they reached the village. He thought it was sad that the man did not want to join the breakfast. Most of the other villagers did what Rolf had done and ignored the coalmaker. It was their loss however, the man was a great conversationalist, and just good to be around. Still, with his fairy house in need of building, he did not protest, merely offered a wave, “Of course I’ll be over. Most of our stock will have been used up during the festival, so it may be late, but I’ll be there.

No one seemed surprised when Rolf arrived alone. He was prepared to explain, but everyone seemed not to worry over the missing man. Magda noted it was in the other redhead’s nature, which he couldn’t disagree with. Still, he made it clear that Thomas was a friend of his now, but the other villagers just swore Rolf would make friends with anyone, and focused on their meal.

Though he remained amicable, talking with the others, his attention was on the pair at the end of the table. They weren’t even sitting side by side like most. Instead they glared at each other from across the table. Rolf made a note to figure out what that tension was. He lagged in a response, and Magda elbowed him then leaned over, eager to spill the gossip. “I heard them myself this morning. Arguing. Markus apparently fell asleep without waking April.” Rolf, admittedly thought nothing of it, but as Magda continued, he realized the rest of the town was not so blasé. “They argued instead of reciting the tales. The elders are trying to figure out what to do. Harvest will be hard this year.

Rolf nodded solemnly. He figured he’d ask Thomas what might have happened: the man seemed as educated about fairies as the elders. And was much more enjoyable to talk to.

Breakfast ended with a stuffed belly. Filled with sausages and biscuits, Rolf made his way to the bakery. He was met with a gruff “you’re late,” but knew better than to explain the breakfast. The baker knew where he’d been. He just always greeted him that way, as long as he hadn’t woken up before the baker. “Did you hear?

You don’t have time for gossip, get to work.

But the ‘gossip’ followed him all day. Throughout, he heard the elders were in the field, trying to detect the fairy that had moved in. It seemed as if it were empty, but they hadn’t grown that old without being overly cautious.

The latter spread the fastest, as if it were good news. The field could just be left to fallow if empty. It would be a loss, but it was better news than an evil spirit. But in the quietest of whispers, which Rolf could only hear with his elven ears, they wondered what if the evil entity was hiding?

By the end of the day, hot and sweaty, Rolf was grateful to escape the comments. Knowing he wasn’t from around here, many tried to be helpful by telling him all the types of evil spirits that could come. And various tactics to protect him. He’d been given a horseshoe and nail. It had grown so overwhelming, he tried to get the baker to take over in the front, though he was met with failure.

He took a steady pace down the trail to Thomas’s house, eager to see what he’d made and pass on the happenings. The man likely missed it completely, but Rolf was confident he’d want to know. He spotted the fire amongst the trees and picked up his pace until the charcoal maker was in sight. “Hey there! Get everything set up?

Tom was surprised, how happy he was that Rolf stood to his promise and showed up. The previous night had been surprisingly pleasant and made him question his voluntary solitude. Putting the halfway finished spoon aside, he stood up, brushing down the wood chippings from his leather apron. Light footed he hopped down the few steps to greet the other. “Welcome, Rolf! Yes, yes of course!” he responded exited. He was quite proud of this year’s fairy house. It might be a forest or sun fairy, given the time he set it up, but he didn’t mind that. “I’m quite happy with it – let me get two torches and I can show you.” After a day of working on his plot and setting up everything for tomorrows pile, he was freshly scrubbed.

Offering his hand for the greeting, he was vibrating from excitement looking forward to showing the other the house. All day, there was an herb bundle hanging in the fairy house, his grandmother once said that after three sunsets those bundles gave away which fairy moved in. Tom was excited to tell the baker about it, wondering all day already if the others hometown had similar tricks, since here most people forgot those old ways. Not everyone was so obsessed with them, as Tom’s family was. “Do you want to rest first? I hope the hill wasn’t too straining.” He asked, remembering his manors the last second.

Rolf couldn’t help but notice Thomas was as clean as he’d been for the festival. It made sense; a person wouldn’t want to be dirty in their own home, but it was a strange difference. Would the man be as amicable when he was working? It was like knowing an entirely new man, from the solemn one who delivered the charcoal. He was pleased the change continued though.

Shaking his hand in greeting, he was just as eager to speak but willing to wait until he’d seen the new house to spread the news. He had a feeling that would dampen the mood, and he didn’t want to bring the ill tidings onto whatever spirit Thomas had invited in.

He laughed at the idea of the walk being too much, even if there was a slight burning in his chest. “I’m on my feet all day; this was just a good way to stretch my legs.” He figured he’d be fine. Thomas’s fairy house couldn’t be too far from his home, right? "Go fetch the torches, I want to see what you built." He would make due.

“It’s just up the hill, nothing more than five minutes.” He reassured the baker and got two pieces of wood. The tree had been full of sap, when he cut them, and the branches would be burning without additional tricks or substances. Lighting the first for one way, he took the lead further uphill. Light footed he made his way to his little plot, jumping over bigger stones and roots on the self-made path, excited like a playfull dog.

On the top of the hill was a big clearing, most of it had been natural but Tom’s trade and effort had grown its size over the last years. Manly oak, birch and beech trees were surrounding the cultivated land. His plot was big, almost a field and organised in neat little rows. Almost a third was still posting winter plants, like broccoli, brussels sprouts, and kale. In the centre was a big compost pile, easy to reach from all corners of the ‘garden’. Tom was heading to the west end, where in the morning the sun would shine as soon as it got above the trees on the east end of the clearing.

On the foot of a big old oak tree was a little fairy house. Carefully constructed out of ever green branches and carved pieces of oak and beech. Tom usually carved the pillars during winter and sometimes even tries to split birch branches for some wood flooring. The fairy house of this year, almost looked like a dog’s hut. About a square foot of split-branches surrounded by oak branch-walls and roofed with ever-green branches, it was tiny version of a log cabin. The door, made from thatch was closed but through a little window one could see inside: a little herbs pile for a bed and right next door a wooden bowl with seeds and nuts. Above the door, on the inside, a little herbs bundle was hanging from the tiny ceiling. “I prepared everything during the winter and just had to set the roof and inside things.” Tom admitted his little cheat. Sometimes the foundation and walls lasted several years, so that it was only his third fairy home he had to built.

Rolf treaded along more steadily, watching his step for roots and the like that Thomas seemed to know were there. He wondered if the man’s workings with the Fae had made him more attuned to nature, invigorating him when he was in it. Or was his knowledge more mundane, built from years of working in the forest? Regardless, with his playful energy, Tom seemed like an imp himself.

He paused at the edge of the clearing, his elven heritage enough to sense the care that had been poured into it. It was enough to feel almost sacred. He raised a hand, touching the nearest birch tree, almost asking for permission to enter, but then followed Tom toward the end of his patch. “This is impressive. Do you buy anything from the village?” He knew the man didn’t buy bread, but it looked like he wouldn’t need much else besides meat.

The tree they neared looked ancient. Felt ancient. It had been a guardian for a long time. But the fairy house drew Rolf’s attention past the sentinel quickly. He sat before it, studying the detail and even looking inside. “This is better than the fields. You know more than the elders, don’t you?” He wondered if the other man’s kin, those he was estranged from, were any of the elders. At Tom’s admittance, Rolf laughed, “That just shows how much effort you actually put into it.” If he worked all winter to build it perfectly, the Fae were sure to appreciate it. “Now tell me, these herb bundles that are hanging: I recognize the rosemary and thyme, but what do they mean to the Fae?

“Oh yeah, of course. Meat, Salt, Spices… that stuff.” He said, of course there was still his extended family around too for getting many things cheaper. Proud he saw how Rolf inspected his work and even was curious enough to get down and look inside. Once he noticed his new friend was sitting for a while, he joined him on the grass between field and oak.

“No, I don’t think so. My grandmother used to know a lot, but it was tradition to pass it down to daughters and she just had my father.” He explained apologetic, scratching the back of his head “But I still managed to get some tricks. She liked my interest but when she decided to break with the tradition, she wasn’t around long enough to teach me all.”

Playing with an acorn, so he didn’t have to look up while telling Rolf that part of his youth, he felt the usually wave of sorrow. It had been almost a decade now, but he never forgot that woman. “Oh, you gather herbs and weeds from around the home and bundle it up. After three sunrises you burn them before you go to sleep, in your bedroom. The remaining smoke tells you in your dream, what fairy moved in.” he explained excited now that the topic changed to something he was confident in. His fingers dropped the acorn, without him noticing and instead he gestured like there was smoke already filling the air around them. “I’m pretty sure it will be a nice one.”

Most of the traditional knowledge Rolf was aware of was passed from son to father. He hadn’t really thought of what secrets his mother could have held and refused to share as he was not a daughter. Smiling softly at Tom’s apologetic state, he reached out and put his hand on the man’s shoulder. “Well I’m glad not all the knowledge was lost. You seem to do quite well.” Squeezing, he let go as the redhead answered his last question. “Does it matter which herbs? Do you use different ones for different Fae you’re trying to attract?

Rolf’s face shuttered. Abruptly reminded of the town’s troubles as Tom predicted a nice one for his. “I should tell you: you probably understand better than I do…” He looked at his hands, feeling out of place. He didn’t want to spoil this peaceful location, so he looked up at his new friend. “Perhaps back at your house though?

„Stuff growing around the fairy house, they like the spot that’s why they are there in the first place. So far away form a settlement, there’s no bad ones, feeding of bad emotions or violence, just the ones enjoying nature and peace. That’s also why I don’t guard it.” He said, before breathing in the warm forest air, to get a slight feel of what the fairies here might like. “They don’t attract, they tell who moved in.” Wrinkling his forehead, he was a bit concerned that something would trouble his friend, so he just nodded, leading them back to his house.

Upon arrival, he led the way up the little stairway to his stilt-house, lightning an oil lamp with his torch. Like many houses, his home had also just one room with pretty much all you need at one spot: a bed, a table with stools, shelves and a chest for belongings and of course a little fireplace for heating and cooking. “Is it a schnaps kind of story or a tea story?” he asked upon entering his home, setting the lamp on the table. The room smelled of smoke, herbs, and wood. Bundles of tried herbs, mostly for cooking, were hanging from the low ceiling and a few glowing coals in the fireplace were waiting for kindle and wood.

Yeah, it didn’t seem like the kind of place to ever have evil spirits. The peace was seeping into his bones, relieving his worries that had grown as the gossip spread. He stepped around the house to the oak, placing his palm on the bark. He sent a pulse of thanks to the old tree, one of the few things his father taught him.

Then he followed Tom back to his house. That feeling of peace still permeated the air as they entered. It was a sturdy well built house, with more than enough room for a family, let alone a man. Taking one of the stools, Rolf sat replying, “Probably schnaps.” He didn’t want to break this calm, but he also was hoping that his friend would brush off the fears of the town.

Once the other was settled, he started. “A couple didn’t recite the tales: they were arguing instead. Apparently one fell asleep without waking the other.

“Schnaps it is.” He said, walking over to the shelves, taking out a big clay bottle with a wax seal and two little cups. Placing both on the table, he sat down across his newfound friend and started pouring them a drink.

“Oh, that’s not a good thing close to a settlement. My grandmother said there’s always evil spirits living of little fights, jealousy, and other bad human things. Fighting is basically an invitation.” Handing Rolf his quite generous drink, before taking a sip himself.

Thomas took his warning seriously. The cups might have been small, but they were full enough he had to be careful with his first sip. “I was worried you’d say that. The whole town is in an uproar about it.” He pulled the nail and horseshoe out of his pocket, “I was given these to protect myself. One person suggested I turn my clothes inside out.” It was obvious Rolf didn’t know what to believe. “The Elders were at it all day. Last I heard the dolls look as if they’ve aged 6 months, but I haven’t seen for myself. One rumor said they thought the dolls caught fire, but they're definitely still in one piece.

Taking a fortifying sip, he asked, “So, how would one get rid of an evil spirit?

Hearing about the dolls he took a big sip from his cup and pouring himself a second. “Oh, my grandmother always said Iron and Salt is against evil spirits but luckily, we never had one around. I’m sure the elders will know what to do.” He said, his voice a pitch higher than usual. Getting up to fetch them some water from his cauldron he sat down “It’s usually nothing, the field will stay barren for a while until the spirit gets bored. There’s not enough fighting in the fields after all. One would have to find the place the spirit entered the world and bless it, but that could be anywhere in the village! You’d need a witch for that.”

Salt? Rolf used it regularly in his baking, but never considered its supernatural properties. At least it’d usually be handy just in case. As for the other, “Maybe carry some iron until the elders solve it?” He offered Tom the horseshoe. The man didn’t have the protection of the town out here on his own.

It seemed like Tom was a responsible drinker, as he stood and collected water for them both. Rolf relaxed at his friend’s reassurance. He’d listened to his worries and obviously took it seriously, but his knowledge was a relief to the half elf. They could deal with a barren field. One was usually left to renew anyway. “I suppose we could just bless every part of the village. Just in case.” He laughed at his suggestion. Like that would work. "It wouldn't be near the field?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back