• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Steamhaven: Land of the Lost

When Dan left, Lianna turned to Patrick with a flirty wink, "You know, cooking is not the only activity that can be done in the kitchen." She patted the counter she was leaning against. "But, we should probably make that salad first."

Despite his embarrassment earlier Patrick seemed more open around her now that Dan was gone. "There is, huh?" Took a step closer, not quite touching but not offering her much room between him and the counter. He leaned in, noses and lips nearly brushing.

Then he made to lean away, unable to hide a grin. "But you're right, that salad needs fixing."

- Kiss him
- Complain
- Tease him back
- Make the salad

Lianna was already prepared for that kiss, in fact she had been eagerly expecting it, so when Patrick moved away she let out a small groan, before gripping his human arm to keep him from moving. She raised on the tips of her toes to reach him, brushing her lips over his and pulling him toward her. "I think I require more attention that the salad." She said with a crooked smile.

"Apparently," Patrick chuckled against her lips. In one swift motion, he lifted her onto the counter to bridge most of their height difference and leaned down to eliminate the rest. Unlike the first time, Patrick did not seem afraid of breaking her; their kiss was warm and deeper than before. Only Patrick's chapped lips indicated Lianna was kissing the same person.

It was difficult to tell how much time had passed, but it didn't feel like very long before Patrick pulled away. "The grocer Dan went to is pretty far away," he said. There was a playful nervousness to the way he'd spoken, as if he were unsure he was crossing a line but doing so anyway with the back-and-forth banter that had become their norm. "Still need more attention?"

Lianna could end things there and focus on cooking, or she could invite him to her room.

- Focus on cooking
- Invite Patrick to bed
- Hesitate
- Other

Lianna mulled it over for a moment. He liked having Patrick so close and her whole body tingled with warmth from their kiss. But she couldn't help but imagine the awkwardness that would ensue were Dan to return quicker than they think.

"We are roommates, aren't we?" Lianna smiled, gently stroking his cheek. "We have all the time in world." She kissed him once softly and then slipped down from the counter, her body brushing against his. "But I'll hold you to it."

Patrick didn't look flustered, but pink dusted his cheeks and he wore a borderline goofy grin when they parted. Well, goofy for Patrick - the eyepatch and set of scars weren't particularly silly, but his smile did make him appear softer.

"Salad, then," he said and started organizing the ingredients.
-----
A good half an hour later, maybe more, Dan came back with a small wrapped package and windswept hair. "I forgot what part of the chicken to get, so I let the grocer choose," he said. "I hope legs are alright." The meat would be a different texture and flavor than the chicken breast Patrick had burned, but the blacksmith seemed in too pleasant a mood to complain.

All that remained was to cook up the chicken, serve, and eat lunch.

- Finish lunch
- (Optional) Practice manners with Dan

"It doesn't matter, chicken is chicken as far as I'm concerned." Lianna responded. She would get to cooking with the help of Patrick, but wouldn't let him get near the meat, just in case. Whem lunch is served it would be time to refresh Dan on his lessons.

"Do you remember what we learned before I went down under?" Lianna asked him. "Handkerchief on the lap, elbows off the table, small bites, mouth closed." She reminded. Then looked to Patrick to make sure he was doing the same as well.

Sitting at the table, Lianna would see drastic differences in the way each man sat. Where Dan typically hunched over, elbows atop the table, and took massive sloppy bites Patrick tended to lean away. Completely against the backrest level of far away, as if he couldn't be bothered to come to the table. His bites were smaller, too - they had to travel a farther distance from his plate to his mouth, after all.

Neither one were perfect, but Patrick would likely pass in a social setting. He didn't talk with his mouth full.

"Wha-" Dan caught himself speaking with food in his mouth, only to quickly quiet. He sat up slightly straighter, took his elbows off the table, and chewed without a word. Only when he swallowed did he speak again: "I do remember... usually. Perhaps it's the different environment that is distracting me."

Patrick snorted in amusement. "Got nerves, Dan?"

Dan appeared to take the question seriously. "Hmm," he looked at his plate, then around the room. "Perhaps so. It is my first time eating with Lianna in her home, much less being here." Never a stranger to openly sharing his thoughts.

"I was kidding," Patrick clarified, "but good to know...? I guess?" He set a bite of chicken back on his plate and studied Dan. "You know, even if you've got the looks and the table manners, your..." he gestured to Dan in entirety, "'eccentric hermit' demeanor, I guess, is going to put some people off."

Shrugging, Dan grabbed a forkful of food. "I cannot please everyone."

"Exactly. So what's the point of all this effort to make those people like you?"

As he chewed, Dan's lips curled downwards and his brows scrunched together thoughtfully as if he were asking that question himself internally. Perhaps he'd come to his own conclusion by the time he finishing chewing, or perhaps he hadn't a clue at all. Lianna could let him answer on his own or she could provide some helpful insight.

- Let Dan answer
- Provide insight
- Say something else
- Changer the subject

Lianna listened to the exchange between the two men, smiling fondly at Dan when he spoke about their lunch in her apartment. She felt that it meant something to him and she was glad for it. It meant something to her too, she was happy to have her friend over.

"Oh, Dan," She started when Patrick decided to ask the prodding questions, quick to jump to his defense, "Now I feel like it's my fault. I have insisted on you behaving properly and dressing the part for the last couple of days. But you don't have to, you know. If you are uncomfortable by it, just act as you usually do, I like you the way you are and others can stuff it." She smiled, but then quickly added, "But please do wear that suit though, so we are not barred from entry."

When Lianna began speaking, Dan shook his head until he finished chewing. "Nobody is to blame," he insisted. Peered at a forkful of salad thoughtfully, as if it could speak for him. Could articulate his thoughts. After a time he set it back atop his plate and looked at the pair, eyes falling last on Lianna. "I may not be perfect - or anywhere close, according to society's standards - but I have come to appreciate the value in... conforming to some degree."

Patrick made a face but said nothing. Simply took a bite of his food and listened while Dan talked.

"And when I say conforming, I do not mean becoming another person for society's sake. I am still me, neither better or worse than before, but with..." he faltered, eyes returning to the impaled lettuce leaves he'd sought words from earlier. "Tools."

"Tools?" Patrick quirked a brow.

"Yes, tools. Resources of which I can use outside the basement," Dan caught a second wind, now more eager to explain. "I prefer isolation because people baffle me; machines and schematics are far easier to understand than human behavior. But... now? Well," Dan gave Lianna a small smile, "I may be a tad excited for the gala, in truth. I have your guidance to thank for that."

- Praise Dan
- Hug Dan
- Something else
- Other

Feeling as if she could just burst and smother Dan with hugs, Lianna patiently watching him move and listened to him speak, controlling her emotions. When he was done, she reached out with her hand across the table to take his and squeeze it in a supportive manner.

"I'm very happy to hear that. For the time that I've been here I learned that little fun things that offer respite from daily struggles, such as the gala, are rare here. You have to appreciate them while you can." Her gaze flickered momentarily to Patrick, before focusing on Dan again, "So, I'm really glad that you don't see the dinner as a chore any more."

Dan's smile grew warmer as she spoke. He perked up at the end, patting her hand with his own before reaching back to grab his salad fork. "If anything, it will be a great social experiment! I will be able to test out what I have learned in the field and glean reactions from those around me. Comparing those with the reactions I receive without manners will prove interesting, I am sure." He chuckled, bringing the salad to his lips. "I have focused so long on supernaturals that it never occurred to me humans may be worth studying, too."

Classic Dan, turning anything and everything into some sort of experiment. At least he was excited.

Should she look again, Lianna would see the tiniest of smiles on Patrick's face as he chewed his food.
---
Lunch came and went and so did the three's company together: Patrick had to return to work and Dan needed to prepare his inventions for the gala tomorrow night. This left Lianna with a free evening. She could spend it however she pleased.

- Visit someone
- Investigate the werewolves
- Investigate the witches
- Investigate the vampires
- Explore the city
- Stay home
- Other

While she was glad to have company for lunch and she found both of them charming in the oddest of ways, Lianna also felt relief when she was left alone in her apartment. A bit of time for herself was exactly what she needed that day, but it wasn't something that she could afford to have. With the expedition to spy on the vampire coven in mind, Lianna decided that she should visit the nuns to see if any of them were willing to accompany her little party.

As Lianna stepped towards the church, she'd hear distant singing. It echoed through the halls as she entered the building. Organ music rattled her bones with each footstep. At the end of the hallway stood massive double doors decorated with an intricately painted trim.

Lianna could enter the double doors or explore elsewhere.

- Enter the double doors
- Turn right
- Turn left
- Other

Taking a moment to listen to the music, which was also another thing she didn't often notice in Steamhaven, Lianna's attention was caught by the neat looking double doors. She pushed them open, announcing herself with a soft, "Hello?"

Pipe organ music so loud it was nearly tangible shook the room and sunlight from outside bathed everything in gold. While most of the pews were empty, there were some people not of the church standing at the front. A row of nuns stood at the altar, hands clasped in front of them, and an elderly man in priest robes stood in the middle. When he raised his hands everyone looked towards their books and began singing.

Their voices filled her with the same warmth that reading from the Holy Book had and, miraculously, the sunlight streaming in seemed to intensify.

Each seat of every pew had a thin pamphlet, waiting to be opened.

- Sing along
- Observe quietly
- Leave
- Other

It didn't take long for Lianna to take up the pamphlet and follow the lyrics, singing along when she caught up to the song. She wasn't a religious person, but she appreciated all kinds of music and there was something about the choir that made her feel warm despite the chilly and damp air outside. There was no harm in spending a bit of time there, it was her chance to vent. And she would also be able to keep an eye out on the nuns and approach them when they were free.

As Lianna began to sing with the rest of the choir, all of her worries began to melt away. The Gala, Everett, the schemes of vampires and witches and werewolves... the end of the song left her wondering why they had made her so anxious, to begin with.

It felt unnatural... but so incredibly nice.

The pamphlet indicated two more songs before the service ended. Lianna could stay and let the Light wash away her stress or she could leave prematurely.

- Stay
- Leave
- Other

The feeling was nice, if a bit unsettling. Hopefully it was only to soothe her stressed mind and not to erase her worries completely. She needed those worries to function, but she still stayed on for until the end of the sermon, surely there wasn't any brainwashing at work here.

When the sermon ended, so did the feeling of weightlessness. However, while Lianna felt the pressure of her concerns return, it did so slowly. As the few common folks broke from the pews and left for the rest of their day, the nuns and priest had moved to the big double doors to see them out. Among them was Zenobia.

Lianna could use this time to approach any nun of her choice or the priest, or she could explore the rest of the church without worrying about eyes on her.

- Approach Zenobia
- Approach another nun
- Approach the priest
- Explore the church
- Other

Glad to see a familiar face, Lianna approached Zenobia in order to ask about her quest. If she couldn't get her help, perhaps she would be pointed in the right direction at least.

"'afternoon!" She greeted with a smile, "It was a lovely sermon."

Zenobia looked up from speaking with a small child and their mother. "Oh!" Recognition dawned on her and she smiled, "I am glad you enjoyed it. You look to be feeling better." Granted, Lianna still had bite marks beneath her bandages, but they no longer burned with infection. Some of the bites would undoubtedly scar, but Aunt Muriel had given her a lady's card to help prevent that.

- Recruit Zenobia
- Talk to Zenobia
- Change the subject
- Ask about the other nuns
- Other

"Thanks to you and the doctor." Lianna nodded, reminded of her recent close call. She had a lot to be grateful for. "I've actually come to ask for a favour. The Hunters are planning to brave the woods and walk deep into vampire territory and we would greatly appreciate the help of one of your order. Do you think this could be arranged? I'm not asking you to follow us straight into battle, but we could use some of your warding magic."

Zenobia's brows lifted, but she nodded. "Of course. The Light will not turn you away, though you should speak with Father Julian. He is just over there," she pointed to the sole priest who stood speaking with a family in ratted clothing. "If you tell him of the situation, he will find the right Sister to help. While we are all instruments of the Light some of us are better suited for different tasks."

- Approach Father Julian
- Ask Zenobia something else
- Speak with the nuns yourself
- Other

"Thank you, sister. Or mother?" Lianna smiled awkwardly, "I'm sorry, I still don't know how to properly address you." When she got an answer from Zenobia, she would move toward the priest with equally as warm of a greeting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back