• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Starting Over

FloatingAroundSpace

Three Thousand Club

“The saddest word

In the whole wide world

Is the word almost.

He was almost in love.

She was almost good for him.

He almost stopped her.

She almost waited.

He almost lived.

They almost made it.”

--​

Unknown

@Persephone

Barrin squinted into the mirror that hung in the bathroom, glaring at his dark hair. There wasn't much to do with it; it was coarse and thick and pretty much sat still. He passed a hand over it, trying to move it into a different position but found that it was near impossible to do and gave up as soon as he started, instead choosing to walk over to his closet and stare at the clothes inside for the umpteenth time. There were T-shirts and collared shirts and suits all lined up next to one another, staring back at him. He skimmed a hand over the shoulder of one suit jacket, frowning at it. Far too formal for a restaurant that didn't have a fancy golden star under its name when he looked it up. It was a quaint place, supposedly, chosen by his dear brother for the food and the "homeliness", whatever the hell that meant. In the end, Barrin shrugged on a plain blue collared shirt, left the top button undone, and pulled on his fanciest leather jacket. Deciding that jeans were good enough and that he was officially overthinking things, Barrin made his way to the living room and seized his keys from the bowl they had been placed in before heading down the apartment steps to his car.

He glanced at himself in the rear view mirror as he drove towards the restaurant, dark brown eyes staring straight back at him as his phone dinged, telling him he had received a text from his brother. Shimmying a hand down to his jean pocket, he pulled out the sleek phone and glanced at it once before throwing it into the empty seat next to him.

It was a simple "Good luck!" message, as if he was unable to handle himself. Even if Barrin hadn't dated in a while and even if he had never gone on a blind date and even
if he was still emotionally unstable, he wasn't breakable. That era had passed for him long, long ago and Nartai's constant attempts to fix a time gone by irked him. Not because he had seen his brother among the bullies that mocked his "stupidity" and his affections for those of the opposite sex, no. But because he had left it behind for a reason.

Barrin eventually pulled up to the proper location pocketed his phone again before stepping out, blinking at the red sign that said "Noodle House" in a sloppily cursive font. He sighed and locked his car, glancing at himself one last time in the mirror, his dark skin reflected back at him.

"This is bullshit," he muttered at himself, turning towards the door and entering. A woman greeted him in a false cheery voice that Barrin easily recognized.

"Reservation should be under a Nartai Primordial," he said politely.

"Right this way," the woman said in the same tone and led him past the tables with families and couples sitting together, laughing and shouting. He did his best not to glance at one person or another too hard.

In the back corner were two chairs facing one another and a table sitting in between them. Barrin smiled at the woman as she placed a menu in front of him and folded her hands politely in front of her. "Anything to drink?"

"Just water please," Barrin said quietly.

She nodded and left him to his thoughts, which he did not prefer.

It still made him sick, thinking back to the events that had led him here, to sit opposite a chair that would be occupied by another that he had never met before.

He buried his nose in the menu and decided
not to think about it.

She finally gave up on her hair twenty minutes into trying, the best she could do was some of it back to at least make it look like she put some effort into it. Natalie blamed herself for not starting more than an hour early before the date would even start. But at least she got her makeup and semi-casual outfit on because first dates were supposed to be semi-formal? She didn't know, because she hadn't been on a date in like eight years, and she had forgotten what true date etiquette was. She chose a long skirt that hit her ankles with a plain black t-shirt. She was having dinner at a Noodle House, not a five star restaurant where the patrons were racist old men who hid it with complements. But at least she looked nice, or so she told herself before she picked up her keys and left to go.

Natalie got into her clunker, praying that it'd start before it finally sputtered to life. It was a miracle! The old girl had been her first real car, that she purchased when she was eighteen. Of course it was a piece of shit that was going to die on her, but it was her piece of shit car. Her phone buzzed, and when she took it out to look at it, all she read was a single text, a 'GOOD LUCK ;D' from Nartai. Nartai was a friend of hers from work who had the idea to set her up with his older brother. As if she needed help to get back into the dating scene.

She finally pulled up into a good parking spot, the kind that'd allow her a quick escape if things went south. Of course she'd give Nartai the money to give to... Barrin-that was his name- if she did. She wasn't about to get beef with Nartai.

After one quick check to straighten her shirt, and pop a mint in, she entered the restaurant and waited until the hostess noticed her.

"Reservation for Nartai Primordial," she said, and rubbed her sweaty palms on her skirt before she was led to a table where there was a rather grumpy man sitting.

"You're Barrin, right? Nartai's brother. Sorry for being late, my car was having some trouble starting," she held out her right hand as if to shake his if he went for it.

This was a stupid idea, and she could already feel the self-hatred for having agreed to this. She was definitely not ready for this, even after so many years.

Barrin looked up from the menu when a voice spoke to him, blinking. The woman was about as tall as her sister-in-law Auria and had wild curl hair like Galene, pushed up with flyaway strands. He glanced down at the hand that was being given to him and he reached out to take it, given it a firm one-two-drop that he usually used to patients that came in. "Yes, I'm Barrin," he said, placing the menu down and standing, remembering the etiquette his mother had desperately tried to teach her children. He walked around to the other side and pulled out the chair, staring at her all the while.

"I presume your name is Natalie?"

Nartai had been quite tight-lipped about the person he was to meet. He had gotten a simple name and a wink and he had nearly slammed his fist into his brother's smug ass face because
goddamnit Nartai I can handle this!

Then again, his version of "handling this" was sitting at home, doing push-ups before rewarding himself with ice cream or sushi so that he could at least attempt to keep the endorphin going and avoid any negative thoughts. Food and exercise had become his life; he hadn't gone out with friends in nearly two weeks and his co-workers questions were getting increasingly specific.

Barrin himself had thought that time would make it better but all it had was agitated the wound.

He was at least still doing as well as he used to at work; the death rate hadn't gone up (it hadn't gone down either but Barrin had a good couple beers for that) and patients were still willing to let him take the scalpel even though he was sure that if they knew he was a two year resident, they wouldn't.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Barrin said as smoothly as possible, realizing he probably should have said so while shaking her hand.

She nodded and tried to keep the small smile on her face from turning too tight. It really wasn't the weirdest date that she had ever been on, but he seemed as forced into it as she was. That comforted her somewhat, and she soon sat down across from him. Natalie looked down at the menu.

"Yes, I'm Natalie."

This was going to be a disaster, she thought. Nartai always had good intentions, but it wasn't like all of his good intentions had good outcomes. But, of course she also had her getaway car with her if it became a true disaster.

"It's a pleasure to meet you too. But, I've got to admit that Nartai hasn't told me much about you. To be honest, all I got was a name and a nudge."

She could be at home, eating icecream or going over the calculations she did for work today. Math wasn't math without having to check it over twenty times. It was only dealing with the funds of the company that she worked with, and god knows that she hasn't done enough today. There was always a new episode on Netflix, or something to read.

"Mind telling me more about yourself? If that's alright?"

She held her hands under the table, and wiped her sweaty palms on her skirt again. First date gitters, it wasn't that bad, but she definitely was nervous.

Barrin gave Natalie a strained smile at her request, glancing down at the menu to give himself some time. "Well," he said slowly, "I don't like Ramen all that much. Which means I've killed off half of this menu."

Barrin frowned at the various recipes that included Ramen and a splash of some spice or a chunk of some vegetable or meat. He had never liked it; too salty and grating in the tongue. He liked subtle flavors more, ones like the udon listed.

"What looks good to you?" he asked her.

She looked down at the menu, and read what kind of options she had for a meal. It wasn't the best, and it reminded her of what she spent most of her time in university eating. Ramen and whatever food they had left over at the end of the night. She nodded, and swallowed down some of her nerves.

All she knew at this point was that she was going to get something with beef in it. She wasn't a fan of chicken anymore considering the amount she used to eat.

"I was probably just going to get something with beef in it."

Barrin hummed a reply, staring more at the letters stamped onto the menu than the woman across from him. He was unsure what to say. When he had gone out before, it was always with Joseph, always with the one he knew. He didn't know how to deal with learning someone else completely knew, from scratch. He hadn't done it in such a long time and he had no context for who she was or what she did.

"So," Barrin said, finally glancing up, "you know my brother. How'd you two meet?"

It had been years since she'd last gone on a date. For a time it was inappropriate too, then she had to heal herself. It was a process, and now that she had been pushed back into the game, she had no idea how to proceed. How did people do this day in and day out? She had no idea because she never really went out with strangers.

"We work together, but we met at the employee Christmas party last year."

"Only last year?" Barrin asked as the waitress wandered over again, smiling at them.

"Hello," she said sweetly, "what would you like today?"

Barrin ratted off an order of their seafood soup and udon, giving them a mild spicy order and smiled as he handed the menu back.

"And you?" the woman asked, turning to Natalie.

She nodded, "Yes."

Natalie read an order of something with beef in it. She didn't actually care, but she chose the ramen because it basically orders itself. It was hard to fuck it up, as she learned in university.

Barrin tapped his fingers on the table, officially having no idea what the hell to say.

Even though he was fairly certain it was in bad taste, he opened his phone under the table and texted his brother.

Nartai
me
What the hell do you say on these things?
them
Texting in the middle of a date? Bad form little brother
me
I'm literally just sitting here.
me
I mentioned you like once
me
Didn't pan out
me
Seriously dude, I've never done this before the fuck do I say???
them
Calm down first off. Second off, ask her something mundane like what she likes to eat. You can cook.
me
What has that got to do with anything?
them
Nothing at this moment but it's a conversation starter.

Barrin glanced up from his phone and gave Natalie a strained smile. "Sorry," he apologized, "I just haven't done this in a really long time and I'm at a loss for words." He glanced back down at his phone before looking up again. "So... I know this place isn't ideal. Where do you like to eat, usually?"

She gave him a small smile, "Me neither. I haven't dated in years and I didn't think to keep up with the changing date culture."

"It's pretty nice considering I eat at a lot of fast food joints when I forget to pack a lunch. I do like Italian food though. What about you?" she asked, and took a small sip of water from the glass she was handed a moment after she sat down.

This was going to be a pretty interesting date, if anything.

Barrin gave her a wry smile when she mentioned she hadn't been on a date in years. He had, but they were not these kinds of dates, when he got to know new people. They were the sort where he went out with Joseph, just to hang out somewhere nicer than their house. The thought pained him briefly and he hoped it didn't show.

"Well," Barrin said slowly, "I tend to cook my own food, don't go out much. But I do make good pasta, I've been told," he added.

She however, knew it was too early to mention the reason why she hadn't been on a date in years. But it was better this way, to wait until a certain point before telling people her sob story of a life. It was all behind her now, and she was trying to move forward. Or at least that was what she told herself.

"Pasta is the foundation of any good dish. Or at least any dish that has pasta in it."

Barrin chuckled. "I'm glad you think so," he said. "I usually make pasta when I'm too tired to make anything else, though. It was kind of my 'lazy dish', back in college, something I could throw together and read over while occasionally stirring."

He took a moment to take a sip of water. "What do you like for dessert? My mother always made a blueberry cobbler for my birthday or any other exciting event, like prom night, graduation, weddings..."

His voice trailed off at the last work and he swallowed down another mouthful of water.

"I used to eat a lot of those instant noodle cups because they only took a couple minutes to cook. If I was lucky, I'd borrow someone's kitchen and cook something that had substance to it. Good times."

She shrugged and looked over at him, "I'm none too picky when it comes to dessert. But, when I have the time I'll make a mud cake."

"I actually had this Calculus professor say to my class that he used to buy a birthday cake every week, and then eat it over the course of the week."

Barrin smiled slightly at her. "I remember the smell of the noddle cups whenever someone in my dorm made them. I think I've officially become allergic to it."

"Mud cake?" Barrin asked, tilting his head. "I've never heard of that before. I hope it's not made out of real mud. And your calculus professor is either very sad or he's got his damn priorities in order."

"It's a kind of chocolate cake that my grandma used to make. I got the recipe from her, and I would use it as a form of currency in college. Like, I'd offer to bake the cake in exchange for someone letting me use their kitchenette or to let me babble at them for five hours while I figured out things that were giving me trouble."

She chuckled,"Sometimes I still put them in my cart and I won't notice until I'm ready to go to the check out. There'll be all of my normal stuff, but like twenty noodle cups. Old habits die hard."

"That good, huh?" Barrin said. "Maybe you'd be kind enough to make me some?"

Before he could say anything else, the waitress bustled by again and set down their meals in front of themselves, offering them both chopsticks, which Barrin took, and a set of forks and knives.

"Someday, yes," she said, and gave him a wink.

The waitress came with their food, and she took a pair of chopsticks to eat with. For some reason, she was pretty adept at using them to eat, and was determined to eat an entire meal with them when she had the chance. Otherwise, she thought she was weak and unworthy to be in that restaurant.

Barrin felt his face grow warm at the wink but said nothing, instead picking up his own chopsticks and eating the food he had been given.

"You've used chopsticks before?" he asked her after he swallowed his first bite.

She nodded, and picked up the chopsticks. She was familiar with them enough that she felt as comfortable with them as she felt with any other utensil.

"Yes, I use them a lot actually," she replied before taking her first bite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back