Starship Simulator

Thinslayer

<p>

I've been trying to imagine how to create a roleplay in which each player is a crew member on a starship who fulfills a unique and vital role. Those who have heard of the game Artemis Starship Simulator will know what I'm talking about. My tentative idea works like this: the GM works as the Sensor/Information officer, telling the players what's out there and what's happening; another player works as the Helmsman, describing the maneuvers of the ship; another player works as the Gunner, firing weapons and dispensing ammunition as appropriate; etc. The problem comes down to the flow of gameplay. Theoretically, one player can handle everything on their own. Distribution of work is pointless and only serves to slow down the game, rather than offering any meaningful teamwork, and worse, there isn't a whole lot to write about for each role, if you really think about it. How do I design the game in a way that each player's role is important and meaningful?

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way I could see making everyone feel meaningful would be to allow them to create the part they are playing. Allow them to create backstories on how they ended up in their current position and encourage them to make each character their own.

Partly strong characterization and crew dynamics to keep it afloat, and I'd employ a mechanical system of some kind to really define each role. So in an emergency maybe the medical officer has to take a shot because they're ex-military, but they're not going to be as good at it as the current gunnery officer, know what I mean?

What makes player involvement meaningful is choice, and there have to be different consequences for different choices. Suppose one player takes the role of gunnery officer and he's manning a turret. What would make his choices meaningful? Choice of targets? Maybe if the captain lets the player fire at will, but I expect that the captain would make most of the target selection choices. The player's post boils down to, "Smith fired at the selected target." That's not very exciting. Most of the challenge as a gunner, for example, is trying to hit the target as directed.

Currently reading the Artemis Spaceship Simulator manual for ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back