Sources for Combos

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
Can anyone here point me to a good resource for pre-generated combos?  I've taken a peek at the hadful that are listed here and on the Exalted WIKI, but all told, that still doesn't add up to very many.

I've been hoping to find some pregenerated combos that I can use for NPC's and what not without having to sit down and map out each on in detail.

Any suggestions?

Danke!

Eldred said:
Any suggestions?
Just pretend you've made up combos, but instead just roll random amounts of dice, and make up colorful effect descriptions.

-S

Heh.  I've done that before.  The trick is that I want to try and be fair enough that the PC's get the impression that the NPC's can do things far beyond what they can ever hope to possibly attain.

In my experience it doesn't take to many 'deus ex machina"-type actions from NPC's before the players start to get bitter and lose motivation.  After all, why bother to try and strategize against an opponent when he can just pull Random Essence Powered Beat-Down Effect out of his ass or when your NPC friend can use Non-Player Character Saves the Day Technique?

Eldred said:
Heh.  I've done that before.  The trick is that I want to try and be fair enough that the PC's get the impression that the NPC's can do things far beyond what they can ever hope to possibly attain.
In my experience it doesn't take to many 'deus ex machina"-type actions from NPC's before the players start to get bitter and lose motivation.  After all, why bother to try and strategize against an opponent when he can just pull Random Essence Powered Beat-Down Effect out of his ass or when your NPC friend can use Non-Player Character Saves the Day Technique?
 So, use Bond-Villain syndrome.

Make it apparent that the villain, out of utter disdain for the party, is simply toying with them. Instead of killing them with something straightforward and effective, the villain opts for an immediate deathblow...that takes a turn or two to set up--during which the party can make other plans for the villain. Such as separating his head from his shoulders. Or disrupting his attack of impending doom.

An occasional REPBDE or NPCSDT is fine, as long as the ST shows how much a price the NPC is paying (conflagration of essence, full anima banner appearing in a manner that indicates their Essence pool is at zilch; collapse to the ground; actual wounds manifesting on NPC, etc.). Now, repeated deus ex machina would tend to piss the players off no end.

Eldred said:
Can anyone here point me to a good resource for pre-generated combos?  I've taken a peek at the hadful that are listed here and on the Exalted WIKI, but all told, that still doesn't add up to very many.
I've been trying to track canon combos (as well as some of my own) here. I haven't gotten very far yet, though. Most of the ones listed are in Cult of the Illuminated.

Eldred said:
The pc's can and should be doing that already. They're called stunts aren't they?

apeman321 said:
Eldred said:
The pc's can and should be doing that already. They're called stunts aren't they?
 Stunts usually only get you dice; what Eldred is referring to (I think) is actual effects, i.e. pulling off combos you don't have (with charms you don't have), breaking normal combo, charm, and sorcery rules...stuff like that.

Stunts can do that. It's not as easy as using a charm. With a charm or combo you can just say "Hey, I'm activating this and my character will do this." With a stunt you actually have to describe the action in detail and with style but it can allow a character to do the normally impossible.

But in response to the intial post. Sorry, Wiki is the best source of combos that I know of.

Let me know how well your ST takes to you stunting that Magma Kraken to resolve the turn you cast it. Or activating multiple scene-length charms in one turn. Or...you get the idea.

Let me know how well your ST takes to you stunting that Magma Kraken to resolve the turn you cast it. Or activating multiple scene-length charms in one turn. Or...you get the idea.
Point well taken. There are of course limits to what a stunt can do. I think I'm gonna try the Magma Kraken one just to see how he responds. Should be entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back