Other Song Writing Help??

Lost...

It's dark in here...
Howdy y'all!
Im prepping for a lil' concert and would like to take a brand new song to perform. Ive been writing music for about 5 years and performing for closer to 15. I thought it would be fun to play around and ask for lyric and style ideas from you guys, just to get my creative juices flowing so that I can (hopefully) write a totally killer song for this thing. So, go ahead and feel free to just give me any topics or lyric suggestions or anything like that!!

My bf reminded me, its probably important to tell y'all that I'm gonna be playing my guitar....

Nothing much, though I'll admit I'm a bit addicted to the pentatonic scales. They sound bizarrely good, you know! Great if you're jamming or improvising on the fly.

Also, pedals, man, loads of pedals: tremolo, phasers, distortion, flangers, reverb etc. Won't lie. I'm pretty into all that psychedelic thing.

Out of plain curiosity, what sort of genre do you play exactly? Also, do you use a simple acoustic guitar or an electric guitar? I'm a fan of the electric myself. Also, do you play solo or do you play with a band?

I'll definitely keep those in mind! I also love pentatonic scales!!
I typically play either Country or Metal, which, I know is sorta an odd combo, but those two genres are what have always stuck with me the most and I love them, so ive mimicked them in my own songwriting. I play both acoustic and electric, however, because I dont yet own an electric and can only practice on a borrowed or rented guitar, I tend to be more comfortable with the acoustic. And I love playing with my buddies, but this gig is a solo.

I'll definitely keep those in mind! I also love pentatonic scales!!
I typically play either Country or Metal, which, I know is sorta an odd combo, but those two genres are what have always stuck with me the most and I love them, so ive mimicked them in my own songwriting. I play both acoustic and electric, however, because I dont yet own an electric and can only practice on a borrowed or rented guitar, I tend to be more comfortable with the acoustic. And I love playing with my buddies, but this gig is a solo.

I tend to play a variety myself though I don't think I've ever explicitly written anything country—maybe folk. I always lean a bit towards jazz, blues, noise, rock and, so and so, metal. Even though I suck at it. Major sucking, if you will, like off the wall.

What's the venue gonna be like? Is it extremely local, like a dive bar, or something a bit more bigger?

Thats really cool!
It is very local, im really just getting started, and, I live in a small town, so there isnt a whole lot of options anyway. Its a resturant my friend opened the beginning of this year and has been fixing up, he hopes some live performers will help draw in extra business.

Small beginnings but I'm sure it'll work out! Especially if you've got people supporting you on your ventures.

Another little question: do you have any formal training or did you pick it up by yourself?

Thank you!!
I have had some formal training, though not very much, I would say im mostly self taught.

Highly interesting, but mostly so because I'm often like, training how? Sometimes I wonder if strokes of random luck are all what keeps me from ground bottom. Then again, I technical am at ground bottom. Music is a highly suspect trade, if you ask me.

Don't mind my asking but do you upload any of your songs on the net?

That's fo sho. Now, I'd make parodies myself, though I lack in comedic integrity (hull integrity at 0%), but my voice is pathetique to say the least. Besides, I am an extraordinary flunk in music.

Highly interesting, but mostly so because I'm often like, training how? Sometimes I wonder if strokes of random luck are all what keeps me from ground bottom. Then again, I technical am at ground bottom. Music is a highly suspect trade, if you ask me.

Don't mind my asking but do you upload any of your songs on the net?
I haven't uploaded any of my music, no...

Colter Wall and Tyler Childers have some good minimalistic acoustic pieces if you aren’t against a cover or two.

Long Hard Road - Tyler Childers
Whitehouse Road - Tyler Childers (he has a version that is only acoustic guitar)

The Devil Wears a Suit and Tie - Colter Wall
You Look to Yours - Colter Wall
Caroline - Colter Wall (in case you want to depress everyone)

And a bonus: Pretty Green Hills - Dave Evans (this really showcases the beauty of simple acoustic country storytelling)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back