Music Song Lines That Hit You When You First Heard Them

Peacemaker .45

Gigachad.jpg >“why yes I don’t proofread my posts”
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Songs can do a lot of things for people. For me, I’ve had songs help me understand my feelings at times in my life, when I found a song that really stated what I was going through at that time (essentially). There are some songs that, when you hear them the first time, they hit you hard and you don’t expect it.

So, with that being said, what song lines have hit you hard when you heard them. And, furthermore (if you’re comfortable with saying this), what was going on in your life at the time that that song line hit you that hard? I’ll state two for myself.

The first would be “Elephant,” by Jason Isbell. The song’s essentially about a guy and this girl (we perceive to be a drinking buddy that had some sort of attraction between them) that has cancer. Slowly, through the song, it gets sadder, and the cancer gets worse. She could talk at one point, she couldn’t as it went on. At the end, the lines go as followed:

“I've buried her a thousand times
Giving up my place in line
But I don't give a damn about that now
There's one thing that's real clear to me:
No one dies with dignity
We just try to ignore the elephant somehow”

While I didn’t have to endure someone like that dying of cancer, I’ve had numerous people in my family, and that I know, die of cancer. Particularly the “no one dies in dignity” hit me really hard, thinking of those who have passed. This song is really sad, really, really sad. It’s probably the crowning jewel of of Isbell’s career so far.

The other is more personal for me. The song, “Cleveland County Blues,” by John Moreland, hit me particularly hard in a very bad state I was going through in my life. I had been in a relationship with someone who really treated me terribly. But, I stayed with her for awhile, until she ended it in a way so terrible that I won’t state. I found this song after we broke up. What I will state about the relationship and breakup is this: this song summed up my relationship with that girl. The lyrics (along with Genuis.com’s analysis of the lyrics) was me. It was exactly me. And in a sense, it helped, but then brought up even more questions. Honestly, I can’t put a single line for this song. I have to put the entire song for it. For those curious, here’s a link to Genius’s lyrics with the analysis of them. It puts things into perspective better. John Moreland – Cleveland County Blues Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

So what about y’all? Let’s hear!

"Take Me to Church" by Hozier and "September-san" by Aimer

The former...I don't know if it was the song or the music video of it, but I was teary by the end of it. Before, I didn't know what to make out of the lyrics of the song, but after listening to it more...I somewhat...began to question. I don't know. I can't explain it well enough.

The latter...it was recommended to me by someone who I will soon part ways with, along with a lot of other people. After reading the English lyrics of it, I found out that it was about how love ones are separated apart still find joy and laughter with each other, even if they are not together (during summer or September, I am unsure.) It made me realize that I only have a few months left to see them before we all go our separate ways. It's going to be hard on all of us to find time to be together again, but until then, we shall try to connect through whatever means we can find. I will surely miss them all.

"Take Me to Church" by Hozier and "September-san" by Aimer

The former...I don't know if it was the song or the music video of it, but I was teary by the end of it. Before, I didn't know what to make out of the lyrics of the song, but after listening to it more...I somewhat...began to question. I don't know. I can't explain it well enough.

The latter...it was recommended to me by someone who I will soon part ways with, along with a lot of other people. After reading the English lyrics of it, I found out that it was about how love ones are separated apart still find joy and laughter with each other, even if they are not together (during summer or September, I am unsure.) It made me realize that I only have a few months left to see them before we all go our separate ways. It's going to be hard on all of us to find time to be together again, but until then, we shall try to connect through whatever means we can find. I will surely miss them all.
I’m sorry to hear about that last one. That’s rough. But I can understand what you’re saying. I never had to go through what it seems you will go through. But I can understand that feeling you get after listening to a song and reading the lyrics. Good luck with that situation. I wish you, that individual, and anyone who knows that individual, the best. God bless y’all.

Though you couldn’t really word your first one, I do understand what you mean completely. I myself often have trouble finding the right words for what I want to say lol

I’m sorry to hear about that last one. That’s rough. But I can understand what you’re saying. I never had to go through what it seems you will go through. But I can understand that feeling you get after listening to a song and reading the lyrics. Good luck with that situation. I wish you, that individual, and anyone who knows that individual, the best. God bless y’all.

Though you couldn’t really word your first one, I do understand what you mean completely. I myself often have trouble finding the right words for what I want to say lol
Heh, it's all good. We're planning to do all that we can together for these next few months. Next time, I will try to find words that will explain that first song, ahaha.
I'm sorry to hear that you were in such a, how I would say it, toxic relationship. I have not been able to experience such, but I wish you all the best, hope that you were able to cope, and I'm glad to hear that the song helped you. I can't say much about the first song you mentioned. I hope all goes well for you, and God bless to you as well.

Heh, it's all good. We're planning to do all that we can together for these next few months. Next time, I will try to find words that will explain that first song, ahaha.
I'm sorry to hear that you were in such a, how I would say it, toxic relationship. I have not been able to experience such, but I wish you all the best, hope that you were able to cope, and I'm glad to hear that the song helped you. I can't say much about the first song you mentioned. I hope all goes well for you, and God bless to you as well.
Thanks! I’m happy to say that I got out of that toxins relationship, and am in a new one, with someone who treats me like incredibly. So it all planned out. That song did help cope for awhile. I mean, it also raised more questions at times. But hey, I’m better now. So that’s al that matters!

Thanks! I’m happy to say that I got out of that toxins relationship, and am in a new one, with someone who treats me like incredibly. So it all planned out. That song did help cope for awhile. I mean, it also raised more questions at times. But hey, I’m better now. So that’s al that matters!
That's great to hear! I'm glad that you're doing well, and that you found someone to take good care of you. I hope those questions will be answered in time, and that it'll help you more in life.
Once again, good to hear you're happy in the relationship you're in.

We can just go on like this, or say the word, we'll call It quits baby, you can go or you can stay.. I wont love you either way.
Chris Stapleton

We should just kiss like real people do.
And another one for my boy Hozier! Short and sweet, just like the song. It's called Like Real People Do, about two broken people ignoring their broken-ness for just a moment, hanging onto each other to feel whole. Check it out.

"I hope my children come and visit once or twice a month"
By Once I Was Seven Years Old. It brought tears to my eyes with the way it was said.

"I hope my children come and visit once or twice a month"
By Once I Was Seven Years Old. It brought tears to my eyes with the way it was said.
It’s rather odd how one sentence in a song can hit you so hard. But it’s awesome when it does, honestly.

It’s rather odd how one sentence in a song can hit you so hard. But it’s awesome when it does, honestly.
Agreed. I think it's cuz I plan on having kids at one point, and this line with the sad tone reflects my own hopes for them. Along with that hope comes the fear that once they move out, I may never see or hear from them again.

You said stay in the car and wait/There's just some things I have to say/Don't you know I miss her, too/I miss her just as much as you

So my father and my son/As you end what she's begun/You'll lie patient by her side/With roses red come lilies white

I was too young to understand/The flowers slipping from your hands/I was too young to understand/I was too young to understand

-Above The Clouds Of Pompeii, Bear's Den

A couple lately:

The steady, almost ominous, bleak guitar chord, the weathered-sounding voice, and the first stanza did it for me. Has a kind of dark western outlaw feel.

Well up in the north where the cold winds blow
Over the prarie gold
There's a church bell screamin' on a steeple high,
Gather ye children of men.
One hand on the trigger,
One hand on the cross,
Jesus and his family are two things he's lost

In contrast, what really captured me in "The Lass of Glenshee" was the a capella style, and how his voice is very similar to a capella/folk style singing I heard from some practitioners in Ireland (although the song is Scottish I believe); plus just listening to the story in the song reeled me in. Would the 'lass of Glenshee' go along with him and marry? Would she like the lifestyle? Would she fall in love with a different, more simple man? I had to know!

Two songs, both good…

"What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful… What of the meek, the mourning, and the merciful… What of the righteous, what of the charitable, What of the truthful, the dutiful, the decent…"
Song: The Doomed
Artist: A Perfect Circle

"I have watched you fade in… You will watch me fade out… I have watched you fade in, you will watch me fade out, and when the grip leaves my hand I know you won't let me down! Go and find your way, and leave me in your wake! Always push through the pain, don't run away from change! Never settle, make your mark, hold your head up, follow your heart, follow your heart."
Song: Fade In / Fade Out
Artist: Nothing More

For The Doomed, I'm a Christian teen, definitely believing in my faith. The song itself sounds to me like a challenge, and it asks what if those who are good essentially, and says they are doomed and that those who do evil are blessed. And so the song feels wrong but it's very deep and hits me where it counts.

And for Fade In/Fade Out, one of my uncles recently passed away, before his father or mother but I heard the song not long after the service we had for him and… It made me realize how close some of the family I've come so used to seeing around may be leaving soon. The song itself is essentially about how a child saw that his father had grown old for the first time in his life and the father said what the lyrics I put up said. He had witnessed his son come into the world and so his son would witness him leave it. It continues on to the former child's view now as a father as he says the same to his son… It, just made me realize things and made me rather sad despite it's truth.

Last edited:
I cannot go to the ocean/I cannot drive the streets at night/I cannot wake up in the morning/Without you on my mind/So you're gone and I'm haunted/And I bet you are just fine/Did I make it that easy to walk right in and out/Of my life?

Goodbye, my almost lover/Goodbye, my hopeless dream/I'm trying not to think about you/Can't you just let me be?/So long, my luckless romance/My back is turned on you/Should've known you'd bring me heartache/Almost lovers always do

-Almost Lover by A Fine Frenzy

Lightning Crashes by Live

oh now feel it coming back again / like a rolling thunder chasing the wind
forces pulling from the center of the earth again / I can feel it

--

weirdly this hit me years after a pretty sad event in my life.

Love Only Knows - Josh Groban

This whole song (and much of this album, Illuminations) cut me deep while I was going through a rough season in my love life. When I listen to it now, it brings me back to that era of my life and makes me feel overwhelming gratitude for the stable, secure relationship I'm in now.

"Love only knows
If we'll give into fear and choose life undercover
She said love only knows if it's special enough then we'll choose one another
Love only knows, how your arms pull me in like the tide pulls me under
She said love only knows just how long we can run before we lose each other
And we need each other"

Father why have you forsaken me, in your eyes forsaken me, in your thoughts forsaken me, in your heart forsaken me~Chop suey by System of a Down

"If this night is not forever
At least we are together
I know I'm not alone
I know I'm not alone
Anywhere, whenever
Apart, but still together
I know I'm not alone
I know I'm not alone"
by Alan Walker

Come all you villains, come one and all/Come all you killers, come join the war/Come all you wasted, wretched, and scorned/Come on and face it, come join the war/Come climb the rafters, come out to space/Come for the answers, throw them away/Come kiss me stupid, come kiss me sore/Come find me standin’ under the wall/Come all you killers, come out to play/Everyone you know will all go away/Come all you wasting, wretched, and scorned/Come watch me standin' under the wall/Come all you children, come out to play/Everyone you love will all go away, hey, hey

-Pills by St. Vincent

Im sorry its not deep/or maybe it is...but the impact of these words cannot be questioned.

I wanna be the very best
Like no one ever was

To catch them is my real test
To train them is my cause

I will travel across the land
Searching far and wide

Each Pokemon to understand
The power that's inside
Pokemon, (gotta catch them all) its you and me
I know its my destiny
Pokemon, oh, you're my best friend
In a world we must defend