• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Help So Many Questions

Martzi

I'm a rather rusty programmer and I've never used BBCode before and have rarely played with graphics in the past, leaving me with SO many questions. Here are the most immediate, going from most general to most specific:
  1. How do I go about learning this language? I read the tutorial on here and the brief one on bbcode.org and they were helpful (well, mostly the one on here was, the one on bbcode.org was quite minimal) but there is SO MUCH that neither of these cover. Is there a list of functions and their parameters somewhere? Another tutorial I'm not seeing? How did you learn the language?
  2. I've been trying to code on the Private Workshop on this site so I'd see what it looks like on here and because I didn't feel like finding another place to code. But it keeps adding code when I post it???? Sometimes it seems like this is its way of fixing bugs but other times it seems entirely random. What's going on? Is there a way to stop it from doing this? Where do you generally write your BBCode? On site or somewhere else? If somewhere else - where?
  3. How do you make your code work on mobiles and devices sized differently than your own? Like, I thought 'columns' just divided your screen, however big, into 8 parts you could divvy up. But it seems that on my phone some of the column is in the next row??? Is there a way to fix this specific problem and/or a tactic for making your code work on other peoples' devices?
  4. Is there a way to change the opacity of the background image in a div?
  5. I have a div that scrolls (just using overflow-y:scroll, so maybe there's better ways) and it's got a big ugly scroll bar. I haven't decided if I want to sacrifice aesthetics for the practicality of actually indicating that there is more and the user needs to scroll. But the scroll bar is so close to the words it gets hard to read. Is there a way to get rid of this bar or to have a wider margin between it and the text?

If anyone can help me with any of the above questions or point me in the direction of an answer (you don't have to tackle all of them), that would be super helpful! Thanks!

How do I go about learning this language? I read the tutorial on here and the brief one on bbcode.org and they were helpful (well, mostly the one on here was, the one on bbcode.org was quite minimal) but there is SO MUCH that neither of these cover. Is there a list of functions and their parameters somewhere? Another tutorial I'm not seeing? How did you learn the language?
the more complex aspects of bbcode are primarily css injection! all divs are styled with the same properties as actual css, though other parts of coding that involve like interactivity use existing bbcode, like tabs or accordions alongside covering divs? if that makes sense! would recommend joining either of the bbcult or level up bbcoders discords, where there are a few tutorials created by other coders on this site and is a nice place for you to ask questions without feeling like you're shouting into the void c: if you're not comfortable going onto discord, searching for threads within the bbcode centre tagged with the [Help] prefix will also yield some pretty good results!

I've been trying to code on the Private Workshop on this site so I'd see what it looks like on here and because I didn't feel like finding another place to code. But it keeps adding code when I post it???? Sometimes it seems like this is its way of fixing bugs but other times it seems entirely random. What's going on? Is there a way to stop it from doing this? Where do you generally write your BBCode? On site or somewhere else? If somewhere else - where?
remember to turn on the bbcode editor mode, which is on your hotbar:
1RaXOMc.png

or else the real-time editor (RTE) will try to randomly complete tags that you've left open for you, usually doing a pretty poor job at guessing where said tags are supposed to go. being meticulous about closing your tags is also important, and will usually prevent this issue even if you are in RTE.

How do you make your code work on mobiles and devices sized differently than your own? Like, I thought 'columns' just divided your screen, however big, into 8 parts you could divvy up. But it seems that on my phone some of the column is in the next row??? Is there a way to fix this specific problem and/or a tactic for making your code work on other peoples' devices?
not completely sure what the specific issue you're referring to in your question is (do send a code, if you have one!), but there are a lot of different ways to make stuff mobile-compatible in general, i.e. flexboxes, using percentages/other responsive units, clamp, to name a few! all within the realm of css, although if you're not familiar with css at all i'd recommend figuring out the basics first before you worry about making stuff mobile-friendly. lots of people who decorate their posts with code also posts their content without code for those who are on other devices!

Is there a way to change the opacity of the background image in a div?
to my knowledge, no! you can, however, do a workaround to add a separate background to a div using the position property, making use of position:absolute; and position:relative;. my answer to a different thread more or less covers how this can work, just replace the colour with an image in the second solution.

I have a div that scrolls (just using overflow-y:scroll, so maybe there's better ways) and it's got a big ugly scroll bar. I haven't decided if I want to sacrifice aesthetics for the practicality of actually indicating that there is more and the user needs to scroll. But the scroll bar is so close to the words it gets hard to read. Is there a way to get rid of this bar or to have a wider margin between it and the text?
i'll direct you to this thread, which lists one way to do it! ( ̄ω ̄)/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back