• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

So.. I Lost a beautiful paragraph because...

The Confused Pixie

Lurking Dragon

Hello; Sam here.

Anyways.. To my issue; I have been working on a post off and on since about Tuesday. Everything was drafting fine; didn't lose any progress; everything was fine.

So Wednesday I noticed that when I went back to it later that day some of my paragraph was missing; no big deal; I had copied and pasted it into a word counter and it was still there so I felt lucky. I didn't really think anything about it because I didn't recall seeing the drafting thing so that could have been my bad.

Between Wednesday and Thursday I have whipped up a beautiful three perfect paragraphs of this incomplete master piece with about 5 more paragraphs to go; I had begun working on the forth one last night; nothing serious; just something to help the flow build and get a general idea of what I want to go on in my characters mind; any whoo; I saw it draft multiple times within that time period of writing. I got to my stopping point when I saw it draft again after deciding I was done.

I got on today and I'm back down to two paragraphs and I didn't put it in the word counter so I'm kinda at a loss; especially when I witnessed it draft multiple times before and when I got to my stopping point.

I'm really disappointed here.

So, the "recovery" feature isn't anything our site does. It's actually tied to the cookies in your computer. If your computer clears the cookies (which it does periodically), or you clear them manually, the post will have been erased. It's why we never suggest you use the recovery feature as your option for saving. It's unreliable and there is nothing we can do to make sure it is guaranteed to be saved (since everything is based on your computer system alone). There are tons of free Word-like programs like Open Office I would suggest you use because they will actually save to your computer, not to some temporary files.

Ack, that really sucks! RPN's done this to me too. I don't really know of any way to recover it, but the draft feature is, for me, spotty at best so I tend to either post my work as a WIP or save it in the private workshop.

Edit: Ninjad by the fast fox

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, I too have felt the bitter sting when my computer decides to eat all the cookies. I can only add to the suggestions above that you use the Private Workshop to save your posts so that you can edit and polish and perfect them prior to posting them on the site general.

Captain Hesperus

I would suggest that you type up your posts in a seperate place if you need more than one day to complete them.

Email sites are good - especially if you have outlook/hotmail or google.

As you can create word docs through the Word Online feature on outlook/hotmail ( click the three lines on the top right to access it )

You can you Google Drive to make documents on gmail. I believe it's accessed by the gear next to your name on the right.

Google Drive/Google Doc have the benefit of several add ons that help you keep proof read as well which are very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back