• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Sir Eward's Agency for the Paranormal and Occult

Being grabbed was a weird feeling, but he let it happen, not really in any place to fight anything. Hearing the question being asked he'd started off for a bit, trying to get the puzzle pieces right in his head but it felt like his memory had been scrambled with someone else's things that didn't line up and weren't quite right all mixed in. "El... el... er... al? ... Alden... Alden Eward..." Looking down he was pretty sure that was the right name... because he didn't quite feel like Elizabeth would fit. But as he did so he also saw his hands, fingertips covered in blood and the nails that weren't gone ruined at the least. His eyes widened, looking between them and up to Ross wondering how his body had gotten in this state, quite confused and now panicking even more. "How... what... what..." there was little more he got out as his breath became rather frantic, quickly working toward hyperventilation.

Seeing Alden's eyes widen, Ross grabbed his wrists gently letting him know it was okay "Hey, Hey its okay" honestly it wasn't but Ross needed Alden to calm down "We'll figure out what happened to you I promise, you'll be fine" he spoke with a calm voice hoping it was reassuring him just a little. He needed to deal with Alden's fingers, unfortunately Ross had no experience dealing with these types of wounds. Ross moved away from Alden, putting his shirt back on "Okay Alden, I'm going to take you to a doctor okay? Just keep calm and stay near me. Deep breaths okay" he opened the door to where Alden should've been sleeping, he grabbed Alden's hand being kind of thankful he wouldn't complain while he did so. He lead him out of their room, walking down the hall he continued till he got down to the front desk where the hostess would normally be. "Excuse me! My friend is hurt and we need a doctor! Can you please help us?!" He shouted hopefully waking up the hostess of the inn. InsanEleven InsanEleven

Alden just kind of let it happen to him, having too much on his mind to really be able to take in what was happening in full. Staring off besides Ross he seemed not quite responsive in the way he should, his mind overtaken by the attempt to place memories, very invasive memories. He definitely appeared out of it at least, and though the blood on his hands had been slowly stopping, it didn't look too appealing at that point in time.
The door behind the desk started to shake though, clearly someone there who had indeed woken up at Ross' yelling, and a man in a night gown holding a candle came out from the other side.
"What is going on here? What happened?"

"Sorry for waking you up but my friend hurt his hands and he needs help." Ross really didn't want to try and explain the real reason on how Alden hurt his fingers so he just had to come up with a convincing lie "He suffers from night terrors and occasionally hurts himself during his sleep, please can you help or get a doctor?" his voice sounded completely concerned. He turned his attention back to Alden who looked completely out of it, Ross really needed to try and help Alden regain his memories but he could do that during getting his wounds checked out. Ross had no idea what was going on inside of Alden's head but what ever happened to him had shaken him up pretty badly "Please sir can you help us?" InsanEleven InsanEleven

Last edited:
"We are but a small town, so there is no such thing as a doctor. Although a travelling priest has made his house in the church in the center of town, he is said to have a gift with wounds and ailments. Let me get you some clean towels to stop the sir's bleeding, then you can ready your wagon." The host had put the candle down and looked under the cabinets for clean cloths, while he let Ross prepare to go down into the village by cart.

A short while later Alden sat beside Ross on the top of the carriage, a spare jacket around him to keep him warm, and a towel on his lap so his fingers would stop bleeding. He was pale and leaning against Ross, occasionally mumbling to himself, sometimes in panic when a bad memory came over him that he had to quickly place and snap out of

Last edited:
Ross kept Alden close letting him lean on him, he moved his hand to the top of Alden's head gently rubbing his head hoping to relax him during his short panics. "Almost there Alden, just stay awake okay" Ross really hoped Alden didn't remember most of this after, he really did not want to have the conversation of why Ross had held his hand through most of that or why he was doing half of the stuff he did. He hoped they would get to this priest soon so that Alden could regain some color in his cheeks, "Excuse me Sir how much longer? My friend isn't looking so good." InsanEleven InsanEleven

"Not too much longer, just around the street." The innkeep had driven up the horses now trotting through the empty streets of town, until they had reached the church. It was small, a simple building with thick walls and little decoration, placed in the centre of town. The innkeep left the carriage right before the a wooden door to the living quarters. "How is he doing?" The man had thrown a glance back at Alden, who only seemed to have gotten paler, the moonlight on his skin barely having any difference in colour. "Never mind..." Not waiting for an answer he had moved to the door giving a few hard knocks. "Father Robert! Father Robert!"
It took a while before someone had reached the door, even if when they did the light shimmered with haste behind the small windows. With loud noises the old locks opened, and the oaken door swung wide revealing a tall man with half-long, ash blonde hair and a thick but well kept beard. He looked late thirties, early forties, and assessed the situation with an iron gaze, except for a short moment when he noticed Alden, a little spark of recognition popping up before he quickly hid that below the same iron of before.
"What is the meaning of all this?"
"The boy, he has fallen ill father, a night terror, or so he says." The innkeeper pointed toward Ross, who was still holding the very pale Alden.

Last edited:
More worried about Alden at the current moment rather than who this person was "My friend hurt himself badly during one of his night terrors, I just need some help with his wounds. Please help him" Ross continued with the lie not wanting to say the truth especially to some strangers, with Alden had looked like he had gotten worse rather than better which made Ross worry a little more. He actually started feeling a little helpless at that current moment "Look I'm happy to pay whatever the cost for your help, just can you at least help him?" he pleaded, noticing Alden feeling weak while Ross held him up he decided it would be a little easier for himself just to carry Alden. With a quick motion, Ross swept his arm underneath Alden's legs supporting his back with his other arm letting Alden's head rest on his shoulder. He was not expecting how light he actually was but it made it easy for him to carry him to help. He only now just realized why Alden mentions no emotional attachments earlier, seeing him like this was not exactly fun and he didn't want Alden to continue being like this. InsanEleven InsanEleven

Father Robert had just given a swift nod, seeing how grim Alden looked. "It's fine son, I require no money for the Lord's work. Join me inside, and be careful with him." Then he had nodded toward the innkeep, grateful for his help. "Thank you, Jameson, I am sure the Lord will reward your good deed and not forget your kindness, now go in safety." He had sent the man off, who gave an understanding and thankful nod back. "Thank you father."

Once inside, this kind demeanour seemed to have changed for more stern necessity, the father placing a hand on Ross shoulder guiding him quickly throughout the halls toward a silent back room with a single bed and several closets full of materials, mostly vials and other things put in pots and glass jars, but also some more unorthodox things as crosses and several holy symbols. "Put him down on the bed. We both know these aren't night terrors, this is far more serious is it not? That glassy stare looks an awful lot like forced mental invasion, of the godless kind. Tell me what happened, all the details you know." The father had already moved over to the cabinets and sifted through vials looking for a particular item.

Ross placed Alden down gently on the bed, standing beside it not moving an inch. He sighed running his fingers through his hair "Yeah, its not night terrors... He entered my room, started scratching at the door then moving to the walls everywhere he touched left dark marks on the wall. I can't tell you what they were it was a bit hard to see" he was trying to remember specific details stuff that would be important to say "He kept saying like he wanted to go back home 'he'll be back... take me home', he also said something about light being bad and that he should stay in the dark..." he sighed "That's all happened really, I kinda slapped him out of it and he snapped out of it immediately. He seems to have lost his memory, he knows his name but I don't know what else he remembers. He didn't recognize me at first" he felt bad for slapping Alden back then but he kind of had no choice in the matter since he would've continued to hurt himself if he didn't. InsanEleven InsanEleven

Father Robert shot a compassionate glance at Ross, knowing it was not easy to deal with the paranormal, and Ross definitely did not seem experienced in the least. "You tried your best, these kind of things are tricky. Luckily he is not in any life threatening state, this is more or less an after shock those with the sixth sense experience when they have been forced to take on a spirit, or any other forced invasion of their mind. You slapping him must have been just enough to close of this sense for a moment through other sensations, although you can talk them out of it as well most of the time." Father Robert continued to rummage through the cabinet, until he had found what he needed. A small glass vial with a clear liquid, the label obscured in the father's hands, but the syringe that accompanied it seemed foreboding enough. "Alright, I'd like you to hold his arm and make sure he is still, this will clear his mind for a while and allow him to calm down. It will give him time to place the experience, his memory should be alright after this, although he might not remember much of the episode."

"Thank you, I have only really just joined him in this journey really and this was my first experience with something this major." He was kind of glad the ghost that was bothering him for so many years wasn't the same as whatever had possessed Alden, Ross doubted he would still be around if that was the case. Looking at the needle and the vial he held in his hand Ross gave Father Robert a slight nod, looking back down at Alden he figured it best that he shouldn't remember what had happened completely. He leaned over grabbing Alden's arm tight enough that he wouldn't move, pulling up his sleeve slightly so that Father Robert could easily stick in the needle without much hassle. "Roughly how long will it take for him to recover from this?" Ross asked, he made it seem like it wouldn't take long but it was better that he asked. InsanEleven InsanEleven

Father Robert gave Ross a look over, but whatever he was thinking he decided to keep it to himself. "I can't quite tell. His fingers? The nails will eventually grow back. His mind? He might be good after a night of deep sleep, but I cannot tell without knowing what it was he saw, because it might come back to him for a long while." Having more pressing matters on his mind with Alden in this state, he did not elaborate any further. Readying the needle with the solution from the vial he looks for a vein to inject, carefully selecting one so he doesn't miss. With Ross holding Alden still his occasional mild panic doesn't affect his arm, which stays still. A single precise prick and the priest moves the needle in, slowly letting the fluid drain into Alden.
Within a few heartbeats the morphine has spread, but it takes a while for it to really get to full effect. Pupils dilating and the panic turning into a rather blissful yet equally absent smile. His eyes drift between things that are not there, but they appear to be nice at least, trying to grab at them with bloody fingers which he did not mind in the slightest.

"There you go kid, now lets fix those hands." Father Robert rummaged some more through the cabinet, this time finding bandages and several tools. "If you are squeamish you should better wait outside, I might have to remove some nails too badly broken."

Last edited:
Ross shakes his head, letting go of Alden's arm to stand up straight "I'll be fine, I'm more tired than anything else." he wasn't squeamish in the least but the thought of nails being removed wasn't what Ross would call exactly fun to watch. He rubbed his eyes trying to at least stay awake for the time being, he was relieved that Alden was no longer panicking and starting to relax a little even if it was because of the fluid in his system but since it was working Ross really didn't care. "Do you want me to continue holding his arm down while you tend to his fingers?" knowing that he was going to have to remove some of the nails, he figured getting Alden to stay still during that process was not going to be easy for one person to handle. InsanEleven InsanEleven

"He should be fine now the morphine is working, he won't feel a thing. But just to be safe you could." Father Robert waited for Ross to hold Alden's arm down, before grabbing a set of rather evil looking tools. Inspecting one of Alden's hands first he sighed a bit, looking the broken nails over. "You see," the father pointed at two nails which had been split and partially broken off. "The whole nail coming off isn't too much of a problem, it grows back eventually. But in this case I have to cut them out to the part where they are whole again, so they can heal properly and grow back. Some of them might fall off anyway, but in any case this is going to be a bit of work." The father picked one of the tools and began to do this gruesome job, slowly pulling, tearing and cutting until the worst nails had been fixed, after which they got bandaged up. Alden didn't seem to feel a thing, although he did occasionally give a glassy but happy stare at Ross giggling a little about one thing or another. Sometimes he mumbled happily, but nothing of the process of getting his torn up nails fixed apparently reached him.

Last edited:
Ross looked over at Alden while he held his arm so Father Robert could finish up the job easily, he couldn't help but chuckle a little at Alden's blank stare and his little giggles. Ross knew he shouldn't be taking pleasure out of Alden being completely out of it but it was the only time he actually saw Alden crack a proper smile. He turned to Father Robert "Thank you again for helping him" Ross wanted to mention his thought about payment again but decided to stay quiet considering what he had said earlier about payment.
"So.. I have a question for you, what exactly is he? Or what is happening to him?" Ross was completely confused by this all, Alden hadn't mention anything like this happening while they were travelling and he wanted answers not really caring about who he got the answers from since Alden wasn't exactly going to share details with Ross. InsanEleven InsanEleven

Having fixed Alden's hands the best he could, Father Robert had sat down in a chair near the desk in the corner. The last of his 'tools' he'd taken out was a square bottle of brownish liquid that smelled familiarly like heavy alcohol. Pouring a small glass for himself the man took a good sip of it. He gave Ross a sideways glance again, but then sighed. Clearly he wasn't having the best if nights being woken up to having to pull nails.
"I'm not surprised he didn't tell you son, to be fair the only thing I am surprised about is that he trusted you enough to take you with him. You called him your 'friend' but Alden doesn't do friendship, mostly because people just don't tend to work with his abilities. What is happening to him is that he is a clairvoyant, a very strong one at that, and this isn't the first nor the last time you'll see him like this. But it is a valuable skill to have... he knows that. Yet it's a lonely one, because on a bad day he'll know everything you've ever thought, there are very few willing to deal with that. Not to speak of the work he does..."

Last edited:
Ross chuckled looking down at Alden, "Trusting me is kind of a stretch so is calling each other friends, I only called him that to get him medical attention quickly. I had asked him to help me with a ghost problem I was having in my home and as payment I'm helping him in return. I'm more of a helpful service to him than anything, I was also told no emotional attachments... I guess it makes more sense now that you say he is a clairvoyant." now thinking about it, Alden knowing what Ross's father used to call him as well as the fact Ross used to find ways of crawling into the walls of their old home makes complete sense if he can know everything that Ross has ever thought in his entire life. "I guess I should get used to this happening then, if this won't be the last time I see him like this..."

"The fact that he reacted like this on the first night means there is something very strong going on here, stronger than we had expected. We had wanted to have him seer the place we believed to be haunted, but that's impossible when he is in this state. We can't put him through it a second time so soon." Father Robert had put his bottle away, using a rag to clean the blood off of his hands. Taking out a journal he say down again, ready to write down notes.
"What did you say that happened? I want every detail, and tomorrow morning we will look at the room and figure out the whole image. We need to know what has been going on in this town, and soon..."

Last edited:
Ross tried thinking of more details than he spoke of earlier "Well it started out with him scratching on my door but not from the outside he was in my room scratching at the door but I didn't hear him come in. While scratching on the door he kept mumbling 'Home... he'll be back... take me home'... He wasn't walking not normally either, he was dragging himself? I guess?" trying to remember specifics was a little hard but Ross managed. "He continued doing that till he reached the other wall, that's where the dark marks appeared. He continued to mumble saying 'No light.. bad light.. stay in the dark' which he then continued to repeat dragging his fingers across the wall and that's about it I slapped him before he could continue any more" that was about all Ross could remember up to the point, he looked over to Father Robert "I assume you would like me to stay out of the way and just observe as well?" he didn't know if his rules were the same as Alden's but he figured it best to ask at least.

"Observe unless you have anything useful to add. How was he dragging himself and speaking? Was there something specific you could make up from that about what possessed them?" Father Robert had hastily written down everything Ross had said, noting it in the journal. He appeared concerned as he wrote it, sometimes underlining things that were written down.

Last edited:
Ross sighed "His voice sounded troubled and not quite his own voice. And he while he was dragging across the room, it looked painful. He was using his practically every part of his body to move, he was practically throwing himself to get to the other wall... it looked painful and unnatural. He looked directly at me and paid no mind to me what so ever well his eyes were rolled all the way into the back of his head but he still looked directly at me." Since Ross couldn't sense the paranormal, he couldn't tell him what it was or even guess at what possessed Alden, he thought about maybe a ghost but a different level than what he was personally used to but he didn't mention it considering Alden and Father Robert were professionals and he was just an observer.

"It sounds like one of the victims," Father Robert's face darkened as he spoke, in deep thoughts when he made this observation. "One of them might be near the inn... that's how it reached his mind. We need to purge the grounds tomorrow, perhaps we can even find the body." He added the last notes to the journal, closing it.
Standing up the father gave a look over toward Alden, who was still flying high like a kite across the morphine sky. Then toward Ross, a little bit more stern and thoughtful. "You two will stay in the church tonight. The grounds are secure; it will allow for a safe remainder of the night. Tomorrow morning we will set back out to the inn, you and I, then we will find who it was that haunted Alden tonight."

Barnoldswick 1867 15 October
Tonight the Lord had delivered Alden Eward into my care, although He appeared to not have protected him from the dark forces at work in this town. Quaint on the surface, our worst fears have become true now he too has sensed the evil at work in Barnoldswick, and I do not believe it was even directly so. The boy's God given ability again proves useful... but no human mind should have such a sight as his, the state he arrived in less than ideal. I can only hope that now all three of us are here, Barnoldswick can be freed from its curse.

At sunrise the priest had gathered with Ross, an hour's walk ahead of them to the top of the hill where the inn rested. It was still calm when they arrived, although in such a place like this that could be said of anything. Out of season and with no patronage there at nine in the morning nobody would expect it to be busy, there was a bit of commotion though in the downstairs dining hall, with the innkeeper trying to keep the very few guests that were there down. A man in a deep green coat, top hat on inside, and a lady sitting with the most sour face man - or in this case woman - could muster.
"I understand your concern Sir, but it was only a one time issue, of course you and your wife's night rest is important but can you not forgive an accident?"
"What kind of accident happens in the middle of the night like that? My wife is terribly sensitive to blood she will not want to stay here a day longer if you cannot lift her concerns."
"Sir, with all due respect, but you cannot expect of me to throw a paying client out because your wife demands so... ah Father Robert... you can go ahead."
"No Father, perhaps you are right on time to deal with this matter, if not for my voice then for the voice of God." The man in the green coat seemed to have felt this was his chance to prove himself right, much to the disdain of the father, who just mouthed at Ross to stay where he was while he figured out what to do with this.
"I would kindly like to remind you of the fact that the Lord is not a settler of quabbles and quarrels... but very well, what is the issue at hand?"
"Last night there was a disturbance at the inn, but the innkeeper does not wish to hear our complaints, he,-"
"That is not true sir, I have even offered them full compensation for the remainder of their stay here, but they only wish for me to kick out the boy."
"Is that so?"
"How can we stay comfortably here when my wife is afraid to even near her room, she wakes up this morning, happy as can be, but then, as she walks through the hallway, she spots the most ghastly sight! Blood!," His wife had a little reaction it seemed to the story, her mouth puckering up so far that had it gone any further it'd moved inwards instead. "The poor woman has not been the same since... how can you expect me to let that go by without a stride?"
"If this is such a problem, why do you not stay at the inn at the other side of Barnoldswick?"
"Well it's the principle father..."
"Well in principle, the Lord does not look kindly upon those who have no compassion or kindness to spare, I trust Jameson has offered you plenty of compensation, for he is a good man, but I can wonder the same about you... or your wife for that matter. If she cannot handle a drop of blood then womanhood might be too unkind for her still..."
"A drop? A drop?! Oh you will not lecture me on the Lord when you refuse to listen to His people. I pray, I go to church, and I am no liar when I say that there was... blood... everywhere."
"And I am no liar when I say there is a second inn in town, take the compensation from the man, then leave, this is no matter to quarrel hours over."

Father Roberts, Ross and Jameson had the pleasure of watching the man in the green coat leave shaking his finger as he went through the door spouting words about impoliteness and the corruption of the clergy.
"Do you think I might have gone too far? Diplomacy was never my strong suit."
"Oh no father... I think you were quite in your right. What was it now?"
"A blown up, mismade bullfrog that couldn't take apart a lemon and a wife..."
"Sounds about right..."
"Yep..." The two men snickered for a little bit.
"So I am safe to say you did not change anything in the room?"
"No father, I expected you would like to see this untouched."
"You had been right, take this for your... loss..." Father Roberts took out a pouch from within his vestment, took out a pound and tossed it towards the innkeep, having more important business to do than dealing with a frog infestation he'd already been halfway by the stairs when he got a reply.
"Thank you very kindly Father!" He simply waved the thanks away, while he took Ross upstairs.
"You really need Alden for the diplomacy, although I'd like to wager my method works as well." The father had given a wink at Ross, hoping to ease the mood in between dealing with awful clientele and an infestation of the evil paranormal. "Now let's see what got to him yesterday..."

Last edited:
Ross's lips curled as the Father spoke about the woman not being able to handle womanhood if she couldn't handle the sight of blood, trying to stop himself from chuckling he turned his head and tried to think about something else rather than focusing on what the Father had said.

Ross chuckled a little bit at the Fathers comment "Alden does most of the talking to be frank with you and he has quite the way with words if I do say so" he commented, thinking back to the time he had used his wit against Ross when he had flirted with him the first time. It still surprised him that such a small and polite person had such a sarcastic underside to him but Ross returned to the matter at hand. He led Father Robert to Alden's room where it had all happened, opening the door he walked inside and walked towards where his part of the room was located. He gestured inside for Father Robert "This is where it all happened, I hope it tells you something."

It did indeed tell something, not in the least because the room was slightly messy, especially the bedsheets being wrapped and twisted in all sorts of manners, and the blood stains near the door. By now the blood had already dried, but it was clear Alden had been busy. Father Robert pointed at the sheets, then the door.
"It looks like Alden spent a long time of his possession in the bed? At the least he must have had somewhat of a nightmare before, but you also said he scratched at the door?" Walking toward it, Father Robert opened it slightly, revealing the scratches at the inside. A circle scratched into the wood, eyes on the inside, but they had been scratched out afterwards. "He must have broken his nails by doing this... but I've never seen this symbol. It is nothing demonic, and it is not the evil eye because there are two eyes..." Father Robert had taken out a notebook and quickly drew the symbols.
"Scratched out eyes, it might mean blindness. Perhaps the ghost tried to tell us it was blind." He turned around toward the wall where Alden had written the words. "No light, stay in the dark. That's a warning, no doubt, if I am right and Alden channelled one of the victims, it might be warning us or telling us something about this case. But it is so odd it happened here, the place we think this all comes from is on the opposite side of town, on the other hill. Evil energies don't normally reach this far, so something near here must be the source of all this. Perhaps you should be glad for that... or you,-" Father Robert had turned around to face Ross, but instead his eyes fell upon something else, toward the ceiling. Immediately he got up, a hand reaching out to protect and pull back Ross.
"That was not there before, was it?" Staring up at the ceiling, a dark black liquid appeared to seep through, but it was odd. Like it had no actual corporal liquid with it, it behaved like one, shaping a stain in the ceiling looking awfully much like a human body. Once it had been noticed, it drained... back out the ceiling, vanishing and leaving it clear and spotless as it had been before. "Alright kid, this is definitely a ghost, and it does not seem hostile, but just in case, I want you to have this." Reaching in his vestments, he pulled out a small necklace, a pendant around it. Within it was engraved an intricate sigil of circles and dots. "It's a simple sigillum dei, it should make you less of a target to hostile entities. Take it, don't lose it while we're here."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back