Signature Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyotekin

Catalytic Diplomat
Can we please see about getting a policy on signature size? I've seen several signatures that end up taking most of a web page, ending up being 5-10 times the size of their own post. If someone wants to keep things please be considerate and put it inside of a spoiler so that if anyone is interested they can take a look, and you keep the signature stuff that you want.

I agree - a general rule of thumb is if you can make a two or three line post and still fill up a monitor at 720p resolution, your signature might be a little big. Simply spoilering everything but maybe a quote or a handful of character or game links might be nice. I trimmed my sig recently because 5 lines seemed to be a bit big and distracting in some threads.

One other thing some people might consider: a lot of the signatures that are excessive don't use a lot of their horizontal space. If you put your images or banners side-by-side, you could probably halve the size of some of these sigs and still keep 100% of their content.

I actually removed my two line signature because I found it too distracting. As a suggestion, might it be possible to have a setting within each member profile to not show any signatures? I understand this may take a bit of coding and/or hunting the net for the patch to add it.

ghoti115 said:
I actually removed my two line signature because I found it too distracting. As a suggestion, might it be possible to have a setting within each member profile to not show any signatures? I understand this may take a bit of coding and/or hunting the net for the patch to add it.
There's already a preference (go up to your name and click on Preferences) to not show signatures. Fourth checkbox under Options. Looks like it's working.

I think there really should be a limit on how big signatures are, even with the ability to not see signatures...

Signatures surely carry important information, or at least information we want to share, I wouldn't to take that away from anyone. I'm just saying that there should come a limit to how much real estate they should command. Sometimes the total signature space in a single page of a thread is more than the posts themselves take. For signatures that are bigger than 5 or 6 text lines, there's an easy to use spoiler tag.

I'm sitting here watching your snail repeatedly fly away instead of pressing Post Reply, Haku. I think you're undermining my argument with your extraordinarily distracting signature, but there's a snail with a jet engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back