Side Story: Bad Ending - Complete

AtlannianSpy

Alarmed and Strangerous
Sitting in the sands of the Land of Wind a boy pulled out a notepad atop a rock, clicking his pen on and off.

“Man, what’s my next play going to be about. Hmm. A tired boy making it big? A tragedy? A comedy? How about an enemy ninja lying in wait for little ol’ Jun.” As he said that, he clicked his pen, looking troubled. Behind him, a large wooden box opened, several blades seemingly floating out of it. “Come out, I know you’re there! I gotta get back before Ai kills me, so whatever you want for me, get a move on.”

“Well they say write what you know don’t they?” A head of bright, green harid appeared above the edge of a nearby sand dune. Hotaru smiled disarmingly. “On the other hand there’s nothing so timeless as a good tragedy.”

Water Release: Bombardier Beetle Spray To the left and slightly ahead of the boy another face emerged from underneath the sand, a clone planted there earlier. WIthout warning a wide spray of water erupted from the clone’s mouth towards the boy. The clone would try to burrow deeper to escape retaliation, but while it was weaving the handseals for subterranean voyage it was vulnerable to immediate counter attack. Meanwhile Hotaru herself ducked back behind the dune and moved to the right as far as she would be covered by it. Even as short as she was, Hotaru had to stoop to stay out of sight but her moths had no such problem, using the ripples in the sand to flank around from the left and come up behind their target.

The boy seemed taken by complete surprise, just able to hold his hands above his head against the acid which splattered across him. A brief sizzling was heard, before his hand dropped, revealing wood paneling under a wig which had been thoroughly destroyed. The puppet collapsed, now thoroughly useless.

“What?!”

Three blades shot after the clone, piercing through the sand to reach it. 5 others started to rotate violently in the air, becoming like fans. 2 of them chased after the occasional moth, but three stayed protectively around the area, rotating around the destroyed puppet.The puppet still managed to talk without a mouth however.

“Who are you and what do you want? I ain’t going down so easily!”

It’s made of wood… a puppet...hmm. It seems logical that the user would be inside that box. Hotaru thought, her moths were certainly picking up a bucket load of chakra from the box, there was definitely something in there. More of Hotaru’s moths emerged from her bag. Some she charged with chakra to increase their speed and lend cutting power to their wings, while some were loaded up with larvae that would attempt to tunnel into the wooden box and drain chakra from whatever was inside it. At a signal from Hotaru the moths commenced their two tiered assault, the chakra enhanced moths made swooping, slashing dives at the box while above, the other moths simply dropped their larvae down onto it like tiny bombers. In the midst of all this it might have been smarter to keep quiet, but Hotaru did have a role to play after all.

“I’m from Konohagakure,” she called, over the dune. “And I’m here to kill you,”

“I can’t die! I have so many things to do! So many plays to write, girls to kiss, missions to do. So… why don’t you die instead!” Several of the moths would become shredded by the ceiling fan known as Jun’s blades. Initially the moth’s divebombing it would simply smash into it, little damage done, but as chakra was drained from the box, deeper and deeper cuts were made from it. The box shuddered after a while, but then the first insect pierced it, finding nothing inside.

Hotaru frowned when her moths reported back on the disappearance of their expected target. The most likely scenario was that he had buried underground, being a Suna nin, it would be logical for him to have a technique suited to navigate the desert like that. This presented a bit of a problem,his blades would definitely have the advantage over her moths underground if Hotaru tried to pursue him. On the other hand if she stayed above ground and he simply chose to flee at this moment Hotaru would be hard pressed to stop him.

One thing was for sure, she couldn’t just be a sitting duck. Hotaru wove some handseals and produced an insect clone, who she handed two explosive tags to. She repeated this process twice then all three clones sunk underground with subterranean voyage. If they found their opponent, they would detonate their tag, if they were destroyed Hotaru would detonate it for them. For herself Hotaru summoned yet more moths and had them circle around her densely. The intention being simply that she would be harder to hit if her enemy tried to take a shot with his floating blades.

Hearing the mass of moths move more densely in a location away from him, Jun moved. In an explosion of sand, he emerged from the ground, starting a series of handsigns, then throwing his hands forward. With the throw of his right hand, the box literally flew at the center of the mass of moths. Crashing right behind it, a shadow hid waiting to spring itself on her.

The box wasn’t exactly a subtle projectile, so although the box’s width took out a sizeable chunk of moths, Hotaru was able to dive out of the way; however that meant she was on the ground when she felt presence nearby moving to attack her. Hotaru directed her remaining moths to swarm whatever it was, she didn’t have time to tell whether this was the boy or a puppet. Hotaru rolled onto her back and tensed to try and kick away whatever came at her, it was a clumsy defense but it might buy her a few precious seconds for her moths to weaken the attacker. If she was dealing with a puppet here, then she still needed only a few more seconds while her clones rushed to deliver their lethal payout to the other presence that had emerged from the sand some distance away.

The figure seemed to be Jun, who turned, simply aiming its arms at Hotaru. In a poof, transformation faded, revealing the puppet. Spring loaded swords shot out of them directly at her, aimed at her neck and torso. Back at the place Jun’s coffin had been, the boy stood panting, his coffin and puppet both gone, stripping away much of his defense.

“You can’t win if you don’t go all out. I’ve got to win, I’ve got people back home waiting for me. Sorry Leaf-nin.”

Hotaru twisted desperately in place, turning two certain kills into a nasty gash on her neck and a deep slash across her side

At that moment the first of the clones reached where Jun was standing, surfaced just enough to grab one of Jun’s ankles and detonated its tag, a second later the other two appeared and self destructed as well, rocking the area with a set of three explosions.

“What!?”

Jun stomped on its hand, trying to jump out the way as several massive explosions went off around him, blasting the entire area with smoke and sand. As they settled, it started to rain sand across the area. Left in the middle of a crater, Jun was on all fours coughing and panting for air, burns covering his entire body, and much of his skin shredded by the blasts.

Hotaru sat up slowly, clutching her side. Some of her larvae were working to cover the wound with silk and anaesthetic powder but until they were done she needed to keep the pressure on.

“My going all out…always looks different to everybody else’s,” Hotaru said slowly, wincing as she stood up and stretched over to pick up her kunai. “People have never understood that, they think just because I’m not charging in like some musclehead or earnestly following the exact letter of their instructions I’m not taking things seriously or being lazy,”Hotaru’s progress across the rolling sands was slow, and she left a small trail of red droplets in her wake, but she was still faster than Jun was in his current state and closed the gap between them steadily. “But I’ve always been willing to put everything on the line to advance my beliefs, I wouldn’t even be here otherwise. It’s just about making calculated risks, knowing when to hold back and when to risk it all,”

Hotaru put a hand on Jun’s shoulder and then thrust down with the kunai into his neck. It was over quickly, that much seemed fair at least. As soon as it was done Hotaru dropped the kunai and felt something brush against her leg. She flinched wildly, adrenaline from the fight keeping her antsy still, but it was only the notepad the boy had been writing in earlier, the wind pushing it up against her bare leg.Plays weren’t really Hotaru’s thing, she was more of a non fiction reader, but flicking through the notepad, what was written there was pretty good. Her victim had had an evocative eye for detail and his dialogue was snappy, it was a shame he hadn’t gotten around to the ending.

Then he was killed by a shinobi of the leaf

Hotaru added in her own, neat script at the bottom of the last page. It probably wasn’t the ending the boy had had in mind, it wasn’t an ending either the Sand or the Leaf would be happy to hear either. Well, life wasn’t a play. This was deep enough into the Land of Wind that Suna forces would find the body eventually so Hotaru needed to get moving, on top of her planned journet she would have to detour a few miles before turning back towards her destination so that her tracks lead back into the land of Fire. HOtaru sighed tiredly at the thought of it. There probably wasn’t anyone waiting for her to come back anymore, maybe he should have won?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back