• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy SHOGUN_

Kolchao

Pizza Boy Extraordinaire

In a land now cursed with eternal night, the iron order of the Shogun has been sapped for the first time in over a century.

The Yokai of ancient times and tales have been reawakened and brought back into the world. And with them… war.

But in times of darkness… heroes are born.

Your methods, your beliefs, your motives, be they noble or cunning, exist only for the sake of your ruler.

Whether you fight for peace, or seek profit in war, you are all bonded by the Iron Will.

You fight for one.

You fight for the Shogun.

At least that's what the back of the box says…

So you, the casual MMO player / hardcore gamer / slightly curious guy started playing or has been playing Shogun, the recent, simple, but extremely entertaining MMORPG? Boy did you get in trouble!

Set in a feudal Japan-like environment, Shogun came out close to 8 months ago as your average MMO game. It quickly grew on subscribers, becoming a rather "meta" choice not only for hardcore streamers and lets players, but also as a first stepping stone for people new to MMOs in general. Naturally, the game's setting and ambience was also a massive cock tease for a certain group of sweaty enthusiasts.

Otakus.

It didn't take long for it to become one of the most popular MMOs of the time, and a new expansion was already being announced to launch in a couple of months. All in all, it was a great success.

But imagine one day you open your computer, pop up the login screen and before you notice you're no longer in your messy basement-like bedroom in your pajamas, but instead you're clad tight in armor, holding a dangerous weapon, in a faraway feudal Japan-like land! Actually you don't have to imagine, it did happen.

You heard me! Your little in-game avatar? He's not there, you're in his place, flesh and bone.

"How did this happen?!"

Good question! Will you find out? Maybe, if you survive long enough, but will you survive? Now that's the million dollar question!

"No problem, my character was the strongest on the server!"

Yes, your in-game avatar might have been the most powerful hero in the land, but you? You're just a poor sap who plays video games. You can't swing a katana like a veteran samurai, or make a masterful fire spell. What, you think this is a video game? Tough luck, this is the real world, baby! At least now it is, for you.

Now now, don't panic, for not all is bad.

It's true, you are not a trained hero, but this world, despite now being very real, it is still different from our world is some aspects.

Your avatar was a samurai? Well, what if I told you that, because of that, you hold great affinity for the samurai ways?

Yours was a monk? You're no different, of course you hold the powers of one within you!

You have taken the place of your avatar. You now hold his armor and weapons, but his knowledge and experience are his own only. Just like him, you'll have to learn all of your abilities once more. The one main difference is that your avatar learned them with a click of a button, while you won't be so lucky. You want to survive? Then train hard!

"What if my avatar used magic?"

It's no different! In this world, magic is a real energy, you just have to learn to harness it, like your avatar did. The hard way, of course.

To learn your abilities you must seek the aid of a trainer. It is possible to learn on your own, but without proper guidance, you might be shooting your own feet instead of actually learning something.

"I remember my abilities from the game and their effects, will that make it easier to learn them?"

Well, it won't make the training easier (maybe just a tiny, tiny bit), BUT it's a significant advantage on learning and training by yourself. Having at least a concrete idea of what you're doing is the first step to learn on your own.

"Is it easier if my avatar was high level?"

Not really. Training is up to a person's perseverance and dedication. Some can learn faster than others, regardless of what level they were. However, your level affects what a trainer can teach you.

Let's say you were max level. That means you can ask a trainer to teach you ANYTHING within your class' grasp. If you were a low level, you'll have to start with the small stuff. But i say it once more, training is up to a person's perseverance and dedication, so take it easy.

Now remember, if your avatar was, let's say, a samurai, you can only learn the ways of the samurai, naturally. Your class is your avatar's, no exceptions.

"But what are these classes you speak of?"

An actual good question! Let's get to it.

CLASSES

I think we all know what classes in a video game are, so let's get to the point. Here they are:

Samurai

A loyal warrior of the empire. Samurai excel in battle with both speed and power. They can choose to specialize it katana combat, prioritizing speed over power, or in Nagitana combat, a more precise method for striking critical blows.

Samurai can follow a third path, but no known trainer can provide it. The player must find it on his own.

Armor : Light / Medium / Heavy

Weapons : Katana / Nagitana / Jitte

Paths

Katana : DPS

Nagitana : DPS

? : DPS

Shinobi

Masters of shadow and assassination. They use subtilety and long ranged weapons to weaken their enemies without being seen. They can further go down on this method or choose to become more efficient in close combat with small blades, for greater durability.

Armor : Light / Medium

Weapons : Katana / Kunai / Shuriken / Blowguns / Jitte

Paths

Assassination : DPS

Combat : DPS

Oni

Humans who drank the blood of a demon Oni and have attained some of their features and abilities. They use large clubs and are very resilient and strong. They can choose to enhance their defenses and even regeneration, or to simply boost their strength and become even stronger.

Armor : Medium / Heavy

Weapons : Clubs, Axes, Hammers

Paths

Blood : Tank

Fury : DPS

Sohei

People who hone body and mind to reach enlightenment (yes, it's a monk). They can choose a more spiritual path with a proficiency for healing, or they can further harden their bodies and specialize in hand to hand combat.

Monks can go down on a third path, but it's not something a normal trainer can teach, and it can't be found at a monk temple. Only a few are lucky/unlucky enough to stumble upon a master of the third art… *hic*

Armor : Light / Medium

Weapons : Rods / Beads / Jitte

Paths

Nirvana : Healing

Shaolin : DPS

? - DPS/Tank

Miko

Maidens who have dedicated their lives to serving the gods (that's right, maidens only). Very proficient healers, they can choose to use their powers to purge enemies instead.

Armor : Light

Weapons : Rods / Beads / Fans / Yumi

Paths

Hierophant : Healing

Exorcism : DPS

Utakatas

Master musicians who use their soothing melodies to boost their allies or cripple his enemies. Lacks fighting capabilities, but has great synergy with all other classes.

Weapons : Musical instrument of choice

Paths : Changes with the instrument of choice

Onmyoji

Proficient in the arts of the supernatural. Gifted in the field of magic, they harness the power of the elements, and can use scrolls to further boost their magic power. Others prefer to go down the path of the summoner to call the aid of various shikigami into battle.

Weapons : Rods / Scrolls

Paths

Spellcaste : DPS

Summoner : DPS

Shokunin

Expert artisans, they use their ingenuity and dexterity to excel in battle. Some are proficient in the use of various karakuri-like puppets in battle, while others prefer the ways of pyrotechnics, using crafted bombs and fireworks to fight.

Armor : Medium

Weapons : None (they make their own, duh)

Paths

Karakuri : DPS

Hanabi : DPS

Seems simple enough right? Of course it does!

As you can see, everyone is human here, even our Oni warriors, so your starting are is determined by your class. There are no opposing factions. Some people might not get along, but all in all they exist to serve the Shogun, bound together by the Iron Will.

Well, at least your Avatar was! You're free to do what you want and choose both your allies and enemies! Wanna kill other players? sure, go ahead. Wanna assassinate the Shogun? Close to impossible, but you can try!

Of course I beg you to remember that you're trapped in a dangerous world where your life is in constant danger and you're a klutz who can't fight for himself… Is it really necessary to make more enemies? Not saying you can't, but you better think carefully first!

That's all for now!

Are there any questions?

"I'm a guy and my avatar was a girl!"

Well, you can simply go and get some man armor. Problem solved!

"What if I'm a guy and my avatar was a Miko?"

Then I hope you look good in a dress. You will remain a guy, don't worry, but all NPCs will treat you for what you are: a shrine maiden.

"What if I was a big fat Oni?"

Then you will simply look like an "Oni-fied" version of yourself, be it man or woman.

"This is historically inaccurate!"

Don't look at me, the game's American! What, you're a japanophile enthusiast? Well, you'll have plenty to complain. But look on the bright side, the graphics, the immersion and the pain are all very realistic.

For real tho, are there any actual questions, from you? The real people? Ask away and we'll
(try to) answer them all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back