Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon [Woman disguised as man]

Student of Monsters [The Placid Lake Swordsmanship School is disgraced]

Destiny: 1

Lake: 7

River: 2

Joss: 2

Max Chi Aura: 2

Chi Replenishment: 2

Chi Threshold: 11 Trivial, 22 Minor, 33 Major (With Armor: 16 Trivial, 32 Minor, 48 Major)

Normal Chi: 11

Cultivation: 3

Entanglement: 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Two points. One is mechanically relevant: you are more than 50% over on skills, and the 21/20 destiny you acknowledge spending is all in loresheet and kung fu techniques. Something has to give.

For the other, the virtues are actually paired differently, especially for the courtier's arts, than they appear in the table you referred to. The editing, it was abysmal. You have no need at all to change that, but I have found it helpful, myself.

I'll try to assess the balance of Perfect Mirror later today, but the aesthetic is quite nice.

Oh, I thought +5 was 1 point, not 2. Misread. Thanks. How are virtues different? I don't see anything indicating I chose them or allocated them incorrectly. Do you mean the elemental associations under the Courtier Secret Arts?

[QUOTE="Random Word]Oh, I thought +5 was 1 point, not 2. Misread. Thanks. How are virtues different? I don't see anything indicating I chose them or allocated them incorrectly. Do you mean the elemental associations under the Courtier Secret Arts?

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, just that. It's purely conceptual bookkeeping and not an important detail.

Looks good to me, apart from some pronoun confusion. You seem to not know if your PC is a male or female.

Haha, not confusion. Sex is definitely female, but she's playing a male in the Jiang Hu. I wasn't sure if I should use gender pronouns to refer to her sex, or to clarify which gender she was playing at that moment.

I think I have a better plan for the why, though. I think perhaps my adopted mother was exiled from the Resplendent Phoenix Society, in part for foolishly marrying into a disgraced school likely to bring only dishonour to her peers. She lost none of her cunning nor ambition with her exile, though love made her damn the consequences for so marrying. When her blood son died of a mysterious illness at young age, she refused to accept it, and instead took the young orphaned girl adopted by the servants in his place, raising her to pretend to be him in all respects. She will see her peers proven wrong as her line restores honour to the school at any cost, and she has instilled this in her adopted daughter. Some of her remaining connections might have seen her 'son' placed in the right place at the right time to impress an agent of the Minister of the Left, and thus attached to the Magistrates. Silver's probably too young to be a Magistrate herself, but certainly they could use functionaries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so, I like the EKF a bunch. It's really strong from a mechanical perspective, given the overwhelming focus on block and strike, but there are styles that can compete head to head with the numbers, mastered. Plus, the weapon restriction is unprecedented and vastly limits your options for improvised fighting.

That fits with the mastery stuff, too. Most of your best tricks are expensive, with all the flooding. And if you want to bank up for the counterattack vortex you're trying to trap people in, you have to spend two potential flooded dice to keep your river big, creating interesting tactical choices.

Or.

Or, and here is a different direction entirely, you make your waves easily (if no one breaks them), but blow your initiative to a single die. That gives you almost guaranteed access to a variety of useful techniques with Through the Mirror, but opens you wide to initiative-priced styles, since nothing in this one protexts against the tactics of faster opponents.

I love it. It's deeply threatening to most of the styles it Laughs At, by the interaction of its upgrades alone. But Shadow Catching can still get enough of a leg up from speed alone to overcome that, potentially. It has exactly the Fears it thematically suggests, and they're the right degree of exploitable.

I think the character altogether complements the two already in play, too. Good coverage for each other's weaknesses, and plenty of room for conflicting intentions.

I didn't notice we had a new player until Sage posted about it in the OOC, but hey, welcome aboard! Silver looks neat, and looks to be a nice foil to the other PCs.

There, I think that's done. There are some free Secret Courtesan Lores I haven't included, but I'll get to that when it comes up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back