Story Shadow of the Isles: The Mountain Amidst the Caldera (Chapter 1 - WIP)

II-CinderRadcliff-II

Kitsune of the North
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Frozen city.jpg

Part 1: Mount Krilgox and the Impending Winter

On this particular winter morning the slow snowfall dances across the air itself, carried by the bitter and dry winds that call the northern most part of the continent their home. The snow in the air so captivating and majestic as to not be ignored, allowing weary travelers and hunters alike to rest and enjoy the temporary calm. But this was no time to relax. Snapping out of his daze the man slowly got to his feet while gripping his side, glancing to the moose as it retreated with human blood trickling from its antlers. A wince of pain briefly shot through his spine once he was free standing once more, the injury itself was shallow thanks in part to the tree preventing more serious injuries - though a wound in such frigid weather would allow frostbite to come much sooner rather than later. The man, now in a hurry to his destination, pulled out a map and compared it to the mountain ahead. Such a site was uncommon anywhere else in the world, with the mountain where cities were built upon poked out of the ground like an arrowhead through a rabbit. Beneath the overhanging cliffs of the mountain rested a partially frozen lake, from which steam and smoke bubbled out from the waters and into the air above. Near the coasts of the lake one could see most if not all of the most vibrant colors, from darker hues of blue and green to the brightest reds and yellows for hundreds of miles. Across the lake rest more mountains and forests, the ground below quaking subtly as the earth itself churned below. Without a doubt this was the infamous Krilgox Caldera, one of the most popular and dangerous tourist attractions this far to the north.
"Aye, ain't this a sight to behold..." The man muttered to himself before folding up his map, stuffing it into his coat before pinching his fingers together. What few birds dare linger around during such worsening weather quickly took to the skies as a shrill whistle came from the man's mouth, and with a few moments of silence his gaze then turned to the now cautiously approaching Clydesdale. Thankfully his companion hadn't abandoned him in such cold conditions, though now he knew they needed to steer clear of any moose the rest of the way to the town at the base of Mount Krilgox. Although the mountain was far from the tallest around the region, it's height alone from such a distance suggested they were roughly 60 to 65 miles away from where they currently were. The man lifted himself onto his trustworthy steed and began the journey once more for the base of the mountain, hooves prancing in the fluffy snow as the two wandered back onto the trail - with the trek bringing them out of the forest within around 40 minutes of travel. The safety of the forest gave way to rocky plains with puddles of water scattered about, wooden pathways constructed and kept pristine as tourists wandered the area. The vibrant colors along the coasts were much brighter and vivid up close than what words relayed to him described, with mounts of sediment sitting in solemn silence as the small bodies of water gave off steam. The only unpleasant part about being in the vicinity was the odor of the gases that bubbled up from below the water. The man and his horse paused as both took in their new surroundings, with the spewing of a geyser catching their attention. After a few seconds in awe the pain in the mans side reminded him of his goal, urging the Clydesdale into a sprint and holding on tight to the lead and saddle handles.

By the time the man and his horse reached the town the snow had started coming down harder, with residents hurrying to their homes in an attempt to avoid getting caught in a potential blizzard. Unlike the towns and cities closer to the south, the Krilgox Caldera was notorious for having brutal winters that saw 94 days without any sunlight - with only 11 days left until the sun would begin such a brutal snowstorm. This time of year also meant that the Krilgox Kingdom would begin mobilizing patrols along all routes leading in or out of the Caldera, gathering what few tourists were around and getting them to safety before the sun cursed the land with no light once more. The man snapped back into focus as two guards approached, a werewolf and a woman covered head to toe for warmth rather than protection. With a gentle tug of the lead the Clydesdale stopped in its tracks and the man jumped down, giving a firm but gentle handshake to both of the guards.
"Ello there traveler, and welcome to the Krilgox Caldera." The werewolf welcomed, with his warm and calming smile unintentionally bearing his fangs. It was merely a second before they realized, and an expression of shame and embarrassment took over. "Apologies, where are my manners? I am Khenny of the Caldera Knights, please make yourself comfortable during your time in Krilgox Springs. Is there anything you need our assistance with?" With a hand covering his side the man thought his need was obvious, though the question did cause him to raise an eyebrow. As his hand left his side the wound was revealed to the frigid air, answering the question for the werewolf before he decided to address both of the guards before him.
"Greetings, my name is Nythens of the Great Highlands of Myrithorn. I've come on behalf of Myrithorn's national guild, for they have requested I send a letter to the head of Krilgox's guild." He explained briefly before reaching into the messenger bag resting on the other side of his body, pulling out a rolled up scroll and handing it to the female guard. "It'd be best it gets to the head of the guild as soon as possible, as the officials back home made it sound really important. On top of that, they asked me to help out around the Caldera as the local guild needed, so if you could show me where the local Inn is after I get some medical attention it'd be appreciated." Nythens concluded before grabbing hold of his Clydesdale's lead, watching the two guards as they looked at each other slightly puzzled. Perhaps he didn't give enough detail, but there was only so much he could say about a confidential matter he didn't know about. Before too long both of their attentions were back on him, with the female guard resonating her vocals to speak up.
"I believe I understand the situation, thank you for informing us on the matter. I am Reba of the Caldera Knights, I too do humbly welcome you to the Krilgox Caldera - as our honored guest." Reba greeted in an excessively formal manner, giving a slight bow forward before returning to her well kept posture. With a gesture she signaled Nythens to follow suit as she walked with Khenny towards one of the few major streets, the trio walking through the snow. "Due to tourists getting stuck here for months during this time of year, the Inn and Medical center share the same building to avoid people from getting lost in the blizzard that will role around in the next week. But due to how long the blizzard lasts and the difficulty of navigating during the snowstorms, during the month prior to the storms the Kingdom sends down orders to start closing down the Caldera to tourists - even going as far as to trade for excess food that can be stored for months at a time." Reba informed Nythens while the three of them wandered down the street, with some other guards setting up the lamp posts with rope to help people navigate during the storm. Despite the tense air and harsh conditions Krilgox Springs was far from drab and run down, the town seemed to be thriving and expanding further into the forests west of the Krilgox Caldera. Something that his nation could learn to do in times of peace and prosperity.
"So Khenny. What was with the expression earlier? The one you made after you welcomed me while smiling."
"Oh, um... Uh..." Khenny sputtered nervously, looking at Nythens before attempting to speak. "For werewolves, showing your fangs when you first meet a person is seen as a great offense, similar to how a fairy would feel if you were to start chopping down a forest. Showing your fangs around people you've already met can be considered an invitation to fight, or just another way someone sees you as rude. So given we just met, if any other werewolves noticed I'd be considered a bastard or xenophobe." By the time he finished explaining, the Inn was within sight of the trio.
"Ah, I understand. Don't fret about it, our people see insults as a sort of necessary evil." Nythens reassured as the medical center came into view, the foundation of cobble engraved with foreign script alongside calendar dates and times of the day. Upon closer inspection each sentence of script was followed by two different dates, some close to a hundred decades apart while others were within the same year. Alongside the cobbled foundation the wooden walls were adorned with intricate carvings of the caldera, depicting nine figures of various sizes overlooking a sea of lava and fire where the frozen lake should have been - the colors of each figure suggesting each specialized in a different magic type. Of the nine figures he immediately recognized one as his nations god, very much resembling a small golden fox known for roaming the many deserts the nation shared with its neighbors. Marbella the Kitsune, God of the Cergisia. His attention turned back to the scripts engraved within the stone, a sense of mourning and dread washing over as the meaning of it finally clicked. They were to mourn the dead. Nythens handed the lead to Khenny with the expectation that he'd look after his horse while getting his wound treated, before heading inside with Reba with a little haste. While it did help him prevent getting sentimental for people he never knew, it also helped him warm up as the heat of the fireplace bathed him in comfort. As he looked around he found the medical center to be bigger than he had anticipated, with multiple doctors in all navy blue wandering to and from as they checked on their patients. His attention then fell onto one member of staff who was now approaching, papers and a bottle of ink tied to a wooden tray as their other hand held a quill at the ready.
"Ah, hello there Reba, it's good to see you once more. And to our guest, welcome to the Krilgox Springs medical center, where we partner with the local Inn referred to as 'Caldera Comforts'. How may we serve you?" The receptionist greeted as he shook the hands of both Nythens and Reba.
"I'm in need of some medical attention." Nythens stated as he revealed his wound, with the wound now turning blue from the cold. With a concerned look the receptionist nodded, ringing a handheld bell sitting on the desk he worked at as two doctors walked over, guiding Nythens towards the back as the receptionist and Reba were now alone together.

WIP​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back