World Building Set pieces- loving the little things.

Tierax

Hey there, seems the title snagged your interest huh? Well, pull up a seat and lets chat!
I've always believed that having a good variety of setpieces to draw on in an rp of anykind, is a fairly substantial part of immersion.

Sometime our fondest rp memories are not the climactic battles, but the drunken debate with an unruly bartender about price.

Or maybe it was the goblins spotted on the hunt, who happened to be complaining to each other that they never get the best pants after a raid.

Here, i want to discuss the best setpieces that have ever been presented to you- or made by you, and throw out some rough ideas to hopefully help fill out those lull periods between the next big plot point.

To start us off, here is an idea i've chewing on for a few hours.
The Failed necromancer set piece

Five skeletons in a an almost empty room. In its centre, an ornate statue with a glowing purple gem the size of a fist. At the base of the statue lays a necromancer, stabbed to death... their blood shows they have been dragged back from the door.
Upon entry three skeletons with swords attack. The remaining two will not budge until something dies in the room, upon which they will move to drag it to the statue.
In three rounds the necromancer will reanimate as a lesser zombie, or greater zombie upon battle ending. The gem animates any corpse near it after three consecutive days, any undead created by it will obey any person to give it a simple command, but only if that command begins with "by my will, i command you-" any command will be interpreted literally and endlessly.

It doesn't have to be a fantasy setpiece of course, any genre will do! I look forward to seeing all your experiences and ideas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back