Seeking Refuge (Highlander and Void)

Void

Marcus shivered, the rain insistently soaking through the fabric of his cloak as it dropped in sideways sheets, making it difficult to see ahead. The hooves of the horse he'd managed to steal pounded against the muddy path, and he struggled to steer it through the undergrowth. He hadn't heard sounds of pursuit for a decent while, but he wasn't risking a check, that could easily be a lethal mistake. A few hours before, the castle has been flooded by enemy forces after someone from the inside had given them passage. It pained him to imagine who'd commit such a crime, and even more pain to think of the deaths that were imminent. Trying his hardest to avoid dwelling on such depressing thoughts, he pushed his horse harder, griping the reins firmly as they rounded a bent into a clearing.

Just as the sun dipped over the horizon, the silhouette of a building came into view, and he debated his options. On one hand, whoever owned the establishment could turn him in, but that was only if they recognized him, and he rarely made appearances to the public. But there was undoubtably a price on his head already, if they'd noticed his escape, a price not many common folk would turn down.

Slowing the horse to a trot, he eyed a barn on the far side of the farm, letting his exhaustion make the choice. Tying up his steed in the woods nearby, he snuck towards the barn, lingering by the entrance. Inside, there was a faint glow, and his heart sunk in disappointment. If there was someone inside, he'd have to move on, since there was no chance of hiding here. He pushed his soggy hair from his face, sighing deeply and feeling utterly lost. Where the hell am I supposed to go?

Despite the torrential downpour, Rhys was still outside. The work wasn't going to get done if he went inside because a little water was falling from the sky. He still had to feel all of the animals, make sure they all were in their shelters and not able to get out until the rain stopped. It wouldn't be good for them. He left his hair alone, not bothered by it being plastered to his face. The chickens, cows, and pigs were taken care of. That just left the horses. He turned from the chicken pen and faced the barn. Then he thought he saw something moving. Whatever it was, there was little chance it could see Rhys from where he was.

He thought he heard a horse in the woods. Had one of them gotten out? Had the figure - which he could now identify as a person - let them out? He picked up a rather large stick and quietly made his way towards the barn. He wasn't a mean person, but he wasn't going to walk towards someone obviously bigger than him completely without defense. He wasn't stupid. He could make out the figure of a man, at least a couple inches taller than Rhys as he silently crept closer. Was he lost? Did he need help? Rhys wasn't sure what he was going to do until he got there.

The man was soaked through, it looked as if he'd been in the rain since the beginning of the storm. "Can I help you?" He asked, his voice more or less concerned for the other soaked individual. He then pushed his bangs from his face, seeing him more clearly without the mess of blond hair in the way. He still held the stick, not knowing what the man was going to do. Although it was obvious that Rhys had no idea who he was. They didn't get much news on the farm. Usually when they went to town to sell their crops or buy necessities was the only time they heard anything. Unless someone came by and brought them up to speed on matters. That wasn't often though and the last time they'd gone into town was two weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marcus stiffened, turning abruptly when he heard a voice behind him. His pulse heightened, fully prepared to face a heavily armed knight aiming to separate his head from his neck. Gripping the hilt of the dagger tucked in his belt, he breathed an audible sigh of relief when he recognized his opponent to be a farm boy. The only weapon he held was a stick, and unless the boy planned on impaling Marcus, he was safe. He regained his composure, almost smiling at the miracle that he hadn't been caught. "Good lord, you scared me," he breathed, letting go of his dagger. "Could I possibly ask for a favor?" He began, continuing on before he gave the boy a chance to respond.

"I'm a traveler, and I got lost from my party." He lied, thinking quickly. "Have you happened to see them by any chance, they should've passed through here. But anyhow, is there a way I could stay here for the night? I don't have any gold on me, but I could repay you later," he explained, blinking the water from his eyes and shivering from the biting cold.

Rhys felt a little bad when he had obviously scared the man. "Sorry." He said quietly. His grip on the stick loosened, but he still didn't put it down. They got some pretty weird people coming to the farm before and Rhys wasn't going to take his chances. He would rather be seen as "the crazy farm boy with a stick" than end up in trouble because the guy turned out to be crazy himself. Then he asked for a favor. Rhys was about to ask what it was, but the man kept talking. Travelling party? Rhys wasn't sure about that story.

"There aren't many people who come out this way." He said simply, meaning that there had been no party that passed through at all. The man asked to stay the night and that request didn't seem odd. The ones who did pass through often asked to spend the night or even for a decent meal. Then he heard the horse again, coming from the forest somewhere. "You can stay." He told him after a moment. There were several extra beds in his room, the one he used to share with all of his brothers, so he could make sure the guy didn't try anything. "Do you have a horse in the woods?" He asked, hearing it again. It couldn't be his mind, could it? "We have an extra stall you can keep it in tonight too."

He laughed in relief when Rhys told him he could stay, glancing back to the trail he'd come from to insure it wasn't too late. He half expected to see dark shapes pouring from the undergrowth. "Thank you. Thank you very much," he breathed, resisting the temptation to hug the other boy, something that was completely out of character for him. The cold must be getting to his head. "Yes, give me a minute and I'll fetch my horse," Marcus confirmed, mentally reminding himself to let up on the formal speech. He didn't want to give himself away with how he was talking. On the same note, the saddle was branded with the royal insignia, and he'd have to get rid of it before he brought the horse inside. That was a dead giveaway, even to a farmer.

Hurrying back into the woods, he hastily untied the saddle, the water making the leather slick under his fingers. The animal huffed in complaint, and Marcus patted it assuringly, apologetic for the rough ride earlier. Once he had buried the saddle under some dirt and twigs, he led it back into the clearing. "Here, do you need help getting him in the stables? He can be finicky," he explained, giving a reserved smile.

Rhys knew then he'd done the right thing. He could tell just by the look on the taller man's face. Rhys followed his eyes to the trail. Is that where he'd come from? Travel parties don't normally use it, they stick to the main road most of the time. He then looked back at the man when he thanked him. He just nodded a little bit. Sure it would be a shock to his mother and father, but the man couldn't stay in the rain much longer. It didn't look like he was in it much and it could end badly. Rhys never really got sick, no one in his family did, alothough his mother was amazing at treating sick people.

He watched as the man went off to get the horse. The horse didn't look too happy. But he was definitely tired. Rhys noticed the lack of a saddle and wondered why he'd ride without one, but he didn't ask. "I think I got it." He said. He already noticed differences in the way the each spoke. The man was very formal and Rhys talked like " a farm raised idiot." That's what most people called them. He took the reins and walked the horse into the barn. There was an empty stall that he managed to easily persuade him to get into simply by showing him there was food and water inside. He checked all the other stalls and made sure none of the horses could get out and that they all had food and water. "We ought to get inside." He said. "Mama'll have supper ready by now." He knew it was late, but this was when they ate. "And we can get you some dry clothes."

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Marcus nodded, suddenly more nervous now that he'd have to convince this boy's parents. He was surprised by how well he'd handled the temperamental animal, it was like the beast had recognized how much more fluent the farm boy was and just obeyed without question. Marcus tried to not take it personally, giving his horse a small frown. I'll remember that, you unruly thing. "Right, of course, so you own the farm? You and your family?" He asked, following Rhys. Marcus wasn't entirely sure how the ownership worked with farms, as he'd never spend any time on one. The closest he'd gotten was the castle stables, which were run by stable hands and owned by his father.

"Um, I seem to have forgotten to ask," he muttered, "but what should I call you by?" Marcus thought quickly for an alias to offer in return. "I'm Calen by the way," he added with as much confidence as he could muster making it up on the spot. "And dry clothes and some food would be more than generous, thank you so much." Just when he thought luck was on his side, a single rider stormed around the corner. His pulse quickened as the man slowed, and Marcus was grateful for the hood covering his face, as it was the only thing saving him at this point. Finally, seemingly satisfied, the rider swept on, and he could breathe again.

Rhys looked over at the man. "Just barely." He said. "The only reason it's still ours is because we been here eight generations." He told him. There was a lot of history on the farm and some of it was obvious by how old everything looked. He'd dropped the stick by now, obviously. Then the man asked about his name.

Right. He forgot that was what you were supposed to do. "Rhys." He told him. As Calen thanked him, Rhys heard the hooves. He turned to look toward a line rider who slowed down. Then he was gone. That was weird. Two strangers in one night? Was something happening in town?

They made it to the house and Rhys stepped onto the porch. He opened the door and let Calen in first before walking inside. "Mama, we got a guest." He said just loud enough for his mother to hear him. A woman appeared in the kitchen doorway and looked at the two of them. She didn't seem shocked at all by the new man.

"Good heavens, you two look like drowned rats." She said. "Rhys go take him upstairs and find some of your brothers' old clothes for him to wear and y'all bring those wet clothes back down."

"Yes, mama." Rhys looked at Calen and smiled a little bit. "Come on." He knew the longer they took to get moving, the longer it would take for them to get food.

I ain't at a computer right now~

Marcus blinked at the woman, giving her a nod of appreciation. He'd underestimated the hospitality of the lower class, somehow imagining them as rough and unwelcoming. Feeling inclined to match their friendliness, he followed Rhys up the stairs. "So you have a brother then?" He asked as he climbed, legs sore from the unusually long ride. He sniffled through his cold-induced runny nose, the smell wafting from the downstairs reminding him how long it'd been since he last ate. "I do as well, or I did, he hasn't really been around," he shrugged, throwing out the information for the sake of making a connection. It felt strange to be even a little open with a stranger. "Either he ran off or he got himself killed, only time will tell."

The sensation of dry clothing was heavenly, and he began to feel human once more, though the fabric was rougher and cheaper than he was accustomed to. Not that he was in any position to complain. His hair curled slightly as it dried, making him look more unkempt than he had in a long while. Feeling guilty about just showing up, he turned to Rhys. "You know, I promise I will repay you for everything, even if I'm just borrowing these, it's more than kind. And for the food as well, I won't leave you hanging." Rhys and his family were put in danger by his presence, since they'd be killed if they were discovered to be harboring him. The weight of that sunk onto his shoulders.

Rhys looked back at Calen and smiled a little bit. "Five of 'em, actually." He said. "They all got married and got places of their own now." He added. He knew it was a big family, but most farmers had a lot of kids if they had a lot of land. It helped with the workload. Although it made it harder when they all moved away and had their own families. That meant they had more work unless they stayed on the farm to help out. However Rhys was managing just fine as it was. He found clothes that would fit Calen in one of the dressers next to one of the five spare beds and then out on dry clothes of his own. His hair started to get the almost-curl it always got when it was dry.

He had just gathered their wet clothes when Calen spoke again. "You don't have to." He told him with a small smile. "It ain't like we have no room and mama still cooks enough to feed an army of teenage boys." He added. "Besides, we like being able to help when we can." He said with another smile. He had put the clothes in a basket to take down, his mother was probably going to just hang them in front of the fire place.

"Rhys! Are you boys quite finished yet?" His mother called up the stairs. Rhys turned to Calen and smiled a little bit.

"We're comin' mama." He called, opening the door again and letting Calen out first. He may have been an uneducated farm boy, but his mother made sure he had manners.

Marcus stepped gingerly down the stairs, not wanting to make the wrong impression by face planting into the floor. Once he'd reached the bottom, he stole a moment to take in his surroundings now that his life wasn't in immediate danger. For him, it was a cramped space, but he almost preferred it somehow, it was cozier, warmer, and more personable than what he was used to. He waited up for Rhys before following the sounds of the table being set in the next room over, the aromas drifting past both earthy and spiced. It reminded him of a rural place, which was appropriate considering that was exactly where he was.

He perched on one of the chairs, unsure whether to start serving himself or wait for some type of signal. When he ate with his family, servants always took care of such matters, so he was left sitting awkwardly. Seeing as the others simply took from the bowls and platters, he did the same, trying his hardest not to spill the food onto the table. "So. uh-" he said, scrambling for conversation. "Busy day, with the cows, and corn, and whatnot?" What else did farming folk do? They spent all day standing in fields, right?

Rhys noticed how Calen seemed to be cautious down the stairs. When they got down, he helped his mother by hanging the clothes by the fireplace. Then he went out to the table, that seemed far too big now for just four people. However, just a few years ago, it was totally filled with his brothers. He got some of the food as his father came in. He sat down at the head of the table and got his food before noticing the added boy at the table. Although Calen spoke first and Rhys couldn't help but smile. He clearly didn't spend a lot of time, or any at all, on a farm. Not that Rhys minded much, he knew the stereotype.

"Somethin' like that." He said. He knew getting into the specifics of all the things he had to do would like just confuse Calen. So he wasn't going to bother trying.

"And you would be?" His father spoke up. His voice wasn't harsh or anything, simply curious. Rhys realized he had totally forgotten to introduce him, although his mother had sent them upstairs right away.

"This is Calen." He told him. "He's stayin' the night." His father looked at Calen for a moment before nodding slightly. He wasn't one to ask too many questions. None of them really were, but that was just how things worked around here.

Marcus tensed when Rhys' father greeted him, as he was far more intimating that the rest of the family, even questioning why he was here. A valid question, he wouldn't lie. "Right, I'm Calen," he greeted, eyes flitting nervously across the table as he stabbed into a potato. "I was traveling and got separated from my group in the storm. We were traveling from the north, and I'd only been with them for a few days. I doubt they'll wait anywhere for me, so it's better if I continue on alone." Marcus explained, not wanting his plan to fall though once his imaginary friends didn't pass through. "Bet they won't even stop here," he remarked, faking a quiet laugh.

Once the meal was over, exhaustion hit him quickly and his head swam, pounding as he blinked furiously in an attempt to stay awake. The family chatted absently, and Marcus did his best to follow the conversation, schooled that falling asleep during at a table or gathering was the worst offense. He head dipped once, but he propped it against his palm, biting the inside of his mouth.

The man took the story, not even blinking once. He wasn't a man who grew suspicious of others while they were in his house. If he'd been the one to meet him by the barn, it would have been a different story. However, he trusted Rhys's judgement. Besides, most of the visitors they got were lost travelers. So this was nothing new.

The meal went on and most of the talk was the upkeep of the farm. Rhys had a lot of mending to do the next day. Even if the storm didn't let up, he'd be out there. When everyone seemed to be done eating, the talk still continued. Although Rhys noticed that Calen seemed to be struggling to stay awake. He was likely as tired as Rhys was, although Rhys rarely showed his exhaustion. "We ought get to bed." He said finally, looking at Calen. "I got an early day." He always had an early day, but he didn't want Calen to think it was his fault. He had stood, going to be either way, and took his plate and cup to the sink. He set them inside and turned to see if Calen was going to come with him or not.

((@Highlander Sorry, random patch of busyness. >.>))

Marcus blinked in relief, nodding eagerly at the suggestion of sleep. Luckily, he was fairly familiar with the idea of an early day, with the hours of training out in the heat of the morning with little time to break. Thus was his normal responsibilities that seemed so distant now, even strangely comforting… "Well, why not?" He said, keeping his face even at the expense of not wanting to look too eager. "Shall I sleep down here, or is there a cot elsewhere I am to use?" Marcus wasn't going to be picky, but a decent bed wasn't anything he'd turn down, so he might as well ask for it. With their story of the away brothers, he figured there would be some spare rooms, unless common folk all stuffed into one? It was difficult to imagine, but you never knew…

((It's okay))

Rhys smiled a little bit. "You can sleep in one of my brothers' beds." He told him. The entire upstairs they'd been in was basically one big bedroom with all of the different beds. His parents' room was on the first floor so the upstairs had always been the bedroom for they boys. Although it had been like that since the house was built generations ago. Rhys had to admit that it would feel better not to be alone up there. Sometimes it got to quiet. "Night mama, night papa." Rhys hugged his mother and then his father. "C'mon." He turned to Calen with a small smile. He started to go back to the stairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back