Secret puppetmasters of the guild

wordman

Two Thousand Club
I'm not sure if there is any official hints about the guild having secret overlords. There probably is. However, I'm ignoring all that.

I'm seriously considering having the hidden Guild controllers be... the Silver Pact. I'm not sure why, but something about the idea appeals to me. Like, the lunars have fooled everyone into thinking of them as feral wildmen, but in reality they almost completely control the entire economy from the shadows. Seems like stealthy beastmen and master tricksters should be able out-hustle the sidereals to pull off a scam of this magnitude.

Why would they do this?

Part of me answers: Who cares?! I want were-ferrets bathing in milk surrounded by nubile flesh and piles of loot, dammit!

Another part of me answers: Maybe they figured out that it was the sidereals that fucked over the First Age, and this is part of a plot for payback. Somehow.

I dunno.

Maybe after years of trying to bring down the Realm with Beastman hordes, they finally realized that the real way to win was to dominate them financially... or not.

-S

I don't really see the Lunars, who resent everything civilised, generally, and mostly the decadance of society as a whole running the guild, which perpetuates this decadance... UNLESS they're using the guild to make society decadant in order to give the Lunars as a whole something to remain united against?  :shock:

It's schemes within schemes!

Really though, that kind of chicanery is the stuff Sidereals do. Say what you like about Lunars, they're honest.

Honest like a blade.

Jukashi said:
Really though, that kind of chicanery is the stuff Sidereals do. Say what you like about Lunars, they're honest.
Maybe the "hulk smash" kind are. I think most, however, are more like Coyote.

Kajata said:
I don't really see the Lunars, who resent everything civilised, generally, and mostly the decadance of society as a whole
That's all just part of the trick, a front to mask the fact that they are the Gnomes of Zurich, Exalted style. It's a front that is so successful, some lunars even believe it.

Well how many lunars does it take to run a guild in the first place? I'd say a few first age lunars could very well do it. Perhaps they eschew the silver pact out of loyality to their former solar mates?

Safim said:
Well how many lunars does it take to run a guild in the first place?
I'm sure there's a punchline here, but I can't think of one.

-S

To be honest, I've always thought of the Secret Masters of the Guild to be Mortals.  Very smart Mortals who have been manipulating the Exalted, God Bloods, and all the other critters in the Creation to doing their dirty work, and that includes letting the Lintha in on the deal--but if you want Ferrets bathing in milk and having a wonderful time bilking folks silly, go for it.

The idea has a ring to it. Especially because no one would expect it.

... Im glad none of my players use this forum :)

Hmm... wereferrets... hmmm... milk... nubile flesh... Yes!! I like it!

I like the idea of a mingled group of Exalted, preferably Lunars and Silver Faction Sidereals, running the Guild. Hierarch Sabar could be the first Solar Exalt (he sounds like a really good Eclipse) while the sleazy guy who got there via bribery and luck could be a good Chosen of Endings or Secrets. The guy from Nexus is the perfect example of a cunning Changing Moon Lunar.

Regardless of who the Guild's secret, or not-so-secret masters are, the Sidereals, specifically the Gold Faction, must have their greasy tentacles in the mix somewhere.

-S

I think a number of people have their fingers in that pie all over. Gods, Exalts, the Realm, so on and etc.

Well, the Lunars could be using the guild as a tool to fatten and appease the civilized populace and allow for strategic domination,  i.e. withholding weapons or other important resources to specific areas allowing for Lunars to move in and ... set up shop *pun intended*.

Using a slow but steady strategy they could take the Threshold piece by piece that way.  I'm with Jakk on the Guild being the main trappings of power for mortals in the world of Exalted, but Lunars can consume and imitate mortals with some efficacy.

... If anything White Wolf has tried to push for diversity in the ranks of the Exalted. Why should the Lunars be any different? Why should they all be pushing for "uncivilisation", or whatever you want to call it...

Wouldn't the Sidereals be at least somewhat aware of the fact, that the Silver Pact was involved, if that was the case? I mean, Lunars are still inside fate, and if scrutinized, could they still hide their involvement from the Tapestry?

Jeppe

Jeppe said:
Wouldn't the Sidereals be at least somewhat aware of the fact, that the Silver Pact was involved, if that was the case? I mean, Lunars are still inside fate, and if scrutinized, could they still hide their involvement from the Tapestry?
I've been thinking about that. One way around that is to say that the "Silver Faction" of sidereals is more than "just an idea" that the book presents it as. In fact, there is a real group of sidereals who consider themselves the Silver Faction, and do what they can to conceal the existence of this plot from the rest of heaven.

The Lunars' close association with the Wyld may also blur their fates slightly- not enough to remove them from fate, certainly, but probably enough to make it difficult to watch them. They are, after all, by nature chaotic, tricksy and hard to pin down.

I could totally see a secret cabal of Alchemicals infiltrating and taking control of the guild. With their superior production technology and logistics, they could quickly transform the Guild from a economic and political titan into a vessel of conquest.

The Alchemicals would enter Creation a year or so ahead of their main force. After taking over the Guild, they would use its resources to create supply depots, establish communications and reqruit allies amongs the mortal governments. When the assault begins in full, the Guilds warships could blockade harbours preventing the Realm from landing reenforcements, while their mercenary units would join up with the Alchimicals masters bringing with them knowledge of the terrain and the tactics of their enemies.

Nahhhh, not the Alchies, though I really must say this Lunar idea really intrigues me tremendously. Perhaps I could make a mystery/political plot of it...Hmmm...

Any particular reason why you don't think Autochthonia wouldn't consider the possibility of leading with a fifth column of economic warfare before letting slip the hounds of war?

Well, number one, it doesn't always have t obe the Autos, I know hey'd do something like it...but in my eyes, it's not their bag. Their here for conquest and resources, and cash just doesn't add up to shit to save the Maker. Not in my eyes, they need material, they take it through conquest, done. I like to think the Lunars have a bit more of civilization in them and a bit more of that trickery Luna intended in them to pull off the Guild thing.

i really have to say that Lunar guild masters, is trully the most underhanded thing ever. You freakin send your barbarian horde to ravage a few towns... then you send your guild caravan into the same town and make a killing selling supplies. haha not only that but your caravans can travel worry free of barbarians. perfect masterminded plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back