• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Second Wind

Melon Bomb

hi i make bad decisions
tQAMVKy.jpg
A gift for some and a curse for others: A second chance at the expense of another, forced to run on borrowed time to live for your sake and for the one that died on your behalf. In a land rife with political tension and war right on the horizon, a handful of the risen who were chosen to lead life anew are granted a new path to follow, for better or for worse. The Valan empire has issued a quest to investigate a mysterious presence that has made itself known deep into uncharted lands - a presence that resonates within the risen, perhaps hinting at their origins and exploring the true purpose of their revival.

At the same time, the kingdom of Laoa has its own agenda to cordon off all attempts to reach the anomaly, afraid of the untapped power that may lay within - a power that the risen could use against the rest of humanity should it fall into the wrong hands. Under the right circumstances, it might be the ember they had been searching for to spark the war they had spent so long mobilizing for. And deep in these uncharted territories, this entity pulses with a strange force that could change the fate of the world, twisting both life and land in ways never thought to be possible.

@Gongortor

Last edited by a moderator:
The scent of freshly caught trout hung in the air at the port city of Elambra, the local piers abundant with marine life and fishermen alike. Dusk was approaching and workers were beginning to peel off their gloves, carrying in the last of the imports and shipments of fish they had collected. Nets packed with the fish were lowered into barrels and those barrels were hauled onto wagons - one such wagon disappeared behind a certain 'Redstone Tavern,' a pub that was now housing about half of its usual patrons. Come nightfall, it would likely reach its capacity. A rickety table by the doorway seated a circle of rowdy guards, each drowning out the other with vulgar jokes and ludicrous alcohol-fueled fantasies. A balding older man slammed down his tankard and wiped his frothy mustache with a dirty leather glove, smacking his lips as he prepared to interject their short-lived argument.

"Now, now, no need to be fussin' about this, we're all here to have a good time!" the man rumbled, slapping away a drunken hand that reached for a pile of coins that sat atop his deck of playing cards. A few spilled and rolled off the tables onto the rotten floorboards, but he didn't pay them any mind, leaning forward over the table into his two companions. "And we ain't gonna have good time if we don't get paid, understand?" he added in a sharper, more hushed tone. The others propped up attentively at his sudden shift in voice. He licked his lips and drummed his fingers heavily against the wooden surface, eyeing them carefully before he chose his next words. "The sun's already settin', if they're to show up, it'll be very soon-"

As if on cue, a cool breeze rushed into the room, knocking out several candles lined neatly against the walls. Under the dim lighting, a silhouette was visible standing at the tavern's doorway. A few turned their heads for a second, others did not heed the intrusion and went on drinking and gambling as they always did day after day. Outside, a covered wagon dropped off a handful of people at the Redstone's doorstep and took off hastily. With a shaky breath, Naora took her first step inside, falling under the warm glow of the swaying chandelier. Half the seats were vacant and a pair of older women tended the bar, one with exhaustion detailing her face and the other with a dreamy expression and wandering eyes.

The young girl lowered her hood but held her coat tightly to her body despite the heat and humidity inside. It made her feel safer, if only by a little. This place was a far cry from her homeland in the northern mountain ranges, but she was growing more accustomed by the day - the stench and obnoxious strangers would take some getting used to, however. A lute played the tune to a cacophony of voices, capturing the cheery and free-spirited mood of its patrons, a trio of strangely dressed people performing some kind of synchronized dance at the far end of the tavern. It was clear that she didn't belong here, but nobody was shooing her out just yet so she swallowed and pressed forward.

Upon reaching the counter, Naora flashed the tired bartender the glint of round coin that wasn't recognizable as any manner of currency. The woman gave it a good once over, plucking the pipe from her mouth and exhaling a cloud of smoke away from them. She tapped the other woman to attention, who perked up like a sleeping dog that had just been startled. She nodded and acknowledged Naora silently, gesturing around the counter and pointing toward the back room. Slowly nodding back, she stared at the two bartenders anxiously and found herself inside of a barren storeroom. By the back was an open trap door latch leading to the floor below - she took careful steps down wooden stairs and peered below into the surprisingly brightly lit cellar, spotting a wide table seating unfamiliar faces. These people must be here to investigate the presence, too, she thought with some concern, nervously waving to the others that had arrived.

"Good timing," a voice rang out from the rear - an unremarkable young man in a gray leather cloak seemed to be leading whatever meeting they were about to have. "We're closing off any more potential volunteers in a few minutes. You're probably wondering why it's been set up like this, eh? Being in the open has gotten some good men and women killed out there - eavesdroppers and spies and whatnot, it's been a growing concern lately. So, we've settled on discussing the details in places that are harder to track and won't have any insiders. All clear? Alright, come sit down ye rotten kid, we've got things to go over."

Naora made a quick gesture of affirmation and took her place at the table of scary looking people - many of which she knew would be like her, a risen human searching for the purpose behind their resurrection and perhaps their origins. Why had they been chosen? She had too many questions on her mind and very few ambitions to get in the way of seeking her answers. And her choices have now led her to this place, the first step in what would likely be a great and arduous journey she wasn't even certain she'd survive. She took a deep breath, rested her hands on the table, and listened carefully.

@Gongortor @DippyDash

“I hate boats...”

Ellexis groaned whilst stretching her legs. Her voice was groggy from the three day journey to Elambra, having slept most of the time at sea.

“I know, you think I fancy them anymore then you do?”

Abel said as he dug through the large chest that held their items. His head buried in one of the packs looking for a small note.

“Hurry up and get our things ready, I don’t want to be on this thing any more.”

The boat wasn’t much. A simple vessel to take people across the way to reach the port. Its dark wood creaked with every step, and the nights felt like you were being tossed around more than actually sleeping. The room that they stayed in was nice enough. Two beds with cotton blankets. Paintings to make it seem more homey but really only added to the feel of them being at sea. At the end of it all, it worked, getting the two of them across in mostly okay shape.

“What are you even looking for? I forgot why we’re here in the first place.”

Ellexis moved over to where Abel was still digging through his pack trying to find the small note. Whilst he was doing this she pushed him to the side a bit so that she could grab her things. She always traveled lightly. Her pack contained a pen and a leather bound journal, a few bits of of currency, and two books which by now had the titles worn off from use. Ellexis also grabbed the longbow and quiver that was resting near the nightstand.

“I’m looking for that damned note that was ever so hastily handed to me by that strange man back in the other port.”

Abel dug around a bit more before finding it tucked away in his journal.

“Found it! Now we can go.”

Abel tried to rearrange his pack but when he glanced back at Ellexis. Her eyes rolled and she turned towards the door of the cabin. He quickly shoved the various items back in. Abel traveled even more lightly than his companion. Only having various notes on locations they’ve been too and his journal. Once his pack was squared away he grabbed his claymore that also rested at the nightstand and sheathed it along his waist.

“Wait for me Elle! How’re you going to talk to people without me?”

His smirk was wide and he gave a little wink before being punched in the side.

“I can talk to people just fine. I choose not too.”

“I shit rainbows. Let’s go.”

The two walked out of the cabin saying their goodbyes to the captain. Solid ground was such a nice feeling to them. Three days at sea was far too much for any of them. Even one was too much, but it had to be done unless they wanted to get here a month past the date.

Elambra was nice enough. It reminded them of the city they grew up in, Calus. Though Calus was more of a fort than city, it was still nice to see stone walkways and a horizon that wasn’t endless water.

Abel glanced at the note in his hand. The writing was easy on the eyes and the paper had a nice feel to it. This wasn’t some scam to take their money, or finally finish the job years ago. It was something important; hence why both of them came all this way. The writing had two words on it in black ink, “Redstone Tavern”. Neither him or Ellexis heard of the place so asking directions from another passenger on the boat. Not a hard place to get to, just a bit of walking.

By the time that they arrived at the tavern the sun was already heading in for the night. The smell of ale and food poured out from the tavern.

“We’re getting a drink and food after this done.”

Abel said his hand already on the door.

“I don’t drink.”

Ellexis said getting closer to him.

“You are tonight. I need a drinking partner.”

He gave his smirk and walked in. The smell was even stronger. He could practically taste the searing meat and hops. The place had a nice vibe to it. Warm and cosy. It reminded him of his manor as a kid but the memory soon faded as Ellexis poked Abel’s side. She held out the small coin to him. He stanched it up walking to the counter. The barmaid reached for a glass but he cut her off.

“No drink yet.”

He tried to put on a more hardass tone, but he noticed the small giggle from behind him. Abel reached back and gave a light tap on the head of the giggling girl behind him.

“I’m guessing you know where to take me?”

She gave a slight nod before taking him into the back room. In the room was a hatch down. It was slightly cracked from being opened before.

“I guess this is place.”

Ellexis piped up.

“Seems so. Well, in we go.”

Abel went first, followed close by Ellexis. The cellar was a bit colder and had a tense feeling in the air. Many people sat around a large table with a young man at the head.

“Ah, two more. Sit down and keep your mouths shut. Though I can see one of you already knows to do this.”

They sat down awaiting the man to begin.

"Well boys, looks like I'm off on some adventure. Hopefully we can get some gold out of this one" Gael said to his men as he drank with them, all loud and boisterous. "We'll hold it down for ya Captain" one of his men said as he stumbled towards him shaking his hand. Gael followed a large bearded fellow to a table with a young man at the head. "I take it we're getting paid handsomely for this task are we not? Please don't waste my time" he growled as he looked around the table drinking mead from his horn.

Clairette entered a seedy bar, clearly out of place, surrounded by royal guard. "Could they not have picked somewhere civilized to meet" Clairette whispered to herself. She entered the back room glancing around at the cast of travelers they had gathered. "I see this is the finest place that we could have met" she said sarcastically to the rest of the room. A barmaid entered offering Clairette a drink "No thank you darling, not this swill".

The cloaked man - Jack - nodded to the gathered group, first addressing certain concerns. "The reward amount should've been laid out upfront, though frankly it's none of my business if some bloke forgot to give you the proper details," the cloaked man spoke, interlocking his fingers as he surveyed this motley crew of people. "That's not my responsibility. Otherwise you wouldn't have shown up, yes?" he added, shooting a glare back at the hostile man. He cleared his throat and laid out a clean map onto the table, holding down the furled corners with small pins. "Listen, princess," Jack sighed as he was met with another comment. "Fancy isn't discreet. We've got moles hiding in our ranks but we don't know where they're coming from - that's why we've arranged these spontaneous meeting locations, so our cover won't be blown on day one." He lifted a bottle from the ground and thumbed off the cork, pouring himself off a shot of whiskey. Raising a brow, he looked around once more. "Anyone else want to run their mouth or can I start?" From the side, an equally unpleasant man threw his arm up.

"Nobody said anything about this!" he began with a snap. "All we were told was that we had a job to do, not that some filthy assassins would be hiding around the corner waiting to pick us off one-by-one! They're right, this is bullshit."

"Don't get mad at me," Jack groaned, burying his face in his hand. "I'm not the one that decides all this, alright? I'm just here to brief you in a place where we can safely talk, that's it." With that said, he rose to his feet and began marking up the map with a quill to hurry and get this over with. His sleeve smudged over some of the ink as he was going across, but nothing that made the lines confusing. "This. . . is us. Elambra, a shitty fishing village on the edge of piss-all," he started. He drew a line that led southward, down into uncharted territory. "Your destination. . . down here. Now, this area is inhabited, but no cartographer has the balls to stay down there and draw us a map - we've only made out bits and pieces from the different scraps we've gotten back but it ain't gonna help ya." Jack took a shot of his drink and continued. "You are to locate the anomaly and send a report back however you'd like. When you've found it, stay where you are until our kingdom operatives have arrived to extract it or clear the area. Unless you don't want your paycheck, by no means are you permitted to interact with the anomaly unless absolutely necessary. That understood?"

Unpinning the map, Jack rolled it back up and put it away, producing a bundle of similar but smaller maps from a crate by his chair. He handed each person present with the map and notes briefly detailing the guidelines of their mission that had just been discussed. That, and a forward payment of 30 gold pieces to help them along their journey. "So, yeah. Watch out for Laoan assassins - god knows they'll catch up with you soon enough. With that said, it's expected that you'll be working in a group, though it's not necessary. If you've got your own agenda, you're free to leave now." At his words, several people shuffled around and packed their things, parting up the stairs. There were only six others remaining, not including Jack. "Well, looks like you'll be working together from now on," he said heartily, patting their backs with unnecessary force. "You can stick together the whole way through, split up, it doesn't matter. Just know that it won't be easy on your own. That'll be all." Jack picked up his baggage and quickly departed the scene.

Kajin leaned back in his chair and studied the faces of what could be his future teammates. Oddly balanced, he thought, stroking his chin. The girls are looking a little young to be on a dangerous trip like this. Don't look like they put up much of a fight, either. That leaves the stoic muscle-head and the short-fuse - always a great combination. Grinning to himself, he stood up from his chair and planted his hands on the table.

"Pleasure to meet you all, you can call me Kajin," he introduced himself, folding his arms over his chest. Naora shuffled in a little bit, taking another calming breath before stepping up herself. She threw her hands behind her back and fidgeted with her fingers, quickly glancing from person to person.

"I'm Naora," she said softly with a short bow, but loudly enough for the others to hear. "I hope we can get along."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back