System/Mechanics sci-fi and science

Vata-Raven

Out of curiosity, does anyone else here apply real-life science and theories to stories within the sci-fi genre?

I am currently researching the how meta powers would be possible in a modern Earth setting.

Like for example, I read how telepathy could be possible via radio waves.

The research process is fun and interesting to me.

I'd love to hear from others about this topic.

All sci-fi stories have some sort of real life science as backbone, I believe :)
While true, but sometimes I feel there are some works that say it's sci-fi, but don't apply a science/tech behind it that could make it seem possible, so they don't explain it. Perhaps the term sci-fi means different things to others, but to me, it means the non-real world tech and science is explained.

However, the multiple layers of science that support said world are way too much to assimilate by simply explaining them to my potential roleplayer partner(s), so that is kind of frustrating :-_-lines: My advice on that matter: keep the concept simple, because then you'll end up with somehting that is hard to work with. Or try to simplify the side concepts. Sometimes, less is more :)
My research is for a personal project (maybe I'll use it for a role-play, who knows), but I feel your issue may be solved by have 1 core concept on how to use the tech/science, but people use the idea differently. Take telekinesis for example, it allows the user to move things without touching it, but in theory, they could bend elements (Last Air Bender stuff); it's an effect of controlling the positive and negative charges of the object.

Ah, and thank you for the video, I'll look into when I can.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back