Scalebound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stepping back into the cold rain is all the more uncomfortable coming from the warmth of the barracks. Following the instructions Hilia gave, and looking for the sign she spoke of, the group manages to find The Proud Canary. The sign indeed is hard to miss -- even in the dark and damp, somehow the yellow still shines brightly, catching the eye as it swings gently from the occasional breeze.

Two wide windows cover the front wall, facing the street, with a large door attempting to keep the warmth in. Through the windows, it seems fairly calm inside -- at this point in the night, most people are passed out, be it at a tavern or snug in their beds. Entering inside, there's a bar-top along the side wall, currently with one person manning it by themselves -- looks to be a human male of middle age, though none of you are too familiar with human age-ranges to be too sure.

Looking across the few tables, you spot a few that seem to still be wearing similar armor to what the guards had on -- some are quietly talking at tables, a few playing a few hands of cards, and one or two seem to have fallen asleep at their tables, hands wrapped around their mugs. The human tending the bar sits on a stool behind the counter, flipping through what looks like a ledger perhaps, glancing up every so often in case someone wants his attention.

As you enter, a few patrons look towards the door, but either don't care or are too tired to see very far, they all turn back to their respective tasks. The bartender looks up a little longer, waiting to see what will happen with such a strange mix of patrons suddenly entering. He closes the ledger and puts it below the bar before speaking,
"Aye ... I'd seen a lot I thought, but this is a new one for me. What can I do for you all this damp and dreary night, eh?" He seems to be trying to keep an eye on all of you at the same time as he talks.

"I do not want to be here any more than you do, Kadaru. I agree with Ixen though, we need to be cautious, and I for one need a full belly and rest before I can tackle any problems to the best of my ability. Ah, here we are." Montsombre spotted the bright yellow canary sign, and opened the door and stepped inside.

Montsombre eyed the bartender as he spoke, noticing the tension in his neck and shoulders as they walked up to the bar. One of these days, I hope people are going to be used to our kind. I am tired of everyone being afraid of us; I only want people I'm trying to scare to be terrified of me. With a sigh, Montsombre took off his sopping wet cloak and hung it to dry, then sat at the bar. Smiling wearily at the bartender, he said, "How much for a hot meal and an ale?"

With the potential for some coin to be made, the bartender steps forward to where Montsombre has seated himself at the bar. "Well, this late we don't got nuthin' fancylike, but I still got some lamb warmed up, and ale always o'course." He idly runs a damp cloth across the bar as he continues, "Put you back about ten copper for the meal." He glances across the rest of the group, "Er ... they be wanting the same?"

Ixen pauses to consider, then perches on a seat next to Montsombre. "This one will have a meal,," she says, reaching into a pouch of jumbled coins to fish for coppers. "And lodging for six."

«Food and ale please, barkeep.»

Alenas sits down and pulls out his lute, playing melancholy and somber tones, matching the weather outside and his mood bacause of the weather.

Kadaru quietly hisses at the rebukes and follows his companions into the the Proud Canary. Pushing a stool aside, the cleric leans against the bar on the other side of Montsombre. When the price of meal is said he places the coins on the bartop. It's only when the barkeep leaves that he continues the conversation, "Yes, the lizard kind are for survival and it is the strong that survive. I have no wounds, my body does not ache... " he pauses for a moment as he contemplates his next words. Finally, with a sigh, he continues "we are strong as many, this one will rest as you say."

Quickly the bartender grabs the coins, making sure to try and avoid any skin contact, and nods as he heads off towards the kitchen. You all can hear some faint words spoken before he returns towards Ixen. "Rooms, eh? I got some empty rooms," he looks over the group. "I assume they're fine for your kind. Six rooms for you lot," he does some mental math on his fingers before continuing, "that'll be eighteen silver total." He thinks for a moment, "Yep. Eighteen silver."

A voice calls out from the kitchen doors behind him,
"Cheny! Plates up!"

Cheny, the bartender quickly returns to the kitchen, bringing out the plates of food, placing them infront of you all, but keeping at the edge of his reach even still. After placing them down, watching out the corner of his eye, somewhat interested to see if any of you reach for the utensils, he moves to filling mugs with ale as well, delivering them to each of you.

He moves back towards Ixen, leaning on the bartop expectantly,
"Well?"

With a plate of steaming food laid in front of her, Ixen quickly forgets about the almost-argument with her tribe mates. Thankfully she does remember to pick up some utensils, if only for the sake of the unfamiliar company. Should Cheny stick around, he certainly won't be impressed by how she puts them to use.

Then she catches the bartender's eye. Oh no, something's expected of her. Conversation? Judgement of the food and drink being provided? She isn't good at that. Hoping he's just after the money, she reaches back inside her pouch and draws out nineteen silver coins, one of which she deliberately sets down aside from the rest on the bar.

"Expressing the tribe's gratitude for adequate service," she says before setting about her meal. Most of it goes down barely chewed.

Thisk waits until the food is within reach, then he suddenly snaps forward, grabbing a piece in his jaws without bothering to use utensils. He wolfs it down, mirth twinkling in his eyes as he watches the humans to see how they react.

Montsombre rolls his eyes at Thisk's antics, but can't really blame him. He makes sure to use the utensils, and uses them properly, just like mother and father had taught him. As he sees Ixen removing the silver from her purse, he counts out 3 silver and 2 copper and passes them to her. "I appreciate the gesture my dear, but I would not expect you to pay for all of us. Here is my payment." Finishing his mug of ale, Montsombre lets out a slightly acidic belch, then nods in thanks to the bartender. He goes to get up and retire to his room, but thinks twice and sits back down. Looking at his companions, he said "I suppose before we get some sleep, we can talk a bit about this job that we've been hired to complete. There is a manor that disappeared. I say we go to the site, investigate what we can, then talk to that group of mages that won't help these people out. Any other suggestions?"

Nassa lifts her plate of lamb and carries it with her to a table almost so far from the others she seems separate. From her table she lays piercing eyes on her comrades, eating small, delicate bites of food and not touching her ale.

The others can hear her muttering to herself softly, holding the amulet to her chest. Whether or not they know it is a prayer of sorts, Nassa ponders, is up to whether they have been paying attention. After her prayer her amulet drops from her hand and she sits higher, chin raised.

"All answers will come in the morn, I suspect, but perhaps further investigation tonight. Yes, this will do no harm. We are in need sleep, however. Dull blood fades and cracks."

Satisfied, she rewards herself with a slightly larger bite of lamb, but decides she is finished before half her plate is gone.

Cheny collects the various coin offered to him, nodding a small thanks while he tries to avoid watching the group eat. He brings out six small keys, each with a small number engraved on them, which he explains matches the room number it belongs to. The group has rooms 2, 3, 5, 8, 9, 12 to be distributed amongst themselves as preferred. After storing the money, he returns to chatting with another patron further down the bar, occasionally glancing towards the party in case he's needed.

If any of the group glances around the rest of the room, it seems the last of the other patrons that were still awake have left by now -- be it to avoid the group, or just to finally go home. Out of the kitchen behind the bar, a male halfling leaves, waving to Cheny and giving farewell for the night.

Eventually it's Cheny, the party, and any passed out patrons left in the main room. Thunder can occasionally be heard outside, though the rain sounds like it eased off from earlier. Watching Cheny, he's apparently pulled out a small book and is sitting in the corner, reading, and waiting to lock up for the night.

«I agree Monty. Checking out the manor missing is probably a good place to start, and talking to the unwilling mages. Something must be keeping then from helping the investigation.»

Alenas finished up the meal, gathers a room-key from Ixen while paying his share back to her with a nod and thanks. Then he stands up, walks to the barkeep, grabs a nearby chair and sits down next to him.

«So, I would assume you might know why we are in town by now. I know words travel fast in places like this, and the barkeep is often the one who gathers news first. Whats the talk around the people concerning the missing manor?»

Alenas puts on his most charming and trustworthy behaviour, smiling at Cheny as he speaks.

Cheny looked up from his book, rubbing his eyes. He leans back in his chair as he studies Alenas for a moment, "Word travels fast, aye, and it travels even faster when the guards prefer your bar after their shift." Marking his place in the book, he placed it on the counter.

"Honestly, most people are keeping away from it. The owner was a local artist, and you know how they can be." He waved a hand idly in the air,"Well, I assume you do. Dunno if you Bathnil-kin have artists. A few nights ago there was a weird noise, no one really thought much -- probably just mages doing one of their experiments. That is," he leans closer, building up the tension, "until the morning, and we found out what happened: the entire manor was gone!"

Moving to pick up his book again,
"Some people think it was a mage fuckup, some think it was the woman's collection, and a few romantics think it was a falling out that got a bit intense." Cheny shrugs, "My only real connection to her was I hired her when she was younger to paint my sign. Good work, somehow she can make colors more ... just MORE."

«Sounds like a fascinating woman. Anything else you can tell me about her that might be useful? And can you descrive the sound to me?»

Alenas notices the man reaching for his book, and smiles to the man again.

«Myself and my companions will retire to our rooms shortly, I know how long the days in a place like this can be.»

Drifting off for a second, remembering the smells and sounds from his childhood, before focusing on Cheny.

"Her name is ... was, whatever, Brewe Aseah. She's got a few servants still around town somewhere, unless they disappeared too." Thinking on the sound he looks off into space, trying to figure out how to describe it. "It ... I'm sure smarter folk than me could describe it better, but it ... sounded like something being .. taken? I suppose like putting something down, but in reverse, if that makes sense." Cheny shrugs, "I'm just a barkeep, I don't understand the fancy-talk that gets thrown around sometimes."

«I am sure you understand a lot more than you give yourself credit for. Last question before I leave you to your book: Know the name of the servants? Might be they know something wortwhile.»

Cheny scratches his chin, "Mmm... I think the maid's name was Eryet Bourne, and I think she had a butler named Lesym Payne as well."

«Thank you for your time. And I promise you my gang won’t be a bother to you, even thought we might be the most ordinary gathering of people.»

Alenas slips a couple of silvers to the barkeep, gives a quick nod with a smile, and joins the group again, passing on all he learned.

«I’ll get some sleep now, but the mansion, mages and the servants are worth talking to tommorow. Good night to you all.»

Ixen wordlessly hands Alenas the key to Room 2, takes his and Montsombre's offered coins and stows them away along with a room key of her own, spreading the rest out on the bar for the others to take as they like. As the dragonborn outlines the plan for the coming morning she pays close attention, looking away only to glance at Nassa's half-eaten meal sitting distractingly on the far table. By the time Alenas returns, she's started to restlessly whisk her tail.

"Good night, musician. This one will be lodging in the third room. Should you come under attack, you may call her with a shout once the tribe has retired." She pauses for a moment, then stands. "In fact, this one will retire along with you. You will not be isolated on the upper floor."

Montsombre listens to Alenas' questioning with an approving nod. Glad to have someone here who can think this through and ask the important questions. I can't be expected to remember everything can I?

After, Montsombre asks for the key to one of the rooms and gets room 9. "Goodnight friends. Tomorrow we shall make some headway on this mystery." And with that he just silently walks away to retire to his room. When he entered, he carefully draped his chainmail over one of the chairs in the room, and placed his flail close by on the table next to his bed. Lastly he took his dagger with Dastudr carved into the hilt, and placed it under his pillow before finally getting into bed himself, and drifting off to sleep.

Thisk wolfs down his food quickly, and listens as Alenas pulls information out of the human. Brewe Aseah. Eryet Bourne. Lesym Payne. The hunter repeats these in his head until he is sure to remember them. Two servants and a painter who might be supernaturally skilled. It didn't make sense yet, but Thisk trusted it would when they had gathered enough pieces of the puzzle.

https://www.rpnation.com/rating/like?content_type=post&content_id=8936371&rating_type_id=1

Kadaru refrains from partaking in the meats. He had meant what he said, he did not hunger. When the room keys are brought out he snatches one quickly, not caring about the room number, and heads towards the rooms. Finding his room with little trouble he closes the door behind him and immediately begins his evening rituals. Leaning his shield and sword against the small table next to the bed, he sets his pack down and begins rummaging through the items contained inside. He pulls out the skull of a small animal from his pack and sets it in the middle of the room on the wooden floor. The cleric then removes the holy symbol of Essyllis from around his neck and sets it on the floor before the skull. Finally he bows down in front of the symbol, murmuring his prayers underneath his breath.

You all eventually find yourselves asleep, or at least waiting for time to pass in whatever manner you tend to. The storm picked up at some point in the night, a few times the thunder made the building shake a little, perhaps waking a few of you, perhaps you merely slept through it, unconcerned and uninterested in what the sky decides to do.

Finally though, it is a new day.

None of the rooms have windows, so it's difficult to entirely gauge what time it is based on how light it is outside, but most of you get the sense it's around 7:30 in the morning. Some noise can be heard down the hallways coming from the main room.

The day is yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back