• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern ‹ sanctuary › info

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

allure

angel eyes ♡
GENERAL Info
I'm going to explain everything to the best of my ability, but if you have any other questions, please hit me up on Discord (allure#1233)

How will you choose the murderer?
After accepting characters, I will be plugging all of them into a random generator. Whoever is chosen by the generator will be the murderer. There will also be a 12% chance that the generator picks two characters, which means that they worked together to murder Kitae.​

Are our characters supposed to be students at YAA?
All college students are on their extended winter break when the rp starts, so no, your characters do not have to attend YAA. It's one way your character could have known him, but it's not the only way.​

What if I don't want my character to be the murderer?
Just DM me on Discord and let me know after your character is accepted if this is the case.​

Will the rp actually last 30 full days in-character?
No; we will be rping based around character interaction and events. There will be plenty of timeskips. In fact, the rp will begin on Day 5 after the suspects have been arrested. We'll focus on important character interactions and on what happens whenever anyone decides to start shit [see below]).​

So how do I get my character to start shit without making it obvious that they're responsible?
Some examples of starting shit: planting fake evidence, sending an anonymous message, leaving a tip for the police, etc.​
If you want your character to do something similar to what's listed and not have their identity revealed, DM me with information on what your character plans to do. As the GM and the person controlling the flow of information to everyone, there’s really no way for me to avoid knowing about everything that happens. However, you can be as vague with the telling as you want (ex. only describing their action, not their intention or motivation behind it). Multiple characters can also team up to start shit. The messenger can feel free to leave me in the dark about any other characters involved.​
After I receive a SSDM (Shit Starting DM), I will do one of two things:​
a. If the event would affect all/multiple characters, I'll make a general post in the IC thread describing the event.​
b. If the event is only directed at one character (ex. an anonymous message left in someone's bedroom or something), I'll DM that character's player and let them reveal the event in their next IC post.​
I will inform you if what your character is attempting to do in your SSDM would be impossible, unrealistic, or could possible get them in trouble (see: In-Character Consequences).​

Last edited:
ABOUT Yunam

Yunam is a charming mountain town and popular vacation spot for tourists from all across Korea. It hosts one of the most notable cherry blossom festivals in the country, the Yunam Flower Festival. The town has a population of a little over 15,000 people. Its architecture has a rustic style to compliment the scenery while still maintaining a bright and modern aesthetic. There are stairs and ramps interspersed throughout the steep, winding, and narrow streets. Cars are an inconvenient and dangerous mode of transportation on many of these streets, so the majority of the locals ride bikes instead. Yunam also boasts Yunam Academy of the Arts (or YAA), an arts college with a very strong presence on social media.

The Yunam Flower Festival lasts five days. The days leading up to it are the busiest days of the year for the locals as they scramble to prepare and have everything ready for the inevitable influx of tourists. The festival begins with a parade led by the local schoolchildren down Yunam’s main street, Orchard Boulevard. The children don cherry blossom-themed clothing for the festivities. It has become tradition for the rich families to order custom-made embroidered hanboks for their kids. This clearly distinguishes the wealthy children from the others and instills in them the concept of separation of the social classes from an early age.

In Yunam, the different socioeconomic classes stick together. The rich run with the rich, the middle class with the middle class, and the poor with the poor. It’s uncommon to find people from different economic backgrounds in the same social circle. However, one thing that unites the people is their dislike for outsiders. They welcome tourists, but when newcomers actually move to Yunam for good and interrupt the familiarity of local life, Yunam natives are exceedingly distrustful of them. Sometimes the wariness and suspicion go away with time and sometimes they don’t - it all depends on whether the townspeople think the outsider is worthy of acceptance. After all, Yunam is a very conservative community.

THE BEANCCINO_ One strange thing about Yunam is that everyone drinks tea. The local drink of choice is not coffee, like in the city, but tea. In fact, the only coffee shop in Yunam, The Beanccino, is reputed to be a place where delinquents hang out. Business at this coffee shop lags when the town isn't filled with tourists, but it's a convenient location for people who want to meet in secret - away from the prying eyes of the town.
ROMANCE BRIDGE_ It is said that anyone who catches a falling cherry blossom on this bridge will meet their true love at that spot in the future. This bridge is the widest and sturdiest of several wooden bridges that cross over the Windy Way, a sunken passage that consists of two sidewalks on either side of the Windy Stream.
HAVEN LAKE_ This lake, once a peaceful feature of Quail Park, has now been tainted by the death of Lee Kitae. The lake is the site where his body was found. Windy Stream feeds into the lake.
HIKING TRAILS_ There are scenic hiking trails that weave through the forest to the east. Pay-per-view binoculars are set up at high points for sightseers, and there are several wooden bridges that span over deep gorges.
NORTHERN SQUARE_ The northernmost side of town is the part devoted to tourism. There, you’ll find family-run inns and a shopping center with an arcade, gift shop, and a few high-class restaurants. During the peak season, the locals tend to stay away from this part of town in order to leave room for the tourists. However, during the winter, this area is just another part of town.

Last edited:
ABOUT Lee Kitae

Everyone knew Lee Kitae. Even tourists sometimes thought he was an urban legend, some fantastical man from folklore, because of the way his name was tossed around. “Kitae” was another way of saying “talented” or “good at everything.” It was true that the young man was brilliant. He was intelligent, athletic, charismatic, and, of course, artistic. But in reality, he wasn't the godlike prodigy that the townspeople made him out to be. Still, it didn’t matter that he had grown up in Yunam, that they had seen him scrape his knees and play mean pranks on girls. What mattered was the way he could entrance a crowd with his voice. What mattered were the portraits he created, so lifelike that they seemed to breathe on the canvas. Everyone was sure that one day, Kitae would be discovered and whisked away to the big city, and he would become the mascot of their modest town. He was put on a pedestal so high that most people, especially his peers, just assumed that the 23-year-old student was better than them…

But only better on a physical level. Although he was renowned for his talents, he wasn't so highly praised for having an upstanding moral character. Even so, the great majority of Yunam believed he was a perfectly nice guy. Sure, he was kind of a player and maybe a little arrogant, but he wasn’t bad at all, they thought. Only a small number of people suspected the truth: Kitae was an asshole, simple as that. If he lived a single day without getting any compliments, he'd think there was something seriously wrong. After all, it was hard to not let it get to his head when practically everyone he knew had been hyping him up for years. For Kitae, life in Yunam truly revolved around him. He was the bright white moon hanging in the night sky, and everyone else was just the pinpricks of stars surrounding him. He had a reputation to maintain, though. If it turned out that he wasn’t as good at something as he thought he would be, he’d get someone else to do his work for him. Kitae accomplished a lot through deceiving and taking advantage of others. Among his many talents was an infuriating skill for manipulation.

Even those who hated him couldn’t guess at the full scope of his dark secrets. Kitae suffered from a severe case of manic depression that was left to fester due to pressure from his parents. They were sure that the stigma of mental illness would ruin their son's image. Bitter and untreated, Kitae directed bouts of volatile anger at anyone who wouldn't go around telling people about it: his younger sibling, his best friends, and the romantic partners he knew were in love with him. He developed a deep resentment towards anyone who didn’t believe he was God’s gift to Yunam. If a fellow student at YAA openly criticized him, he made sure to hurt their social status and drop them to the bottom as best he could. Lee Kitae's death has been regarded as a local tragedy, but let’s just say that some people are beyond relieved to see him go.

IN-CHARACTER Consequences
CURFEW_ All of the suspects are restricted by a curfew, and everyone in Yunam knows about it. They must be in their homes by 10:00 pm. A police officer will drop by their residence every night at around this time to check on them. However, as time goes on, if your character is always at home when the officer comes, the officer may get lax about checking every night. Your character can sneak out past ten o’clock, but they have to do so under the assumption that anyone who sees them out and about will report them.

NO SCHOOL_ All students, high school and college, are on winter break until the end of January. YAA's office is open, but students are not allowed to enter the other buildings (doesn't mean your character can't try to break in if they have good reason to).

THE POLICE_ As GM, I have the executive power to send the po-po after your characters whenever they're doing something they shouldn't be doing. When this happens, I'll include whether your character is caught automatically or whether they have a chance to escape. If they're caught, there are different consequences depending on the severity of the infraction. Here are a couple:
- Being out past curfew: House arrest for the next day
- Trespassing: Arrested and detained​
Word gets around very quickly in Yunam, so the town and the other suspects will find out if your character gets in any kind of trouble. I will only be sending the police after characters if I think that it could move the plot along somehow, so don't worry about it happening often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back