• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Sacred Secrets

StarryKnights

A Spastic Collection of Characters and Ideas
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Caster sighed as he trudged up the mountainside. "Why do I always get stuck doing this?" he grumbled under his breath. Pulling his jacket tighter about him, he shivered in the cold, morning air. Though it was heading into summer, the slopes of Spirit Peak.
Foxholm was looking forward to a nice, warm summer after the brutal winter. The small village was nestled in the trees at the base of the mountain, and the people there were a hardy bunch of ranchers, farmers and merchants. Though the town didn't advertise it, they also had a deep connection with the mountain, which was said to be home to the spirits of their ancestors. Once worship of these spirits was a daily occurrence, faith was so important that there had been a family dedicated to the upkeep of the many shrines dotting the mountain.

Sadly for Caster, he belonged to said family, the Vogel clan. Though most people had left the ancient traditions in the past, Caster's grandmother, Lady Willow, insisted the boy make the trip once a month up the slopes to tend to the shrines. He had to clean them and leave offerings for the spirits, less the town earn the ire of those dwelling in the spirit realm.
"Crazy old bat...". The teen grumbled, he was nearly to the last shrine, which happened to be the oldest. He didn't even remember what spirit was supposed to dwell here...but his grandma always said to leave the nicest offering here. Today, that offering was some bread Willow had made, as well as some special charms... Caster didn't see any real point in leaving them on the footsteps of a decaying old building, but he was willing to do it if only to make his grandma shut up about it.
The teen breathed a sigh of relief as the shrine came into view. It was a simple, wooden structure, inside which there was a small, forgotten alter. No one had been up here to worship in years...

The mountains were cool, snow resting on the peaks of them at nearly all times of the year. The wind carried with it a bite and the trees had nothing but their bare limbs on them. Birds circled above, hunting for any scraps left behind by things that simply didn't make it up the mountain or the occasional berries left growing on vines.

Once upon a time, the mountain was considered a holy ground. Respected by many and worships by all. The stairs and paths leading up to its peaks were worn with both travel and time. Now days however, it was mostly time that chipped away at the structures. Even the shrines at the top weren't in the best of shape. Long forgotten, neglected. Nothing more than objects that belonged in the past with a history very few cared about any more.

History once said this part of the world was created by two beings. Lovers; spirits who wished to share their joy with others. In order to do that though, they had to create them. When their hearts pounded with excitement, the mountains grew from dirt. When they shed tears of joy, rivers flowed free. When struck with sorrow, lakes formed where they would weep. The wind carried the seeds of their efforts when they laughed and played together. Their love gave life to an empty terrain. Together they gave birth to children to enjoy the lands they created and the children loved their parents greatly. The love kept them strong, even when one passed away. In her sorrow, storms disrupted the land, the earth shook with her wails. So they gave company, gave peace. On the mountains, they would visit so she would not be alone. Food was left so she could have a sense of normality. Then one day... it stopped. Her children quit visiting her, her lover was forgotten. In the end, so was she.

A soft moan purred through the air, easily mistaken for wind through a small nook. A light sort of static buzzed across the top of the mountain as the creature stirred, a long white maw opening and pearly teeth shining. The fox yawned before beginning to stand up, first with its rear pushing up into the air before the position changed and it stretched its neck and shoulders instead. Finally, a small shake. Hearing something like a rock kicking across the ground, ears perked and pupils narrowed. Something was up here. Maybe a meal ticket.

What the fox found was... well, dinner to be honest. It jumped from the roof of the shrine down behind Caster, standing tall. At least five foot. Its fur was a shaggy, mangled mess though. Clearly not taken care of and the creature was rather on the skinny side. Which gave it all the more reason to bare fangs at Caster as it padded closer to him, blue eyes locked on as black lips pulled into a hungry snarl.

"Huh?" Caster stopped as he felt something was...off. The air seemed to be buzzing...the wind kicked up too. He set down the charms and bread he'd be told to leave. He didn't want to be here longer than he absolutely needed to be...
As he stood to leave a large shadow was cast over him, confused green eyes looked up and then widened in fright as a large creature jumped down and landed behind him, kicking up the thin layer of snow. "AHHHH!" The teen stumbled backward as the creature bore it's fangs, his arms went up to protect his head. "Please don't eat me I...". he was shaking, from both fear and cold. "I...I probably won't taste good I...". he peeked between his fingers at the creature. It was snarling at him, and clearly meant to do him harm. And there was nothing he could do about it... Begging wouldn't get through to an animal. The teen sighed in defeat.
"...Just make it quick". he said as he shook his head. All things considered his demise wouldn't be so bad...they'd be more food to go around back home...
Despite his terror he couldn't help but stare in awe at the creature before him.

It was a fox..a very...very large fox. His grandma had told him that their village had been named after a fox spirit that used to bless the lands...in turn, the people built it a shrine. he wondered if maybe this was...
No, no no Caster... That's impossible...the spirits aren't real, he mentally reminded himself. Whatever this thing was, Caster didn't see a way t escape its hungry jaws.
The boy could only hope he looked less than appetizing. Caster was a short, lanky boy, who stood a little over 5'5. He had light brown hair that was growing too long, at the moment he had it tied back in a pony tail, his bangs fell into his eyes, making him appear younger than his 16 years. He was a meek child, never one to confront anything head on. Even now with his life on the line, the boy rolled over quietly. It was easier than making a fuss.

The creature kept a steady eye on the boy, the hairs on its back raised on ends. However the attention fell away from Caster and to the loaf of bread that rolled near her paws and without a second to spare, the fox dug in. Ripping pieces off and chewing loudly, paw pressed down on one end to keep it in place. The loaf didn't last long and it left the fox sniffing around for more. Nothing. She nosed at the charms, disinterested in their lack of flavor before her eyes raised to the young boy again.

"You've done it now, hohoho," a voice chimed in from beside Caster. However there was only a frog sitting there, bulging eyes staring into nothing. When the fox snapped its new, he hopped away in a haste.

Another static buzz shifted the air. The matter fur of the fox ruffled in a stronger breeze that pressed by and she took another step towards Caster. Then another, body seeming to shift under her movements. Finally the boy was met with fingers under his chin, turning his face upwards more as a set of bright blue eyes stared into brown ones. A woman was kneeling before him, skin pale like the snow of the mountains as a wild mess of tangled locks draped over her shoulders and back, hiding her bare form from the near child. She looked older, wiser. A slender face with high cheek bones and wary, cautious eyes. "Why are you here?" She asked sharply, black nails digging lightly into his chin.

Caster flinched as the creature lunged, only to find, after several tense moments, that he was in one piece. He watched as the fox dug into the bread, and gulped. He didn't have anymore of that...he'd only brought the one loaf. His head swiveled to the side as he heard a voice, but found nothing but a frog staring up at him with what he could've sworn was a smile. A devilish little smile... He didn't have long to think about it's origins though as the air crackled again. He looked back to the beast as it approached him, and squeezed his eyes shut tight. This was it...he was going to die fox food... What a way to go.

"Agh" His green eyes flew open and stared up in terror as he felt fingers grab his chin and jerk his gaze upward. His gaze was met by a pair of cold, brown eyes. "Y-your...o-one of the mo-mountain spirits...?" he spoke softly, too shocked to even process what the woman had asked. There was no other explanation for what he was seeing and yet...he could hardly believe it. It seemed that his grandmother hadn't been full of it after all...
The boy gulped and did his best to answer the question. "I...I was told to leave...offerings...". he pointed to the remains of the bread and the charms. "...M-my grandmother told me to do it...s-said it's our family's s-sacred duty...please...don't eat me I probably won't taste very good".

Did spirit eat people? He grew up hearing tales about the good spirits of the mountain...and the darker ones said to dwell beneath it. He could only hope this one wasn't the latter.

The boy was nervous. She watched him though, let him speak. Ah, this was the one who occasionally left behind toys for her to amuse herself with then. It was the boys bloodline that kept her from completely vanishing. All of her children turned their backs on her long ago.

She stood up finally, pulling Caster up as well before she turned and looked over the mountain. Something seemed to change again and finally the woman stepped forward; just behind the shrines where there had been once nothing but more mountains, now rested the sad excuse for a town. It was damn near empty, the buildings old and fallen apart, streets bare and most vendor stands empty. With the exception of one. A short, fat toad-man stood behind it with that wide smile on his face, big eyes staring into nothing as the sun shined down on slimy looking brown and green skin.

"I am the mountain spirit," The woman finally said as she walked under the old, battered wooden sign welcoming them to Lukai. She found a large stone and sat against it, looking over her nails for a moment before she flicked her gaze to Caster. "All that is left, anyways. How did you get past the barrier? I have locked myself away from the humans. No one should have been able to see me."

Caster couldn't help but stare in awe at the town as it appeared out of nowhere. He'd been up and down this mountain all his life, and never had he seen the run down old town. Nor had he seen this woman...or the weird...smiling toad man. Caster found himself following after the woman as she walked under the gate. "Y-your the mountain spirit...?" he stared at the woman in awe. He had to admit...she wasn't what he expected. "I...uh...". he hastily bowed to the woman, unsure of what to do in this situation. Most people in town mocking his family for continuing with the ancient traditions, especially when it came to the spirits. He didn't understand why his grandmother insisted on leaving offerings and actively worshiping. At least, he hadn't until now.

"...I...i don't know Ma'am...". he spoke softly as he peeked up at the woman. "I was just doing as I was told...my...my grandmother...Willow might be able to tell you...". he stood upright, but kept his eyes down. "...All I know is my family...the Vogel's...it's always been our job to act as a...liaison between the people and the spirits...even if now the people don't believe...". He looked up at the woman. "...I've never seen you before today though..I'm not sure what's changed".

"I have no interest in traveling down the mountain to meet anyone," the woman said. There was clearly distaste lingering in her voice; old emotions were hard to rekindle and negative ones even harder to extinguish.

The frog man made his way towards the two of him, his webbed feet plip plip pliping on the ground. "Ohohoho. You see, this is all that has become of our dear Lady Kayugi. This town use to be alive and prosperous with a wealh of spirits traveling through. Trade, food! That was until she quit caring about everything and-"

"That is enough out of you." The woman turned her head some as if to look over her shoulder, but her eyes were focused somewhere else. The frog shied away a bit before he looked at the human boy and licked his lips, eyes closing as his long tongue crossed over each one.

"Would you like to perhaps purchase a pebble, boy?"

"No one wants your pebbles, Toad. There are plenty of them to be found along the mountain trails." The frog huffed a bit before he made his way back to his stand. Kayugi watched him for a moment before she looked back at the human boy. "You are free to leave. There is nothing up here for you to see any more anyways, my dear child. However if you choose to bring more bread, I certainly won't stop you."

"Oh...okay..."
Caster sounded disappointed, he knew his grandmother would've loved to meet this spirit. As it stood she was far to weak to travel up the mountain, the old woman could barely walk. Not to mention someone had to stay home with the girls when Caster went to work. Speaking of which... He was probably going to be late...again.
That was the last of his concerns though, especially as the strange frog man waddled over. Caster couldn't help but shudder as the creature licked his lips. He wondered what had happened to this town though...the frog had said this spirit...Lady Kayugi had stopped caring and...

"Uh...n-no I don't have any money...". Caster shook his head as the frog man hopped away. Whatever that thing was it made the boy visibly uncomfortable.
That wasn't the case for Kayugi though...now that she wasn't a snarling beast she was far more pleasant.

He fiddled with his fingers for a moment as the spirit spoke. She didn't seem to care what he did, one way or the other. Caster was curious, he had a thousand questions for the spirit. Like what was it like to turn into a fox...and why was it she'd sealed herself away from people... And what had she meant when she'd said all her children had left her long ago...

"Uh...I...I'll bring something...better next time. we night have some meat to spare". he offered the spirit a smile. "...I mean...it is...my job apparently...". he chuckled softly. He hadn't believed in the spirits before today...he supposed he owned his grandmother an apology. "Would it be okay if I told my grandma about you...she's...always been dedicated to the ancient traditions...she's the only reason i came up here today...".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back