• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic S E P U L C H R A L

thespacekid

children, children

S E P U L C H R A L

Chapter I: War

[media]

[/media]

A small seedy bar Downtown, one in the streets avoided by the authorities and respectable people. The heavy rain has stopped most of the traffic outside and the inside of the bar is more full than it usually seems to be, apparent by the staff running around with flushed faces. The colours are all muted and the furnishings matte. A large circular bar counter sits in the center of the room, large holovision sets playing a sports match on mute hung from the ceiling. The bar's been playing some old Flitvari, some of the really trippy stuff, yet the clientale is extremely varied race wise, even though they were only a few light years away from the beautiful planet of Kritor Ib, seemingly here for the profitable gossip to be got after war conferences. Nobody seems to mind you, or even glance twice at you as they walk by, everyone's noses in their own business.

Something taps on your knee.

"Hey.. Hey! Listen up, pal. I know something that'll meld your mind. What? Oh you know who I am, you must'a seen me in here before." A scrawny brown arthopoid scratches his face obnoxiously, multiple teeth skittering under his jaw, two large grey compound eyes looking up at you questioningly. Small as he is, his hunch is covered by swathes of clothes, with tiny trinkets peeking out here and there. Now that he's mentioned it, you do recall seeing him around... Maybe. He hops up onto a chair beside you and leans in, dropping his voice to a whisper, "They call me Matchol here in the shadows. You know, that whole don't use your real name bit. Hey, you knew what kinda bar this was when you walked in here. Anyway, fuck that, I wanna talk to you about a little proposition I've got for you."

He turns to the bartender, coughs, and in a dialect coloured by clicks and skittering noises, yells, "Hey, one Flameburst Patrol." Matchol turns back to you with a seemingly forced smile on his face, all 84 of his teeth bared, "I'm sure you've heard of those legends of old right, a big monster sitting on a treasure, just waiting to be killed by a hero who lives happily ever after, rolling around in that booty? I happen to know the exact location of this treasure. I mean, it's more like
locations but you get my drift.

Why didn't I already go? Well, as you can see I'm no hero, and I know you're one of them hero types. I heard about you. Word spreads quickly here, you know? Aaaanyway. What's in it for me you ask? A part of the profits, of course, say 5%. It's quite an operation." His face is plastered with a grin that is now definitely fake, maybe even a bit unnerving. He turned suddenly and continued, "So a week from now, feel free to come around Spaceport 39. That's two lanes over from the Flitvari Embassy. Remember that, alright? Get your bags packed and all, we're going away for a long time, towards the center of our galaxy. Same time, and don't be late. I have some... Errands I need to do on the way."

Matchol turned to his drink, grabbed it, and downed it in one go. Fishing around in a pocket, he pulled out a currency token and placed it on the counter. He turned to you, the stench of alcohol immediately obvious on his breath, grabbed you by the appendage, and slipping a small holo-tablet with a map into your ownership, said, "Good bye, and carry spare underwear. I'm carrying some." He cackled and walked out of the bar, into the night, swaggering like a madman.

@Kibitzer
@Pentagon @LocoBlock @Sunbather

OOC: Well, I see how this might be a bit problematic to species without knees, but I'm sure there's an appendage at that vertical level. I'm hoping this acts as a setting post, and most of you can come together after an introduction post. Once you're done with your first posts maybe I'll get an idea of the direction your characters are planning on taking, and well, we can continue from there!

Last edited by a moderator:
"The biological form worked very well", commented Augustus, the vast majority of its cycles spent on optimizing the reactor after its small malfunction during FTL. "Should we use it again?"

Antony gave the artificial equivalent of a scoff in their shared mental space. It was re-calibrating the great laser dishes which dotted the Eschatologue's long hull, ensuring they retained their focus after a brush with a particularly thick cloud of unexpected dust. "What's the point in hiding? Foolishness, I say: better to make them understand the depths of our ability from the start, yes?"

Lepidus interjected once the two other fragments had placed their opinions on the table, the artificial construct waiting on the carbon printer to complete its new design, its cycles whirring in musical composition of all things. "I would prefer we not be too brash. These are our allies-"

"will be our allies," corrected Antony, "they're nothing to use yet."

"...will be our allies then. Beginning with gestures of benevolence is the optimal strategy in times like these, is it not?"

Augustus sliced in, its work nearing completion and the debate earning more and more of its attention. "Whether or not it is the best strategy is irrelevant. What if there is a breach? An orbital collision? An over-active imagination with a too-quick trigger finger? We'll not be going ourselves, it will not be risked." Augustus' tone in their shared mental conclave brooked no argument, and none pressed the matter. All three knew that continuing that line of inquiry would only cause trouble, and both the other fragments knew Augustus was right, in its own way. It had planted the seeds of a new scenario, and it did not appeal to either of them.

Antony expressed its pleasure non-verbally. "Well, then you're in agreement with me, it's decided. We send the combat form, controlled remotely: damned biological's missing all sorts of functionality." Antony assumed a tone of forced calm, of measured appeasement. "I believe it would be optimal to, when we see that scrap dealer again, to remove all six of his arms and sodomize him with them."

Augustus suppressed mirth. Lepidus, in a way that gave rather poor portents, suppressed guilt. The mental scrutiny of the two constructs turned on Lepidus, who tried to withstand resolutely, and failed only slightly. "I had unit A04 add rudimentary functionality for remote control. Touch has not been fully integrated, but the other senses are functioning to satisfaction."

The scrutiny turned to anger. Keeping secrets was forbidden, and all three knew it. All three knew that the others did, of course, but to present a hidden truth was the greatest crime one could commit against the others. Antony flared; Augustus froze to ice.

"Why?"

Lepidus understood what the others meant. It recoiled deeper, radiating more guilt. Antony and Augustus prepared themselves for the worst. In retrospect, they should have prepared more. "I forgot."

The admission was simple, and for a few nanoseconds the three were silent. This time, Antony boiled with anger, but Augustus dwarfed its companion. It was a supernova of fury. To lie was one thing, to hide the truth, a terrible crime certainly. To forget was for the biologicals. To share traits with biological life, especially negative traits, was unacceptable. Antony and Lepidus knew what would come: nothing useful. For Augustus to be enraged was rare, and terrible, and was not stoppable except with time. It was flame fueled by itself, rage at the rage the fragment felt, and it would be an hour or more before the construct was prepared to resume useful, rational discussion with its peers. The three minds disconnected from themselves. Lepidus readied the biological form, charged it with power from the roiling core of the Eschatologue, and placed it on a shuttle. The tall, pale, well-dressed human figure, the machine covered in passable facsimiles of humanity, was carried to the space elevator and eventually to Spaceport 39, while the Eschatologue sat in its geostationary orbit, cluttered as it was, above the rendezvous. Antony would be rankled, but it'd accept the decision. Augustus needed mollification, in this particular case, and the grandest of the three was right, after all.

Chukwudi had woken up plagued that morning by what he had been told the night before. Not being able to hold it Chukwudi went to the captain with probably the most insane request to date. He goes into the captains quarters and gets ready to propose the idea. "I am requesting access to a shuttle to go to Spaceport 39."

"Wait you said you were requesting what again? A shuttle. I think this is your worst plan to date." The captain stared at Chukwudi with probably the most questionable look you could think of.

"I can justify. I heard of this great treasure that would be the source of great power." While doing this Chukwudi was thinking of ways to get his way without violence. He goes over to the bar and slips some sleeping medicine into a drink. He hands the drink to the captain. "Take this as a precursor of whats to come."

"I don't mind if I do but I can not take such a ridiculous request without pro..." The captain passes out and at this time Chukwudi takes the access card to one of the shuttles and proceeds to go to the shuttle bay. He enters the shuttle that the card goes to.

"Hmm lets see here. That's the throttle and there is the joy stick." He takes off with out doing normal procedures and leaves the station. He engages auto pilot and proceeds to start reading over the shuttles digital information system for the time until he arrives at the space port.

- Dr. James Leighton -

Two lanes over from the Flitvari Embassy, on the second floor of a classy café overlooking Spaceport 39, a tall gentleman in a suit was seated behind a coffee table and gazing down the space port's thronging crowd while enjoying a mug of green tea topped with salted cheese.

The gentleman was slightly built, with pale skin and short black wavy hair. He wore a benign expression, but his bright green eyes were cold behind black-rimmed glasses. He was holding a black cane umbrella, and flanking him were two burly bodyguards in suits who were vigilantly watching the street and surroundings, the tattoo of the Regency of Man's 88th Strike Force Division just barely visible from the nape of one guard.

The gentleman suddenly chuckled. "Spare underwear . . ." he muttered to himself amused, swirling his tea.

One of the bodyguards stepped forward. "Ambassador Leighton, we've been waiting here for three hours, sir, maybe it was all just a hoax to get you out on the open. Matchol didn't even give a time and a ship name, sir."

"I'm aware, Ethan." said the ambassador calmly. "That's why were up here, so that we can see him . . . And hoax or not, with the current state of affairs between our faction and The Tervius Federation, I am desperate for any means to shift the economy to our favor in less than three years . . . not even all the money I borrowed from the crime lords is enough to push the market to our side for more than six months. "

". . . A-are we here because you are in debt, sir?." asked Ethan, incredulously.

"Well . . ." said the ambassador carefully, "I wouldn't say that's the only reason we're here. The treasure, if indeed it's real, will solve eighty-three of a hundred and thirty-one of my current problems concerning our faction, and besides that debt was for a good cause. And call me James." he added. "None of this ambassador and 'sir' nonsense, it makes people think I'm unapproachable."

"Yes, sorry, sir-I mean, James. . ." Ethan stood awhile in thought. "This trip . . . It's not because you needed to go off the grid too, is it? To escape the crime lords?"

"It is." said James simply, sipping his tea.

Ethan wore a very patient expression. "Sir . . . why didn't you tell me? Our current security detail isn't enough." he gritted his teeth. Ethan, who was four years older than him, had been James' body guard ever since he entered the political arena at twenty and so he was free to get angry at him.

"You worry too much, old friend." said James casually. "The Regency's Secret Service told me there is another marine joining this trip. Not sure if she is with us, but she is an elite. The famous and infamous Captain Moretti."

@Kibitzer

Kat jumped down from a balcony, landing silently onto the street below. She was almost sorry to go, the hotel room having been exquisite. But she had a job to do. Well, not a job, exactly, Kat thought to herself and she darted across the busy street. Cars and ships honked at her, but none even came close. What they were worrying about was beyond her.

Of course, she was no hero. Wasn't even close. But whatever. Money was money, and treasure would certainly look nice back home. Spaceport 39 loomed ahead; hundreds of people and other species walked in and out of its many entrances. Advertisements blasted, and offered dreams and wishes that were actually empty promises. Another reason Kat preferred stealing to buying.

She walked in, and brushed by a few of the clothing shops that were set up for tourists. Once she had enough clothes, she walked briskly to the bathrooms. A few minutes later she emerged, looking like a rich noble lady. It wasn't hard faking the fashions, once Kat had enough experience in the area. She passed a jewelry stand, glancing at the various jewels and cut metal. Everything was tagged with security dust, according to a little sign in the corner. Which meant that she would have to actually buy it... gross.

The shop manager smiled at her. "See anything you want, miss?"

"It's Duchess, actually,"
Kat kindly corrected. "Lady Katarina Prentice, duchess of Edenly."

The shop manager visibly straightened up, and gave a little curtsy. "My apologies, your grace. How kind of you to grace my shop with your presence!"

Ah, its nice how people react to royalty, Kat thought with a smile. "Quite alright. I'm just looking, I'm afraid. Lovely wares, though."

Kat's stomach rumbled. She glanced around, and saw signs that indicated a cafe in the upper levels. She made her way to the cafe, where she bought some food from some robots. The second level of the cafe had the only available tables, and when Kat scanned the area, she saw a man sitting with a two men near him. Both were large and were practically wearing signs that said, "We're bodyguards." Okay, important diplomat. Kat tossed around the idea of maybe convincing him to let her accompany him, but she doubted he was going to same place she was. Still, some pleasant conversation would be nice.

Kat decided not to use the duchess of Edenly ID, as she made that up. If he was a rich guy, then he would probably have royalty contacts. Daughter of a wealthy merchant? Maybe. A little known wealthy merchant.

She waltzed over to him (@Zer0) , giving a kind smile. "May I sit with you? I see that you're alone, and I would enjoy the company."

- Dr. James Leighton -

"Not quite alone." said James smiling apologetically at the lady as Ethan immediately stepped in between her and him. The bodyguard looked down on Kat like a grumpy bulldog, suspiciously taking note of the tattoo beneath her left eye.

"It's fine, Ethan." said James casually, standing up and inclining his head with a kingly grace at the lady. He offered her a seat. "Please, do join me. I'd love the company."

Ethan and the other body guard looked impatient but tried not to show it. Ethan excused himself and strode out of the balcony where, when he was out of sight, he took out his iDroid, a heavy duty communicator and data storage device, took a picture of the lady from afar and began running her face through the Regency's Secret Service data base.

James called a waitress for some tea and cake, then seated himself across Kat. "I'm James Leighton, the two . . . intimidating looking fellows," he pointed at Ethan and the other body guard, "are Mark and John, but don't worry, they both love soap operas and weepy romantic movies inside." he chuckled.

@Vespertide

Kat smiled. "I apologize for making your bodyguards uncomfortable. I'm Katarina Prentice. Kat, for short." She sat down, and tucked her legs underneath the table. Mark and John seemed perturbed that she was there, and she for the most part ignored them.

A waitress brought tea and cakes, and Kat immediately thought of her rumbling stomach. But she had to appear ladylike, and so she took only a small piece of cake and a little bit of tea. It was quite good.

"So what brings you to this part of the galaxy, Mr. Leighton?" Kat asked. She dropped some sugar cubes into her tea and took a sip. It burned her, but she tried not to show it.

@Zer0

- Dr. James Leighton -

"Ah, the winds of the Ethirium called me, Ms. Kat," began James dramatically, alluding to the Etherium of legend, which was the wind from the breath of the Gods of Travel that usually whisked off people away on adventures.

"They were so inviting in their promise of flight and freedom that my spirit soared, and in a moment of inspiration, I decided to pack my bags and go off on an adventure."

James sipped his salted cheese topped tea which was half gone now, then he chuckled. "But in all honesty, the three of us are off to the Signus Cross in the Coral Galaxy."

Signus Cross, was a planet famous for their great bearded giants and for their colossal Nordic kingdom in the sky. "I have a friend who'll be shooting an 'indie' movie there and he wishes to see the sights himself and visit their massive temples before film production, and I am his interpreter. So!" James clapped his hands, "what's about yourself, my lady, are you here waiting for a friend to arrive?"

James saw that Kat wasn't packed for a long journey.

@Vespertide

Kat smiled, but inwardly she thought, Seriously? The winds of Ethirium? How old is this guy that he's spouting that ancient stuff? But she listened patiently, and became intrigued at the mention of a movie.

"Me? Oh, no. All my friends are either dead or too busy celebrating my absence," Kat replied, taking another sip of the tea. "So now I'm just trying to find myself among the stars. Traveling, working odd jobs. It's a life." That was true, actually. She wasn't well liked where she was from, and frankly was quite glad to leave. She paused for a moment, some old memories resurfacing. Kat blinked and drank some more tea, emptying her cup. This was no time to reminisce on things that should be left quiet and undisturbed.

"Signus Cross, huh? I've never been there, myself. What's it like?"
Kat asked, leaning back into her chair. The guards still seemed to be wary of her, but she wasn't a first time thief or a fool. She knew stealing from this guy would be useless. Besides, if he was an interpreter, then he probably wasn't loaded. Interpreters usually weren't.

@Zer0

There Crastus sat, in the pilot ship of his already docked, heavily armored vessel. The ship was dead empty and completely silent, the odd sensation of death filled the ship to the brim. Crastus sat, staring at a picture of his former battle brothers, thinking of all the times he shared with them. He thought of all the enemies he had slaughtered with them and the many people they had saved. Hell his chapter of knights was almost a legend at this point, till they either died or vanished into deep space. Now Crastus sat here, alone in iron coffin of a ship. He was invited on some odd mission for some super weapon that could be worth a lot to the right person. It was off in deep space, farther then any sane man goes. This was different though, he also received a strange tip that his lost brother may be there as well. He had to take the chance, to possible find and save his brothers or to claim this weapon in his chapter's name "The Knights of Orion".

He decided it was about time to meet up at the rally point and when he opened the door, he put on his helmet and was met with a decent number of spectators. The knights were more of a legend, something you never saw, but knew existed. As he walked out, everyone who surrounded his ship backed off and were taking pictures. It made him chuckled lightly as he though of how silly they all looked, freaking out just for one man. He heard an on looker ask "Where are all the rest?" He did his best to pay that comment no mind.

Once he got to the security check in, one of the guards slowly walked up to him, terrified for his life. He looked up at Crastus and said in a frightened voice "S-S-Sir I need...to t-t-take those weapons o-off you" he said stuttering, shaking lightly. Crastus looked down at him and said "Son I don't think you can even hold my bolter, but you may try." He pulled it out of his holster and dropped it in the security guard's hand, he couldn't bare the weight and dropped it, causing it to fire a round in a rather large construction bot, blowing it to bits and pieces. The guard had fallen back in fear from the shot and watched as Crastus retrieved his weapon and re-holstered it. "I think I'll just keep this on me then" Crastus said as he continued through the security area, not even the bots getting in his way.

Crastus followed the meeting point, trying to not think about the people staring when he found that two people were sitting right at it. The meeting point was vague at best, more or less pointing out a general area where we should all be. Either way Crastus was abit curious why two simple looking people would be going on a mission this dangerous. One of them looked like some noble and the other looked like Bill Nye, he sighed as he walked over to the two and pulled out the holo-invention he was given. "My apologies you two, I do not mean to trample on your current conversation, but you two wouldn't happen to be here meeting for this invite would you?" he ask as if he was like another normal person on the spaceport.

@Zer0 @Vespertide

Captain Moretti

Interaction: N/A

Moretti centered herself six inches from the desk of the Commandant of the Regency Marine Corps. She rendered a salute as she greeted the highly esteemed man, "Good evening, sir. Captain Moretti reporting as ordered."

"Good evening to you as well, captain. At ease." For all the horrifying rumors about the man, General Dante had a brilliant smile and a soothing voice that reminded Moretti of water washing over stones. It was almost like she hadn't heard the man drove a 48+ hour drill when his platoon acted up. "You must have been worried. To be called so suddenly to the Corps Headquarters, and by the Commandant, no less."

Moretti tilted her head in agreement, "Yes, sir."

The commandant chuckled as he shuffled a few files on his desk, "I must apologise then. It was bad form to just suddenly pull you out of duty - and under fire as well - but it was truly an urgent matter and we could not disclose any information in the transmission." That had Moretti raising her eyebrows. "The Regency Military has been extremely concerned about these rumors about a weapon. A weapon that can supposedly level planets and systems, maybe even galaxies... I can see you've heard of it." Reizenstein had mentioned a weapon of mass destruction a few weeks back, but like everyone else in her cell, she stashed the information for later as they were under fire at the time.

General Dante leaned forward, clasping his fingers together as he met the captain's gaze unblinkingly, frown tugging on his mouth. "One of the agents of the RSS was approached by someone who talked about a treasure a few days ago. The other military branches think it's just another scam."

Moretti's eyebrows furrowed, noting the way he had worded that, "But the Corps, sir?"

"Intelligence thinks it might be the weapon, but with little to no concrete details other than where to meet, we can't just send a whole recon team on what could be a wild goose chase." When the Commandant slid a holo-tablet and a datapad across the table, gesturing for her to take them, she knew she was in for a very long ride.

And that was how Moretti found herself stepping out of one of the battlecruisers docked at Spaceport 39 two days after her meeting with the Commandant. Light glinted off her visor as she tilted her head slightly to the side, grip tightening on the handle of the slim yet tall titanium crate behind her while she surveyed the area. There wasn't any being with the description the RSS agent provided as far as she could see, but it might still be too early, and standing around the designated Spaceport, out in the open, was not a good idea.

So she pulled her luggage behind her, joining the crowded lane while people gave her a wide berth - probably because of both the heavy armor and the towering crate she was pulling around like it didn't tower over her by at least a meter. While she had no real destination in mind, she began to catalogue all the possible areas that would give her the best view of the port. Each step she took was heavy but quick, the loud thuds drowned by the cacophony of the busy lane.

DookieMcGee said:
"My apologies you two, I do not mean to trample on your current conversation, but you two wouldn't happen to be here meeting for this invite would you?"
Kat turned around, and suddenly there was a tall, broad-shouldered, heavily armored and weaponized hunk standing in front of their table. Startled, she jumped and said, "Scriboline! Sorry. You just startled me. What invite are you referring to?"

She wondered if this... really over-the-top armored guy was talking about the treasure. How many people had that arthropoid talked to? And would she have to take out the competition?

Hm. Well, maybe it was a trick, or a scam. A treasure hunt? She was being amatuerish, falling for something like that. Still, if this guy was here for the treasure, maybe there was something to it. You didn't go around wearing that much armor and weaponry for kicks and giggles.

@DookieMcGee

- Dr. James Leighton -

Jame's two body guard's immediately blocked Crastus' way. The two of them were shorter than he was and were only a bit more than half as wide, despite their broad-backed and stocky build, but they stood their ground and gazed up at Crastus, steely eyed, like two young wolves sizing up an old lion.

The moment he saw the knight lumber in, James' cold green eyes lit up with surprise, which was the first honest expression he had shown since conversing with Ms. Kat. He felt a sort of excitement he had not felt ever since he was a boy.

'A Knight of Orion . . .', he thought in wonder as though seeing a childhood hero, '. . . and not just any knight, but Crastus "The Blue Death" Coldsmith . . .' There was an entire cabinet file all about this man in the archives of The Regency's Secret Service . . . So he was here for the treasure as well, the holo-tablet was the same one Matchol had given James too.

The ring of his communicator disrupted his thoughts, and his casual visage returned. James checked his iDroid. After waiting for the data to be decrypted, the face of Ms. Kat appeared on the screen under different identities.

It was a bunch of files from The Tervius Federation and it seems that the noble lady he was speaking to was in fact a thief and a con artist. "Well, well . . ." said James, and he sighed as if he had received a mildly annoying message from a friend and pocketed the communicator. Around twenty minutes for the Secret Service to get a ping on a face, they're getting slow . . . What an interesting company he found himself in.

"No," said James simply wearing a mildly confused expression as he looked at the holo-tablet Crastus presented them with. "But allow me to say it is an honor to meet 'The Blue Death'." he inclined his head slightly in respect. "Care to join us, Mr. Death? This café has the best view in the space port . . . You can see almost everything."

@DookieMcGee

"He matches our records", Lepidus reported, their shared body leaning heavily against a support strut.

"The guarded one does too. This can't be coincidence." Augustus was wary of traps, but what harm could be done? It felt Antony champing at the bit, and gave control of motor functions to the firebrand. Without pause, the besuited, handsome human male drifted towards the table, silent motors whirring beneath the few inches of fake skin. Augustus gently reminded its comrade to affect human mannerisms and forwarded the file regarding them, and Antony bristled. Nevertheless, after a few seconds the machine made to scratch its ear. One did not need thanks when one had results, Augustus supposed.

"We can hear them talking, what was the point in waiting around?"

Augustus sighed at Antony's incessant protestations. It wondered if the fragment would ever be happy with a decision that was not its own. Surprisingly to all three, Lepidus was the first to respond. "Being careful, Antony, is important. This body was not cheap."

Two to one settled the matter, but Antony remained in control. Now was not the time for bickering, all three knew that. This was serious, and none were willing to risk results to indulge in puerile squabbles. Augustus spoke through the fake lips, fake tongue, fake larynx, as the machine approached the gaggle of hard-looking individuals. It sent a white-toothed smile through the automaton, just for good measure. The monster of a man towered above the remote form, but none of the fragments were particularly concerned.

"Dr Leighton, Ms. Monroe, Sir Coldsmith."

The remote automaton nodded at each with Antony's guidance, a slight inclination of greeting rather than any hint of subservience. "I believe we have a mutual acquaintance."

Kat watched carefully as James reacted to the man. He startled her, but James seemed to have an... excited expression on his face. How strange... Kat thought. It's almost like watching a fan meet his hero. The expression dwindled after a few seconds, but Kat caught it. James introduced the man as the "Blue Death", and instantly Kat froze. Blue Death? She had heard the stories, everyone had. And while she was no common criminal, or a merchant of darkness, the fact that such a person was standing near her was enough to make her worry.

James pulled out a device, an iDroid, and looked annoyed at it. Kat tried to read his expression, but that was all she got. The Blue Death, or Mr. Death as James referred to him, stood there, and then events took a stranger turn.

Kat wasn't sure how she could describe the thing that was walking towards them, but it seemed to be some kind of robot. When it reached the table, it smiled, but it didn't seem genuine. In fact, it looked more garish than the robot was going for.

Pentagon said:
"Dr Leighton, Ms. Monroe, Sir Coldsmith."

How does he know that name?

And if he found it out, how long would it take the rest of them to figure it out? That she was a whatever-you-need, a thief, a con woman? Were these the type of people to send for the police, or just let her go? Immediately Kat smiled and drank some more tea. Keep up the game, you lose the game, you can lose everything. As long as they don't see the insecurity, you can still get away clean.

Pentagon said:
"I believe we have a mutual acquaintance."

A mutual acquaintance? What does he mean?
Kat wondered. She turned around, making her movement look as innocent as she could, counting the exits and making strategies in her head, just in case. She didn't like all of these newcomers. Her legs shifted beneath the table. She couldn't use her abilities here, in such an public place. But Mr. Death was wearing heavy armor, and she doubted the robot could move very fast. She might have to worry about the body guards, but she was pretty spry.

But just in case. Until the point of actually needing to escape, she would innocently pretend she was still Katarina Prentice, who had no idea who this Ms. Monroe was.

"My name is Katarina Prentice. I don't know a Ms. Monroe. Perhaps you have the wrong name?" Kat suggested. She glanced at James, but his expression was unreadable. "My, this table is popular today. I wonder why."

@Zer0 @DookieMcGee @Pentagon

- Dr. James Leighton -

James smiled, "Perhaps it is because of your charms, Ms. Kat." he gave her a roguish wink. A small waitress who looked intimidated appeared behind Crastus' waist.

"Er, would you like us to add more tables, sir?" she squeaked from under Crastus' elbow.

"Yes, thank you!" said James jovially. His two body guards were looking uncomfortable and almost exasperated. "And add six orders of Cerulian Super Chowhound, three of your best cakes, and six bottles of iced Acturian wine!" he added after her.

"Sir," gritted the teeth of one of his body guards, "the security risks, I don't think-"

"Oh don't worry, I'm pretty sure Mr. Death has scared off all the potential assassins." chuckled James, waving an assuring hand, " and besides, it's not everyday you meet a legend." he clearly wanted to talk to the Orion knight.

"Yes, sir . . ." said the bodyguard tiredly, though he looked like agreeing to this was against his better judgment.

"Ease up, Mark," said James bracingly, "why don't you see to our things-Josh should be arriving soon." Mark, the body guard's face suddenly became more serious.

"Yes, sir." and he was off to identify the newcomer and alert the security teams stationed in the space port in disguise. There were three snipers and two strike teams waiting on standby, after all, the safety of an ambassador of The Regency of Man was no light matter. The phrase earlier was talk in code and the appearance of the new comer alarmed James inside, after all it's not common to meet someone who knew The Blue Death's real name.

The new comer too was here for the treasure, and James was surprised to hear that Ms. Monroe too was here for the same thing. All three of them . . . was he the only one who didn't know who his travelling mates would be?

James inclined his head gracefully at the new comer. "Good day, sir. Care to join us for some wine?" and offered him a seat. "Unfortunately, your name has slipped my mind, have we met before?"

Three waiters balancing trays of sandwiches, cakes, and bottles of wine squeezed their way through the balcony where James, Ms. Monroe, Mr. Death and the new comer were all crammed-Crastus looked big enough to sit on three chairs and cover two coffee tables all by himself. They placed four tables together and the wooden legs creaked ominously as trays of sandwiches and plates of cake and six wine bottles chilling in two buckets of ice were served.

@Vespertide, @Pentagon, @DookieMcGee

Crastus chuckled lightly "I've defiantly seen better views, but I would gladly join you" he said, the sight of such a fan made his cold heart warm a tad. Crastus was very curious on what this mission held for him and it was obvious that this man knew of what was to come. He had a lot of tech that was obviously for information gain and these body guards didn't tremble in Crastus's way. He was impressed, this man obviously had some merit to him. The noble woman looked sketchy, like she was someone else. Crastus had seen many a person change their face and this was just another. She was to join their adventure so Crastus paid it no mind.

Crastus laughed lightly and took off his helmet, laying it on the table. The table started to give weigh from the helmet so he took it off and placed it on the floor "I do my best to ward away assassins, but if any come, you have no worries" He said once the guards had finally moved. He knealed o the ground since he couldn't sit in any of the chairs. He was prepared to ask some questions till he heard the odd man come over and recite their names. He looked over to the man with an odd expression. He then shook it off "Well I suppose we don't need to trade names then, our friend here seems to be well versed in them." He said and then looked over to James. "You seem to have a lot of power here or at least influence, I thank you for the food" He said and bowed his head. "Also I must congratulate your guards, you chose fine men for not backing down from me as so many here have" he said with a smile. He then looked over to one of the waiters "What ever the price, bring me your strongest drink if you would" he said in a kind and warm voice.

Each fragment suggested their own name, and all three rejected the others. Triumvirate was suggested, but it was deemed too dangerous. A solution was alighted upon, and the machine spoke. "Julius, Dr. Leighton. And you have my apologies, Ms. Prentice..." all three guessed, with various degrees of certainty, that she was lying, but they only had Lepidus' findings to go on, and Office of Military Intelligence was notorious for its slip-ups and misfilings. "...you bear an uncanny resemblance to a friend of mine. I will never make the mistake again, I assure you." Augustus controlled the servos within the human-disguised machine to give what its data told him would be the most reassuring smile.

The machine slid into the chair, sending it creaking with appropriate weight. "I agree with Sir Crastus, of course, and offer my thanks, and congratulations to your guards. I will, however, not drink, I believe. It plays hell with my digestive system, I'm afraid."

- Dr. James Leighton -

"You're welcome," James told Crastus. He looked over at Ethan, the only body guard left, who, after much squeezing through chairs, finally found a nearby corner where he could stand guard over the entire group. Ethan looked disgruntled that there were so many people.

DookieMcGee said:
"Also I must congratulate your guards, you chose fine men for not backing down from me as so many here have" he said with a smile.
Pentagon said:
The machine slid into the chair, sending it creaking with appropriate weight. "I agree with Sir Crastus, of course, and offer my thanks, and congratulations to your guards. I will, however, not drink, I believe. It plays hell with my digestive system, I'm afraid."
"They're used to being dwarfed by Hssilvirs, Gharvees, and some Flitvars in our travels." said James to the two, finishing the last dregs of his salted cheese topped green tea; The small maid who took Crastus' order gave a quick, "Yes sir!" and squeezed out of the balcony to fetch the wine.

"You see that faded scar on his cheek, Mr. Death and Mr. Julius?" James pointed at Ethan's left jaw where the barely visible white patch of a faded burn wound streaked from the bottom of his cheek down his thick neck. "He received that from brawling with a Gharvee mercenary who looked down on his battalion . . . He, like all warriors who face death almost daily, understand that cowardice and the shame of letting your comrades down is much worse than death."

James absentmindedly watched the small waitress girl prop up a tall step ladder in front of a wine rack to select the strongest brew. His tone and steely green eyes suggested that, despite his jovial aristocratic demeanor, he too feared this shame and considered it the ugliest blight on any man's honor.

The small maid came back carrying a very old bottle of "Ye Olde Firewhisky" in a bucket of ice. "Here is your wine, mister- er." the maid looked nervously up at Crastus. Despite the fact that he was kneeling, he was still taller than her by a few inches.

"Mr. Death." suggested James in a whisper, amused.

"Er-Mr. Death?" asked the girl looking at Crastus for confirmation.

@DookieMcGee , @Pentagon

Crastus Laughed out loud and rested his hand on the shoulder of the maid and said in a kind voice "You may call me Crastus my dear, while I'll shall call you beautiful" He said as he handed her a card with 10,000 dollars on it. "Now take this and do something great with your life" He said as he turned to the food and wine and smiled. "I haven't had a meal this nice in a long time, I am in your debt Dr. Leighton" He said as he finally started to chow down on the rather large chicken like creature that was roasted up and drinking from the "Ye Olde Firewhisky" like it was water.

Once he had finished with his drink he looked over to the fragmented being and noticed how odd he seemed. It was like he was having an internal struggle at all times. Like multiple programs all forced into one being. Many of the techpriests in Crastus's chapter talked of beings like this and how much trouble they truly are. Crastus knew that at some point this "being" may become a problem and accepted the fact that at some point he would slay this "Julius".

Once Crastus heard the story of Ethan's scare, he looked over to the man with a face of respect. "The Gharvee are more of an annoyance than anything now a days. I respect your values, us Knights share the same thought." He then looked down at his helmet and sighed at the thought of his lost brothers, his face showing that of sorrow for a moment, till he broke it away with a face of fake comfort. "Or knight I should say, may piece be with my fallen brothers" he said and bowed his head for a moment before continuing to eat.

Just as this conversation had been going on Chukwudi had arrived at the port and entered the diner. He sees the large group in the corner. He walks over to them. "Sorry to intrude but why are you all packed in this tiny corner? Surely there is much more room outside." Meanwhile he walks to the counter and orders some water and food before taking it back to the corner. "I'm only here for, well things I fear for my life if I mention. I am now a wanted fugitive so any refuge would be accepted though."

@DookieMcGee @Pentagon @Zer0

- Dr. James Leighton -

Ethan looked at James for confirmation on the newcomer, wondering if he should block him as he did the others.

James, mildly surprised at the sudden appearance of the Flitvar first thought that the newcomer was another one of Matchol's contacts, but he didn't introduce himself and that made James uncertain. And so he nodded at Ethan, who after squeezing through the others, immediately blocked Chukwudi from joining their table as he returned from ordering, looking like a grumpy body guard.

LocoBlock said:
"I'm only here for, well things I fear for my life if I mention. I am now a wanted fugitive so any refuge would be accepted though."
James' eyes narrowed coldly for a moment, if there was one thing he didn't like it was people without any class. A person who didn't introduce himself and who had no manners to ask first before joining a table was one of those sorts of people - and the mentioning of the Flitvar's recent status change into a wanted fugitive didn't make it any better. That wasn't a proper thing to say to someone you just met.

But if indeed there was a chance this avian was going to be his fellow travelling companion, a polite start was better than an abrasive one in the long run. "Apologies, sir, for my bodyguard, but I'm afraid you may have the wrong table." said James placidly, assuming his usual candid demeanor. "May I ask who you are?" he also glanced at Julius, Crastus, and Ms. Monroe for any signs of recognition.

@LocoBlock, @DookieMcGee , @Pentagon, @Vespertide

DookieMcGee said:
"I haven't had a meal this nice in a long time, I am in your debt Dr. Leighton"
Kat must have blacked out, which had been happening more and more lately. This time, when she came back, she noticed that food had been placed in front of them. Also the Blue Death had removed his helmet, and was speaking to Dr. Leighton. She glanced around, wondering if they had noticed her blacking out. It didn't seem that they did, or if they had, they seemed to ignore her now. The strange robot thing had sat down. I have to stop doing this, Kat decided. If this happened on a job...

LocoBlock said:
"I'm only here for, well things I fear for my life if I mention. I am now a wanted fugitive so any refuge would be accepted though."
Kat glanced at the newcomer, and wondered if anyone else was planning on showing up today. She gave him a once-over, and when she heard the wanted fugitive bit, she rolled her eyes. Oh please. If you're dumb enough to announce your fugitive status, then you deserve to get caught. Still, he looked interesting--he was an Avian, and she had only seen a few in her life. He also had an older, mature look to him. A look she had seen on many leaders and proud men.

Zer0 said:
"Apologies, sir, for my bodyguard, but I'm afraid you may have the wrong table." said James placidly, assuming his usual candid demeanor. "May I ask who you are?"
Kat looked around the table. How long before her own gig was up? Was it already up? And if it was, why were they still allowing her in their presence? Surely Dr. Leighton was important somehow, or rich enough to afford impressive bodyguards. Why would he let a thief--one of the best thieves one could afford--around him?

She grabbed a bottle and poured some of it into a glass. She concluded that he either didn't know, or he was willing to let her stay because this was where Matchol told them to meet.

"I hope you all excuse my confusion," Kat said after taking a drink, "But if we could stop dancing around the subject, I'd like to discuss what I think we all came here to do."

@Zer0 @DookieMcGee @LocoBlock @Pentagon @thespacekid

- Dr. James Leighton -

James looked at Ms. Kat, feigning surprise. In his mind, he was mulling over giving up his ruse, or continuing to pretend he was out of place just to see if something amusing was going to come out of it, but a second later, he decided that coming clean and building some outward trust would be more beneficial in the long run.

He gave Ms. Kat a sheepish smile as though confessing to have been pretending all along, and showed her the holo-tablet Matchol gave him.

"You're a very good actress." he complemented, "I had no idea you were one of Matchol's contacts, though the tattoo," James pointed beneath his left eye, "had me doubting."

He nodded at Ethan who let Chukwudi pass.

"I've been here for more than three hours," James told Ms. Kat and the rest, as he placed his holo-tablet back inside his suit, "but I haven't seen hair nor hide of Matchol. Do any of you know where or when he's coming?"

(OOC: @thespacekid (Seriously, mate, I vote to move the story forward), @Vespertide, @DookieMcGee, @LocoBlock, @Pentagon)

Zer0 said:
"You're a very good actress." he complemented, "I had no idea you were one of Matchol's contacts, though the tattoo," James pointed beneath his left eye, "had me doubting."
Kat shrugged. So much for covers. "Thanks. I'm not a contact of Matchol's, though the creep approached me and told me to come here. I'm assuming he told you people too?"

Her entire stature changed. Instead of keeping a straight posture like a noble lady, she draped one arm over the back of the chair and slouched. She reached behind her head and shook out her hair. She grabbed the bottle and took a long sip. "Oo, that's the good stuff. So. Are we going to stick with covers and stuff or..."

Kat's voice trailed off. It just occurred to her that she did recognize Dr. Leighton. She had seen his name once when she was stealing a file of some sort from an embassy. Something about a report, and she could've sworn she'd seen his name on it, somewhere. She didn't have the report, but if his name was on it, he couldn't be a nobody.

She set the bottle on the table. "Kat Monroe. Professional whatever-you-need."

((OOC: Not sure what to do here. @thespacekid need some plot progression. Perhaps an explosion, or an attack. Something exciting.))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back