System/Mechanics RPs that function differently: How are they received here?

Tsutsunee

Certified Forklift Thief (in training)
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey there, was originally gonna come to RPNation a long time ago after some other site(s) and RP places fell through in order to look to do some things. Was gonna propose a question on how non-traditional RPs with different mechanics or systems are received and treated, or customs and versions of them? (Basically some RPs that felt a little more outside of just Playing a Character / Like playing one of the games that I'm about to mention!)

Previously some years ago I was inspired by the likes of Space Station 13, Hearts of Iron, Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld to run such RPs that were a lot carried in willing participants through encouragement of RPer-driven stories and allowing people to discuss ideas and let people talk about what unspoken actions they want to take with me so that people can get whatever Character Development or secret antagonist choices without being intervened or overshadowed.

Ran quite an amount of Superhuman and Apocalyse thematics related to this with some blatant Spacestation 13 Scifi and Magic Fantasy themes that never got off the ground, usually since people didn't want to drop previous RPs and I'd usually end up experimenting with some different weird idea or mechanic. I'd love to hear about examples of stuff like this people have participated in even off this site to hear about it, since it's been a long while since I did run some things like this and I'm interested in getting back into it. The most recent things relating to this were a year or so ago, where I did some SCP and Crime City RPs of a similar calibre. (I did a lot of things based on pre-existing universes, although I tend to try to make them easy to understand and pick up for people who were familiar faces who just wanted to come along)

Let me know on anything interesting I should probably know about this, I'm currently considering re-running some older things from off this site that I have a particular fond remembrance of, which I'll probably look around ideas and what I want to settle on before perhaps looking to see what interest I can gain for certain premises. Ttyl!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back