RpNation Monthly: July 2016

RpNation

I didn't want to go swimming anyway, baka!
Administrator

RpNation Crest.png

JULY 2016 Welcome to another newsletter! I'm pleased to present the month of July. Do any of you have plans to see the fireworks? Or maybe do something equally fun and summery - a BBQ party perhaps? Let me know in the comments! I'd be happy to hear. Anyway, there are a lot of fun things below, and ahead, and two degrees left of nowhere. OvO We have an extra category in the Features section this month... Enjoy!

June Donation Badge

61_1466261515l.jpg

Dying in the summer heat? Never fear! We have this ice cold treat to help you cool off! I mean... it's pixels so don't... don't actually try to eat it. That probably wouldn't work out too well. But it sure looks yummy, right?! Thanks, @Ghost, for another wonderful badge! It's been awarded to the June donors. If you too would like a fancy badge under your name, be sure to donate to RPN's monthly campaign.

Site Updates

This section is quite barren this month, but let me tell you why. Remember the Nyte Life updates promising a dark color scheme for RPN and some structure updates? Well, you're going to get that... and so much more. @The Dark Wizard has had his nose to the grindstone working on some big projects!

All will be revealed in due time. Have patience, young padawans.

Features Would you guys like to know how many new pages of threads there were in the Creativity forum between this newsletter and the last? Five. Five!! I've had months where there wasn't even one! You're killing me kindly, my friends. I'm not even going to try to count the pages of Discussion threads, but I imagine it's an impressive number. Keep it up! Needless to say, I had a tough time picking this month, too. But pick I did, and here my picks are!

Featured Prose

If you're in the mood for something fluffy, you've come to the right place. This month's featured prose is Paintbrushes and the Complexities of Love by @SimplyMusicality, and it's a fun read! The strongest point of the piece, in my (not) humble opinion, is the characterization. Through the main characters' words and actions we have a very clear idea of the sorts of people they are without ever being told directly. It's very engaging!

“I'm an artist, I'm allowed to be covered in paint.”

“You're a sociology major, and-” Kieran let out a rather undignified “umph” as something cold and wet was spread across his face. With the back of his hand, the tall boy wiped his lips. He should not have been surprised when his hand came back purple. “As I was saying, I'm pretty sure this is the first time you've held a- hey!” This time his “friend” dragged the paintbrush across the front of his shirt. Kieran recoiled at the cold, staring at his shirt incredulously.

“Just because this is the first time I've held a paintbrush, doesn't mean that I'm not an artist.” Finn calmly assessed his friend, tapping the end of the paintbrush to his lip as he considered his next move.

Featured Artist

Dn79vbQ.jpg

This month we're taking you on a journey - an adventure, of sorts. There's a great variety of content, medium, and style in @Semblance's Adventure of the Mind, and it always keeps you on your toes, constantly finding new things to admire! From romantic couples to tech gadgets, from drawings to paintings, Semblance seems to have talent in just about everything. Drop into her thread to see!

Featured Tutorial

Something I've noticed is that many freeform roleplayers shy away from combat scenes because they can't think of a way to feasible execute one. Fret no more! The month's featured tutorial is a brief explanation of the three most important things in writing a combative post according to @Kojuen: awareness, knowing your weaknesses, and detail. Head over to his Small Tutorial on Combat to take a look!
Kojuen said:
Now, I know people go over this all the time, but these are really important in a combat based roleplay. If your character has weaknesses, acknowledge them! Character afraid of spiders and fighting a spider based character, remember this, and have them freak out, panic, or something along the lines of that. Also, know your character's ability to defend themselves. Don't be a cliche main character, and please remember not to act like one. No blocking all attacks, no walking away from others' attacks like they were nothing.

Featured Discussion

This month's featured discussion comes from the Roleplay Discussion & Advice forum! Think about the last roleplay you saw that really drew you in. What was it that you liked about it? Did it have anything in common with other roleplays that have interested you? These are the kinds of questions people are answering in @Vaughn's What makes you excited about a roleplay? thread. Take a look, either to answer the question for yourself or to research what RPN's membership is looking for.
Vaughn said:
What gets you excited to role play? Is there something in a roleplay that just gets you hyped?

Maybe link a certain roleplay that you're hyped about or that got you hyped when you started. The kinda thing you signed up for without a seconds doubt.

Featured Character

nature__s_guardians_by_thelivingmachine02-d4lss62.png
You know what this newsletter is sorely lacking? Acronyms. COISE, or Creation in Order to Inevitably Seal Earth, is a hybrid of a spriggan, a robot, and a goddess, and while the components don't blend together seamlessly in-character, as far as her creation goes the set-up is more smooth and believable than one might at first think possible. @C O I S E has put a good deal of work into his character's backstory and supporting lore, and the amount of thought that he put into it has landed him a spot for Featured Character!

Featured Music

Surprise! This month, we are featuring a work of music. Normally, we don't have a section for music, but a user took to the Creativity forums with some original music they composed within the last month and they're bringing great things to the table, including invigorating variety and, of course, gorgeous tunes. @Seelenlos is sure to get stuck in your head! Check out their thread here.

Roleplay of the Month What if you couldn't feel? Death of a loved one: nothing. Birth of a child: nothing. That's the conundrum July's RP of the month explores, and in it characters are offered the chance at something we all take for granted: emotion. If you're looking for some philosophical fun, look no further.

sVKp2cM.png

Ignite the Spark

And now some words from the GM,

@Ashmorne:

Q: What are some of the things that inspired or influenced Ignite the Spark?

A: The idea of life without emotions is something I’d always thought to be kind of interesting, especially after reading the The Giver (Lois Lowry) when I was younger. In addition to that book, I also drew inspiration from 1984 by Orwell, as well as the modern Delirium trilogy (Lauren Oliver). I think emotion ought to be a human right, and that’s where the idea for The Spark was born.

Q: How did you come about roleplaying? How did you discover RPN?

A: I discovered roleplay through a real life writer’s group. A lot of members enjoyed RP because it is a collaborative story. My friend and I wrote together over a different platform, and one day he messaged me saying “Ash, we should try this site.” I was hooked.

Q: What is the most emotional roleplay you remember participating in? What stood out most?

A: Honestly, this current RP is the one that has been the most emotional. There was this one collaborative scene that I did with @Rissa, and it was hard to write. Our characters, both of whom struggle with the concept of violence, ended up having to kill people in order to protect their city. The emotional trauma that resulted was intense. It stood out a lot because of how much they wrestled with it. We really got into their thought process, which I hadn’t necessarily gotten the chance to do before.

Q: What are your strengths, when it comes to GMing?

A: I would say that my strength lies in organization and keeping up the morale. I learned early on that you’ve got to keep things interesting, so that’s what I try to do. The players in this RP are amazing though, they make it fun. It helps when you really care about the people you’re writing with.

Q: How about weaknesses?

A: I could definitely improve my assertiveness. I have a hard time saying no. I don’t like conflict so sometimes I have a hard time suggesting edits or requesting change. Though, it’s important to keep in mind that people usually respect the lore and are willing to make changes.

Q: What is it that has made Ignite the Spark successful?

A: The group I’m RPing with is what has made it successful! Ignite the Spark belongs to all of us. Their ideas, motivation, and enthusiasm is what keeps it going. There are a few that have been with me since the start, and they make such a strong foundation for a great RP.

Q: How do you garner interest for your roleplays?

A: At first, it was through interest checks. Now that we have a solid base, it's mostly through word of mouth. Members tell others who they think would be interested or make a good addition, and our group slowly grows.
Q: What are some tips and tricks you think others should keep in mind while role-playing?

A: I think the best tip would be to really envision your character’s perspective. Get in their head. Ask yourself “is this realistic” or “does this make sense” through their lens. It makes it easier to create more dynamic, natural characters. Another tip would be to utilize the tutorials that are available on RPN. There are threads on character development, BBCode, world-building...everything. It really is a wealth of information! Last, and probably the most important, is to listen to your partners! Seek out feedback, and use it! Partners are able to view your characters from a less biased point of view, and that is incredibly helpful when it comes to growth/realism.

Q: Do you have any roleplaying pet peeves? What are they?

A: When characters are too flat, it takes the fun out of things. There should be strengths and weaknesses at play. Characters that are one extreme or another can also get exhausting. Basically, I’m not a fan of Mary Sues/Gary Lous or special snowflakes.

Q: You are the fairy princess of Elaria and the King of Dwarves has just requested your hand in marriage by presenting you with the traditional courting gift, which is a PVC pipe and also a couple of bent nails. He's doing a handstand, because a man must always do a handstand when proposing, as it is tradition. Actually, he's getting a bit red in the face waiting for you to respond.

A: The King of the Dwarves’ proposal was one that was a long time coming. Our kingdoms had been waiting for this alliance for many moons. I’d sometimes wondered if he would ever stop having cold feet and finally ask. As I stood there and watched him do his handstand, I grinned. Handing my squire the traditional pipe and nails of courtship, I crossed my arms and nodded at the King after several long moments. If I had to wait so many moons for his proposal, he could wait a few seconds for my answer.

Q: What's your saddest memory of roleplaying?

A: My saddest memory involved a friend that I no longer RP with. We wrote great stories together, but eventually we lost touch.

Q: What's your fondest memory of roleplaying?

A: That’s a hard one! I have a lot of good memories. The most recent one was probably when a new player messaged me to let me know that one of the scenes I collaborated on had really invoked an emotional response in her. Knowing that the writing achieved what it was going was great to hear!

Q: Do you have something in mind for your next roleplay? Can we get a few hints?

A: It will be a while before the next one comes out...but it’s a joint effort with a good friend of mine! There’s a lot of planning going into it. She and I are very excited. Though it's under wraps, I can give you one hint...if you join, don’t get bitten.

Member of the Month Do you like thoughtful people? How about people who are well-spoken? Do you like people who provide helpful and insightful discussion when you bring up a topic or ask a question? Yeah? ME TOO! The July Member of the Month does all of that and then some, so I'm very pleased to introduce...

48797.jpg

@ApfelSeine

And now some words from the MotM:

Q: When did you get started roleplaying, and how?

A: I started roleplaying around 2008 on an animal crossing forum. It was included as it's own topic in the forum games, and people would advertise their various roleplays. Since I'd never tried it before, I thought I'd give it a shot ^_^

Q: What are some hobbies you have besides roleplaying?

A: I really enjoy both drawing and writing, and I spend a lot of time doing that. I also enjoy crocheting little stuffed animals, acting in plays, reading, and Victorian era ballroom dancing as well as country dancing. I also play a lot of video games (mainly puzzle games and RPGs) and study Japanese whenever I have time.

Q: So, you draw chibis. That's pretty cool. What is it that you like most about drawing?

A: I really love getting to practice a skill that lets me express myself. The anime and chibi styles are the most appealing to me, but I really enjoy any kind of art because I get a great deal of satisfaction when I'm able to draw something fairly well.

Q: Any book or show or other such media that you've been excited about recently?

A: I have really been enjoying the K-drama "Boys Over Flowers" recently. I also just finished reading "The Hours" by Michael Cunningham, which I felt was very well written.

Q: What is your favourite board game and why?

A: I really like the game Quelf. I played it during my cousins' last game night and it was a ton of fun. I enjoy the unpredictability of it, as well as the fact that it requires a degree of wit (and a large amount of shamelessness). You never know whether you'll be asked to answer trivia, draw something/write a poem, get up and perform, make a costume or device out of household objects, or follow a bizarre rule. It's exhilarating and a great way to get people to loosen up.

Q: What's something that you've been working on lately?

A: For one thing, I've been working on getting my life together ( :P ). In terms of projects, I'm focusing mostly on improving my drawing abilities by designing a very extensive cast of characters. Once the school year rolls around I intend to utilize the various characters that I create while writing stories in Creative Writing. I'm thinking of incorporating all of the characters into one large fantasy world and writing several stories set in that world.
Q: What does your ideal roleplay type look like?

A: Since I enjoy almost everything in terms of setting and plot, my ideal roleplay type would be anything that is strongly character centered. Something that allows characters to play off each other and develop as the roleplay progresses. Aside from that, I also enjoy roleplays that explore morality. I am a really big philosophy and psychology buff, and so I am drawn to anything which goes in depth into subjects of "what is right?" and "why do people do what they do?". Any roleplay which can show me a perspective that I would never have thought up on my own will almost certainly become one of my favorite roleplays to participate in. Playing with one or more players who show me a point of view that I am unfamiliar with, and where the players put a lot of thought into their characters' thoughts and motivation, are things which I really enjoy. I also prefer lengthier posts, as short posts move things along too quickly for me to spend a lot of time ruminating. I tend to be somewhat slow, and I enjoy getting to analyze everything, so any roleplay which encompasses all of these things would be my ideal roleplay.

Q: What advice do you have for the readers of this month's newsletter?

A: Take proper care of yourself, both physically and mentally. Drink water, get outside, exercise, spend time with people you like, get 8-9 hours of sleep, and all of that stuff. A lot of people don't, myself included, but it's really important. We get hungry and thirsty because we need food and water. We get lonely because we need to socialize. We get listless because we need to exercise. We get sleepy because we need to sleep. It's really easy to forget that there's a reason we're supposed to do all of that healthy living stuff. Especially because humans are adaptable, and people just get used to feeling crummy all the time because feeling crummy becomes their new normal. But even if we adapt to feeling lousy, feeling healthy still feels significantly better. Try taking better care of yourself for at least a week and see if you notice any difference. I'm positive that you will ( :) )

Closing Thoughts I project that if we continue this rate of awesomeness production, we are going to break the internet and possibly the universe. In other words, nothing could possibly go wrong! Just kidding. Please don't break my internet. Do keep being wonderful users, though! I'm honestly so impressed with you all, and I hope everyone knows that for every person featured here, there's at least one other person that I also very much wanted to include but couldn't! Thanks for making RPN awesome, you guys.

RpNation Crest.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I was wondering where the newsletter was!

Anyhow, congrats to everyone who was featured, and congrats to RpN for another month of success!

stop making me inspired to do things

(but rly good work everyone this month was incredible from what i saw)

It's very satisfying that my tutorial has been featured. I hope it's a boon to those who require a specific explanation of combat situations in roleplay.

Hmm..I'd be cool if I was mentioned lol xD But I don't do anything lol I is not talented in art, rp or anything xD

Anybody can get mentioned! Everyone has a talent. ;) Find it and stick to it and show it to the community! Staff-chan always notices, n-not that she cares or wants you to notice her back or anything, baka user-senpai...

Anyway, even if you don't feel like you're talented at art or RP, there're always the discussion forums and tutorials, not to mention generally being a kind, active, and helpful member, as those are the sorts of people we look for for Member of the Month. c;

[QUOTE="Lilah Tunth]
@Naruto Uzumaki
Hey, I got mentioned once, and if I did, anything is possible.

[/QUOTE]
But I dun do anything...all I do is pm rp lol

Wow I just found out I got placed here for my music. Thank you to the admins for noticing some of my work ^^.

[QUOTE="Naruto Uzumaki]But I dun do anything...all I do is pm rp lol

[/QUOTE]
u could feature something u rly enjoyed writing as prose c:

Seelenlos said:
Wow I just found out I got placed here for my music. Thank you to the admins for noticing some of my work ^^.
Staff-chan always notices. ^-^ Definitely keep it up! You should keep posting more of your work. :D

@Naruto Uzumaki

Try something new then, write something new, try your hand at drawing, make a new roleplay, feature your character, anything! Really!

Anomaly said:
Staff-chan always notices. ^-^ Definitely keep it up! You should keep posting more of your work. :D
I will just busy with school work, I'll post more since i'm on Summer break.

[QUOTE="Lilah Tunth]
@Naruto Uzumaki
Try something new then, write something new, try your hand at drawing, make a new roleplay, feature your character, anything! Really!

[/QUOTE]
Erm..nuuu (.A.) I can't draw to save my life, I suck at creating rps and I suck at making characters...anything else you can name, I probably suck at that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back