RpN Monthly: April 2015

The Fellows

The One Account to Rule Them All

RpNation Crest.png

RpN Monthly : APRIL 2015

Ello, Lovelies!

Unfortunately, this Monthly is coming a little. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t bring many great topics!! We have the results from the April Art Contest, and a showcase for pranks users have done for a previous April Fools! We even have the prank the administration pulled on the whole site revealed (for those that didn’t catch on).

Also, it seems that we don’t have any staff changes this month, so instead that section was replaced with our Site Updates and News overview.

As always, new ideas are welcome. If you have any ideas that you believe that we should consider for inclusion in a future Newsletter, please send me a PM, and I'll run it by the Fellows! Or if you’d prefer, you may post a thread in the Fellows forum, and have a discussion there.

Many Hearts~

~ @Roo. They each speak in a tone, that stays true to the theme, with deeper meanings tucked snugly just below the surface in the thread,
My Random Junk[/justify]

Featured Tutorial

So You Want to Write is a tutorial by the user @Grey that goes into parts of writing that story-makers may have trouble with. From tips on writing cyberpunk-themed role-plays to using antagonists in the most effective way possible, this post gets in depth, and tries to cover it all.

~ @White Masquerade

Featured from Discussion

It poses a question that highlights the divide between people using technology today: Apple or Android? There are strong proponents on both side, but the overwhelming results might shock you.

Recipe of the Month
IMG_7239.jpg

Steak Calzone

Ingridents:

1 Package Pilsbury Dough/Crust

2oz. Strip Steak - cut very thin (1/4 in.)

1 cup cheddar cheese

1 egg

2 tbsp oil (veggie or canola)

1 tbsp butter

1 cup Pasta/Marinara Sauce
Budget Friendly Alternative:

3 Steak-Um Sheets

Preheat oven according to Pilsbury Dough package instructions.

On floured surface, roll out dough to roughly 9" x 9" circle. Take butter, slightly melted and butter inner side of dough. In a skillet heat oil to 350 degrees (oil is hot enough when droplets of water 'pop' on surface). Very carefully and quickly, add strips of steak in batches - Heat roughly 5-10 seconds per batch, then remove and drain on paper towel.

Once all the meat is cooked place on dough (slightly off center). Sprinkle cheese over meat. Carefully fold the dough in half over the filling. Roll remaining dough inwards, until you've created the desired 'Stromboli' shape (Crescent).

Beat egg and add 1 - 2 tsp of water until egg is foamy. Using a brush or paper towel, brush the outside of the dough until glistening. Transfer to a pizza pan.

Cook 20-25 minutes until crust is golden brown and crispy. Enjoy with a side of sauce !
:)

April Art Contest

Spring-on-Nevis_zpsqkrdqwx8.jpg

Mordecai's piece is a painting of Ben Nevis; the tallest mountain in the British Isles. It was created while staring out the window of her room, during a brief sojourn in Scotland through use of acrylic paint on sanded wood. The lines of the piece are wavy and fluid. From the top of the work to the bottom, there is a gradual decrease in light radiating from the sun, eventually falling into darker tones as it reaches the sea. Jutting out in blue above the empty plains and barren mountains, stands Ben Nevis.

The work comes together by layering four pieces together in an overlap; the waters, grass, mountains, and sky. Even throughout each segment, the art's general "swaying" nature remains intact. Though Ben Navis is the subject of the piece, there are multiple points of emphasis, ranging from the sun in the sky, to the whitecaps dotting the ocean waves. Each component plugs into one another; sections melding as one to form an outdoor landscape. In a way, it describes the solitary beat of nature. Whether there are foreign beings in its midst or not, the world still follows a course of its own.

The piece is tranquil, yet melancholy. It stirs up feelings of muted longing. A longing akin to working on the top floor of a busy office building, then gazing outside, wishing you were one of the people out and about below.

Overall, the flowing composition and "green" medium used to create this piece, make it original, and a success.

User’s Personal Pranks

Hey guys! April is an awesome month for letting loose and/or cleaning, but its known for one thing in particular! Its the first thing I think of, and not just because it starts on the first, so let me hear it for April Fools! This month, we asked you all about your favorite pranks and an awesome number of pranks fell in from the top of the door every time I checked the thread. If you want to see the whole collection, and add your own, click here!

@Atom has some sticky fingers for his pranks, his arsenal being focused around a certain trick with his School's chairs and some oblivious friends. Lets hope they don't have a falling out after any of this! For details about his mischievous trick, take a look here!

@DiamondJack won his personal Prank War with some carefully placed paint guns. May seem a bit over the top, but earlier pranks against his person gave rise to his revenge! Lets just say that Paint Guns are now banned from his local Prank Wars. For the full story of his victory, click here!

@Wifi and Worms has the flour of power in her hands as she properly sabotages her friend's hairdryer. Not to mention her culinary endeavors with salt and garlic powder and a bubble bath taken up to 11! For a full overview of her terrible awesomeness, click here!

@KillGill easily summed up his mischievous doings with a picture of himself disgracing one of the fine treats that we enjoy in the name of comedy! Indeed, his comedic efforts were not for naught as he easily got some reactions! To see his wonderfully evil plan in action, click
here!

April's actual Roleplay of the Month comes from the ever popular genre of Realistic or Modern, a category that generates a wide variety of user content. Although there were plenty of story lines mulled over and processed - our role play of the month comes from the simple prefix, and has flourished in it's element. With a wide range of characters in the ever popular high school setting, it keeps it's simple prefix by being easy to jump in and just roleplay! April's Roleplay of the Month is...

~ @Kagura

Anime High School Best Friends

And now some words from the GM:

What inspired you to start RPing?

Well I sort of just came upon it. When I started I realized that it was fun and a cool way to play out different stories. What inspired me to keep going at it was the fact I could try and test out different ideas before I write them to see if they are any good. Also try out characters that I might be trying to develop.

Was there someone in particular who helped you grow, or did you learn on your own?

I pretty much learned on my own.

Where did you come up with the idea for your roleplay?

Well actually it just kind of came to me. I just wanted to do like a fun rp about friends.

What is the first RP you remember being a part of?

Aleria

What are you planning for your next RP masterpiece?

Well right now I have started a rp called Spellz which is still open if anyone wants to join.

What is your favorite part of planning an RP? World building, character building or plot building?

Probably character building that's always fun to do.

Spring is finally here! Have any plans for those warm, sunny days??

Not yet but working on it.

tumblr_naozt74muo1r3z16po1_500-png.105289

Character of the Month

With our Roleplay of the Month, I had a wide variety of Characters to look at and peruse, each one with its own potential to become a character that gave the Roleplay its all and made the overall story a more exciting piece of work. Each Roleplayer used this pronounced potential to the best of their ability, and while I enjoyed each one, I will say that a certain Character had used its potential in a very amazing way. With a brief look into the character's backstory, told with brevity, the personality takes on a new meaning, all of the negatives and positives rolling into one neat atmosphere.

This character is none other than
Ashtyn Tucker, a wonderful 15 year old girl who has had some troubled times in her past with conflicts with money and her parents, but has nonetheless stuck through it all with her sanity. Her outward shell will warm your hearts as you read on about the girl who wishes for the day that she is seen for her true self and that her confidence grows to the point where she no longer has to hold her heart away from the vying eyes of others. @Brent, the creator of this character, has done a wonderful job bringing this character to life and has really put in some worthwhile effort. I hope you have a fun time with your character, Brent!

This month's member is someone we're proud to have as a dedicated part of our site. They've been with us for almost a year as of the end of April, and despite that time, they've stuck with us. They've returned to our site with a warm smile,friendly words, and an overall upbeat attitude that's pretty hard to beat on an almost daily basis.

They've shown themselves to be an avid role player who cares about their partners, even letting them know when responses are going to be slow. They've shown us some wonderful creative skills and a love of meeting new people that is always a pleasure to see on our site. So, we're more than happy to congratulate, and thank March's Member of the Month......

~ @Esme

14461.jpg

@MidnightAnew!!

And now some words from the MotM:

What are some hobbies you enjoy, besides roleplaying?

Well I do enjoy writing if you hadn't guessed. Though most of it tends to be here on RPN, I also do some personal creative writing- poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction. I also enjoy art, and I draw/paint when I have the time. I find it quite relaxing, especially painting. (If you poke through the art threads, mine is in there somewhere ^^'). Oh, I also like reading and playing guitar. Hm, what else...I'm currently an officer of an anime club at my school, and we just finished running our annual convention! So yes, that's exciting, though it was a lot of hard work. Basically, I'm into most creative things, anything that doesn't involve sports or math...heh... Oh, and if eating froyo counts as a hobby, I'd say that tops most of the other things I just said xP

If you could have one superpower what would it be? Why?

For some reason, I've always wanted to have invisibility. I'm not sure why, since I'm practically invisible already without the powers... /).(\ So I've been having to rethink this question, and I believe the ability to breathe underwater would be nice. It would be lovely to spend a lot of time in the sea without having to worry about drowning. I would also like to fly because the sky is always so beautiful, and I rather like heights, actually. Plus, there is much less air traffic than ground traffic- I could travel so much faster!

What is, in your opinion, the best thing you've ever written?

I think the best thing I've written may be an essay I completed last November. I took a creative nonfiction class, and we had to write personal essays. The first essay I wrote was about my crazy high school drama teacher, but the second was about the personal struggles I was dealing with at the time and how those things were affecting me. That essay was very emotional and honest- lots of feels, haha, but I worked hard on it and think it turned out pretty well. I may have had a really rough patch in my life, but at least I got a good essay out of it.

What is one of your favorite books and why?

One of my favorite books has to be
The Great Gatsby. I'm a little fascinated with the Roaring Twenties and the whole Jazz Age thing, to be honest. Call me strange, but as much as I like happy endings I also like somber ones that end in disillusionment. There's something about tragedy that just feels so real and human. Fitzgerald has a very elaborate way of writing, in my opinion. Everything is flowery and beautifully detailed, and although it may bore some people, I really like it.

Do you have any pets?

At home, I have 5 dogs and a cat. My gecko recently passed away, and I had her for about 10 years. But I don't live at home right now, and my apartment doesn't allow pets. So when I walk around on campus and see people with their dogs, it makes me miss all my dogs.

If you could do only one of the following things, which would you choose and why? Travel to Outter Space, enjoy a homecooked meal from a famous chef, learn any language overnight, live for one day as any type of animal or get Chinese takeout with your favorite celebrity?

I think I'd choose to learn a language overnight. But I get to keep those skills though, right? I've always loved foreign languages, and I wish to travel the world someday. Although I studied Spanish for 7 years, and French for 3, I can't say I feel overly confident in my skills in either language- so being fluent would be great!

How long have you been roleplaying/writing?

I've been writing since early middle school- 6th or 7th grade. One of my friends got me into it somehow, I honestly don't remember. But we wrote a Sonic fanfic together and uh...it's pretty darn awful, but there are some fond memories there, haha. Somehow, writing stories became a thing for a few friends and me during middle and high school. As for RP, I joined this site called Quizilla a few years ago. It was kind of a fanfic type site, I guess that's how I could describe it. Anyways, I started seeing all these people putting out requests for RPs and I was like what is this thing called RP? So I started out with fandom 1x1s because that was the style used over there. Since then, many people including myself went inactive, the site dissipated, and eventually it got shut down. But that's okay, because now I'm here with all of you lovely people! I've been here almost a full year now, and I hope to be here for many more!

What is the earliest character you can remember creating? Did you like the character? Do you still?

Oh goodness...my earliest character was created for a fandom Vampire Knight RP. At the time, of course I liked her. Now, I'm kind of like *cringe* oh wow...I'm glad my character building skills have improved since then. If I ever wanted to use her again, I'd have to do a lot of revamping (pun not intended).

You open the door to your home and inside there are two pigs, a llama, a French bulldog and a goat playing poker. Who wins and do you join in the next game?

Wow, talk about a
full house! Hehe, sorry I couldn't resist. The llama wins. It just does. I mean, anything that has double letters in the beginning of its name is pretty awesome, and I have a history with llamas, in a sense. Those are good enough reasons for me. And sure, I have a pretty good poker face and would join the next round depending on the betting situation- I'm a poor college student...I have basically nothing to offer.

Interviews conducted by @Elle Joyner

[/size][/size]

~
@White Masquerade

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool stuff, great job! I love how you guys always make sure all different levels of RP get a chance of being featured in RP of the Month - regardless of post lengths and whatnot, RPs of all varieties have the opportunity to turn out really great, whether that be in artistic brilliance, or merely just people having a great laugh and an enjoyable time over writing. This newsletter is always a handy little thing for picking out things people like myself might have missed too - cheers for all the effort that goes into producing this!

I enjoyed reading it, you guys did great. Congrats to everyone mentioned, and great job to the Fellows for the awesome Newsletter!

Congratulations, lovelies! Such wonderful art and work, everyone! And from someone who doesn't really like steak, those calzones do look fabulous..

The original RPForum that I frequented back in the day didn't offer things such as this. I like it! And, everything featured is quite amazing. Congratulations to everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back