• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

RpN 2.0 -Teaser-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meredith said:
This is by technical limitation - we're not taking something away just because we feel like it.
Everyone. Please read this. I am not sure why you are selectively unable to read the multiple instances where it has been stated that we are making the change because we must. xD

Meredith said:
If it's being used more often, that's fine - but typing in BBCode is, unfortunately, not an option in the updated site. This is by technical limitation - we're not taking something away just because we feel like it.
And, @Stickdom , it's been said with a fair amount of certainty you'll be able to stack effects.
My apologies, I failed to read the mass of posts between the first few and my own, I probably should have taken the time to see what had already been asked and answered. Well, I'm willing to give it a shot, but as has been echoed by several others, I'm wary of the new additions at the cost of losing every bit of the system we've spent time and effort mastering.

In the words of the ineffable Stewie Griffin:

[media]

[/media]

Anomaly said:
Everyone. Please read this. I am not sure why you are selectively unable to read the multiple instances where it has been stated that we are making the change because we must. xD
Okay, well I apologise for not seeing these points. But in my defense, the thread has been going pretty quickly.

And I wish, this was stated from the very beginning that it was being changed to this because of technical limitation, rather than what we got told multiple times; That it was more Flexible.

After all, most users don't use BBCode right? So why would they care that much? Surely it would've been better to be upfront about it from the beginning rather than trying to sell it to us as being flexible multiple times?

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Hey All,
Announcements have been slow since April/May not counting Newsletters because I’ve been hard at work over the past few months working on a complete rework to the site. This is the biggest undertaking I’ve taken since creating the site, completely dwarfing every other update we’ve had till now and we’ve had some excellent ones.

This won't be an announcement it self since its just a teaser but here are some of the things that are being worked on apart from hundreds of fixes and tons of new features.

• Increased Site Stability (Alerts, replying, much more)
  • More Profile Customization
  • PM enhancements
  • Better RP search, much more powerful activity system that can be tailored to your exact needs.
  • So....much more.

Apart from the above things I've revealed and somethings I'm still keeping a secret from the community at large, here are two things I wanted to touch upon:

The Nyte Life: Visual Update:

This update has been bundled into the new RpN rework and is more then just a dark mode, it also finally includes for the ability to change colors on the site once again. Enjoy!

The Editor:

This is one I've been screaming about for years now and something I'm particularly excited about, the editor is going to get completely replaced and no longer will we have a "BBCode" or "Rich Text" mode and the confusion of which one to use. Its just one easy to use competent editor. This also means that the bbcode parser (what lets you use the bbcode language in your posts) like so.

Code:
[accordion]
{slide=Testing 1}Info{/slide}
{slide=Testing 2}Testing{/slide}
{slide=Testing 3}Stuff{/slide}
[/accordion]

So on the new update, typing out code, won't actually do anything. Instead ALL current bbcodes and future codes are fully intergrated into the editor and work as such.

2016-07-10_13-36-05.gif

This is just a rough example of the accordion code, you just click on the respective button on the editor and you can summon effects instead of having to struggle them or have someone teach you an ancient bbcode language. Essentially the Editor will become a Whitelisted HTML Interface allowing you to use any code we create and making it easier to make more in the future to add to our ever amazing library.

The editor is getting a ton of other writing enhancements, but I wanted to leave you with just that.

Mobile App:

This is done, I'm in the process of trying to save for a new macbook so I can finally submit them to the app store.

This new version of the site is slated to be released sometime before 2017.

If you have any questions, feedback, concerns please feel free to post below :) !

[/QUOTE]
Yus!

Dwiz said earlier that the choice to remove coding tags and the ability to use coding with text (i.e,

Code:
stuff) wasn't ours, the new editor doesn't come with the option.

He's also trying to make it so everything he can do with the current editor is available in the new one. That includes customizing accordions (i.e, width, color, etc) and we're open to hearing suggestions on how to improve it once the editor is actually released. ^^

Edit:

Ninja'd lol.

And it should be flexible! Most of the limits will be users' imaginations on how to use the features. Just because the input is different, doesn't mean everyone's coding should be boring or monotonous.

For the average user being able to use them easily vs barely at all will give them a lot more freedom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stickdom said:
My apologies, I failed to read the mass of posts between the first few and my own, I probably should have taken the time to see what had already been asked and answered. Well, I'm willing to give it a shot, but as has been echoed by several others, I'm wary of the new additions at the cost of losing every bit of the system we've spent time and effort mastering.
In the words of the ineffable Stewie Griffin:

[media]

[/media]
GingerBread said:
Okay, well I apologise for not seeing these points. But in my defense, the thread has been going pretty quickly.
And I wish, this was stated from the very beginning that it was being changed to this because of technical limitation, rather than what we got told multiple times; That it was more Flexible.

After all, most users don't use BBCode right? So why would they care that much? Surely it would've been better to be upfront about it from the beginning rather than trying to sell it to us as being flexible multiple times?
Quite alright, @Stickdom ! We're all confident that you guys are going to like this.

Also, @GingerBread - it is a more flexible system. We are improving on a system that is going to break when the site updates - and keep in mind, this update does a lot more than just overhaul BBCode.

This system is going to update the text editor and hopefully make coding more useful and accessible. :)

If you guys would like to ask questions about the update (bbcode, the app, colours) that you have, feel free. This is getting really repetitive, though~

*lays on floor*

And on this day we are reminded of what it means to become old, haha. *Waves stick* Change, change, change!!!

At any rate, it's simple. Those who love the BBCode system are terrified. We spent a lot of time learning how to do it, and came to enjoy the process. It's just like those who take time to hand build vehicles, or perhaps even those that enjoy building tree houses rather than buying them. It is pride in the time that has been spent. However, it also needs to be noted that times are changing. What's most important, above all else, is the security that our site will continuously drag in a lively crowd. One must unfortunately face the fact, that our ways are not for all others. Though we may see something as limiting, it maintains the stability and allows the core of it all to live on. We love formatting, they like looking at it. Those guys love building tree houses to cherish, and the next love resting within them.

All in all, we'll just have to see how it goes. I know for a fact that the new system will be a miracle for a number of my friends, but I myself like the manual edition. Sometimes, unfortunately, change is kind of needed. Besides, who wants to see how fast we can break the new formulas?

Meredith said:
Also, @GingerBread - it is a more flexible system. We are improving on a system that is going to break when the site updates - and keep in mind, this update does a lot more than just overhaul BBCode.
This system is going to update the text editor and hopefully make coding more useful and accessible. :)

If you guys would like to ask questions about the update (bbcode, the app, colours) that you have, feel free. This is getting really repetitive, though~
Look, I'm not going to accept the fact that It's more flexible because for me, it's not more flexible, or at least I don't really see how it can be. But whatever, my point is, the main point that you guys should've been telling us, is that it needs to happen, not that it's more flexible, that should've been a bonus, not the main point. As, I'm sure a lot of people would've been more willing to accept it if it had to happen and this wasn't something you were doing just because you felt it was better, but because you wanted to keep things as similar as you could

GingerBread said:
Look, I'm not going to accept the fact that It's more flexible because for me, it's not more flexible, or at least I don't really see how it can be. But whatever, my point is, the main point that you guys should've been telling us, is that it needs to happen, not that it's more flexible, that should've been a bonus, not the main point. As, I'm sure a lot of people would've been more willing to accept it if it had to happen and this wasn't something you were doing just because you felt it was better, but because you wanted to keep things as similar as you could
You haven't seen it yet in full volume, my dear. Time will tell whether it's more flexible or not. ;)

Everyone was also told that it needed to happen, if you'd read Dwiz's messages throughout the thread. We tell you things because we want you to know them, user-senpai - just live with the knowledge that an update is going to happen and we're trying our best to communicate with y'all.

So I've gone through and read every single page in this thread. I've read every post, every concern, every excite. I've finally come to my conclusion! 8U

1. I'm excited for more profile customization. I'm from the generation where MySpace was actually a thing and customizing profiles are always fun.
xD

2. I would love PM enhancements~

3. OH THANK GOD FOR BETTER SEARCHES. I wonder, will roleplay tags still be a thing with this? I like roleplay tags.
xD

4. I'm looking forward to Nyte Life, but even more so... the option to change my theme color from blue to green makes me giddy as a Gideon. > w<

5. In regards to the editor, I understand this is a major concern (and sorry, Wiz, I'm gonna touch on it just a tad for my two cents). I can't say that I'm not somewhat concerned. I'm really big into BBCoding myself. But on the same coin, we weren't given much information on what exactly we'll be given. We've gotten snippets here and there, but we really don't know the final product until it's presented to us. So, yes I'm apprehensive, but at the same time, I'm curious to see just exactly what we get and what it's capabilities are. I'm eager to know what my limits are again, and what I can create from what's provided. And thank god for no more code breaks.

Overall, I'm looking forward to what's to come. Do not disappoint! >8U

edit;; HTML capabilities mayhaps be an option?

Meredith said:
You haven't seen it yet in full volume, my dear. Time will tell whether it's more flexible or not. ;)
Everyone was also told that it needed to happen, if you'd read Dwiz's messages throughout the thread. We tell you things because we want you to know them, user-senpai - just live with the knowledge that an update is going to happen and we're trying our best to communicate with y'all.
I haven't seen it yet, but I don't have faith in it.

Not in the opening post, it was just going on about how good the new BBCode stuff was, and that's the thing most people are going to see. Nowhere in there does it say anything about this having to happen because of Technical issues with the system we use now. And Like I said, that should've been the main point there, because everyone seemed to accept it easier once they were told that it had to happen because the system we use was messing up the site.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]This is one I've been screaming about for years now and something I'm particularly excited about, the editor is going to get completely replaced and no longer will we have a "BBCode" or "Rich Text" mode and the confusion of which one to use. Its just one easy to use competent editor. This also means that the bbcode parser (what lets you use the bbcode language in your posts) like so.
Code:
[accordion]
{slide=Testing 1}Info{/slide}
{slide=Testing 2}Testing{/slide}
{slide=Testing 3}Stuff{/slide}
[/accordion]

So on the new update, typing out code, won't actually do anything. Instead ALL current bbcodes and future codes are fully intergrated into the editor and work as such.

2016-07-10_13-36-05.gif

This is just a rough example of the accordion code, you just click on the respective button on the editor and you can summon effects instead of having to struggle them or have someone teach you an ancient bbcode language. Essentially the Editor will become a Whitelisted HTML Interface allowing you to use any code we create and making it easier to make more in the future to add to our ever amazing library.

The editor is getting a ton of other writing enhancements, but I wanted to leave you with just that.

[/QUOTE]

Meredith said:
One more question: I'm on the site via my phone's browser often (and until the app comes out) how accessible will the new editor be via mobile? Again, I've forgot what the text editor even looks like, so I apologize if the answer seems a lil obvious

GingerBread said:
I haven't seen it yet, but I don't have faith in it.
Not in the opening post, it was just going on about how good the new BBCode stuff was, and that's the thing most people are going to see. Nowhere in there does it say anything about this having to happen because of Technical issues with the system we use now. And Like I said, that should've been the main point there, because everyone seemed to accept it easier once they were told that it had to happen because the system we use was messing up the site.
Rissa said:
One more question: I'm on the site via my phone's browser often (and until the app comes out) how accessible will the new editor be via mobile? Again, I've forgot what the text editor even looks like, so I apologize if the answer seems a lil obvious
Pyosimros said:
Quick question - would one be able to still type in traditional code and such?
@GingerBread

Don't cry over spilled milk, please. We said what we did and it's been clarified.

Furthermore, you can have however much faith you want, but the thing is the empire nation will continue to stand with BBCode. :P

@Rissa

To my understanding, this update should be coming out all at once - with the mobile app and the new site. So it should all work together~

@Pyosimros

Unfortunately, no - due to technical limitations, BBCoding will be exclusive to buttons.

Meredith said:
@GingerBread
Don't cry over spilled milk, please. We said what we did and it's been clarified.

Furthermore, you can have however much faith you want, but the thing is the empire nation will continue to stand with BBCode. :P

@Rissa

To my understanding, this update should be coming out all at once - with the mobile app and the new site. So it should all work together~

@Pyosimros

Unfortunately, no - due to technical limitations, BBCoding will be exclusive to buttons.
giphyanime.gif

Uhm, okay! So ehh... Would all the features BBCoding has (more specifically the coding in the guides) be in the buttons?

Meredith said:
@GingerBread

Look, I hate being a broken record but, don't just brush off my point because it got clarified later, because without us complaining that would've never happened. I just want you guys to be upfront with us, since we're the one percent of people who use BBCode on here.

But I'll shut up

Pyosimros said:
giphyanime.gif

Uhm, okay! So ehh... Would all the features BBCoding has (more specifically the coding in the guides) be in the buttons?
That is what they are saying. And if they forget something when the update comes out, they can add it in later.

@Pyosimros

Oh and could I also ask that the answers to the questions that you guys gave, be added to the main page. Because I can't find the one about what will happen to pre-existing code and I don't want to ask again. (Though, I guess I kinda did. Sorry :P )

GingerBread said:
Look, I hate being a broken record but, don't just brush off my point because it got clarified later, because without us complaining that would've never happened. I just want you guys to be upfront with us, since we're the one percent of people who use BBCode on here.
We're trying to be up-front with you guys as we can. I'm sorry that you don't feel the initial announcement was enough, but it's been sent and is hardly getting changed, seeing as this thread has already been seen by over 650 users.

Complaining isn't productive - asking questions is. Questions you guys had were answered. That's why we don't lock update threads. :P

Which brings me back to the point of this thread - does anyone have any questions?

GingerBread said:
Oh and could I also ask that the answers to the questions that you guys gave, be added to the main page. Because I can't find the one about what will happen to pre-existing code and I don't want to ask again. (Though, I guess I kinda did. Sorry :P )
Pre-existing code should, to my knowledge, be carried over as accurately as possible. :)

mayhem TR4NQU1L17Y] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/4930-meredith/ said:
@Meredith[/URL]
Except glitches.
But it's been said lots of glitches are getting their own buttons, so long as they're not site-breaking. :P

@Meredith

Which I want to see what makes it over and what not. =w= / That and the possible giant thread of suggestions and what not in what to transfer over to the new system. So, thangs won't disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back