RPGs with interesting protagonists?

Orphalesion

Hey, I have a bit of an unusual taste in RPGs (video game RPGs that is) in that I prefer to play a pre-defined, fully fleshed-out character rather than one I create myself.

This has two reasons:

1) I started with JRPGs, and they tend to have pre-defined characters.

2) A computer game, unlike a GM or RP partner cannot properly react to the way you envision your character, and you are often limited to a very limited number of choices when it comes to dialogue. The Elder Scrolls and Fallout are the best (worst?) examples here...those games don't have main characters (imho) they have featureless player avatars.

So my question is does anybody know some good RPGs available for PC that feature interesting, pre-defined protagonists who's story you get to follow in the game (or better yet a whole party of them?)

Merci.

Well, my first thought is Booker Dewitt from Bioshock Infinite. He has a distinctive voice, personality, and backstory without being too intrusive to gameplay and other such fun.

If you want a JRPG, then maybe Tales of Zestiria? The characters are interesting, if a little clichéd, and their interactions are often hilarious to see. You'll want a good computer, though; anything higher than the lowest settings kills my framerate.

I also completely prefer playing with characters with likeable personalities and good dialogue. I find it really hard to go back to RPGs with silent protagonists now. They're really, really boring.

Not to jack the topic, but does anyone have any good recommendations for the 3DS or Wii U as well? My computer can barely handle solitaire so I avoid PC games. xD I liked Rune Factory 4 and Bravely Default but I've been looking for new games.

Anomaly said:
Rune Factory 3.
And 2.

Maybe not 1.

And basically everything related to those games.
I actually managed to get RF3 for a good price on eBay a week or two ago, just waiting for it to ship to me. > :) they're such unique games that I realized my only option to play a game similar to RF4 was to go back and play RF3. xD (I can't get into harvest moon after playing RF4, since rune factory is everything harvest moon is and then way more imo)

Cloudburst said:
I also completely prefer playing with characters with likeable personalities and good dialogue. I find it really hard to go back to RPGs with silent protagonists now. They're really, really boring.
Not to jack the topic, but does anyone have any good recommendations for the 3DS or Wii U as well? My computer can barely handle solitaire so I avoid PC games. xD I liked Rune Factory 4 and Bravely Default but I've been looking for new games.
I'd say give Fire Emblem a go even though it's turn-based strategy/RPG it has a great cast in most of the series, also Xenoblade Chronicles if you have a New 3DS though i think it's available on Wii U as a download.

I'm not sure if all or even any of these are available for PC... Beyond Two Souls was the VERY first thing that popped into my head. I'm sitting here thinking of games... But I'm really not sure of any others... I mean, Condemned Criminal Cases (I might have the name messed up) has a pretty defined character, but I haven't played it all the way through, so I can't say that I know all that much about it. Dark (that's the name) is a different... infuriating vampire one. It's infuriating because I'm not very good at "sneak" games. I'm a Dragon Age, Fable, Kingdoms of Amalur, I'm-going-come-at-you-with-a-sword-and-magic kind of girl. Aren't the Assassin's Creed games pre-defined? I've never played them.

Really sorry is absolutely none of that is what you're looking for.

IG42 said:
I'd say give Fire Emblem a go even though it's turn-based strategy/RPG it has a great cast in most of the series, also Xenoblade Chronicles if you have a New 3DS though i think it's available on Wii U as a download.
I have Awakening. It was very well done, haven't been able to maintain interest to finish it though. Most of the characters were pretty forgettable imo, but I liked Robin. I'd buy Xenoblade Chronicles in a heartbeat if it was on the Wii U eShop, but it's only available in the PAL region (Europe actually has a lot of cool Wii games that aren't available in NA or even in Japan.. what gives? xD ) Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Thanks for everybody's answers. I actually have a 3DS so those suggestions are actually pretty useful as well :-) Bravely Default was a great game.

Might look into Tales of Zestrinia (that one looks REALLY good) Dark, Bioschock Infinite and Fire Emblem

I think any of the Final Fantasy titles are worth looking into. If you're looking for PC specific stuff, I think some have been ported over? At least if what I remember on Steam wasn't me just imagining things ...

Asterisk said:
I think any of the Final Fantasy titles are worth looking into. If you're looking for PC specific stuff, I think some have been ported over? At least if what I remember on Steam wasn't me just imagining things ...
Thanks dude, have played them. All except XII and XIII (and the MMOs) and those I just didn't like ;-)

Orphalesion said:
Thanks dude, have played them. All except XII and XIII (and the MMOs) and those I just didn't like ;-)
Haha cool cool! Check XII. Not X-2. The story, the characters, and the art are simply wonderful! Also, Star Ocean is pretty neat. Not sure if that's on PC though.

Anomaly said:
Well, my first thought is Booker Dewitt from Bioshock Infinite. He has a distinctive voice, personality, and backstory without being too intrusive to gameplay and other such fun.
This and dear god, if you haven't played the dlc's you need to

Barbas said:
Geralt from the Witcher series.
Also this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back