RP Concepts: How Close is Too Close?

Sleipnir

The Eight-Legged Norse Horse
I got a big question here.

"How close is 'too close'?"

I have a roleplay idea that I'm pretty dang attached to right now. It's not particularly unique as a whole I don't think, but I have only seen one roleplay on RPN like it.

The problem is, I was in that roleplay for awhile.

I had to drop out because a 2-week backpacking trip put me so in the loop that I couldn't get my footing back.

The idea I have isn't complete yet because the antagonist is completely undefined. It's a fantasy roleplay with a fairy tale theme, specifically "normal" (not really in their case) mundane humans brought into a magic world. (However I have a thing for ridiculous stories no one has ever heard of. Ever read the Black Bull of Norroway? Go read it, it's really weird.)

The question is, how close is too close for a base concept?

So do you mean how close to an original concept - i.e. a roleplay someone else created - OR how close to a professional fandom - ie. a book?

Because honestly if the hoard of anime / school / tween romance roleplays has taught us anything it's you don't have to be original to make a roleplay. I mean if your borrowing from someone else's idea I'd at least give them a quick pm to let them know your using a similar premise ( in case they might find that offensive for some reason ) but if your basing it on an established fandom - no matter how obscure - then I don't think it's too big of a deal if you copy from someone else.

So in short - it's never too close as long as you ask permission if it's another roleplayers idea

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back