Advice/Help Roleplay Tips

Voidshard

Magic Eight Ball
I've been wanting to ask this because I had troubles when I try to post/write a reply in certain situations in roleplays, especially when I try to make a starter. Do you guys have any form of guidelines when you try to constructively create replies or starters? I would gladly appreciate it!

When I reply, I tend to focus a lot on what my character is doing/thinking, which sounds fairly vague at first but it's easily the best way to really fill out a scene.

A character can simply say "Got it, thanks," but the real meat and potatoes comes from explaining their facial expressions, how they are standing, and any inner dialogue they may be having. If a character is sitting at a chair and musing on something, I generally describe them squirming a little. They could shift in their seat, put a leg up on their knee and tap their chin. If it's action, I try to think of how the character's mind would reconcile the pure focus on the combat. Does their technique come with a certain breathing form? Are they swinging for a particular target?

Admittedly, sometimes I find myself padding things a wee bit incessantly, but the layers of writing and detail can paint a scene. It also lets me elaborate on how the character says "got it, thanks." Saying that they roll their eyes before speaking, or that they snap to action after responding to the other character, can tell so much without explicitly saying things. "Show, Don't Tell" might be something of a platitude, but when feel like a post is sparse you can get some absolute mileage out of listening to that advice.

I like to focus on two things. What is my character responding to and what am I writing for other people to interact with?

Roleplaying must have momentum. Let the momentum die and your roleplay ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back