Roleplay Intimidation

Cipah

Back from the Dead?
I don't know about everyone else here, but I get too anxious in role plays. I have a knack for writing and I'm sure I can really do good stuff, but I find myself unable to reach my full potential in RPs because I'm too afraid of taking the story in a way that other won't like.

Have you guys ever played those Telltale games? The ones where you pick your choice but it never affects anything and is only really an illusion? That's what I feel like I'm doing in a lot of roleplays. Due to being to nervous to actually do something in the story, I avoided writing anything that could be any good. Sure, my character did stuff, but nothing they did actually had an effect on the story. You could take them out and things would be exactly the same. I wanna change that, though. I feel like if I don't focus much on what other people will think, then I can genuinely enhance an RP and make it more enjoyable for everyone in it.

Does that make sense to anyone?

I wanted you to know I seconded Rae's answer Cipah. I've never seriously done a 1x1 or are a fan of them, but in this case, I can see the value of it. A 1x1 would certainly help you "grow" in a sense, out of that intimidation.

I don't know about everyone else here, but I get too anxious in role plays. I have a knack for writing and I'm sure I can really do good stuff, but I find myself unable to reach my full potential in RPs because I'm too afraid of taking the story in a way that other won't like.

Have you guys ever played those Telltale games? The ones where you pick your choice but it never affects anything and is only really an illusion? That's what I feel like I'm doing in a lot of roleplays. Due to being to nervous to actually do something in the story, I avoided writing anything that could be any good. Sure, my character did stuff, but nothing they did actually had an effect on the story. You could take them out and things would be exactly the same. I wanna change that, though. I feel like if I don't focus much on what other people will think, then I can genuinely enhance an RP and make it more enjoyable for everyone in it.

Does that make sense to anyone?

I wonder if that is how you felt when you RPed with us in the principle journey as Cetra Kor?

Perhaps it is, since the type of GM I am is that who is rather uncompromising regarding many elements of a story.  I certainly hope I have become more accepting and lenient. In fact, when it comes to story writing if you were to be a CO-GM or SiC for an RP, you would be great at telling a story and probably leading characters through your story.

I wonder if that is how you felt when you RPed with us in the principle journey as Cetra Kor?

Perhaps it is, since the type of GM I am is that who is rather uncompromising regarding many elements of a story.  I certainly hope I have become more accepting and lenient. In fact, when it comes to story writing if you were to be a CO-GM or SiC for an RP, you would be great at telling a story and probably leading characters through your story.

Oh, hey again. Been a while. Sorry about bailing. You weren't a bad GM or anything, it's just I can be touchy and flake on things to easily. Not to mention my real life steals me away from this kinda thing quite often.

Perhaps I should make a story of my own at some point. I suppose I'll have to learn how to manage people in order to do that; I've never been much of a leader.

I'm glad you remember me, anyway. Good to know I left some kinda impression, even if it may be a bad one.

Oh, hey again. Been a while. Sorry about bailing. You weren't a bad GM or anything, it's just I can be touchy and flake on things to easily. Not to mention my real life steals me away from this kinda thing quite often.

Perhaps I should make a story of my own at some point. I suppose I'll have to learn how to manage people in order to do that; I've never been much of a leader.

I'm glad you remember me, anyway. Good to know I left some kinda impression, even if it may be a bad one.

No need for apologies. I doomed the RP myself, it is I who should apologize to you my former player. I have reincarnated the RP and we are doing great now going on our 3rd month with 10 members!

I make it a point to remember all my RPers as I am very appreciative they took any amount of time to roleplay my story.

You resurrected it? I'll have to read through it then. I admire the thoroughness you put into building the world. You really turn RPing into a medium through which we can explore different worlds. Perhaps we can roleplay again sometime. I'll try not to wimp out next time. :)

I don't mean to step in as the odd one out, since I don't know anyone in this thread, but I thought I'd say I know how it feels. It really depends on the GM whether or not you can get away with having your character play a major role in a story. I've had the good fortune in the past two years to find GMs that are quite forgiving and willing to compromise. Although I started acting that way as a GM about three years ago, I can happily say they influenced me to be more open and amenable whenever possible.

In one of my most recent experiences, I frequently asked the GM about some ideas I had with my character and whether or not it would be okay to implement them. Similarly, I asked the same about some details in the setting. We worked out a compromise so I could still get the plot I wanted, but it was better expanded to fit into a group-based RP (I'm more familiar with 1x1). Similarly, as a GM, I found a way to keep the 'theme' of another player's character intact even though they couldn't bring their magic with them into the setting we had. We've been happily roleplaying ever since!

Just look for the right kind of GMs. They're out there. Roleplaying is a lot more fun when nobody feels left out! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
As a GM, I try to give every player character equal spotlight and opportunity to influence both the narrative and the world. 

But if a player doesn't take that initiative I can only contrive so many ways to offer them the chance.  Some people just like to be along for the ride.

So as others have said - I reckon if you can find the right GM and group to play with, where you have the freedom to explore your ideas but there's someone keeping everything harmonious, it ought to build you confidence for more strongly influencing stories you're in elsewhere. 

@Cipah

Look dude, when it comes to the GM it really all depends on what their going for.

If the GM has a set story that they don't plan on changing, then yes, it will be like one of those telltale games (because you as a RPer will be making decisions, but It wont affect their story).

There are also GM's that, although have a story line in mind, will give the RP'ers power to change certain events, and shape the story, as long as it follows the GM's set story line (if this was the hacker world, they would be the grey hats)

There are of course GM's that have NO story line or plot in mind, and that is where YOU the RP'er can really create you story, and can really change the world around you (most of these will be apocalypse or plain open world rp's).

That's all I can say for that, so good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back