• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Returning Through The Gaps [Closed]

Charlie took the hand he offered and shook it. "Your really an alien?" she said, dumbfounded. "You've been in space?"

Charlie was a nebula of reactions. She was awestruck that this was really happening to her. It had to be real, it had to be, because if she were dreaming or cracking up it would be about sorting her socks. She was never that creative. There was a sense of relief that he knew what he was doing, that they had someone to follow, and that there was a plan to get Travis back. Professor- or the Doctor, rather, said he had been trapped by them before, but yet here he was.

Most of all, though, she was excited. She could feel adventure coming like some people could sense a storm: in her bones.

"Well," Charlie said a moment later after the initial surprise had worn off, "I suppose that explains some things, just a bit." A moment after that followed rakish grin.

Charlie took the news much more gracefully than most people. Most of all, she didn’t doubt him. Though she questioned it at first, it was rhetorical. She was grasping the idea quite well and quite smoothly, so the Doctor smiled through her reactions.

He laughed a bit at her conclusion, “I was never good at blending in. Rubbish, really,” he said, and brushed a hand back through hair he still didn’t know the color of. “And I really need new clothes.” That, of all things, was still his biggest concern. Not Travis. Not the angel. Clothes.

So his relief when Melissa returned was genuine, since it meant he was soon to be free of this mess. She had the glasses and the mirror paper, though not cut out into the right sizes. “Here,” she said, letting them fall onto the table.

“Scissors?” The Doctor asked, looking around to see if there was a pair scattered about somewhere. Melissa just walked right to a portfolio holder and took a pair out of the top shelf, and offered it out to him, “Ah, thank you!” And he went right about cutting out the mirrored paper, making four pieces of it, just in case, to apply to either side of each lens. “Then just tape these over the creature’s eyes, and viola!” He brought his hands together in a single clap, “You should be safe. I’d suggest returning it, but,” he looked at it directly, “Perhaps it would be good to study it. I’ve wondered about them for a good while.”

He knew very little about them, but enough to know he disliked them almost as much as he disliked daleks. They had stolen Amy and Rory from him. For that, perhaps a bit of inhumane experimentation would be good.

Charlie laughed as the Doctor lamented his outfit. She couldn't stop herself, putting a hand over her mouth. She supposed it was probably one of the more acceptable reactions she could be having right now, everything considered. She watched as he quickly cut up the paper.

"Another villain thwarted by tinfoil," she mused.

The idea of studying the Angel seemed like a reasonable one to her. There wasn't much of a place to return it to, so the next best thing was to get a better understanding. Maybe if they did, things would be different the next time one was found.

"Well, that part was much easier than expected," Charlie said. "What's next?" She had no intention of being left out of this, and she already knew that the best way to get included was to shamelessly include yourself.

The Doctor snickered at the idea of a foe being bested by tinfoil. He supposed that did happen in a lot of Earth movies, though, or such was the popular theory. Minds couldn’t be read while wearing them. Oh, how wrong they were.

Melissa looked a bit anxious when the Doctor offered the glasses to her, and spoke after Charlie, “Would you, ah, mind?” She had just seen Travis get taken away—or rather, not seen, but knew he was taken away.

“Oh, very well,” the Doctor sighed and looked to Charlie, “Well, if you want something to do, you can come shopping with me, and then we’ll go get Travis,” then he’d let them both off here and go back to adventuring. He started to walk towards the door to enter the room with the angel, but paused and turned back towards Charlie as he placed his hand on it, “Oh, and one question, just in case I don’t survive this: am I ginger?”

He had to know. If he was going to be killed by some fluke with the angel, he had to know if he was at least, once, ginger.

In her head, Charlie did a victory dance. She was tagging along. Even a shopping trip was bound to be interesting with this guy, and he looked like he could use a whole committee's worth of help. That was, if he survived trying to take down this Angel with his homemade contraption. But he was an expert, so if anyone could do it, it would be him.

Was he... ginger? She wondered briefly if this was some kind of euphemism, or weird alien slang. Her eyes naturally gravitated toward the top of his head, checking to see if she had missed something.

"Um, yeah," she said lamely. "Red as the devil himself." She blinked once, then smiled.

The Doctor’s grin widened so much, it looked like it might break his face. “YES! Finally!” It was just a shame there was no one to really show it to. No one who understood, anyway. He’d always wanted to be ginger. It was such a pretty hair color, and even rarer among Time Lords than humans.

Now he had it!

He turned right around and walked into the room with the angel with a bit of swagger now, and saw the lights flicker, “Ah, ah, I really, really wouldn’t do that,” of course that didn’t stop the flickering, and he slowly reached for his screwdriver.

When the lights went off, the light of the screwdriver clicked on, casting a green glow all around, and catching the angel in its sights, “I told you,” he informed it, and then dropped the glasses onto the angel’s face, leaving it forever in a lunging posture. He turned around and flicked the screwdriver off, just to test it.

Just to be sure.

In what felt like a minute, but could have only been five seconds, the Doctor remained unharmed. He walked back to the door and opened it to walk out into the room with the women. “I’d tape the glasses to its face, just in case. Or glue.”

Melissa was just gaping at him, so he turned to Charlie, “Shall we be off then? I haven’t a clue where to find a clothing shop from here.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back