Resources suck

If your players care about the cost of grain in chiaroscuro vs the rising cost of papyrus in nexus and exactly how much those red jade eyebrow tweezers cost, then sure, go for it.  If not, I think you're wasting your time to adhere to a strick sense of accounting and not necessarily for anyone's benefit.

One of the things about exalted is that the money system isn't important, plain and simple.  Artifacts are handled separately and are not supposed to be handled via resources, so resources are there to cover either all the menial crap that you shouldn't bother getting in depth about and stuff so large that an arbitrary resource value is easier to handle than an arbitrary cost in jade since neither will really be dead on.  The money your character has is a background, it's not a focal point around which your character is based.  Compared to everything else that does take center stage, money doesn't need a complex system because who really cares about it?  It's a point of vanity for most characters, and if you have to count every obol you spend, then you're losing the benefit of having it in the first place.  You take resources so you don't have to worry about these things, not to give yourself more work to do.

Another problem comes down to the fact that resources really is, no matter how you look at it, an abstraction, once you reach a certain point.  In real life, you can look at how much you make on a yearly basis and determine what your equivalent resource rating would be, but it's difficult for all but the most obsessive to come up with a liquidated gross value of everything you own.  Resources isn't just what you have in your pockets, in your bank accounts or stashed away in a shoe box under your bed; it is your capability to continue generating income as well as everything of value that you own.

If your sense of reality demands such petty details be filled in, go ahead, but you really aren't adding anything to the game.  Abstraction, in this department, is a blessing, don't waste it.  The two pairs of socks and a belt analogy can be handled with fluff, since it really is fluff.  I don't disagree that you should have a realistic cost to each of these items, but that's not to say that you should bother wondering how much your character has left after such a transaction.

Ormseitr said:
While I totally agree with you as to storytelling being replaced with accounting I do see a point in taking a little of the abstraction out of the ressources system.
Here's the thing.  What a lot of people miss is that Exalted has both systems - the 1-to-5-dot Resources meter, AND the more complex economic model.  You obviously have the choice of using whichever your game and players favor more, but the game starts with the assumption that the simpler system is the default.

Now look at D&D - and virtually all other game systems.  You have this long, itemized list of items and their costs.  In other words you have the same "complex economy" that Exalted can offer.  But, you don't get to fall back on the simple default.  There is no simple default, no "Poor/Rich/Struggling" rating.

I'm not saying that you should never, ever use a more complex economy.  What I am saying is that, for much of Exalted's genre, the more complex model is a distraction and that it should not be required.  When you do want to get into trading and wealth-building, you can.  But when you don't, you aren't compelled to.  That is not a flaw or a lack of "realism", as some people seem to be suggesting in this thread.  That is a strength.

My players actually perfer the monetary value system, tracking every Dinar they gain and spend.  They actually don't like the Resources system very much, as a full time adventurer may only have Resources of 2 even though he has a stockpile of 1000 Silver Talents in his hidden Manse.

That is exactly my point.

If your circle of Solar Exalted have accounts with the guild, and they adventure full time finding the kinds of loot that the Exalted ordinarily find, they are going to accrue a huge amount of money in fairly short order.  

In the example above, 1000 silver Talents is enough to destabilize a small kingdom, driving prices through the roof.  If you give it to your guild financier, where the hell is HE going to keep it?  If you have enough money in various banking houses, or your character is sufficiently awesome in business concerns, me may decide to do a few things that the resources system doesn't really cover:

One member of a circle wanted to buy Nexus.  The frightening part was that while he wasn't actually in a position to do so, he was in comfortable sight of a position to do so.  At what resources can you buy a city?  Can you keep doing that?  I doubt it.  Cities are expensive.

I have to run, but more later

As Memesis have explained before the fault isn't with the ressources system. Actually I don't really think there is any fault at all. The system is an excellent abstraction to fall back on if your chronicle doesn't focus on monetary concerns. In a chronicle, where the above example (city bying, guild accounts etc) comes into play more detail is surely needed and can easily be added. In a campaign with other themes it would just be an annoying distraction from roleplaying that you lack two obol (or whatever) to by a new scabbard for your sword.

A part of the chronicle I am running is nation building and trade. Actually they have been in the process of introducing the concept of money to the people they are ruling. So the question of how many silver pieces a sheep should be worth is pretty relevant. We care about it. That doesn't mean the ressources background is obsolete, just that we need more detail. Fortunately it is easy to expand the background with actual money.

HardKor said:
One way to fix it and keep witht the resources system is to use temporary resource points. [...]
That's how I work it, and it keeps it all nice and tidy then; once its gone, its gone.
How do you handle it when a player decides to invest their treasure haul (temporary resources)?

--------------------

I also dislike the Resources system, though I live with it.

When the Resources 5 player decides to make unlimited Resources 4 purchases of jade, silver, etc., eventually accumulating to Resources 5+ separately from their own Background rating, that is quite annoying.  There are several methods of handling this, but none are what I would describe as ideal.

I would also like to see a good price and equipment list somewhere.

A friend of mine got frustrated with the 1st Ed currency a long time ago, and changed it somewhat.

Resources 1 means you have money, but not a whole lot of it.  (10x Resources 0).

Resources 2 means you have 10x "Resources 1", and can make 10 Resources 1 purchases or "effectevely infinite" resources 0 purchases.

Resources 3 means you have 10x "resources 2" to spend; and spending "resources 2" 10 times means you're dropped down to resources 2.  You can also be considered to have 100x resources 1; spending resources 1 100 times would also drop you to "resources 2".

This would repeat as far as necesarry.

Loot would be handled in numbers of resources x, and high background effectevly make low cost items "free".  

It's not "real", but it's not severe in accounting either.

-g3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back